1DXMKII - Defective ?

Started Jun 9, 2016 | Discussions
Gadgetguy007 New Member • Posts: 15
Re: tvstaff, Do Canon bodies ever work for you?

They are screen captures to show A/F point and i do not see any relevance of me supplying the original RAW images to be honest unless you doubt my honesty but i hope i am interpreting this wrong.

You can see from the file numbers that the prefix is from the 1DX MKII and it would be of no benefit to myself to make this up and i can assure you that after several years of shooting bikes with a 500mm on a monopod i can nail these shots 97% of the time with a 1DX or 7D MKII but the 1DX MKII has a mind of its own very much like my old 1D MKIII did.

Have attached another series of shots with the aperture and shutter speed value attached and you can see that out of all the frames it only nails focus once and regadless of technique the focus is mailny on the second rider and not where the A/F point is.

I have over 3000 images that i supplied to Canon that demonstrate an inconsistent A/F system from my copy of the 1DX MKII when used with a 500mm f4 MKII,300mm f2.8 MKII and a 70-200 f2.8 MKII and am hoping i can gather more evidence of the lock up next weekend over three days of work i have.

tvstaff
OP tvstaff Senior Member • Posts: 2,276

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

They are screen captures to show A/F point and i do not see any relevance of me supplying the original RAW images to be honest unless you doubt my honesty but i hope i am interpreting this wrong.

You can see from the file numbers that the prefix is from the 1DX MKII and it would be of no benefit to myself to make this up and i can assure you that after several years of shooting bikes with a 500mm on a monopod i can nail these shots 97% of the time with a 1DX or 7D MKII but the 1DX MKII has a mind of its own very much like my old 1D MKIII did.

Have attached another series of shots with the aperture and shutter speed value attached and you can see that out of all the frames it only nails focus once and regadless of technique the focus is mailny on the second rider and not where the A/F point is.

I have over 3000 images that i supplied to Canon that demonstrate an inconsistent A/F system from my copy of the 1DX MKII when used with a 500mm f4 MKII,300mm f2.8 MKII and a 70-200 f2.8 MKII and am hoping i can gather more evidence of the lock up next weekend over three days of work i have.

My camera shows I'm locking in taking the shot.... but in post production my red square is not even on the subject.  My 1DXMKII  will be back fro CPS today.  I hope they fixed the issue. I'm going through the same thing you are!  We deserve a BEER!!!

-- hide signature --

Feel Always Humble - "FAH" - You'll Learn More
http://www.KissMyKite.com

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +22 more
Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,372
Re: Overheating not the cause defects in my 1DXMKII

ttbek wrote:

It may be time for you to let that go. I'm sure he read your other comments and has considered it, no need to be a broken record

it's a free forum

and I won't give up until I see a direct comparison between the 1Dx MKII and the D5 under the same conditions. I am genuinely interested to know if the D5 has similar problems...

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +14 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,378

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

Trust is something earned!

The original jpegs shows the relevant shooting information for the pictures.

From the information shown, we cannot positively identify the camera used to take the pictures.

The 1Dx II is not the 1Dx or 7D II, there are differences.

Some information shown in the upper right hand corner:

Tv(Sutter speed) 1/800

ISO Speed 250

Auto ISO Speed ON

Focal Length 500.0 mm

Your shutter speed is way too slow for that race while using a 500 mm lens on a monopod!

I am not convinced it is the camera!

Walter Sr.

-- hide signature --

I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

Gadgetguy007 New Member • Posts: 15

WalterSrChat im afraid to say that i have learnt that you will never be happy or even believe a word i say and will only ever try and destroy anything i offer so therefore i will no longer reply after this comment and leave you to either carry on being vile in this or another thread as you clearly are a bitter man with no faith in others.

Not only have you said i am a liar but also that after years of shooting of which 8 have been covering motorsport and of this bikes as an accredited photographer for a national championship that i clearly have no idea on shutter speeds,focal lengths and photography in general.

I can nail that shot which is at a very slow corner of the track with movement in one lateral plain at lower speeds than that both hand held and on a monopod.If you would actually take the time to consider the fact that the rider behind is in sharp focus throughout most of the frames while the A/F point is clearly on the front rider that may give you a clue.

If this was a problem with shutter speed you would not see the rider at the back in perfect focus throughout the frames and you can clearly see where the focus zone is with the depth of field at that aperture which is why i also included the data in the top right for yourself and others.

As i have said before i have nothing to gain and after shooting alongside a fellow photographer who has now received his 1DX MKII and having exchanged cameras for a session the difference between the two units is night and day regardless of which photographer uses the camera my one still fails even when he uses it so i think you can eliminate my poor camera skills but then again im sure you will doubt his ability also.

Anyway im sure you will have a big grin on your face that you have pi**ed me off enough yet again with you first class insults and im 110% confident you will reply to each subject in your classic sarcastic way once again.

You seem to me to be that much of a troll from your other post on this forum that Im sure you would even argue the fact of the earth being round!

I will not reply to any more of your comments as i find it hard not to be rude in my response with people like yourself who clearly do not trust anyone.

Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,088

Sports Shooter wrote:

ttbek wrote:

It may be time for you to let that go. I'm sure he read your other comments and has considered it, no need to be a broken record

it's a free forum

and I won't give up until I see a direct comparison between the 1Dx MKII and the D5 under the same conditions. I am genuinely interested to know if the D5 has similar problems...

I'm sure it has problems, Nikon have a 0% record of avoiding them, but they won't be the exact same problem. Plus then there's ergonomics, AF, shooting rates, media, lenses and so forth that all vary and may suit people one way or the other. The only certain issue here is Sandisk CFast cards have an issue with power-off and files under 16MB, which isn't the camera's fault. I suspect there are some individual build issues too, plus maybe some hyperbole (which is understandable when you get another problem which might just be config or something but after a couple of previous ones people aren't that tempted to make allowances).

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

Dr_Jon wrote:

Sports Shooter wrote:

ttbek wrote:

it's a free forum

I'm sure it has problems, Nikon have a 0% record of avoiding them, but they won't be the exact same problem. Plus then there's ergonomics, AF, shooting rates, media, lenses and so forth that all vary and may suit people one way or the other. The only certain issue here is Sandisk CFast cards have an issue with power-off and files under 16MB, which isn't the camera's fault. I suspect there are some individual build issues too, plus maybe some hyperbole (which is understandable when you get another problem which might just be config or something but after a couple of previous ones people aren't that tempted to make allowances).

if you make money out of photography all the above don't matter ( for like to like camera / lens which both Canon & Nikon have available for sports photography).

If I can get the shot with a D5 and I cannot get it with the 1Dx MKII I would switch. or vice versa

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +14 more

Marcus Antonius wrote:

No wonder i did not ran into any problems then, i have only been shooting with CF so far. The Cfast card has just arrived yesterday.

Hopefully not a Sandisk?

Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more

snoylekim wrote:

interesting ..wonder if more over-provisioning ( reserved space on the card) , or allowing the specification the over-provisioned percentage would help . This is common on SSD devices used on computers .. The Cfast reader shows up as a sort of SCSI device on the Windows 10 workstation device profiles , so i wonder if CFAST is closer to the SSD architecture internally ..

I've come close to filling my 64 G card , but wasn't in rapid shot mode before or during the switch to the CF card ( which was unnoticed) .. I never delete on any card - never had good luck with that for other reasons ..

Still a big fan of CFAST ..nice to come back from a shoot and transfer 25 GB from the card to the computer in 2.5 minutes Then, get coffee while it works on 30 GB from a CF card from another body ...Now I know why my video colleagues raved about them ..

Over-provisioning only helps with the overall life of the card, although is a good thing on SSDs, especially if they are boot drives (so will get written to a lot). I really don't think it's the issue here, it's just a buffering bug in the card.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,032
Makes...

...some sense

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads