1DXMKII - Defective ?

Started Jun 9, 2016 | Discussions
Gadgetguy007 New Member • Posts: 15
Re: 1DXMKII - Defective ?

Having the same problems with a 1DX MKII shooting motorsport and have now gone back to my 1DX as the MKII on my bigger primes is just a joke and having to miss shots while pulling a battery out every now and again is a PITA.

Have tried now with both CFast and CF cards along with cleaning lens contacts and also with and without tc's yet still have the same issue when shooting burst of 3 to 5 images over a prolonged time.

Camera locks just after mirror flips up or on initial focus at which point the viewfinder display as in A/F point and info vanishes yet rear and top display stay on regardless of main switch position and only way to reset is a battery pull,even had a couple of times that I have had to wait for the mirror to return before re inserting the battery again.

Have reported to CPS and they want both camera and lenses back to test yet as I have pointed out the 500 f4 MKII and 300 f2.8 MKII work fine with my 1DX,7D MKII and 5DSr so its definitely a 1DX MKII problem.

Using the camera in less demanding situations with smaller lenses everything seems ok but stick a large prime on and it just bricks more often than not during meetings.

Do feel sorry for the original thread starter as for sports its just a waste of money at this time as you just cant rely on it or get back what you miss.

Lets hope they can find a fix sooner than later this time before it turns into the new 1d MKIII.

tvstaff
OP tvstaff Senior Member • Posts: 2,276

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

Having the same problems with a 1DX MKII shooting motorsport and have now gone back to my 1DX as the MKII on my bigger primes is just a joke and having to miss shots while pulling a battery out every now and again is a PITA.

Have tried now with both CFast and CF cards along with cleaning lens contacts and also with and without tc's yet still have the same issue when shooting burst of 3 to 5 images over a prolonged time.

Camera locks just after mirror flips up or on initial focus at which point the viewfinder display as in A/F point and info vanishes yet rear and top display stay on regardless of main switch position and only way to reset is a battery pull,even had a couple of times that I have had to wait for the mirror to return before re inserting the battery again.

Have reported to CPS and they want both camera and lenses back to test yet as I have pointed out the 500 f4 MKII and 300 f2.8 MKII work fine with my 1DX,7D MKII and 5DSr so its definitely a 1DX MKII problem.

Using the camera in less demanding situations with smaller lenses everything seems ok but stick a large prime on and it just bricks more often than not during meetings.

Do feel sorry for the original thread starter as for sports its just a waste of money at this time as you just cant rely on it or get back what you miss.

Lets hope they can find a fix sooner than later this time before it turns into the new 1d MKIII.

You and I are having the exact same problems. EXACT.   You're about the 7th person I know with the exact same issue. I'm sorry for you, but I do find relief that the people here and the people at my sports meet were all having the same failures with 1DX MKII. If little in this limited forum ant 1 sporting event is seeing this defect in the 1DX MKII it's got to be in many more cameras. Sports Shooters drive their gear hard. We tend to find and bring out faults first to benefit others.

-- hide signature --

Feel Always Humble - "FAH" - You'll Learn More
http://www.KissMyKite.com

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +22 more
wetoldboot Forum Member • Posts: 97

tvstaff wrote:

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

Have tried now with both CFast and CF cards along with cleaning lens contacts and also with and without tc's yet still have the same issue when shooting burst of 3 to 5 images over a prolonged time.

Have reported to CPS and they want both camera and lenses back to test yet as I have pointed out the 500 f4 MKII and 300 f2.8 MKII work fine with my 1DX,7D MKII and 5DSr so its definitely a 1DX MKII problem.

You and I are having the exact same problems. EXACT. You're about the 7th person I know with the exact same issue. I'm sorry for you, but I do find relief that the people here and the people at my sports meet were all having the same failures with 1DX MKII. If little in this limited forum ant 1 sporting event is seeing this defect in the 1DX MKII it's got to be in many more cameras. Sports Shooters drive their gear hard. We tend to find and bring out faults first to benefit others.

Isn't it weird, my 500f4-2 has been fine in terms of the camera freezing, ive never had a freeze up with this lens attached, soft mushy images yes but no freeze ups with the 500.  only lens ive had the freezing fault with is 100mm macro lens.

wetoldboot's gear list:wetoldboot's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +1 more
tvstaff

wetoldboot wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

You and I are having the exact same problems. EXACT. You're about the 7th person I know with the exact same issue. I'm sorry for you, but I do find relief that the people here and the people at my sports meet were all having the same failures with 1DX MKII. If little in this limited forum ant 1 sporting event is seeing this defect in the 1DX MKII it's got to be in many more cameras. Sports Shooters drive their gear hard. We tend to find and bring out faults first to benefit others.

Isn't it weird, my 500f4-2 has been fine in terms of the camera freezing, ive never had a freeze up with this lens attached, soft mushy images yes but no freeze ups with the 500. only lens ive had the freezing fault with is 100mm macro lens.

Mine freezes and the soft messy shots too. They look like someone pushed LUM in post production. What a mess. I hope CPS can fix them. I only shoot with big glass this is a disaster for so many, the boards are filling up with people all having same issues.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +22 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,378

tvstaff wrote:

wetoldboot wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

Isn't it weird, my 500f4-2 has been fine in terms of the camera freezing, ive never had a freeze up with this lens attached, soft mushy images yes but no freeze ups with the 500. only lens ive had the freezing fault with is 100mm macro lens.

Mine freezes and the soft messy shots too. They look like someone pushed LUM in post production. What a mess. I hope CPS can fix them. I only shoot with big glass this is a disaster for so many, the boards are filling up with people all having same issues.

Please provide us with examples of those boards with people having the same issues you are having with your 1Dx II, and do not include DPreview!

it should be interesting reading.

Walter Sr.

-- hide signature --

I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

WalterSrChat wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

wetoldboot wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

Please provide us with examples of those boards with people having the same issues you are having with your 1Dx II, and do not include DPreview!

Walter Sr.

So far there is one other post i have seen on FM regards the locking up issue with the 1DX MKII so not as frequent as the reports of corrupt files but i can assure you there is a problem with a few of the released cameras when used with larger lenses the most recent report i have seen being with a 200-400 locking up most of the time.

With it only being 5 or 6 people so far and seeing that most have also owned other 1 series cameras its not going to be operator error and also seeing its so bloody cold here in the UK its not down to humidity although it could be a component overloading or overheating in camera when driving the bigger primes and zooms.

I hope it turns out that it is only a few of the early units that may be faulty but until someone god like in the camera world reports the problem then im sure many will still insist that people like myself and tvstaff are either incompetent in the use of our equipment or are just out to complain about Canon.

The last time this happened and many didn't believe it possible to be the camera but more so the operator was with the 1D MKIII and we all know how that ended up.

Hopefully as the volume of cameras in peoples hands increase that actually use it as a working tool that are not sponsored by Canon this will either be shown to be an early batch of faulty units in very small quantity or it will be reported enough by other people that a fix can be found by Canon quicker than the 1D MKIII fiasco.

Shame that people cant share information regards faults on a camera forum without being made out to be either a liar or an incompetent fool.

Don Lacy
Don Lacy Senior Member • Posts: 2,036

tvstaff wrote:

wetoldboot wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

Where are the boards filling up so far it's only here and nothing on the nature sites. When the Mark III came out it was pretty obvious within a week that the camera had AF issues no one was getting sharp images. So far everyone I know using it are calling it the best AF camera they have ever used. I am not saying your issues are not real but it is not a wide spread issue like the Mark III was. Do you have links to other sites where people are reporting issues.

Don Lacy's gear list:Don Lacy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +11 more
Turnanewleaf Regular Member • Posts: 256

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

Shame that people cant share information regards faults on a camera forum without being made out to be either a liar or an incompetent fool.

Here, Here, I'm with you!

Turnanewleaf's gear list:Turnanewleaf's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +1 more
Turnanewleaf Regular Member • Posts: 256

Don Lacy wrote:

Where are the boards filling up so far it's only here and nothing on the nature sites. When the Mark III came out it was pretty obvious within a week that the camera had AF issues no one was getting sharp images. So far everyone I know using it are calling it the best AF camera they have ever used. I am not saying your issues are not real but it is not a wide spread issue like the Mark III was. Do you have links to other sites where people are reporting issues.

Don,  I can tell you the issues do exist.  I returned my first body that had front focus issues that couldn't be remedied by micro adjustment.  My vendor (not CPS) returned a body that is spot on.

I'm an amateur that has been through this a few times before (for example 2009 - Canon 7d).  Canon never admits to the issues, but eventually quietly fixes them.  It's us early adopters that assume the risk and make the products better for buyers later on.

BTW, I looked at your portfolio and you have an abundance of amazing shots!  Quite fantastic.  An amateur you are not!

Regards

Turnanewleaf's gear list:Turnanewleaf's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +1 more

Turnanewleaf wrote:

Don Lacy wrote:

Don, I can tell you the issues do exist. I returned my first body that had front focus issues that couldn't be remedied by micro adjustment. My vendor (not CPS) returned a body that is spot on.

I'm an amateur that has been through this a few times before (for example 2009 - Canon 7d). Canon never admits to the issues, but eventually quietly fixes them. It's us early adopters that assume the risk and make the products better for buyers later on.

BTW, I looked at your portfolio and you have an abundance of amazing shots! Quite fantastic. An amateur you are not!

Regards

You did not answer the question, Do you have links to other sites where people are reporting issues.

Walter Sr.

-- hide signature --

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

WalterSrChat wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

wetoldboot wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

Please provide us with examples of those boards with people having the same issues you are having with your 1Dx II, and do not include DPreview!

Walter Sr.

So far there is one other post i have seen on FM regards the locking up issue with the 1DX MKII so not as frequent as the reports of corrupt files but i can assure you there is a problem with a few of the released cameras when used with larger lenses the most recent report i have seen being with a 200-400 locking up most of the time.

With it only being 5 or 6 people so far and seeing that most have also owned other 1 series cameras its not going to be operator error and also seeing its so bloody cold here in the UK its not down to humidity although it could be a component overloading or overheating in camera when driving the bigger primes and zooms.

I hope it turns out that it is only a few of the early units that may be faulty but until someone god like in the camera world reports the problem then im sure many will still insist that people like myself and tvstaff are either incompetent in the use of our equipment or are just out to complain about Canon.

The last time this happened and many didn't believe it possible to be the camera but more so the operator was with the 1D MKIII and we all know how that ended up.

Hopefully as the volume of cameras in peoples hands increase that actually use it as a working tool that are not sponsored by Canon this will either be shown to be an early batch of faulty units in very small quantity or it will be reported enough by other people that a fix can be found by Canon quicker than the 1D MKIII fiasco.

Shame that people cant share information regards faults on a camera forum without being made out to be either a liar or an incompetent fool.

So where is the link to the board?

Walter Sr.

-- hide signature --

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1435342

Also a link for a video of someone else having problems with a MKII on Sports Shooters thats not releasing shutter although it's not locked up solid as you can still see it attempt sensor cleaning.

http://www.kevinkrows.com/p399391825/h70112e5e#h70112e5e

No error codes are logged in the service status part of the menu either or displayed when my unit malfunctions.

Don Lacy

Turnanewleaf wrote:

Don Lacy wrote:

Don, I can tell you the issues do exist. I returned my first body that had front focus issues that couldn't be remedied by micro adjustment. My vendor (not CPS) returned a body that is spot on.

i have no doubt that their are bad cameras out there they are extremely complex electronic devices but the unwarranted hyperbole is a little over the top. Like I said with the Mark III and even 7D MKII it was obvious their were issues with AF with Mark III it was a design flaw since everyone was having issues that' they had to find a work around for and the 7D MKII  most have been a batch of bad parts since they were able to get that straighten out rather quickly and it was not everyone having issues.

I'm an amateur that has been through this a few times before (for example 2009 - Canon 7d). Canon never admits to the issues, but eventually quietly fixes them. It's us early adopters that assume the risk and make the products better for buyers later on.

Its the same for Nikon and Sony like I said they are complex and they never seem to beta test them long enough to find everything and even if they do one vendor supplying parts slightly out of spec can also cause issues.

BTW, I looked at your portfolio and you have an abundance of amazing shots! Quite fantastic. An amateur you are not!

Thank you

Regards

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +11 more
Marcus Antonius Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

Don Lacy wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

wetoldboot wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

I have been shooting for hours now in a hide with AI servo, different cases, burst mode in OVF and Live View mode on a 500 F4.0 IS MK 1, Sandisk CF UDMA 7. No problems with softness or lockups. Do i have a cherry instead of a lemon? Or is it just luck... Either way, i'm really happy with my 1dxII.

Regards,

Marcus

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

Ramjager Forum Member • Posts: 88

No problems here shooting with Mk2 and 600F4II with and TC.

As for there being hundreds of Canon people with 1Dx issues etc I smell something very fishy...

Ramjager's gear list:Ramjager's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x
Don Lacy

Marcus Antonius wrote:

Don Lacy wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

wetoldboot wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

I have been shooting for hours now in a hide with AI servo, different cases, burst mode in OVF and Live View mode on a 500 F4.0 IS MK 1, Sandisk CF UDMA 7. No problems with softness or lockups. Do i have a cherry instead of a lemon? Or is it just luck... Either way, i'm really happy with my 1dxII.

Regards,

Marcus

The top BIF photographers are posting stunning images and commenting on how amazing the 1DXII AF is that they are seeing zero misses in a burst sequence.  With every new camera there will be some issues with bad units or issues not found by beta testers. Are cameras locking up it looks like there are some with issues are all 1DXII cameras locking up its pretty obvious that's not the case.

Le_Kilt Regular Member • Posts: 206
N° of shots in bursts

Just a thought, I don't remember seeing anyone mentioning if the lock up happens during a long burst, it might (or not) be interesting to count the number of shots that have been recorded in a burst before it locks up...

wetoldboot Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: N° of shots in bursts

Le_Kilt wrote:

Just a thought, I don't remember seeing anyone mentioning if the lock up happens during a long burst, it might (or not) be interesting to count the number of shots that have been recorded in a burst before it locks up...

My lock ups were single shot on a 100mm macro lens, I had no problems with the 500 locking up chasing swallows about in long bursts, just a soft mess more often than not.

wetoldboot's gear list:wetoldboot's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +1 more
tvstaff
Re: Overheating not the cause defects in my 1DXMKII

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

Overheating could be a possibility vs previous model. faster frame rates, bigger buffer, 4k video.

there are warnings in the manual about overheating with 4k video.

Hi Kevin, it's not over heating with me that's causing the camera to brick or the soft focus.  Wish I had the link to the video but some guy posted a video of his 1DXMKII freezing as cool as a cucumber and him having to pull his battery. Issue with him he could not get his camera to work at all and he could use his power button as you could see the sensor cleaner kick in.  With me, the whole camera freezes and I cannot use the power button or any button. With me and others I've seen you have to remove the battery.

I tried to use different batteries, single point vs. zone, single shot vs. ai-servo, TC vs. no tc, 24-70 vs. 300mm and nothing points to any of these being triggers.

CPS is going to have to fix these issues.  I've tried everything.  As for the soft focus FOCAL was no use and Canon admitted to me there was an issues with focus the first time I sent it in but the issue is still there even after they stated they made changes to the camera.  Who knows.... perhaps there are just bad copies out there.   I was first in line for my bodies, perhaps the new one will have to sort this out.  If Canon put our a service advisory like they did with the 1DX, it will be a LONG time coming.  Canon is not quick to admit defects.

-- hide signature --

Messages posted after Link Challenge

Gadgetguy007 wrote:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1435342

Also a link for a video of someone else having problems with a MKII on Sports Shooters thats not releasing shutter although it's not locked up solid as you can still see it attempt sensor cleaning.

http://www.kevinkrows.com/p399391825/h70112e5e#h70112e5e

No error codes are logged in the service status part of the menu either or displayed when my unit malfunctions.

Funny the messages were posted after the challenge for links with the same problem.

The link talks about the 1DX, not the 1Dx II, but it is interesting. http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=110

So, what is the point of the video?

If the camera is set to only shoot with focus lock, it only shoots when a target is in focus, unless you set it to manual!

Walter Sr.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads