How to charge D750 without Nikon charger?

Started May 17, 2016 | Discussions
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,265
How to charge D750 without Nikon charger?

I'm in a national park (Yosemite) with a D750.  The charger and extra battery are mistakenly left at home.  After doing some night shooting last night (which drains the battery crazy quick), I'm down to 25% left on the battery.

Any ideas how to charge?  I gather from some internet research that you can't charge through the USB port - too bad.

-- hide signature --

John

jfriend00's gear list:jfriend00's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 II Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +2 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,955
Re: How to charge D750 without Nikon charger?

jfriend00 wrote:

I'm in a national park (Yosemite) with a D750. The charger and extra battery are mistakenly left at home. After doing some night shooting last night (which drains the battery crazy quick), I'm down to 25% left on the battery.

Any ideas how to charge? I gather from some internet research that you can't charge through the USB port - too bad.

You can charge the battery  only with the Nikon charger or a suitable one made by some independent manufacturer such as Hahnel.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD15 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD10 +5 more
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,788

jfriend00 wrote:

I'm in a national park (Yosemite) with a D750. The charger and extra battery are mistakenly left at home. After doing some night shooting last night (which drains the battery crazy quick), I'm down to 25% left on the battery.

Any ideas how to charge? I gather from some internet research that you can't charge through the USB port - too bad.

You need to tell us what resources you have at your disposal.

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

eajames
eajames Regular Member • Posts: 167

I would be inclined to go to the Awhanee (The Majestic), or the Lodge lobby and see if you can find someone with a Nikon hanging around their neck.  And then ask them kindly if you could borrow their charger.  Good luck!

mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,803

eajames wrote:

I would be inclined to go to the Awhanee (The Majestic), or the Lodge lobby and see if you can find someone with a Nikon hanging around their neck. And then ask them kindly if you could borrow their charger. Good luck!

Good suggestion - happened to me too, I went to a function with 2  batteries but to my dismay one is nearly empty, looking around I saw a fellow Nikon shooter and he happily lending me his charger to charge my second battery.

Good thing is high end Nikon now come with identical battery - your D750 battery is the same with the D7200, D800/D810 etc - should be able to find someone in your vicinity.

Good luck

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
just Tony
just Tony Veteran Member • Posts: 3,839

Have you been through the big store at Yosemite Lodge? Not a great chance for a 3rd party charger that will take your battery but you never know until you try. I've seen "camera" counters in park locations.

If that fails your next nearest options are less than 60 miles away:

http://camera-stores.find-near-me.info/in/yosemite-national-park-ca

ragspix Senior Member • Posts: 1,045

Oh jeeze...

A week and a half ago i was in Nepal and I had forgotten my charger and was midway thru my trip... with a near dead battery

I saw a guy shooting with a 600 where I was staying - he was kind enough to lend me his charger; it saved my ass

I would search for a Nikon shooter

Good luck

Rags

OP jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,265

eajames wrote:

I would be inclined to go to the Awhanee (The Majestic), or the Lodge lobby and see if you can find someone with a Nikon hanging around their neck. And then ask them kindly if you could borrow their charger. Good luck!

This was my thought too. I spent about 90 minutes trying this in the lobby of our hotel. I talked to several Nikon shooters, but didn't find one that had a charger (or would admit to having one). One guy seemed the perfect candidate. He was carrying a big camera bag, had a D750 in a harness on his chest and was checking in to the same hotel. After talking to him, he said he would loan his charger to me, but then couldn't find it in his camera bag. He had two spare batteries which is probably why he didn't bring his charger.

-- hide signature --

John

Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 II Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +2 more

Marianne Oelund wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

You need to tell us what resources you have at your disposal.

What kind of resources?  I have USB wall chargers,   I have a USB car charger.  I have a car.

-- hide signature --

John

jwaif Regular Member • Posts: 495

Check at the Ansel Adams Gallery also.

John

b2martin_a Contributing Member • Posts: 771

Purchase one of these and keep it in your camera bag.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/837580-REG/watson_c_3410_compact_charger_f_nikon_enel15.html

This charger has interchangeable plates that allow you to charge other batteries, they only cost about $5.  I have never used my Nikon charger since I have one of these with the camera.

jtgraphics Contributing Member • Posts: 700

jfriend00 wrote:

Sorry to here this hope you find a charger as this is the only way to charge the battery.

But take is as a lesson, did you learn anything?

I know you did so that's the good part I know you'll never do this again and do get spare batteries, I use the MB16 grip so I have 2 in camera and still have 2 spare batteries.

I've always buy 3-4 batteries for my cameras and always charged before use and keep all your gear together at all times.

-- hide signature --

JTGraphics

jtgraphics's gear list:jtgraphics's gear list
Nikon D750
Adrian Messenger Regular Member • Posts: 157

As others have said, look for a fellow photographer using a Nikon DSLR.

One other remote possibility.  The Yosemite Ansel Adams Gallery, used to and still lists one of the services they provide, "camera rentals".

I once rented a tripod from them long ago when I forgot mine.  Anyway, hopefully in this day and age, they don't only rent film cameras.

Maybe they rent digital Nikons, and if they do, they must have chargers.  Rent one for your stay.

Good luck.

AM

Adrian Messenger's gear list:Adrian Messenger's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D800 Apple iPhone X +6 more
L Copps Senior Member • Posts: 1,609

Save what little power you have left.  Turn off the VR on your lenses and the image review.  If you want to get even more frugal, you can turn the autofocus off on your lenses and manual focus.   You would be surprised how frugal a D750 can be.

L Copps's gear list:L Copps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +10 more
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973

b2martin_a wrote:

Purchase one of these and keep it in your camera bag.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/837580-REG/watson_c_3410_compact_charger_f_nikon_enel15.html

This charger has interchangeable plates that allow you to charge other batteries, they only cost about $5. I have never used my Nikon charger since I have one of these with the camera.

Wow, you go back. I also bought some of the $5 charging plates but that price suddenly changed one day about 4 or 5 years ago. Ever since, whether Pearstone or the identical Watson plates, the price changed to $1.99 per plate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836797-REG/watson_p_3410_battery_adapter_plate_for.html

These plates also work in the Watson (and the no longer available Pearstone)  Duo chargers.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/837243-REG/watson_d_3410_duo_lcd_charger_for.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,414
That was my own experience

eajames wrote:

I had similar experience in a boat in the middle of Pantanal.

I think I had sufficient energy with my spare batteries but I feel much more comfortable recharging them by the end of the day.

I had brought the battery charger but the wrong power cable. I discovered one of our team mates also shot Nikon... and had brought the correct power cable... problem solved.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
Caliginous
Caliginous Regular Member • Posts: 203

jtgraphics wrote:

But take is as a lesson, did you learn anything?

No matter how much you feel like Loaded Fries with extra jalapeños at the time, six to eight hours later you'll be full of regrets?

Caliginous's gear list:Caliginous's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +1 more

jtgraphics wrote:

I know you did so that's the good part I know you'll never do this again and do get spare batteries, I use the MB16 grip so I have 2 in camera and still have 2 spare batteries.

I've always buy 3-4 batteries for my cameras and always charged before use and keep all your gear together at all times.

I have a spare battery.  Everything was packed before the trip including the charger and spare battery.  Then, I thought I should charge up the spare before the trip so I took the charger and the spare out of the camera bag to plug them in at home before I left and that's where they were sitting 48 hours later when I needed them.

For some reason, when I go through a mental checklist of equipment packed (lenses, filters, bodies, plates, etc... the charger isn't in that thought process.  You would hope I would learn or would actually write down a checklist that has everything on it.

-- hide signature --

John

L Copps wrote:

Save what little power you have left. Turn off the VR on your lenses and the image review. If you want to get even more frugal, you can turn the autofocus off on your lenses and manual focus. You would be surprised how frugal a D750 can be.

I made it through the trip with what was left in the one battery.  I was careful about not using image review much, but didn't need to turn off important features like AF or VR.

The main thing I missed out on was some more great opportunities for moonlit shots at night because I couldn't do any of that and hope to have enough battery left for regular shooting.

-- hide signature --

John

Adrian Messenger wrote:

As others have said, look for a fellow photographer using a Nikon DSLR.

One other remote possibility. The Yosemite Ansel Adams Gallery, used to and still lists one of the services they provide, "camera rentals".

I once rented a tripod from them long ago when I forgot mine. Anyway, hopefully in this day and age, they don't only rent film cameras.

Maybe they rent digital Nikons, and if they do, they must have chargers. Rent one for your stay.

Good luck.

The gallery would have been a good thing to check out.  I got this message too late to investigate and see if they had some Nikon chargers.

The challenge is that you not only have to find a fellow Nikon shooter, but you also have to find one that is staying in the park and has ready access to their charger (either has it with them at the time or will let you come by to borrow it later) because you're going to need it for multiple hours.  So, this turned out to be not as easy as one might think.  My best chance would have been hanging out in the lobby where we were staying and looking for people coming back to their room carrying a Nikon.  I tried that for an hour and approached several people, but didn't have any luck.  Came close once with a person who was willing to loan one to me, but didn't have his charger with him on the trip.

I even asked at the hotel lobby in case they had a box somewhere of chargers guests have left behind that I could look through to borrow something (figuring lots of things must get left behind in a busy hotel), but they claimed they didn't have such a box.

Anyway, I made it through the trip on the one battery, but had to skip more long exposure moonlit shots.

-- hide signature --

John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads