Problems with Camera Remote App on Android 6

Started May 27, 2016 | Discussions
El Vuelo del Escorpion
El Vuelo del Escorpion Contributing Member • Posts: 829
Problems with Camera Remote App on Android 6

Hi all,

I've been using the Fuji Camera Remote App on my old Galaxy S3 phone (Android 4 OS) for several months and it worked seamlessly downloading content from my Fuji X-E2. Nevertheless, I recently changed my smartphone to a new S7 with Android 6 and the app is unable to connect to the camera. More precisely, the app connects to the camera wifi network but it is unable to review the camera content or to perform any other action. In fact, after connecting to the camera wifi, the app freezes. I have tried to reinstall the app, reinitialize credentials, review app permissions and so on, but it ain't succeed. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Óscar
https://www.flickr.com/photos/elvuelodelescorpion/
https://500px.com/fingers1971

El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list:El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PeaceKeeper Regular Member • Posts: 350
Re: Problems with Camera Remote App on Android 6

Have you tried anything on the camera itself? It's been a while, but I seem to remember needing to set up permissions on the my X-T1 when I changed phones. Some sort of security feature to prevent random people from taking control of your camera.

PeaceKeeper's gear list:PeaceKeeper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-T1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +4 more
jchabalk Regular Member • Posts: 123

+1, reset wifi perms on the camera

bs1946
bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,446

El Vuelo del Escorpion wrote:

Hi all,

I've been using the Fuji Camera Remote App on my old Galaxy S3 phone (Android 4 OS) for several months and it worked seamlessly downloading content from my Fuji X-E2. Nevertheless, I recently changed my smartphone to a new S7 with Android 6 and the app is unable to connect to the camera. More precisely, the app connects to the camera wifi network but it is unable to review the camera content or to perform any other action. In fact, after connecting to the camera wifi, the app freezes. I have tried to reinstall the app, reinitialize credentials, review app permissions and so on, but it ain't succeed. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Óscar

I have an X-E2 with firmware version 4.00. It was sitting on my desk so I tested it with the remote app on my AT&T Galaxy S7 and had no problem using it. AT&T just gave me an update to Android 6.0.1 last week but, I'm pretty sure I used it before the update. I don't use the app much anymore. I used to use it to transfer jpegs to my old Galaxy Note 4 or my Galaxy Tab S. But I bought a small microUSB SD card reader that only takes a moment to plug into my phone or tablet and slip my SD card into it. Then I can transfer both RAFs and jpegs to any folder I want using the file transfer app.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +9 more

i think that's probably a more reliable solution based on my (limited) use of the phone app.

Being able to pull a small number of images over wifi every once in a while is what i've used it for with other cameras and it's a really great option to have available, i wouldn't want to use it all the time though - or for large transfers. i just pull a few jpg's, nothing more.

PeaceKeeper Regular Member • Posts: 350

Sadly, it's not a solution for someone using the application for more than simple file transfers. The other remote controls are what I use it for.

PeaceKeeper's gear list:PeaceKeeper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-T1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +4 more

I hear you. I used it a couple of weeks ago for the first time just trying to figure out how it would work and if it would be useful for me. I'm using iOS, i don't know if there are differences between the 2 platforms.

My tl;dr summary is: it seems like it could be useful in certain situations but appears really buggy and unreliable in its current state.

I wrote up a few notes in another forum. This is copy/pasted from there:

-- hide signature --

Previously i'd used the app in the house - sitting on a chair with my phone and the camera on the table in front of me - to make sure i knew how it worked. There were no issues using it in the house: video was responsive, quick focus response, and tripping the shutter was quick and reliable. I was pretty impressed with it.

It didn't very well in actual use.

Connectivity Problem:

We were out on a beach and there were 4 other wifi networks visible on my phone (aka: not a lot of possible sources of interference):

• Standing about 20 feet from the camera the live view video was jerky and intermittent - not a big deal since i had previously framed the picture and was using a tripod.
  • Tripping the shutter remotely via the app was a big problem
  • The camera only took a few frames out of the 30 or so times that i released the shutter in the app. Since there's no feedback within the app that the image was made there's no way to know without checking the camera.
  • So when i went back to review the images there were only 3 or 4 pictures

Manual / Auto Focus Problem:

• I framed the shot
  • Locked down the tripod and focused the camera
  • Changed the camera to manual focus mode to make sure focus would stay set
  • Turned on wifi on the camera and connected the app
  • Image was fully out of focus in the app but sharp on the camera
  • Focus controls in the app were unresponsive
  • The only way to fix it was to leave the camera in autofocus mode (and reconnect the app)

I didn't have a chance to try to reproduce this yet but it appears to be related to manual focus mode and using the phone app.

Connect / Disconnect - sub-optimal UX:

• In the camera remote app when you navigate between the different modules (file transfer, camera remote, geotagging etc) the app "disconnects" from the camera
  • The disconnect appears to cause the camera to shutdown (or freeze) - the camera is dead to the touch with nothing on the screen.
  • Turning the camera off/on again and everything's fine but then you've got to navigate through the camera to turn on wireless again, connect etc etc etc, disconnect, off/on, navigate etc etc...
El Vuelo del Escorpion
OP El Vuelo del Escorpion Contributing Member • Posts: 829

Thank you all for your comments,

After reinstalling the app and reinitializing the wifi configuration from both the app and the camera I can get some random connection between them. Nevertheless the connection is never stablished at first attempt. I have to wait at least until the camera timeout messagge appears and then try again to (maybe) link the camera and the phone. If so, the app menu with the usual options (Remote Control, Receive, Browse Camera...) is displayed. Unfortunately this is not a reliable process at all, and sometimes I have to retry and retry again without getting connection.

I am going to contact Fuji about this. The app worked ok on Android 4 but to me is absolutely useless on Android 6. If I get some feedback I will let you know.

Regards

Óscar

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
El Vuelo del Escorpion
OP El Vuelo del Escorpion Contributing Member • Posts: 829

Hello again,

I reopen this post because it seems that I have found the origin of the connectivity problem and the solution. According to FUJI:

"... If you are using a smartphone with Android 6.0 set the "Location" of the smartphone and this application to 'ON' "

Shortly, this means that you need to activate your smartphone GPS even if you are not using geotagging functionalities. Not turning on the GPS means that the application will freeze after connecting to the camera WiFi network and will not show the application main menu.

This issue has been a real headache for me over the last months. I hope this may be useful for others too.

Óscar

Mischa Bronstring Contributing Member • Posts: 777

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I have been struggling with connecting my XQ2 to my smartphone for a few weeks now. It used to work fine on my older tablet but I could not get it to connect to my Huawei P9. Now, after a reset of the Wifi setup of the camera and by (temporarily) switching on the location services of the phone, it works again!

Regards,

Mischa

Mischa Bronstring's gear list:Mischa Bronstring's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Olympus XZ-1 Ricoh GR Digital IV +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads