Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?

Started May 13, 2016 | Discussions
scarlet knight
scarlet knight Contributing Member • Posts: 978
Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?

It is sold body only, as you enthusiasts know.

 scarlet knight's gear list:scarlet knight's gear list
Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Nikon Z50 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +15 more
Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mb shaffer
mb shaffer Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?

It really depends on your own style and budget, and how you feel about primes v. zooms. My most often used lenses, in order, are ...

  1. m.Zuiko 17mm
  2. PL Summilux 25mm
  3. m.Zuiko 12mm
  4. m.Zuiko 12-50mm
 mb shaffer's gear list:mb shaffer's gear list
Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus E-M5 II Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +6 more
Karld70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,553
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?
2

PL15 1.7

JDLaing
JDLaing Veteran Member • Posts: 6,426
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?
1

25mm f/1.8

 JDLaing's gear list:JDLaing's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica M8.2 Leica M Typ 240 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7 II +17 more
Steve_
Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,876
what I would buy doesn't matter so much
5

I've got most of the popular m43 lenses, and my go-to is the 12-35/2.8 Panasonic. I thought I would replace it with a 12-40/2.8 Olympus when they became available, but it turned out kind of huge and the 12-35 isn't. The image quality is very good, besting some of the prime lenses I have in its range, equaling others. And they aren't nearly so expensive as they were when I bought mine, about 650USD gray market via ebay.

You might also consider a 12-32 Panasonic. It is a tiny lens - tiny like the 14/2.5 Panasonic pancake. it extends when used, but is still tiny. And the image quality is good, at least equal to the 14 plus the useful focal length range. I just picked up a new silver take-off lens from Taiwan for 119USD shipped. Mine has replaced the 14 as the primary lens for the old E-M5 that lives in the center console of my car - a 35-100/4-5.6 Panny fits in there too, 130USD in the same box from Taiwan.

But what matters is what you desire. If you are thinking prime lenses, then you will probably end up buying one. As far as focal length, get the one that's best for you and your use. If you don't know, buy the 12-32 or an Oly 14-42R cheap off of ebay and find out. Just understand that the image quality of the 12-40 and 12-35 zooms is so good that a bit faster aperture is all you'll really gain, performance wise.

 Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +13 more
Denny Smith 16 Contributing Member • Posts: 657
Re: what I would buy doesn't matter so much
1

I went with the Panny/Leica 15mm, 25mm and 45mm Micro, then added the 42.5 Noct.  Waiting for the 12mm to be released.  The PL lenses seem to have a little faster focusing, and better Iris f/stop control.  They are also small and compact on the Pen F (except for the Noct, which is still nicely balanced).

dS

-- hide signature --

Cheers

 Denny Smith 16's gear list:Denny Smith 16's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus PEN-F Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 +15 more
addlightness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,184
Another vote for 15mmf1.7

which I already have

 addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +10 more
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,771
17mm 1.8

If you only have 1 lens it has to be the Olympus 17mm 1.8

After that either the 12mm f2 or the PL 15mm 1.7

Then for portraits, either the Oly 25mm 1.8 or the 45mm 1.8

For zoom, the Oly 12-40mm 2.8 is a must , if you don't care about primes

But it'd be head heavy on the Pen

Cheers,

 dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,727
It should be offered with the 12-40 as a kit.

The 12-40 makes the most sense as a kit lens. It is the lens I use the most, by far (not on the Pen-F because I wouldn't buy this camera which I consider ugly).

-- hide signature --

Enjoying the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

 Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
isinadinos
isinadinos Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?

Pen-F 's target group is for people who are interested for street photography. I would suggest mZuiko 17mm or 25mm 1.8, whatever suites best for you. Both lenses are small with fast AF.

 isinadinos's gear list:isinadinos's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,832
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?
1

scarlet knight wrote:

It is sold body only, as you enthusiasts know.

NOBODY can answer you if you do not share some basic information such as :

Which subjects do you photograph the most ?

what is your budget ?

do you have constraints about size and weight ?

do you print often ? if so what size

with this info you could het much more useful information outside which other people are using which may not be that relevant to your needs

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,832
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?

isinadinos wrote:

Pen-F 's target group is for people who are interested for street photography.

This is just ONE of the target but this is too restrictive

Not to mention that street photography is like art photography. It does not mean the same thing at all for different people

H

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
PentaxNick Senior Member • Posts: 1,720
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?

I bought mine with he 17mm f/1.8 kit plus the 9mm f/8 body cap, 9-18mm, 12mm f/2, 45mm f/1.8. I already had the 14-40 EZ.

Of these the 12mm is on the camera most of the time, followed by the 45mm.

Whatever you get add the 9mm body cap !

-- hide signature --

Nick

 PentaxNick's gear list:PentaxNick's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Ricoh GR Olympus Tough TG-4 Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F +12 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,832
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?
1

PentaxNick wrote:

I Whatever you get add the 9mm body cap !

Why ?? it is barely a lens and produced very low quality  images

Not a good advice IMO

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Okapi001 Senior Member • Posts: 5,090
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?

Harold66 wrote:

PentaxNick wrote:

I Whatever you get add the 9mm body cap !

Why ?? it is barely a lens and produced very low quality images

Not a good advice IMO

It's in fact very nice lens, super-small and very affordable, and produces perfectly acceptable images. I highly recommend it.

 Okapi001's gear list:Okapi001's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +16 more
addlightness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,184
Re: It should be offered with the 12-40 as a kit.

Paul De Bra wrote:

The 12-40 makes the most sense as a kit lens. It is the lens I use the most, by far (not on the Pen-F because I wouldn't buy this camera which I consider ugly).

Maybe for EM-1 but for PEN-F, it just begs for a fast wide-ish prime.  YMMV

 addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +10 more
addlightness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,184
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?

Harold66 wrote:

PentaxNick wrote:

I Whatever you get add the 9mm body cap !

Why ?? it is barely a lens and produced very low quality images

Not a good advice IMO

I beg to differ:

9mmBCL

 addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +10 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,832
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?
1

addlightness wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

PentaxNick wrote:

I Whatever you get add the 9mm body cap !

Why ?? it is barely a lens and produced very low quality images

Not a good advice IMO

I beg to differ:

9mmBCL

You are entitled to your own opinion of course but the fact remains that this is hardly a lens. Putting aside the focal length you would get a better image quality  from a smartphone. The file attached is taken in very bright light with a high speed and at base iso. Despite these favorable conditions , the quality of the file is so bad it could not turn into a decent sellable 8x10" print. Look at the foliage in the trees or the background. Plenty of artifacts , aberrations.
it is a toy lens , might be OK if the images are only made to be posted online on places where quality does not matter ( family pics) but it is definitely NOT a lens to recommend blindly. 
Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
PentaxNick Senior Member • Posts: 1,720
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?

Harold66 wrote:

addlightness wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

PentaxNick wrote:

I Whatever you get add the 9mm body cap !

Why ?? it is barely a lens and produced very low quality images

Not a good advice IMO

I beg to differ:

9mmBCL

You are entitled to your own opinion of course but the fact remains that this is hardly a lens. Putting aside the focal length you would get a better image quality from a smartphone. The file attached is taken in very bright light with a high speed and at base iso. Despite these favorable conditions , the quality of the file is so bad it could not turn into a decent sellable 8x10" print. Look at the foliage in the trees or the background. Plenty of artifacts , aberrations.
it is a toy lens , might be OK if the images are only made to be posted online on places where quality does not matter ( family pics) but it is definitely NOT a lens to recommend blindly.
Harold

The focal length (and lack of size) is the whole point. It can disappear into the bottom of your bag to be pulled out for the shots when needed. So cheap too. Even if boy used for a few pictures a year it's great value.

-- hide signature --

Nick

 PentaxNick's gear list:PentaxNick's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Ricoh GR Olympus Tough TG-4 Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F +12 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,832
Re: Oly PEN-F: which lens would you buy for it first?

PentaxNick wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

addlightness wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

PentaxNick wrote:

I Whatever you get add the 9mm body cap !

Why ?? it is barely a lens and produced very low quality images

Not a good advice IMO

I beg to differ:

9mmBCL

You are entitled to your own opinion of course but the fact remains that this is hardly a lens. Putting aside the focal length you would get a better image quality from a smartphone. The file attached is taken in very bright light with a high speed and at base iso. Despite these favorable conditions , the quality of the file is so bad it could not turn into a decent sellable 8x10" print. Look at the foliage in the trees or the background. Plenty of artifacts , aberrations.
it is a toy lens , might be OK if the images are only made to be posted online on places where quality does not matter ( family pics) but it is definitely NOT a lens to recommend blindly.
Harold

The focal length (and lack of size) is the whole point. It can disappear into the bottom of your bag to be pulled out for the shots when needed. So cheap too. Even if boy used for a few pictures a year it's great value.

Well as I said each to his own but what is the use of pulling the camera out of the bag if a good photo opportunity appears if the result is going to be mediocre ?

The whole argument of size does not really hold because the Panasonic 12-32mm is about the same size and provides a much better quality and more options to shoot

It is worth noting that olympus does not list this "thing' as a lens but as an accessory. Enough said . The OP has enough info to decide on his own

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads