Pro 2 exposure comp dial

Started May 10, 2016 | Discussions
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 12,406
Pro 2 exposure comp dial

I just got a Pro2 and so far am quite happy.  There is one annoying thing, however. My thumb can accidentally move the exposure comp dial.  Is there some way to fix exposure comp to disable the dial so I don't accidentally change it?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +13 more
Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,589
Re: Pro 2 exposure comp dial

Turn the EC dial to C, which transfers exposure compensation to the front dial (and expands its range). Then hold the EC dial fixed on C with a strip of gaffer tape.

lnbolch
lnbolch Senior Member • Posts: 2,329

Since it is the most used control on the camera, making it less easy to turn would be a real bother. It is perfectly placed to dial in the ideal histogram for every shot, no matter how the lighting changes, giving consistent exposures and much less work in processing.

One of the strong points of the camera body design is that you can see the whole of exposure settings with a single glance at the top of the camera. The exception would be for studio use with strobes where it has no effect.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Tony Bonanno
Tony Bonanno Senior Member • Posts: 1,045

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Is there some way to fix exposure comp to disable the dial so I don't accidentally change it?

Thanks

Charles2 describes the solution in his reply to you.  I elaborate in a little more detail in the following post...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57467110

The Exp comp dial is my least used control and the frequency of accidental changes in exposure due to the dial getting turned has been a bummer with every X camera (and I've had them all) - at least for street work.  Being able to change the control to the front dial is a GREAT option and actually an option I really prefer.  Wish I could take the big dedicated dial off the camera and replace it with something more useful :-).

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP Professional Member, APA National Member
www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D5 Leica M10 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +2 more
dmaclau Veteran Member • Posts: 3,018

I've pre ordered a thumb grip from lensmate.  I'm hoping that avoids this problem

-- hide signature --

absolute power corrupts...absolutely

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Truman Prevatt
OP Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 12,406

Tony Bonanno wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Is there some way to fix exposure comp to disable the dial so I don't accidentally change it?

Thanks

Charles2 describes the solution in his reply to you. I elaborate in a little more detail in the following post...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57467110

The Exp comp dial is my least used control and the frequency of accidental changes in exposure due to the dial getting turned has been a bummer with every X camera (and I've had them all) - at least for street work. Being able to change the control to the front dial is a GREAT option and actually an option I really prefer. Wish I could take the big dedicated dial off the camera and replace it with something more useful :-).

It is not a huge issue - although it can be aggravating.  It is probably more me than the camera and I am sure I will accommodate as I get more experience with it.  On the street is where I noticed it.  On the street one needs to often work quickly - concentrate on the scene rather than the camera.  I will just have to learn to keep my fat thumbs where the belong or as suggested move the function to the front dial.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads