How do you set Custom Banks on D500?

Started May 26, 2016 | Questions
Chuvarsky
Chuvarsky Senior Member • Posts: 1,554
How do you set Custom Banks on D500?

I thought this must be intuitively obvious.  For me it is not and I have confused myself.  I want "A" for normal wildlife, "B" for BIF, "C" for landscapes, etc.

A step by step process for setting them, then recalling them would be much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Dick

Chuvarsky's gear list:Chuvarsky's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
shooter45 Regular Member • Posts: 311
Re: How do you set Custom Banks on D500?

Chuvarsky wrote:

I thought this must be intuitively obvious. For me it is not and I have confused myself. I want "A" for normal wildlife, "B" for BIF, "C" for landscapes, etc.

A step by step process for setting them, then recalling them would be much appreciated.

First, go to the menu that has the camera icon; for bank A, in that menu adjust everything u want for that bank. I named that bank WIL for "wild photography". After you finish with that particular menu, go to the menu that has the wrench icon; you will see the bank also so enter the same letter to match the bank in the previous menu. In this "wrench" menu, adjust all the things that you want for that bank : autofocus, etc, etc ... ( remember that this menu is divided by letters also : a,b,c,d,e and f. Once you finish setting up all the functions for a,b,c,d and e, go to "f" and I think it is f1 where you finally are foing to assign all of your changes a specific button of yoir camera. I chose fn2 and you can tell it to "switch banks" if I remember correctly.

Repeat everything but now change to bank B and finally register that new bank in f1. Repeat again and assign more changes to the next bank till you are done. Once u finish, you should be able to switch between banks by pressing fn2 and the command dial. You will see how they change as you press fn2 and turn the command dial in your viewfinder and the top screen.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

The camera icon is the Photo Shooting Menu and the wrench icon is your Custom Shooting Menu. While you are making your changes, whatever other change that you make to the camera using its outside buttons, will apply as well.

When you go to f1, move the cursor down to fn1 and then move the cursor to the right, open the menu and choose : Photo Shooting Menu Bank. This is your final step after you have finished making all your adjustments in the Photo Shooting Menu and your Custom Shooting Menu and you have to go to this function ( f1 ) and choose againg for fn2 : Photo Shooting Menu Bank so each bank will be registered in that function so when you press fn2 and turn your command dial, the camera will switch between your banks without your eye away from the viewfinder.

I find these banks much better and quicker than U1 and U2. Hope this help and sorry for the long explanation. Happy shooting.

Maurice

Chuvarsky
OP Chuvarsky Senior Member • Posts: 1,554

Thank you for your reply and your detailed procedure in your recent post, "How to change Menu banks in D500 procedures."

I am having problems with my camera as follows:  I put settings in for the A Bank, go select B Bank, put in settings for that Bank.  When I go back and select A, the B settings are there and vice-versa?????

BTW, I am having problems with the file numbering starting over at "1" and the Image Quality and ISO going to default after changing batteries.

-- hide signature --

Dick

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more

Chuvarsky wrote:

Thank you for your reply and your detailed procedure in your recent post, "How to change Menu banks in D500 procedures."

I am having problems with my camera as follows: I put settings in for the A Bank, go select B Bank, put in settings for that Bank. When I go back and select A, the B settings are there and vice-versa?????

BTW, I am having problems with the file numbering starting over at "1" and the Image Quality and ISO going to default after changing batteries.

Yes. Once you finish "recording" all the changes for bank A ( for example ), they will not be deleted. You can switch to other bank back and forth and they will remain as you entered them.

I do not know if the bank information will reset to default after you change your battery. This is new to me but thank you for letting me know. I will look into this and I will update my post after I finish testing that. Very interesting though and I would not be surprise if that happen since Nikon has not been very thoughtful about banks at all in the past.

Chuvarsky
OP Chuvarsky Senior Member • Posts: 1,554

I finally got it. Your reply and your post, 'How to change Menu banks in D500 procedures " with the subsequent replies got me there.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Dick

gstadter Regular Member • Posts: 239

I've owned quite a few Nikon cameras, most have had the U1/U2 settings modes(D7100, D610, D750). D500 is the first I've owned with Nikon's system based on "banks". Am I correct in stating that there does not exist a way to "link" Custom Settings banks with Photo Shooting Menu banks? (link PSMb"A" with CSb"A", PSMb"B" with CSb"B", and soforth...)
And is it also correct that although the selection of Photo Shooting Menu bank can be assigned to a button, the same cannot be done for the Custom Settings banks?
The closest work-around I've come to is to set Fn1 button to scroll through Photo Shooting Menu banks, add "Custom Settings bank" to the top of "MY MENU", then set the Fn2 button to "Access top item in MY MENU". thanks

-- hide signature --

'We truly fail only when we quit.'

gstadter's gear list:gstadter's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +11 more
Danny W. Contributing Member • Posts: 664

Yes, you are correct. The two different banks types are independent and you can mix & match them. I have both types at the top of My Menu and use Fn2 to access it.

Danny W.

RLF3 Forum Member • Posts: 80

gstadter wrote:

The closest work-around I've come to is to set Fn1 button to scroll through Photo Shooting Menu banks, add "Custom Settings bank" to the top of "MY MENU", then set the Fn2 button to "Access top item in MY MENU". thanks

I've noticed on my camera that pressing the "i" button on the back of the camera alternates between current camera settings (appears to be identical to the "info" button screen) and a list of camera settings.  The first two items on the list are the photo shooting menu bank and the custom settings bank, and the banks are changeable from there.  I thinks its the default for that screen, because I don't remember setting it and I'm not sure it's programmable.

I was going to use Fn1 for the Photo Shooting Menu banks and Fn2 for My Menu and the Custom Settings bank just as you suggest, but decided to access them both through the "i" button instead.  That way I can save Fn1 and Fn2 for other things.

RLF3's gear list:RLF3's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +3 more
Danny W. Contributing Member • Posts: 664

The menu items displayed by the i button are listed on page 229 of the User Guide and don't appear user programmable. It's too bad that it doesn't display the contents of My Menu, but as you point out, the top two items are the bank selections.

Fn2 doesn't really have any use outside of selecting MY Menu, unless you like rating your photos in camera.

Danny W.

Paddler213 Contributing Member • Posts: 614

Pardon me for being obtuse, but I'm having problems setting my Custom Settings.  The answers here say to go to the wrench icon.  That doesn't work.  My camera pulls up the CMS menu with the pencil icon.  Is that wrong?  Please review the steps for me, very slowly.;)

Paddler213's gear list:Paddler213's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon 24mm F1.8G ED +1 more
luxun54 Senior Member • Posts: 1,133

Paddler213 wrote:

Pardon me for being obtuse, but I'm having problems setting my Custom Settings. The answers here say to go to the wrench icon. That doesn't work. My camera pulls up the CMS menu with the pencil icon. Is that wrong? Please review the steps for me, very slowly.;)

No, you want to set banks A-B-C-D on BOTH the photo shooting menu (camera icon) and the custom settings menu (pencil icon). Here is a video that will walk you through HOW to do it , there are many other videos, websites and camera books and guides available with different advice about best settings for different purposes.

luxun54's gear list:luxun54's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,611

luxun54 wrote:

Paddler213 wrote:

Pardon me for being obtuse, but I'm having problems setting my Custom Settings. The answers here say to go to the wrench icon. That doesn't work. My camera pulls up the CMS menu with the pencil icon. Is that wrong? Please review the steps for me, very slowly.;)

No, you want to set banks A-B-C-D on BOTH the photo shooting menu (camera icon) and the custom settings menu (pencil icon). Here is a video that will walk you through HOW to do it , there are many other videos, websites and camera books and guides available with different advice about best settings for different purposes.

That video is really a bit fluffy ...

For a more in depth view, you want to see one by Matt Granger or even Jared Polin .

If you want a manual, buy the one from Thom Hogan. It is not free, but takes you through enough explanations and you can take it with you as a PDF (In fact, you can only get it in PDF format).

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
8ateleur New Member • Posts: 1

I traded in my D7100 earlier this year on a D500. The user manual only mentions the Custom Banks but do not explain how to set them up. I followed the steps in your reply, but being technologically challenged I screwed up somewhere. On the D7100 memories (U1 +U2) you can make a change to a setting for one shot but the original settings remain. I tried the same with the D500, but each time the last setting replaces the original setting. This is extremely frustrating when out in the field to keep on checking if you still have the correct settings. It got to the point where I got rid of the D500 and bought another D7100. Now someone has given me a D500 as a present and I am still sitting with the same problem - BTW Nikon in South Africa is not interested in the problem they say it works and everything is in the manual.

Reivilos
Reivilos Regular Member • Posts: 405

8ateleur wrote:

I traded in my D7100 earlier this year on a D500. The user manual only mentions the Custom Banks but do not explain how to set them up. I followed the steps in your reply, but being technologically challenged I screwed up somewhere. On the D7100 memories (U1 +U2) you can make a change to a setting for one shot but the original settings remain. I tried the same with the D500, but each time the last setting replaces the original setting. This is extremely frustrating when out in the field to keep on checking if you still have the correct settings. It got to the point where I got rid of the D500 and bought another D7100. Now someone has given me a D500 as a present and I am still sitting with the same problem - BTW Nikon in South Africa is not interested in the problem they say it works and everything is in the manual.

Nikon is right, in that it's never going to behave like the U1-U2 cameras do. The custom banks are ill-named in my view. Better think of them as "virtual cameras", not as storage memories.  You have cameras A, B, C, D and you can switch between them. So when you flip a switch or setting in the current camera (i.e the active Bank) it stays that way ...

As a workaround you could initialize (at home) all your banks to the same settings. Then out in the field you can use for instance bank A and do some changes, and if you want to revert to the basic state then you can select B knowing that it's "pristine". Any time you want to do something unusual use A, and when you want the default use B.

Personally I use a variant of this where I have set apart D with the default factory settings. A has my custom settings and B & C are copies of A which I use on the field if a change is needed. After a shoot I must reset B or C to A state if I made changes during the shoot.

Reivilos's gear list:Reivilos's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +11 more
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,611

Reivilos wrote:

8ateleur wrote:

I traded in my D7100 earlier this year on a D500. The user manual only mentions the Custom Banks but do not explain how to set them up. I followed the steps in your reply, but being technologically challenged I screwed up somewhere. On the D7100 memories (U1 +U2) you can make a change to a setting for one shot but the original settings remain. I tried the same with the D500, but each time the last setting replaces the original setting. This is extremely frustrating when out in the field to keep on checking if you still have the correct settings. It got to the point where I got rid of the D500 and bought another D7100. Now someone has given me a D500 as a present and I am still sitting with the same problem - BTW Nikon in South Africa is not interested in the problem they say it works and everything is in the manual.

Nikon is right, in that it's never going to behave like the U1-U2 cameras do. The custom banks are ill-named in my view. Better think of them as "virtual cameras", not as storage memories. You have cameras A, B, C, D and you can switch between them. So when you flip a switch or setting in the current camera (i.e the active Bank) it stays that way ...

As a workaround you could initialize (at home) all your banks to the same settings. Then out in the field you can use for instance bank A and do some changes, and if you want to revert to the basic state then you can select B knowing that it's "pristine". Any time you want to do something unusual use A, and when you want the default use B.

Personally I use a variant of this where I have set apart D with the default factory settings. A has my custom settings and B & C are copies of A which I use on the field if a change is needed. After a shoot I must reset B or C to A state if I made changes during the shoot.

Something important to realise is that you can save your settings to a memory card, which you then keep in a safe place. If you want to go back after playing with the settings in the field, you just restore from the card.

In the real world, once you have found specific settings, be it button assignments, specific settings for sports, settings for studio, before going to a photo assignment you restore those settings, which you will change because all situations are not exactly the same. At the end of the photo assignment, you just restore from the card and you are ready for the next day.

Just remember to keep the card with the savec settings in a safe place, lest you erase it by reformatting.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
Reivilos
Reivilos Regular Member • Posts: 405

n057 wrote:

Something important to realise is that you can save your settings to a memory card, which you then keep in a safe place. If you want to go back after playing with the settings in the field, you just restore from the card.

Great advice.  Now that you mention it, I remember saving my D300s settings, I must not have been paying attention because that particular card went forgotten. I will now save my D500 and D700 settings - the resetting task will be much faster I think !!

Reivilos's gear list:Reivilos's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +11 more
hikerdoc
hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,199

I have had the best luck getting most of my custom programmable buttons pretty standardized and consistent with what I usually use. If I had each button programmed to a different function in each bank and on each body I tended to forget. Also while others may post their preferences, the “my D5 setup pdf” type posts, I have tended to resist the urge to copy someone else’s  setup unless it clearly mirrors functions I routinely use.

D

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Nikon D850 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +5 more
Hemantkarkhanis New Member • Posts: 3

gstadter wrote:

I've owned quite a few Nikon cameras, most have had the U1/U2 settings modes(D7100, D610, D750). D500 is the first I've owned with Nikon's system based on "banks". Am I correct in stating that there does not exist a way to "link" Custom Settings banks with Photo Shooting Menu banks? (link PSMb"A" with CSb"A", PSMb"B" with CSb"B", and soforth...)
And is it also correct that although the selection of Photo Shooting Menu bank can be assigned to a button, the same cannot be done for the Custom Settings banks?

Hi.. One option for easier change... Look at "i" button at right side of screen. After pressing this, first 2 options will be Photo shooting menu bank and Custom setting bank one below the other. So you can change both together just by pressing one button.

Hemantkarkhanis's gear list:Hemantkarkhanis's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +4 more
Thoxuan New Member • Posts: 1
Setting the custom Banks in D500

Hello Dick,

your instruction is very easy to follow. I printed it out and follow step by step to set my custom Bank A and then Bank B. In Bank A I set S priorityat 1/1000s for wildlife and in Bank B I set at P mode. After each Bank setting, I took some pictures for test. I got the result of what I set. I turned off my camera. The next day I turned on my camera to take  pictures of some birds in my back yard, I selected Bank A. I got all set up except the S priority at 1/1000s. It is in P mode, the P mode was the last I tested in Bank B. Do I miss any thing when I assign the function key fn2..?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads