Review

Started May 11, 2016 | User reviews
korenje Regular Member • Posts: 241
Review

This lens has exceptionally fast autofocus, probably the fastest i've seen. It produces stunningly sharp images. The only issue is focus problems in low to medium light conditions.

Probably the best used for portrait rather than macro just because of the sharp images.

 korenje's gear list:korenje's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR
Telephoto macro prime lens • Nikon F (FX) • 1455
Announced: Feb 21, 2006
korenje's score
4.5
Average community score
4.9
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,581
Re: Review
1

Hi, I have used this lens for years and love it but............the fastest autofocus you've seen? Try the 24-70, 70-200 or for exceptionally fast focus the 200-400,

-- hide signature --

Pete

 ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
labalaba Senior Member • Posts: 1,088
Re: Review

ormdig wrote:

Hi, I have used this lens for years and love it but............the fastest autofocus you've seen? Try the 24-70, 70-200 or for exceptionally fast focus the 200-400,

I agree with OP, this lens has very fast autofocus for a 105mm macro lens.  This was one of my reasons for originally choosing the Nikon system.

ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,581
Re: Review

labalaba wrote:

ormdig wrote:

Hi, I have used this lens for years and love it but............the fastest autofocus you've seen? Try the 24-70, 70-200 or for exceptionally fast focus the 200-400,

I agree with OP, this lens has very fast autofocus for a 105mm macro lens. This was one of my reasons for originally choosing the Nikon system.

Hi, I have shot many, many flying insects with the 105 and they don't stand still :-). I totally agree that it is a very fast focusing lens but it isn't in the same league with the lenses I stated. They are near instantaneous even in low light.

The 105's main attraction, for me, is the sharp, flat image it provides. One of my favorite lenses,

-- hide signature --

Pete

 ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
SkvLTD
SkvLTD Contributing Member • Posts: 903
Re: Review

AF really isn't for macro itself, but everything else you can shoot with a macro lens, soooo.....

-- hide signature --

Sensors capture and render that light, so best sensor always wins despite glass outlasting the sensors.

 SkvLTD's gear list:SkvLTD's gear list
Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D600 Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,581
Re: Review

SkvLTD wrote:

AF really isn't for macro itself, but everything else you can shoot with a macro lens, soooo.....

It is when the little buggers won't stay still,

-- hide signature --

Pete

 ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
SkvLTD
SkvLTD Contributing Member • Posts: 903
Re: Review

When you're at 1:1 they either go closer than focus can engage, or farther and you lose your magnification. And at f/32+ and flash, that micro-movement can become negligible.

-- hide signature --

Sensors capture and render that light, so best sensor always wins despite glass outlasting the sensors.

 SkvLTD's gear list:SkvLTD's gear list
Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D600 Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,581
Re: Review

SkvLTD wrote:

When you're at 1:1 they either go closer than focus can engage, or farther and you lose your magnification. And at f/32+ and flash, that micro-movement can become negligible.

Are we into semantics here? Perhaps I should use the term "close up"? I'm not sure what you are arguing here. I said I have shot many, many flying insects with the AF on the 105. Close focus distance is 12" which is closer than I can get to a fast moving critter. F32? I don't think so, I want detail. This lens and a D800 is a killer combination,

-- hide signature --

Pete

 ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
knightmelodic
knightmelodic Senior Member • Posts: 1,647
Re: Review
1

SkvLTD wrote:

AF really isn't for macro itself, but everything else you can shoot with a macro lens, soooo.....

I agree. If you're looking for blazing fast AF look elsewhere. And if the buzzys are too fast for you you're probably scaring them and need to move slower or farther away (200mm Micro, superb).

-- hide signature --

I keep it together by falling apart.

 knightmelodic's gear list:knightmelodic's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +15 more
SkvLTD
SkvLTD Contributing Member • Posts: 903
Re: Review

ormdig wrote:

SkvLTD wrote:

When you're at 1:1 they either go closer than focus can engage, or farther and you lose your magnification. And at f/32+ and flash, that micro-movement can become negligible.

Are we into semantics here? Perhaps I should use the term "close up"? I'm not sure what you are arguing here. I said I have shot many, many flying insects with the AF on the 105. Close focus distance is 12" which is closer than I can get to a fast moving critter. F32? I don't think so, I want detail. This lens and a D800 is a killer combination,

Do go on.

-- hide signature --

Sensors capture and render that light, so best sensor always wins despite glass outlasting the sensors.

 SkvLTD's gear list:SkvLTD's gear list
Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D600 Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T3 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads