1DXMKII - Defective ?

Started Jun 9, 2016 | Discussions
tvstaff
tvstaff Senior Member • Posts: 2,276
1DXMKII - Defective ?

I'm on a location shoot in LATAM priot to Olympics and have two 1DXMKII bodies with me.   Both have required me to remove the batteries and reboot to get the cameras to work.

The 1DXMKII's are freezing on me,

I'm using f/2,8 300mm IS USM II's with TC 1.4 III and both cameras are freezing and requiring that I remove the batteries and re enter them to shoot .

Scenario is ISO 320 / F/4 at servo with 9pt AF case 5, eval focus, with AF point tied.

Something is very wrong that BOTH 1DXMKII's are freezing and doing the same thing.  Go through a few thousand shots prior to the camera switching fro auto CFAST to CF cards

Have CFAST 64 and 128 CF card in other slots... cards nowhere near full and the cameras freeze and you can't shoot until you remove the batteries and replace them. Using Canon's batteries that came with 1DXMKII.

Lost critical shots at International sports meet because of this. I'm SCREWED

There is a defect here is both cameras are doing the same thing. Reads as 2000 shots available and the cameras focus turns off and the cameras does not shoot. After you take battery out and replace camera shoots.

Have 1DX's as back up and they are not having same problem.

This is not good.

This could be a Printed Circut Board issue? (PCB) according to a person I'm with from ESPN who is shooting for same magazine and his 1DXMKII has done the same thing.

Can anyone help me?  what can we do to stop this defect?

We're placing all the 1DXMKII's in reserve and going to our 1DX's to shoot the events. I think for the Olympics we can't rely on the 1DXMKII's. He is shooting with a 600mm and having same issue.

Can anyone one help?

Desperate OCONUS...... Have sporadic internet will try and get back here.

Any advice welcome!!!!!!!

TV OCONUS will check back 8AM EST if we have internet

Please help if you know how to stop this

TV

-- hide signature --

Feel Always Humble - "FAH" - You'll Learn More
http://www.KissMyKite.com

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +22 more
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,079
Re: 1DXMKII - Defective ?

Just to clarify - does the camera lock up entirely or is the AF locking up? Also if not locked up completely is the rest of the camera operation okay or sluggish (e.g. if you press play how fast does the screen come up)?

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
SydLow Forum Member • Posts: 82

tvstaff wrote:

Something is very wrong that BOTH 1DXMKII's are freezing and doing the same thing. Go through a few thousand shots prior to the camera switching fro auto CFAST to CF cards

What do you mean "prior to the camera switching fro auto CFAST to CF"?

Do you mean the camera stops recording on CFAST and starts saving to CF without you telling it to? Are you shooting RAW, JPEG or both? Does it always switch after the same number of images have been written to the CFAST card?

Have CFAST 64 and 128 CF card in other slots... cards nowhere near full and the cameras freeze and you can't shoot until you remove the batteries and replace them. Using Canon's batteries that came with 1DXMKII.

I would try:

• only having 1 card in the slot
  • try a different CFAST card if it locks up when you only have a CFAST card in the camera

Sounds like it might be a CFAST card issue.

tvstaff
OP tvstaff Senior Member • Posts: 2,276

Dr_Jon wrote:

Just to clarify - does the camera lock up entirely or is the AF locking up? Also if not locked up completely is the rest of the camera operation okay or sluggish (e.g. if you press play how fast does the screen come up)?

entire camera locks up and when you turn off LCD screen stays on. Only way is to remove battery and re insert

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +22 more
Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

tvstaff wrote:

I'm on a location shoot in LATAM priot to Olympics and have two 1DXMKII bodies with me. Both have required me to remove the batteries and reboot to get the cameras to work.

I'm using f/2,8 300mm IS USM II's with TC 1.4 III and both cameras are freezing and requiring that I remove the batteries and re enter them to shoot .

Scenario is ISO 320 / F/4 at servo with 9pt AF case 5, eval focus, with AF point tied.

Something is very wrong that BOTH 1DXMKII's are freezing and doing the same thing. Go through a few thousand shots prior to the camera switching fro auto CFAST to CF cards

Have CFAST 64 and 128 CF card in other slots... cards nowhere near full and the cameras freeze and you can't shoot until you remove the batteries and replace them. Using Canon's batteries that came with 1DXMKII.

There is a defect here is both cameras are doing the same thing. Reads as 2000 shots available and the cameras focus turns off and the cameras does not shoot. After you take battery out and replace camera shoots.

This is not good.

This could be a Printed Circut Board issue? (PCB) according to a person I'm with from ESPN who is shooting for same magazine and his 1DXMKII has done the same thing.

Can anyone help me? what can we do to stop this defect?

We're placing all the 1DXMKII's in reserve and going to our 1DX's to shoot the events. I think for the Olympics we can't rely on the 1DXMKII's. He is shooting with a 600mm and having same issue.

Can anyone one help?

TV

I would call Canon straight away ... in the meantime take a video with your iphone of both camera freezing for evidence.

You are not very lucky with your Dxs aren't you ?

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +14 more
Marcus Antonius Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

tvstaff wrote:

I'm on a location shoot in LATAM priot to Olympics and have two 1DXMKII bodies with me. Both have required me to remove the batteries and reboot to get the cameras to work.

I'm using f/2,8 300mm IS USM II's with TC 1.4 III and both cameras are freezing and requiring that I remove the batteries and re enter them to shoot .

Scenario is ISO 320 / F/4 at servo with 9pt AF case 5, eval focus, with AF point tied.

There is a defect here is both cameras are doing the same thing. Reads as 2000 shots available and the cameras focus turns off and the cameras does not shoot. After you take battery out and replace camera shoots.

This is not good.

Can anyone one help?

TV

This is the 2nd time you use this forum to vent about your bad experiences. Now i'm no supporter of a fanboyist forum only and like to read the good and the bad. But what i really don't understand is your logic in posting this here. Why you ask these questions in a forum where 0.1% has the 1dxII and will likely not be able to help you. If you are serious about your photography and want to get problems solved, contact your CPS rep. Have them sort it out and make sure you will get 1dx loaners meanwhile so you can continue your work. I also really don't understand why any pro would just blindly rely on a new body for important assignments. I always test my equipment in different scenario's before i am doing any critical work, and i'm probably not even as professional as you are. Just sayin.

I don't own the 300 2.8II or 600 so i can't test it on my 1dxII but either confirming the issue you are experiencing or not doesn't help you. I have experienced no freezes with my lenses. Again, contact CPS and have it sorted.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

tvstaff

SydLow wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

What do you mean "prior to the camera switching fro auto CFAST to CF"?

My 128 CF was not even full... never made it ti switching to CFAST

Do you mean the camera stops recording on CFAST and starts saving to CF without you telling it to? Are you shooting RAW, JPEG or both? Does it always switch after the same number of images have been written to the CFAST card?

Only shoot RAW.  Camera freezes no matter CFAST or CF.  IDXMKII creating two 2 sub directories on 128 card

I would try:

• only having 1 card in the slot
  • try a different CFAST card if it locks up when you only have a CFAST card in the camera

Have tried other CFAST same thing.

One card in slots no enough for shoots.  Pain in ass switching and fumbling for CFAST and CF when in water.  Give me back both slots the same. This is insane!!!

Sounds like it might be a CFAST card issue.

No same issue with CF or CFAST. Not card issue. Camera issue.

-- hide signature --

tvstaff

Sports Shooter wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

This is not good.

Can anyone one help?

TV

I would call Canon straight away ... in the meantime take a video with your iphone of both camera freezing for evidence.

I'm just a pro sports shooter... in field with multiple 1DXMKII's doing the same thing and another guy right next to me having same issue. No luck here. REAL issue. Lucky is BS. we're both having to remove out batteries and reinsert them to get camera to function. NO JOKE. this is serious.  Can anyone offer us in the field some help? No CPS her 1000's of miles from US.   We've gone to IDX bodies.   He's gone to 5D

-- hide signature --

tvstaff

Marcus Antonius wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

This is not good.

Can anyone one help?

TV

This is the 2nd time you use this forum to vent about your bad experiences. Now i'm no supporter of a fanboyist forum only and like to read the good and the bad. But what i really don't understand is your logic in posting this here. Why you ask these questions in a forum where 0.1% has the 1dxII and will likely not be able to help you. If you are serious about your photography and want to get problems solved, contact your CPS rep. Have them sort it out and make sure you will get 1dx loaners meanwhile so you can continue your work. I also really don't understand why any pro would just blindly rely on a new body for important assignments. I always test my equipment in different scenario's before i am doing any critical work, and i'm probably not even as professional as you are. Just sayin.

I don't own the 300 2.8II or 600 so i can't test it on my 1dxII but either confirming the issue you are experiencing or not doesn't help you. I have experienced no freezes with my lenses. Again, contact CPS and have it sorted.

Good luck!

Go away! CPS outside the US in field. You're out of your mind.  If you can't help please stay OFF this thread. I'm in trouble.  Please stay OFF this thread.

-- hide signature --

Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

tvstaff wrote:

Sports Shooter wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

This is not good.

Can anyone one help?

TV

I'm just a pro sports shooter... in field with multiple 1DXMKII's doing the same thing and another guy right next to me having same issue. No luck here. REAL issue. Lucky is BS. we're both having to remove out batteries and reinsert them to get camera to function. NO JOKE. this is serious. Can anyone offer us in the field some help? No CPS her 1000's of miles from US. We've gone to IDX bodies. He's gone to 5D

As Marcus Antonius wrote , you are wasting your time asking for solution in this forum. If CPS or Canon support is not handy put your 1Dx MKIIs in your bag and continue shooting with what you've got.

My comment about your bad luck is based on the problems you had with the 1Dx. Now you have problem with the 1Dx MKII.

As you are a pro I would seriously consider switching to Nikon ( or at least rent the D5 + 300/2.8) and shoot an event under the same conditions.

For the time being focus to get the job done with what you've got working.

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +14 more
Marcus Antonius Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

tvstaff wrote:

Marcus Antonius wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

This is not good.

Can anyone one help?

TV

Good luck!

Go away! CPS outside the US in field. You're out of your mind. If you can't help please stay OFF this thread. I'm in trouble. Please stay OFF this thread.

Maybe you should seek 'professional help' with your additude instead of your gear.

Let me try once more;

If you call CPS (don't see why distance is a problem with calling) and your issue is a 'common' problem don't you think even for a second that CPS doesn't know about it? Are you alone with the 1dxII? We had Roland Garros last week, where i saw enough photogs with the 1dxII and 300/600mm, this week we have the European Soccer championship where hundreds if not thousands of photogs will be using the 1dxII (which they likely tested before the event). Don't you think that if this was a real issue, no one reported this and canon doesn't know about it (and maybe have a workaround)? Again, your best chance for a solution is Canon here, not a forum with photo enthousiasts.

Now i won't bother you any longer and wish you good luck.

All the best,

Marcus

-- hide signature --

photenth Forum Member • Posts: 78

EDIT: ignore this post, didn't see that it truly freezes completely.

photenth's gear list:photenth's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
loitokitok Senior Member • Posts: 2,303

tvstaff wrote:

Marcus Antonius wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

This is not good.

Can anyone one help?

TV

Good luck!

Go away! CPS outside the US in field. You're out of your mind. If you can't help please stay OFF this thread. I'm in trouble. Please stay OFF this thread.

I sympathise with your frustration but Marcus is absolutely right.  There is no point in coming to a forum where virtually nobody will have had any experience at all of this camera.  Get on the phone to CPS in the US and ask for their help.  That is what they are for.

wetoldboot Forum Member • Posts: 97

tvstaff wrote:

This is not good.

Can anyone one help?

TV

I understand your problem, my 1dx2 has also frozen, so far it's happend three times all with my ef100 f2.8 IS lens. My cams been into cps for this issue along with soft focus. I've had the body back for two weeks and it's the same , I thought it had been sorted but no.   I like the camera and want another but a working one.

wetoldboot's gear list:wetoldboot's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +1 more
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,079

tvstaff wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

entire camera locks up and when you turn off LCD screen stays on. Only way is to remove battery and re insert

Then sorry can't help beyond suggesting you check it didn't ship with some pre-release firmware (what version does it have?) and doing a full reset and seeing if it appears with some particular feature being enabled.

How long does it take for the issue to occur when shooting?

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
Kevin Coppalotti Veteran Member • Posts: 9,363

is it locking up during a burst or while you are pressing the shutter button?

could you be hitting the RAW buffer maximum?

Is it locking up while writing to the card?

Its  locking up with both the CF card,  and the Cfast card, is that correct?

-- hide signature --
ajy Regular Member • Posts: 249

loitokitok wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Marcus Antonius wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

This is not good.

Can anyone one help?

TV

Good luck!

I sympathise with your frustration but Marcus is absolutely right. There is no point in coming to a forum where virtually nobody will have had any experience at all of this camera. Get on the phone to CPS in the US and ask for their help. That is what they are for.

Sometimes it's helpful to hear about these experiences to know if it's isolated to one individual or if more than one person is having a similar problem.

ajy's gear list:ajy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
Snapper2013 Contributing Member • Posts: 521
Have you read the manual?

nt

Le_Kilt Regular Member • Posts: 206
Help, not condescention...

Marcus Antonius wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Marcus Antonius wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

This is not good.

Can anyone one help?

TV

This is the 2nd time you use this forum to vent about your bad experiences. Now i'm no supporter of a fanboyist forum only and like to read the good and the bad. But what i really don't understand is your logic in posting this here. Why you ask these questions in a forum where 0.1% has the 1dxII and will likely not be able to help you.

He's had confirmation that someone else is experiencing the same problem and that Canon has not fixed it so far.  i.e. it's not just him doing something wrong.

If you are serious about your photography and want to get problems solved, contact your CPS rep. Have them sort it out and make sure you will get 1dx loaners meanwhile so you can continue your work. I also really don't understand why any pro would just blindly rely on a new body for important assignments.

He didn't, he's got 1D-X's with him.

I always test my equipment in different scenario's before i am doing any critical work, and i'm probably not even as professional as you are. Just sayin.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Maybe you should seek 'professional help' with your additude instead of your gear.

Let me try once more;

If you call CPS (don't see why distance is a problem with calling) and your issue is a 'common' problem don't you think even for a second that CPS doesn't know about it? Are you alone with the 1dxII? We had Roland Garros last week, where i saw enough photogs with the 1dxII and 300/600mm, this week we have the European Soccer championship where hundreds if not thousands of photogs will be using the 1dxII (which they likely tested before the event). Don't you think that if this was a real issue, no one reported this and canon doesn't know about it (and maybe have a workaround)? Again, your best chance for a solution is Canon here, not a forum with photo enthousiasts.

Poor chap, he's asking for help, and you're just being condescending, has he upset you in some other way?

He and colleague have three bodies playing up in the same way, and we've got someone else HERE on the forum with the same problem.  Pros hang out here too.

Now i won't bother you any longer and wish you good luck.

All the best,

Marcus

-- hide signature --

Daniel L Contributing Member • Posts: 929

Right on. 110%.

What he experiences is bug should be report directly to canon, so they can resolve the matter quickly with firmware release.  It's repeatable bug under combination of settings and devices usage which freezes the camera. Are there any formal Canon  technicians hang out here? we don't know, and even they do they can't log a bug without formal report.

Marcus Antonius wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

This is not good.

Can anyone one help?

TV

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Macro and Bird Photography
http://www.danielslim.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads