K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Started Jun 13, 2016 | Photos
REDred Photo
REDred Photo New Member • Posts: 14
K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift
30

Hey Everyone... I just thought it would be nice to share some new work made with the K-1 and 100mm 2.8 Macro WR. I'm still on the fence about using this camera for portrait work because of autofocus issues... but for table top product work, I am simply blown away. This camera's pixel shift mode beats my older PhaseOne digital back and my Pentax 645D for this work. I'm simply astounded by the level of detail in these huge DNG files.

Pixel shift, of course, does not work with flashes so these were all shot with high-powered LED units. This is my first run with the Pentax 100mm Macro WR and I have to say it's a stellar lens. These shots were captured as DNG, processed in CaptureOne, focus stacking done in Helicon Focus, and finish work done in Photoshop.

These are hundred-year-old American pocket watches that are lovingly restored and refitted into machined and laser engraved titanium casings for your wrist.

The watches will be available through a kickstarter campaign launching in July. Each watch will be custom colored and engraved to order. These images are a sneak peak at the "World Premiere" of Arcane Watch Company's first line of truly unique, bespoke, 100% American made, Brand New Antique watches.

-- hide signature --

Neil Buckland
REDred Photo
Seattle, WA

 REDred Photo's gear list:REDred Photo's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Olympus E-M1 II Pentax KP +2 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Pentax 645D Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Phase One Capture One Pro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
swartzfeger
swartzfeger Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Lovely work, Red! I'm new to Pentax and my 100mm WR is arriving today... very much looking forward to this lens, as I'm new to macros and have quickly become addicted to pixelshift photography.

Thanks for sharing, very inspiring work.

 swartzfeger's gear list:swartzfeger's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 +1 more
swartzfeger
swartzfeger Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Red, after looking at these files closely at 100%, I'm blown away by the detail, but I have some questions about the focus stacking.

This is by no means a criticism, but how many shots did Helicon use to stack? I noticed some 'soft' areas of transition, where a narrow DoF could've have been more effectively stacked for increased focus/depth.

Have you looked at auto blending layers in Photoshop? I ask because I'm new to this and definitely want to try my hand at focus stacking.

Again, no criticism here, I'm asking out of ignorance and eagerness to learn.

 swartzfeger's gear list:swartzfeger's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 +1 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 25,204
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Most impressive Neil.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

 ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +13 more
Skip py Contributing Member • Posts: 855
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Great works and amazing details: in these watches and your pictures !

Almost perfect with this touch of light! Just curious in the lower left part of the first one at full size: it's just a matter of taste, but you may bring back some more details in the leather for readabilty or keep it darker with just the outline in order to emphasize the details? It's my prefered one and deserves a try it if you have enough pictures for stacking... but you may have already tried it

Great campaign in perspective!

Regards, Fred

 Skip py's gear list:Skip py's gear list
Pentax K-3
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,276
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

REDred Photo wrote:

Hey Everyone... I just thought it would be nice to share some new work made with the K-1 and 100mm 2.8 Macro WR. I'm still on the fence about using this camera for portrait work because of autofocus issues... but for table top product work, I am simply blown away. This camera's pixel shift mode beats my older PhaseOne digital back and my Pentax 645D for this work. I'm simply astounded by the level of detail in these huge DNG files.

Congrats, these are very impressive images! It's probably going to be even better with products including textiles or other moire-prone textures.

Pixel shift, of course, does not work with flashes so these were all shot with high-powered LED units. This is my first run with the Pentax 100mm Macro WR and I have to say it's a stellar lens. These shots were captured as DNG, processed in CaptureOne, focus stacking done in Helicon Focus, and finish work done in Photoshop.

Sorry if this is an off-topic question, but how do you get the proper colors in Capture One with the Pentax K-1 DNGs? I'm running C1 pro 7, and i think i'm doing something wrong. Thanks.

These are hundred-year-old American pocket watches that are lovingly restored and refitted into machined and laser engraved titanium casings for your wrist.

The watches will be available through a kickstarter campaign launching in July. Each watch will be custom colored and engraved to order. These images are a sneak peak at the "World Premiere" of Arcane Watch Company's first line of truly unique, bespoke, 100% American made, Brand New Antique watches.

They look very nice!  

-- hide signature --

Neil Buckland
REDred Photo
Seattle, WA

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

 miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 25,204
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift
2

BTW would be interested to know your shortcomings with AF?

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

 ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +13 more
asahi man Contributing Member • Posts: 992
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Very nice,high quality works 😉

Best regards

MaKeR Contributing Member • Posts: 743
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift
2

REDred Photo wrote:

These shots were captured as DNG, processed in CaptureOne, focus stacking done in Helicon Focus, and finish work done in Photoshop.

Very nice work, Neil.

What I see on the Phase One website in regard to Capture One, however, is:

"We currently do not (and probably never will) support this [Pixel Shift] merging, but we do read the first filepart in the raw-file, which is basically the first image taken. Therefore, the user will not see the added resolution/detail benefit in CO."

Or is that outdated, and they have indeed added support for Pixel Shift to Capture One?

Otherwise, you might get even better results using a raw converter that does support Pixel Shift.

REDred Photo
OP REDred Photo New Member • Posts: 14
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift
1

Hey, thanks for the kind words. And yes, there are some soft areas where my focus adjustments were not small enough for the "slices" of DOF. One complaint about the focus bracketing process on the k-1 is that the screen / viewfinder and the focus ring on the 100mm macro are all just a little too small to see clearly. VERY fine micro adjustments of the focus ring are required to capture the very narrow slices of DOF at f/4, which is apparently the optimal aperture for max MTF on this lens. I later switch to f/8, which may just barely begin to show diffraction effects. The increased DOF makes capturing enough overlap in the slices much more manageable and well worth the risk of a tiny amount of diffraction.

With my other medium format cameras, I use large bellows / rail systems which make fine tuned focusing very easy and practical. The K-1 is such a small camera, I will have to work much harder to get the finest results from the sensor and lenses. I'm considering an automated stack focusing rail device for this work.

This K-1 is a fantastic camera, and very compact. I feel confident taking it out on location and getting a commercial job done without wishing I'd brought the larger camera... AND the pixel shift 36mp sensor is the best sensor quality I've ever worked with. That said, smaller cameras actually  make studio work more difficult. If I could have my dream camera, it would be a 645Zii with pixel shift. Mounting that baby on my 645 bellows with my hasselblad lenses would be epic. I hope pentax is listening.

-- hide signature --

Neil Buckland
REDred Photo School
Seattle, WA

 REDred Photo's gear list:REDred Photo's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Olympus E-M1 II Pentax KP +2 more
REDred Photo
OP REDred Photo New Member • Posts: 14
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift
2

MaKeR wrote:

REDred Photo wrote:

These shots were captured as DNG, processed in CaptureOne, focus stacking done in Helicon Focus, and finish work done in Photoshop.

Very nice work, Neil.

What I see on the Phase One website in regard to Capture One, however, is:

"We currently do not (and probably never will) support this [Pixel Shift] merging, but we do read the first filepart in the raw-file, which is basically the first image taken. Therefore, the user will not see the added resolution/detail benefit in CO."

Or is that outdated, and they have indeed added support for Pixel Shift to Capture One?

Otherwise, you might get even better results using a raw converter that does support Pixel Shift.

Hmmm.... this may well be the case. I can definitely say that C1 does NOT have the weird false color issues that are popping up in ACR. I'm not 100% certain that I'm actually seeing the pixel shift resolution from the DNG files. I will do some testing with the Pextax silky pix converter and see how that goes. Perhaps there is even more detail hidden in these files!!

-- hide signature --

Neil Buckland
REDred Photo School
Seattle, WA

 REDred Photo's gear list:REDred Photo's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Olympus E-M1 II Pentax KP +2 more
REDred Photo
OP REDred Photo New Member • Posts: 14
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

ozdean wrote:

BTW would be interested to know your shortcomings with AF?

I've found that the lenses I'm using (non HSM motors) fail to find exact focus on my center focus point about 50% to 60% of the time. The sensor is so highly detailed that any focus "tolerance" really can't be tolerated. Nothing frustrates me more than beautiful, shallow DOF portraits with eairs sharper than eyes... and I've trained for many years using the center focus point on the eyeball and recompose method. I've tried fine tuning my lenses in the k-1 and I've simply come to accept that I will not use this camera for any work that requires precise auto focus. Perhaps there is something wrong with my unit?

-- hide signature --

Neil Buckland
REDred Photo School
Seattle, WA

 REDred Photo's gear list:REDred Photo's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Olympus E-M1 II Pentax KP +2 more
LightBug Senior Member • Posts: 2,415
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Wow!  I must say your photos make the products look outstanding!

Joey

 LightBug's gear list:LightBug's gear list
Sony a7R Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +10 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 39,628
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Impressive, thanks for sharing

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 25,204
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Neil I use centre point recompose all the time but with a K5IIs and have fine tuned my lenses without problem. Are you switching to AFC to keep continuous focus on the eyes while the model is moving? Obviously you can't recompose when in AFC.

I do turn SR off when in AFC/panning so the sensor is locked and not fighting intentional camera movement.

Hope you are not trying to use the 100wr for portraiture - too much focus throw and a bit flat IMO.

BTW you will get very little diffraction from the 100wr at F8 on FF.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

 ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +13 more
wsu1 Regular Member • Posts: 381
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Beautiful captures with amazing detail. Thank you for sharing these.

Regarding your AF issues with the 100 f2.8 WR and portraiture - I have noticed also, that getting exact focus on the eye is somewhat difficult with this lens on the K1. I've only tried twice, so too early to draw conclusions, however, I wonder if it is the size of the AF point, or maybe the relative position of the actual AF point to the center mark.

My impression (though only a subjective guess from use at this point) is that the center AF point on my Nikon D750 (now sold to fund the K1) is possibly smaller than the K1, and better able to get pinpoint focus on a small spot. Don't get me wrong, the K1 gets close, but sometimes seems to just miss tack sharp focus on the pupil (this after AF fine tuning). This is comparing a D750 with an 85mm f1.8 to the K1 with the 100mm f2.8 WR. Now this may just be user error, or lack of technique using the K1 - too early to tell now. Still, this is no deal breaker for me relative to the K1 or 100mm as it it so good at so many things. Just an early observation.

Again, gorgeous images!

-Bill

Bruce Trail Hiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,438
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

Hi REDred,

Very nice product shots.

The pixel shift feature is very suited to this type of photography.

Cheers

Man Khun

REDred Photo wrote:

Hey Everyone... I just thought it would be nice to share some new work made with the K-1 and 100mm 2.8 Macro WR. I'm still on the fence about using this camera for portrait work because of autofocus issues... but for table top product work, I am simply blown away. This camera's pixel shift mode beats my older PhaseOne digital back and my Pentax 645D for this work. I'm simply astounded by the level of detail in these huge DNG files.

Pixel shift, of course, does not work with flashes so these were all shot with high-powered LED units. This is my first run with the Pentax 100mm Macro WR and I have to say it's a stellar lens. These shots were captured as DNG, processed in CaptureOne, focus stacking done in Helicon Focus, and finish work done in Photoshop.

These are hundred-year-old American pocket watches that are lovingly restored and refitted into machined and laser engraved titanium casings for your wrist.

The watches will be available through a kickstarter campaign launching in July. Each watch will be custom colored and engraved to order. These images are a sneak peak at the "World Premiere" of Arcane Watch Company's first line of truly unique, bespoke, 100% American made, Brand New Antique watches.

 Bruce Trail Hiker's gear list:Bruce Trail Hiker's gear list
Pentax K-3
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,276
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift

REDred Photo wrote:

ozdean wrote:

BTW would be interested to know your shortcomings with AF?

I've found that the lenses I'm using (non HSM motors) fail to find exact focus on my center focus point about 50% to 60% of the time. The sensor is so highly detailed that any focus "tolerance" really can't be tolerated. Nothing frustrates me more than beautiful, shallow DOF portraits with eairs sharper than eyes... and I've trained for many years using the center focus point on the eyeball and recompose method. I've tried fine tuning my lenses in the k-1 and I've simply come to accept that I will not use this camera for any work that requires precise auto focus. Perhaps there is something wrong with my unit?

This is lens dependent, some lenses just won't autofocus accurately.

My FA limiteds are spot-on every time. My Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX DG is usually off by a bit.

What lenses are you using? If the ears are in focus, you're way off. I'm talking about eye cores vs eye lashes.

-- hide signature --

Neil Buckland
REDred Photo School
Seattle, WA

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

 miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
left eye
left eye Senior Member • Posts: 1,811
C1 does not support PS - LightRoom does

REDred Photo wrote:

MaKeR wrote:

REDred Photo wrote:

These shots were captured as DNG, processed in CaptureOne, focus stacking done in Helicon Focus, and finish work done in Photoshop.

Very nice work, Neil.

What I see on the Phase One website in regard to Capture One, however, is:

"We currently do not (and probably never will) support this [Pixel Shift] merging, but we do read the first filepart in the raw-file, which is basically the first image taken. Therefore, the user will not see the added resolution/detail benefit in CO."

Or is that outdated, and they have indeed added support for Pixel Shift to Capture One?

Otherwise, you might get even better results using a raw converter that does support Pixel Shift.

Hmmm.... this may well be the case. I can definitely say that C1 does NOT have the weird false color issues that are popping up in ACR. I'm not 100% certain that I'm actually seeing the pixel shift resolution from the DNG files. I will do some testing with the Pextax silky pix converter and see how that goes. Perhaps there is even more detail hidden in these files!!

I've tried the latest version of C1 - and as the P1 site says it does not support PS, it just develops the first frame in the PS file.

Don't bother with SilkyPix Pro - results are not great and the interface is slow.

In fact fine detail from ACR/LR even with non-PS files, beats PS files developed in SilkyPix Pro!  The best solution to get the most from your K-1 is LightRoom - and yes it supports pixel shift - and works great.

-- hide signature --

Neil Buckland
REDred Photo School
Seattle, WA

 left eye's gear list:left eye's gear list
Olympus E-300 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic GH5 +5 more
Nass
Nass Regular Member • Posts: 325
Re: K-1 Studio Product with Pixel Shift
1

REDred Photo wrote: ... One complaint about the focus bracketing process on the k-1 is that the screen / viewfinder and the focus ring on the 100mm macro are all just a little too small to see clearly.

Could you just clarify - this is manual focus bracketing rather than it being an in-camera function, is that right?

The K-1 is such a small camera, I will have to work much harder to get the finest results from the sensor and lenses. I'm considering an automated stack focusing rail device for this work.

Stackshot or WeMacro are your friend - see http://extreme-macro.co.uk/stackshot/ and http://extreme-macro.co.uk/wemacro-rail/ - latter currently has some Pentax bugs.

Neil Buckland
REDred Photo School
Seattle, WA

 Nass's gear list:Nass's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads