Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

Started May 20, 2016 | Discussions
mqavila New Member • Posts: 2
Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

Hi, I reside in the Philippines, which uses the NTSC format. However, since Lumix is not very prevalent here, I intend to buy the TZ110 from nearby Singapore. From what I understand, the TZ110 uses the PAL format by default. Is it possible to switch it to NTSC?

I would have preferred the US version, the ZS100, because that version is NTSC by default but it would be much harder for me to source, given my location.

Thanks in advance!

Panasonic ZS100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gus607
gus607 Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

As far as I know PAL/NTSC is not switchable.

 gus607's gear list:gus607's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Gabi
Gabi Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

It is switchable from the 25p to the 30p mode (4K) or 50p to the 60p moder (FHD), but I couldn't get back. See here how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-GX5BdcgU

 Gabi's gear list:Gabi's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +8 more
MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,785
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?
 MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
Martin Meier Contributing Member • Posts: 629
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

It is switchable, also FZ1000, FZ300, LX100, TZ100, TZ80, GH3 and others.

From 25/50 to 30/60 and back. With some cameras even time limit is

switched from 15min to 30min.

 Martin Meier's gear list:Martin Meier's gear list
YI M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +1 more
OP mqavila New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

Gabi wrote:

It is switchable from the 25p to the 30p mode (4K) or 50p to the 60p moder (FHD), but I couldn't get back. See here how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-GX5BdcgU

Thanks for this.  This might be a newbie question but are these "hacks" or work-arounds safe?  Is there a chance that this will damage the camera?

Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,497
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

Greetings all,

A quick question.  I bought a fz200 years ago while in the States, it was cheaper to buy there than here in Europe(€-$).  Now, I'm interested in trying video.  Does this mean that I have to switch my American camera for my European computer to read the files for video?  The pictures are fine, just haven't done or really been into video until recently. Thanks for any info.

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

 Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Martin Meier Contributing Member • Posts: 629
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

On each today monitor/tv/pc 24/25/30/50/60 fps videos will be okay.

 Martin Meier's gear list:Martin Meier's gear list
YI M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +1 more
Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,497
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

Thanks for the reply.  So, why does anyone need to switch between PAL and NTSC and what's it all about?  I don't know anything about video, yet.

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

 Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Martin Meier Contributing Member • Posts: 629
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

It's not PAL/NTSC ... 30fps/60fps are "a bit better" than 25fps/50fps ... more frames per second.

Other cameras let you select both ... GH4, Samsung NX500/NX1 ...

 Martin Meier's gear list:Martin Meier's gear list
YI M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +1 more
dincz Regular Member • Posts: 439
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

Lepewhi wrote:

Thanks for the reply. So, why does anyone need to switch between PAL and NTSC and what's it all about? I don't know anything about video, yet.

PAL and NTSC are analog video formats and not relevant to digital cameras which normally output their video digitally e.g. HDMI.

The only relevant setting would be frame rate - 50Hz or 60Hz.

EDIT: I just realized the Panasonic menus do actually refer to NTSC and PAL. It's nonsense but presumably they mean European vs US frame rate. Unless they can be connected to an analog TV - extremely unlikely.

Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,497
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

 Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
RemyW Regular Member • Posts: 198
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

dincz wrote:

Lepewhi wrote:

Thanks for the reply. So, why does anyone need to switch between PAL and NTSC and what's it all about? I don't know anything about video, yet.

PAL and NTSC are analog video formats and not relevant to digital cameras which normally output their video digitally e.g. HDMI.

The only relevant setting would be frame rate - 50Hz or 60Hz.

EDIT: I just realized the Panasonic menus do actually refer to NTSC and PAL. It's nonsense but presumably they mean European vs US frame rate. Unless they can be connected to an analog TV - extremely unlikely.

You have to take one thing into account. That is the AC frequency of (indoor) lighting being used in your country. This might influence your choice of FPS when recording video.

Here in the Netherlands we have a 50 Hz frequency, US has 60 Hz:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_frequency
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

For an explanation and examples:

http://urbanvideo.ca/avoid-video-flicker

- Remy.

 RemyW's gear list:RemyW's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic ZS100
MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,785
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

RemyW wrote:

dincz wrote:

Lepewhi wrote:

Thanks for the reply. So, why does anyone need to switch between PAL and NTSC and what's it all about? I don't know anything about video, yet.

PAL and NTSC are analog video formats and not relevant to digital cameras which normally output their video digitally e.g. HDMI.

The only relevant setting would be frame rate - 50Hz or 60Hz.

EDIT: I just realized the Panasonic menus do actually refer to NTSC and PAL. It's nonsense but presumably they mean European vs US frame rate. Unless they can be connected to an analog TV - extremely unlikely.

You have to take one thing into account. That is the AC frequency of (indoor) lighting being used in your country. This might influence your choice of FPS when recording video.

Here in the Netherlands we have a 50 Hz frequency, US has 60 Hz:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_frequency
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

For an explanation and examples:

http://urbanvideo.ca/avoid-video-flicker

- Remy.

I used Sergey's "hack" to give my Australian TZ110  US ZS100 video functionality, mainly for 4K at 30fps - a welcome upgrade from 25fps.

I was concerned that this might affect indoor video, ie. a strobing effect from artificial lighting, so I tested it. Under fluorescent lighting, there is minimal unobtrusive faint low frequency flicker when zoomed in. Sometimes that disappears. When zoomed out, it appears to be a non-issue. Under incandescent lighting, its virtually non-existent.

Looks great on my 65" Panasonic UHD TV.

To be complete, I also tested 1080p60 and flicker was non-existent.

The 1" sensor giving nice clean indoor low light video.  I will certainly not be changing back to 25/50 fps.

 MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
Gabi
Gabi Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

mqavila wrote:

Gabi wrote:

It is switchable from the 25p to the 30p mode (4K) or 50p to the 60p moder (FHD), but I couldn't get back. See here how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-GX5BdcgU

Thanks for this. This might be a newbie question but are these "hacks" or work-arounds safe? Is there a chance that this will damage the camera?

Sorry for the late reply. In a German forum someone reported that the TZ101 can be switched back by pressing the display button (after getting into the recovery mode) to get rid of the "strict" message (top right of the screen), then you press the buttons described in the original video. That reversed the setting for my TZ101. Hope that helps!

 Gabi's gear list:Gabi's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +8 more
Vitold69
Vitold69 New Member • Posts: 20
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

Sorry for the late reply. In a German forum someone reported that the TZ101 can be switched back by pressing the display button (after getting into the recovery mode) to get rid of the "strict" message (top right of the screen), then you press the buttons described in the original video. That reversed the setting for my TZ101. Hope that helps!

Exactly! Works for ZS110

 Vitold69's gear list:Vitold69's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100
Vitold69
Vitold69 New Member • Posts: 20
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?
3

So, here is complete procedure for TZ110, TZ101 and ZS110 PAL models.

Switching to test mode to have 30p/60p:

1. Switch OFF the camera

2. Put Mode Dial into P position

3. Press and keep DISP., AF/AE Lock and Right Cursor buttons. While keeping switch power On

4. Press Playback button

5. Press and keep AF/AE Lock and Up Cursor buttons. While keeping switch power Off. Black exclamation mark in yellow triangle will appear instead of Lumix logo. Your camera is in test mode now.

Reverting back to initial state:

1. Switch On the camera

2. Put Mode Dial in to P position

3. Press and keep MENU/SET and Right Cursor buttons. While keeping switch power Off

4. Initial Settings screen will appear

5. Press DISP. button

6. Press Right Cursor button and Right Cursor button again

7. Lumix logo will appear. Your camera is in initial state now.

Note, that in test mode your camera does not recognized by Windows PC for unknown reason (for me). Don't worry. Use any card reader and PhotofunStudio to transfer your pictures to PC. PhotofunStudio recognizes SD card structure and transfer all images, videos, time lapse pics, etc properly.

Just curious, is there a brave guy with TZ100/ZS100 NTSC camera to repeat this test? Does it work at all? What will you have - PAL 50p or both 50/60? Very interesting.

UPD. You don't need to buy expensive yet U3 SDXC memory cards to shoot 4K 100 Mbps movies. Records perfectly on 4 GB 20 MB/s SDHC memory card even! Have checked in both test and original modes.

 Vitold69's gear list:Vitold69's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100
alexsh Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

Vitold69 wrote:

Just curious, is there a brave guy with TZ100/ZS100 NTSC camera to repeat this test? Does it work at all? What will you have - PAL 50p or both 50/60? Very interesting.

Thank you for clear instructions!

I just tried this with my TZ110. Switched to NTSC without any problems (so far). I only see 30/60. The video files are indeed 30/60 fps. Haven't tried switching back or connecting to Windows.

I don't really see the difference in the quality of panning between 25 and 60 fps though - it all looks jerky to me. Tried disabling the horizontal stabilization, still looks jerky. But maybe that's just me

EDIT: It seems that switching to NTSC mode got rid of the 15min time limit in 4K mp4 mode. The movement is smoother as well (at 30fps).

Alex

 alexsh's gear list:alexsh's gear list
Panasonic ZS100
Trafford2
Trafford2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,209
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?
1

alexsh wrote:

Vitold69 wrote:

Just curious, is there a brave guy with TZ100/ZS100 NTSC camera to repeat this test? Does it work at all? What will you have - PAL 50p or both 50/60? Very interesting.

Thank you for clear instructions!

I just tried this with my TZ110. Switched to NTSC without any problems (so far). I only see 30/60. The video files are indeed 30/60 fps. Haven't tried switching back or connecting to Windows.

I don't really see the difference in the quality of panning between 25 and 60 fps though - it all looks jerky to me. Tried disabling the horizontal stabilization, still looks jerky. But maybe that's just me

EDIT: It seems that switching to NTSC mode got rid of the 15min time limit in 4K mp4 mode. The movement is smoother as well (at 30fps).

Alex

In the old analog TV days - NTSC went by the mnemonic Never Twice The Same Color.

tdwuk New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Is the TZ110 PAL and NTSC switchable?

Hi,

I haven't tried this yet on my new TZ100 UK 1.2 firmware.  From the youtube video I have seen, after switching the camera back on it asks for home country, does it make a difference if it is set to UK or USA?  I want 60fps and longer 1080 record time, not using 4K yet.

Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads