D800E Firmware Download & rollback

Started May 14, 2016 | Questions
NearerNirvana
NearerNirvana Senior Member • Posts: 1,612
D800E Firmware Download & rollback

Following the stupid decision to upgrade to version 1.10, I am left looking to roll back.

Does anybody have, or know where to download, firmware version 1.09?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Re: D800E Firmware Download & rollback

What's your problem with 1.10??

-- hide signature --

Jur

NearerNirvana
OP NearerNirvana Senior Member • Posts: 1,612

Jurwees wrote:

lost ability to AF in liveview with my sigma

nuke12
nuke12 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,432

Sorry, I wish I could help. I have the different firmware versions for the D800 but not the D800e.

I've ran across this type of problem before and I don't trust Nikon.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +29 more
NearerNirvana

nuke12 wrote:

... and I don't trust Nikon.

It's unfortunate they leave this impression. I've never bothered with updates before as none of them ever addressed any of my issues with my particular cameras (the D800e is a friends)

The issue was a pile of Kingston elite pro cards which lock up the D800e and I thought the firmware might fix that. NOPE.

All it did was break something else

JJ168 Contributing Member • Posts: 540

NearerNirvana wrote:

Jurwees wrote:

lost ability to AF in liveview with my sigma

Why not gettin your sigma lens updated instead? It is up to sigma to keep up with the firmware update which i believe they did.

JJ168's gear list:JJ168's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
mais51
mais51 Senior Member • Posts: 2,726

NearerNirvana wrote:

nuke12 wrote:

It's unfortunate they leave this impression. I've never bothered with updates before as none of them ever addressed any of my issues with my particular cameras (the D800e is a friends)

The issue was a pile of Kingston elite pro cards which lock up the D800e and I thought the firmware might fix that. NOPE.

All it did was break something else

Last time I used a Kingston card was way back in the past - a 512MB CF card that failed on my PS Canon - got a replacement but this card also failed - from then on Sandisk for me.  Sandisk was not without its faults but at least I could recover the images

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +8 more
nuke12

NearerNirvana wrote:

nuke12 wrote:

It's unfortunate they leave this impression. I've never bothered with updates before as none of them ever addressed any of my issues with my particular cameras (the D800e is a friends)

The issue was a pile of Kingston elite pro cards which lock up the D800e and I thought the firmware might fix that. NOPE.

All it did was break something else

There must be some other "e" owner that keeps their older firmware? I mean this wouldn't be the first time that a Nikon update broke some piece of non-Nikon hardware. It's happened many times in the past. Lenses, flashes, batteries, etc.

It seems that many people don't realize that the firmware can be rolled back.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +29 more
NearerNirvana

nuke12 wrote:

There must be some other "e" owner that keeps their older firmware?

That's exactly what I'm asking for

The Kingston cars, I can do without.

The Sigma lens - is a pre-firmware 100-300 f4. Best zoom lens I have used in 25 yrs of photography so quite important I get it's functionality back.

nuke12

NearerNirvana wrote:

nuke12 wrote:

There must be some other "e" owner that keeps their older firmware?

That's exactly what I'm asking for

The Kingston cars, I can do without.

The Sigma lens - is a pre-firmware 100-300 f4. Best zoom lens I have used in 25 yrs of photography so quite important I get it's functionality back.

My best suggestion is if you don't get help this go around, give the thread a bump every now and then. Maybe someone with the firmware will stumble across the thread.

-- hide signature --

leerob
leerob Senior Member • Posts: 2,352

Ask Nikon about it. They will give you a link.

-- hide signature --

Adam Kielcz

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica C Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica C-Lux Nikon D7100 +5 more
John M Roberts Senior Member • Posts: 2,637

leerob wrote:

How about asking Sigma? Wouldn't they have a concern for their customers in regards to the longevity of their product to keep their customer base happy and trusting that the products they purchase from them are not just disposable items. Perhaps they have something to load to make it compatible with the recent upgrade. They had to have done it in the first place of initially offering their lens.

If I'm off please enlighten me to how 3rd party compatibility works in the first place in order to sell their product.

Edit, just read jj168 reply who I seem to be echoing. Makes sense.

nuke12

Sigma might or might not be able to upgrade the lens. I remember a previous problem where some versions of the Sigma 150-500 could be flashed with new firmware but older versions could not.

The OP probably does not want the expense or time required to send the lens away. If the newest camera firmware had fixed the issue that he had updated the camera for in the first place then there would be some benefit. As it is, there is no gain and he simply wants to go back to where he was.

If Nikon was a really nice company, they would provide previous versions of their firmware and let the user decide what they want.

-- hide signature --

leerob
leerob Senior Member • Posts: 2,352

I bid Nikon will provide a path to solution.

-- hide signature --

Adam Kielcz

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica C Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica C-Lux Nikon D7100 +5 more
NearerNirvana

John M Roberts wrote:

leerob wrote:

Thanks. I have done. Thought to ask here whilst I wait for them to get back to me.

How about asking Sigma? Wouldn't they have a concern for their customers in regards to the longevity of their product to keep their customer base happy and trusting that the products they purchase from them are not just disposable items. Perhaps they have something to load to make it compatible with the recent upgrade. They had to have done it in the first place of initially offering their lens.

If I'm off please enlighten me to how 3rd party compatibility works in the first place in order to sell their product.

Not sure. I guess it involved business lunches, suits & a heated discussion about license fees -all without the presence of the software engineers

Edit, just read jj168 reply who I seem to be echoing. Makes sense.

Thanks for your time.

TBH, I think it makes sense to first return to the point before the fix which caused the fault (ie Nikon's firmware update)

Secondly, wouldn't I need a Sigma dock and compatible lens to do as you kindly suggest? I think I'd have to send my lens off to be rechipped. As nuke12 says...

....the expense or time required to send the lens away.

Finally -the sentence "Wouldn't they have a concern for their customers in regards to the longevity of their product to keep their customer base happy and trusting that the products they purchase from them are not just disposable item"

???! I must be in an alternative reality to you my friend Where I'm from consumerism is largely driven along a predetermined path of planned obsolescence

NearerNirvana

leerob wrote:

I bid Nikon will provide a path to solution.

I hope so. Maybe I'm just being a bit impatient. In my defense: I have this D800e on a limited loan whilst I determine whether or not to buy it.

westcoasthd
westcoasthd Contributing Member • Posts: 623

Interesting in that not all products allow you to roll back firmware to an older version. I have  reinstalled the same version on a camera, but never tried to go back to an earlier one. I usually keep a copy of  the versions that I have down loaded.

Unfortunately I don't own a D800, so I have never down loaded that firmware. Does any know if Nikon allows you to go backwords in the normal in camera process and select an older version? If not then it might require a service call either for the lens or camera.

Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,300

There is no 1.09 version?

Here's previous version: http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7851/kw/d800e

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +2 more
NearerNirvana

Janoch wrote:

There is no 1.09 version?

It seems to be the Marie Celeste update!

It's not just the D810.

This: http://www.d5100dslr.com/tutorials/d5100firmwareupdate109/#more-520

Yet this (current update):

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/23/D5100.html

I wouldn't usually trust a fanboy site over the official site, but I also have the fact that I took a note of the installed firmware version before I updated it.

mais51
mais51 Senior Member • Posts: 2,726

NearerNirvana wrote:

Following the stupid decision to upgrade to version 1.10, I am left looking to roll back.

Does anybody have, or know where to download, firmware version 1.09?

Have you looked into your PC download folder ?  The old firmware may still be there.  I always download and save in a Firmware folder and back-up before updating

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads