Best tripod for Icelan

Started Jun 10, 2016 | Discussions
thenomadsoul Regular Member • Posts: 199
Best tripod for Icelan

Hi everyone.

I will be traveling to Iceland in September. I am planning to do a lot of long exposure and landscape photography.

I am looking for a good tripod to use for the trip, one sturdy enough to hold my Olympus OMD EM5 II. I currently have a Sirui T-1005X alluminium tripod that is great, light and portable. The problem is that I was told the winds in Iceland are crazy and that it might be necessary to have a sturdier tripod.

What to you recommend? I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money on it, but I want to be sure not to be limited by the current tripod that I own.

Thanks!

thenomadsoul's gear list:thenomadsoul's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cloned Regular Member • Posts: 306
Re: Best tripod for Icelan

Iceland can be a seriously windy place, any time of the year. I would get the heaviest, sturdiest  tripod you can handle and a beefy ballhead to go with it.

I used an Induro GIT304L with spiked feet and still needed to add weight to it on occasion when I was there in March. Unless you are hiking, go heavy.

Cloned's gear list:Cloned's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +9 more
OP thenomadsoul Regular Member • Posts: 199

That's a bit out of my budget unluckily..

Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,110

I would first consider your needs beyond this one trip. If you do a lot of landscape photography and like long exposures, then a good tripod is a must. Spending more on a quality tripod will be more cost affective in the long run since it will last for many many years.

If you hike a lot, or weight is big concern, then carbon fiber is the way to go. I would also look for one with a hook for hanging extra weight.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
OP thenomadsoul Regular Member • Posts: 199

NikonNature wrote:

I would first consider your needs beyond this one trip. If you do a lot of landscape photography and like long exposures, then a good tripod is a must. Spending more on a quality tripod will be more cost affective in the long run since it will last for many many years.

If you hike a lot, or weight is big concern, then carbon fiber is the way to go. I would also look for one with a hook for hanging extra weight.

That's the point. My tripod works perfect 99% of the time. I live in a city and if I go outside I usually want to pack very light. Wind is not a huge problem for me.

I would need something sturdy only for this trip. Additional weight is not a big concern here because we are going to use the car most of the time.

Cloned Regular Member • Posts: 306

You could also rent a heavier tripod. Lensrentals has them. But really, Iceland can have some really challenging conditions. Your tripod/head is not a piece of equipment to scrimp on if you want to get the best possible results.

Cloned's gear list:Cloned's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +9 more
RichyjV
RichyjV Senior Member • Posts: 1,056

thenomadsoul wrote:

NikonNature wrote:

That's the point. My tripod works perfect 99% of the time. I live in a city and if I go outside I usually want to pack very light. Wind is not a huge problem for me.

I would need something sturdy only for this trip. Additional weight is not a big concern here because we are going to use the car most of the time.

Then stick with your tripod then, Iceland can be windy, equally I've spent 18 days there with blue skies and very calm conditions before, its just like anywhere else. If your tripod covers 99% then its probably not a great spend trying to move from 99.0% to 99.4% with a heavier one. If you want to spend 2 weeks shooting icebergs in the sea at Jokulsarlon with long exposures, and dont mind sticking a big tripod in your flight luggage then maybe grab something bigger (I really rate Sirui tripods, the legs are every bit as sturdy as Gitzo for my money). Beanbags are a great and useful thing to have as a alternative.

ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,927

Yes it can be windy. So hold onto your tripod. A heavy tripod will blow over just as easily as a light one in that kind of wind. I almost lost a car door.  You can't rely on the tripod weight alone to keep your camera from getting knocked over.

ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,110

thenomadsoul wrote:

NikonNature wrote:

Sounds like you have a decent tripod then. Adding a heavier one just for this trip is a tough pill to swallow. Perhaps renting like someone else said, or just getting creative in adding weight might help. And of course, you could end up with little wind and no issues. I also saw a recent youtube about stacking multiple frames to get the long exposure look without the long exposure. That might solve your problem with no extra gear.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads