Canon Pro-1000 driver - No Colour Correction option

Started Jun 28, 2016 | Discussions
Mr Owl
Mr Owl Regular Member • Posts: 100
Canon Pro-1000 driver - No Colour Correction option

Hello All, i bought a Canon Pro-1000 printer recently & only just found out that the newest driver from Canon website does not include an option for no colour correction. This looks like a big oversight for an A2 PRO printer! I can't therefore profile the printer using my ColorMunki Photo which requires this function.

Does anyone else have this problem or can offer a workaround?

I'm on El Capitan 10.11.5 on a late 2015 model iMac with retina screen.

Thanks for any advice.

-- hide signature --

Mr Owl

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,986
Re: Canon Pro-1000 driver - No Colour Correction option

Seems hard to believe but I'll take your word for it since I dont have one

If you can save the .tif file from the CM software, you can use the Adobe Color Printer Utility or use the 'print as target' functionality from ColorSync Utility.

EDIT: if the printer has just been installed, are you *sure* you did NOT select Airprint as the driver when you added it to the system?

-- hide signature --

Online civility: Before you press 'Post', ask yourself if you'd say that to someone face to face.

ColourPhil
ColourPhil Regular Member • Posts: 470

Howard Moftich wrote:

If you can save the .tif file from the CM software, you can use the Adobe Color Printer Utility or use the 'print as target' functionality from ColorSync Utility.

EDIT: if the printer has just been installed, are you *sure* you did NOT select Airprint as the driver when you added it to the system?

It's quite likely that this is like other modern Canons and Epsons, where the option to turn off Colour Management in the driver isn't there, but is actually working when driven by Application Colour Management from Photoshop, LR, ACPU, etc.

Will show as 'Colorsync', which it is in a way, and be greyed-out and unselectable.

It *should* work, but don't blame me if it doesn't.

Please see here:

http://www.colourphil.co.uk/printing-canon-mac.shtml

-- hide signature --

www.colourphil.co.uk

ColourPhil's gear list:ColourPhil's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax KP Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro +3 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,189

ColourPhil wrote:

Howard Moftich wrote:

It's quite likely that this is like other modern Canons and Epsons, where the option to turn off Colour Management in the driver isn't there, but is actually working when driven by Application Colour Management from Photoshop, LR, ACPU, etc.

Will show as 'Colorsync', which it is in a way, and be greyed-out and unselectable.

Some software products are using a private (undocumented) SPI called kPMApplicationColorMatching which you see in Photoshop and Lightroom and the Adobe Color Print Utility. When you set Application Manages Color, the area of the driver that controls Colorsync will alter the radio buttons such they are grayed out. X-Rite’s i1Profiler has also implemented this SPI. IF that's what the OP is seeing, all is fine.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Rodney
Author: Color Management for Photographers
The Digital Dog
http://www.digitaldog.net

Mr Owl
OP Mr Owl Regular Member • Posts: 100

Thank you to those who have replied. I will look at your offers but at the moment i'm a bit taken up with family business. I'll get onto it asap & report back as soon as i know anything. Thanks again everyone for your help & interest.

-- hide signature --

Mr Owl

Mr Owl
OP Mr Owl Regular Member • Posts: 100

digidog wrote:

ColourPhil wrote:

Howard Moftich wrote:

Some software products are using a private (undocumented) SPI called kPMApplicationColorMatching which you see in Photoshop and Lightroom and the Adobe Color Print Utility. When you set Application Manages Color, the area of the driver that controls Colorsync will alter the radio buttons such they are grayed out. X-Rite’s i1Profiler has also implemented this SPI. IF that's what the OP is seeing, all is fine.

Hi All,

I definitely have CUPS driver working, not AirPrint. That's how i originally set up the driver/printer.

The printer driver still does not display an obvious no colour correction option. I brought this up directly with Canon tech support in June which they then escalated to a higher level:

From Canon way back on 28th June, not heard since.

From print driver, I see Colorsync selected & all options are greyed out. This is consistent with ColourPhil & digidog's answers.

In practice, my prints using an optimised Colormunki profile are very close to what is shown on my display. So am satisfied with that for the moment until a better option surfaces.

Thanks again all. 

-- hide signature --

Mr Owl

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads