TG-850 screen sudden malfunction

Started May 19, 2016 | Discussions
Plorenzo New Member • Posts: 7
TG-850 screen sudden malfunction

Hi, my girlfriend has a TG-850, we bought it about a year and a half ago;

it's been working just fine and today the screen suddently just turned off; it's strange cause the camera is working but we can't operate it, since the screen is blank/off.

I'd like to know if something like this had ever happened before to anyone;

Also, since some cameras have a "screen switch off" button, I was wondering if she could have just accidently pressed such a button or combination and switched the screen off.

thank you all,

Paulo

Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,436
Re: TG-850 screen sudden malfunction

A friend met a couple in Florida where their TG-850 had the same problem. He thought the failure might be related to the flip scene. Doesn't appear to be a common problem as yours is only the 2nd report I've heard about.

There is no "off" screen mode. The up arrow on the control pad cycles through the display options. Is the screen also blank in playback mode?

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 +19 more
OP Plorenzo New Member • Posts: 7

Hi, ES,

yes, the screen is always black; it's strange cause we hear the working noises, the flash works, i can actually take pictures, and if we connect the camera to a laptop, we can see and download the photos. It's really just the screen apparenty (?)

PL

Enders Shadow

Exactly the same symptoms that my friend saw. The camera could take and record pictures, but the display was totally dead. He even used a bright pen light to check if just the backlight had failed. But, there was no indication it was working.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 +19 more

Do you happen to know if your friend found the cause?

Or anyway, was it a matter to take it back to the shop? I'm going to do that, but sometimes you see in the foruns that these things turn out to be simple matters and i was wondering.

thanks,

PL

Enders Shadow

It wasn't my friend's camera. He and his son were taking pictures in a hotel's garden when they were approached by a couple with the failed TG-850. They examined the camera, but the display was definitely dead. A failure like this requires sending it to a repair center.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Ok, thank you for your time, appreciate it.

PL

JMC52 New Member • Posts: 1

Hello, My TG-850, purchased in Sept. 2014, is now having the same issue. All of a sudden two days ago, screen is black but camera still seems to take photos. Please update this with any news.  THanks.

CoralReef New Member • Posts: 1

A couple weeks ago, I experienced the exact same problem...Blank screen but still able to take pictures and download them onto my computer.  I was thinking that water got into the screen, as I usually rinse the camera under tapwater, wipe down, and let dry for several hours before opening it up to download pictures.

Ribbi2112 New Member • Posts: 1

I am having the same issue with the screen going black.  Has anyone discovered a solution yet?

Enders Shadow

Ribbi2112 wrote:

I am having the same issue with the screen going black. Has anyone discovered a solution yet?

You could try the reparo spell. But, the more logical option is a trip to a repair facility.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Bonsayolo New Member • Posts: 1

I do have the exact same problem. I let the camera for about a year without charging it since my last trip. Now the LCD display doesn't turn on although the camera seems to be able to take pictures ... Without the LCD display, the camera is obviously useless.

I've read on other threads that flashing the firmware may help, but there is no firmware update available at Olympus website for the TG-850.

Any idea how to reset the LCD display ?

Enders Shadow

Bonsayolo wrote:

Any idea how to reset the LCD display ?

This problem appears to be a hardware failure. Even if you could navigate to the camera reset menu, I doubt it would fix this issue.

-- hide signature --

Phil

artdaimon
artdaimon New Member • Posts: 1

Hello, my TG-850 has also the same problem. The TG-850 LCD screen is dead but i can take pictures. My model is from August 2014.

I also had another problem with that Olympus:

"Olympus has discovered that a small number of Stylus TG-850 cameras have experienced leakage of a small amount of water around the mode dial when the camera is used underwater. We have determined the cameras that may be susceptible to this issue fall within a certain serial number range. It is important to be aware that the affected products are still safe to use as there are no known risks, or reports, of injury or property damage."

http://cache.olympusamerica.com/static/cpg_section/service_announcement/oima_tg-850_announcement.pdf

I will be sending it back to Olympus since it is still under warranty.

I will be posting any news on what it was wrong and how Olympus fixed it.

artdaimon's gear list:artdaimon's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Pentax K-x Nikon D3100
JayBird78 New Member • Posts: 1

I have the TG-860 and it has had the blank screen TWICE. Both times it happened was under completely dry conditions, but both times the screen was flipped in selfie-mode and the flash was set to fire. I suspect the short circuit happens from the flash firing while the screen is folded back in selfie mode. We bought it in April 2015, then the screen went blank in September 2015. We sent it in under warranty and it lasted 8 months until it went blank again in June 2016. I loved the camera, but am weary to buy another Olympus since this issue has happened twice.

My issue is the same as yours, the screen is completely dead (never turns on), but the camera works and makes audible beeps and takes photos - but the screen is completely dead.

Izoto New Member • Posts: 1

Hello I have the exact same problem with this camera. Upon closer inspection when I took my camera apart ( warranty was well over about 1.75 year mark) I found that the data cable for the screen had a tear in it. I assume that this happened because with the constant opening and closing action that the cable was not quite long enough causing slight tension on this cable eventually leading to this tear. Same thing for me dry conditions blank screen. What I would like to know is dose anyone know how to get the screen apart? I am looking to replace the cable. Let me know

ddebbie New Member • Posts: 1

Mine just did this. I think we bought the camera in 2015.  LCD screen went black at a theme park. We have not recently used it in the water. I thought the battery had died. Then the next day, we realized that it was still making the focus  "beep" and we could view pics after we downloaded them.  We are in the middle of a vacation with the grandkids and will continue to use it as we have had enough luck with the photos so far.  I will not be buying this camera again. Too hard to choose which focus to use. TOO MANY CHOICES. Plus, the choice can be changed just by the way one holds the camera, accidentally. And, most of the time we are not happy with the photos using "auto" focus. I only bought the camera because it could be dropped without breaking it. I am hard on cameras. I don't need fancy choices. I just need a sturdy camera that takes decent photos.

vmannn New Member • Posts: 1

My daughters camera has the same problem. It still works except for the screen. To the person who noticed the frayed wire. Were you able to fix the camera?

battle New Member • Posts: 1

I'm having the same problem.  The screen black-out out of no where.  Went down to their service centre and they will charge $200+ to have it fixed.  Kind of dishearted since the repair cost for the screen is about 1/2 the cost of the camera and I do believe the problem will return as it does happen to some labtop that due to the ribbon cable used, some tear or loose connection, the screen suffer black-out where the equipment is working good....

pretty sad...

Sunshinecoast2 New Member • Posts: 2

I have exactly the same problem, camera is just over a year old and the screen has just stopped working.  Tried to do the firmware update, but not available, have emailed Olympus but presume it is only a year warranty.  Really disappointed too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads