Is OM-D DTC (digital tele-converter) the exact same as just cropping in Post?

Started Jun 18, 2016 | Discussions
sac2002 Forum Member • Posts: 85
Is OM-D DTC (digital tele-converter) the exact same as just cropping in Post?

Or is there some in-camera feature / software / processing magic going on that somehow yields better results?

JohnLock Senior Member • Posts: 1,487
Re: Is OM-D DTC (digital tele-converter) the exact same as just cropping in Post?

The Olympus cameras that have 2X DTC ( 2X digital tele-converter) do cropping in-camera then apply a software process (algorithms) that increases the resolution to approximately the output of a standard jpeg.  The 2XDTC only works for jpegs though, i.e. no RAW.

It's been my experience that this process works very well and others have found this to be the case also.  I often use it in LSF, which is mostly my standard shooting mode, and it works well w/ my 17, 25, 45, 12-40, and 40-150 lenses.  I would think with all Oly lens though.  I just use it at or near the tele end though.

Cheers.  John Lock.

JohnLock's gear list:JohnLock's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +12 more
David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,081
Re: Is OM-D DTC (digital tele-converter) the exact same as just cropping in Post?

It's just cropping and upsampling. Olympus has their particular method of doing it, but with some experimenting you should be able to match or better it in post.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Leica M10 +7 more
daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670

As others have said, it's a 2X crop and upsampling to 16MP Jpeg. The biggest benefit is the enjoyment of composing the crop in the viewfinder at time of capture.

It tends to produce very good results.

For me it is a good professional tool, as my corporate event clients often want on-site upload of Jpeg files on an ongoing basis, and it has been a real boon to be able to get good, tight telephoto golf and tennis shots straight out of camera without hauling gigantic telephoto lenses around.

In terms of image quality, here are just a few examples that show the quality -- bear in mind that at 300mm with the DTC, you are capturing a 1200mm, 35mm equivalent FOV.

-- hide signature --

God Bless,
Greg
www.imagismphotos.com
www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
JohnLock Senior Member • Posts: 1,487

Greg;  as always, your photos are superb, and are a testament to how good the 2X TC in Oly cameras is.

Cheers.  JL

JohnLock's gear list:JohnLock's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +12 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Pannny offers two choices

sac2002 wrote:

Or is there some in-camera feature / software / processing magic going on that somehow yields better results?

It has a DTC feature which was pretty crummy until a huge improvement in the more recent cameras, GX8, G7, GX80/985 (presumably).

Oly easily lead in this feature before, but now they are about even, I believe.

Bear in mind that at 2x you are dealing with just 4MPX as your base image (given a 16MPX sensor).

The other choice with Panny is the Ex-Tele setting. I don't know whether Oly offers the equivalent; I have never seen anyone mention it on this forum. This can be 1.4x or 2x. I use the 1.4x a lot -- I have it under a button. This is a straight grab of the central (sharpest) 8MPX of the 16MPX image with no fancy extra processing (the 2x is the central 4MPX).

That is essentially the same as just cropping in PP but I like to use it so I am sure of my composition in the camera. I use it a lot with the 12-35 and 12-32 lenses; the 35 becomes a 50mm equiv and the 32 a 45mm equiv. Nice focal lengths for portraits.

Panny says the 8MPX images are good for A3/tabloid size prints. I think they are being conservative; I am sure they would go better than that.

This is JPEG stuff, of course. That is all I shoot.

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://rabaulpng.com/we-are-all-traveling-throug/i-waited-51-years-for-tavur.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,922

sac2002 wrote:

I've had mixed results from the Oly 2X. The photo below is the best of the ones I have attempted. One thing to be aware of is that the crop comes right out of the center of the image. I missed the center on this one by a hair.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +8 more
Jan Krux Regular Member • Posts: 380

daddyo wrote:

As others have said, it's a 2X crop and upsampling to 16MP Jpeg. The biggest benefit is the enjoyment of composing the crop in the viewfinder at time of capture.

It tends to produce very good results.

For me it is a good professional tool, as my corporate event clients often want on-site upload of Jpeg files on an ongoing basis, and it has been a real boon to be able to get good, tight telephoto golf and tennis shots straight out of camera without hauling gigantic telephoto lenses around.

In terms of image quality, here are just a few examples that show the quality -- bear in mind that at 300mm with the DTC, you are capturing a 1200mm, 35mm equivalent FOV.

-- hide signature --

God Bless,
Greg
www.imagismphotos.com
www.pbase.com/daddyo

really good work! I never expected it to work that good - but as always, the man behind the camera is most important ..

Jan

Jan Krux's gear list:Jan Krux's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Isabel Cutler
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,326
Re: I'm so glad you posted these images -

I've only tested digital teleconversion on a couple of occasions and then never used it seriously, preferring to crop in post processing - I had NO IDEA how excellent Olympus implements this feature - and HOW HANDY it will be when traveling!

I made some experimental images this morning and this was my favorite - so nice not to have to move in so close for closeups with my Olympus 12-40 lens!

Olympus EM10 II and Olympus 12-40mm lens

I have to do much more experimentation, but I think this is a feature I'm going to be using more often.

Isabel

Isabel Cutler's gear list:Isabel Cutler's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +1 more
daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670
Thanks to all for the nice comments! (n/t)
-- hide signature --

God Bless,
Greg
www.imagismphotos.com
www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
kittykat23uk Senior Member • Posts: 1,120
Re: Thanks to all for the nice comments! (n/t)

I have used this feature quite a bit. The digital crop does look processed at times but shoot raw plus jpeg and you then have the best of both worlds and can do a direct comparison between  a lower res crop of the original and the digital tele version of the same image.

-- hide signature --
 kittykat23uk's gear list:kittykat23uk's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,424
More points

DTC has entered my "standard" shooting. Sure, it's "really" only a 4 mpx sample, but my previous camera was only 5 mpx, and I printed quite large from it, especially on canvas. I've printed 16 x 20 from DTC, and it works fine for some images.

I dislike carrying a lot of alternative lenses, and DTC, for most purposes, doubles the range of any lens.

DTC does NOT prohibit you from returning to the "original" if you shoot +RAW. I have on occasion recovered a misframing by just going back to the RAW, which is always there for me in the +RAW setting.

Daddyo once advised trying hard to stick to low ISO with DTC, and I think that's a valid point.

Finally, it's a very common assumption that you can do "just as well or better" by cropping and up-sampling. I am not completely sure of this, except, of course, if you NEED to do recovery from RAW (DTC produces jpg only; the RAW is unaltered). For a well-exposed shot, I think DTC is hard to beat in PP. As I say, people assume it can be beat, but I haven't seen ANY actual comparisons. (I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Anyone??)

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads