Dust successfully vacuumed off LX100 sensor

Started May 2, 2016 | Discussions
Boss of Sony Senior Member • Posts: 1,633
Dust successfully vacuumed off LX100 sensor

Hi, I found dust on my LX100 sensor recently. I noticed it in the sky in portrait shots. Then did the standard test at narrow aperture on a white wall. It was definitely dust, you could see it on the LCD screen in real time.

I put an old filter on the lens, put a small nozzle onto the vacuum cleaner, held the nozzle against the lens (while extended and retracted) on maximum suction and plugged the air gaps with my fingers. I tried it several times, then checked the camera, but the dust was still there. I had heard that one person persevered and eventually got the dust off. So I did it about 5 times, and lo and behold! The dust was gone!

Saves me money and time sending it off to get repaired!

I am not recommending this as if you do it carelessly you may damage your camera. But if you have no other option, just letting you know that it worked for me.

Boss of Sony's gear list:Boss of Sony's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 12mm F1.4 ASPH Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens
Olympus Air Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,892
Re: Dust successfully vacuumed off LX100 sensor

You were lucky, I think -- so now you can be "Boss of Panasonic"!

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Sony RX10 IV Panasonic ZS100
Bangers and Mash
Bangers and Mash Senior Member • Posts: 2,760

That's good to know. I'm glad you were able to get it off from the sensor.

It proves then, that air does get in through the back of the lens. One thing though; the dust is off the sensor, so where did the dust go? It's still, I assume inside the body of the camera, and may, at a future date, land right back on the sensor. Hopefully not, but if it does, at least you can relocate it when it does. "The cycle of dust."

Cheers

Wayne

-- hide signature --

A smart person knows what to say, a wise person knows whether or not to say it.

Bangers and Mash's gear list:Bangers and Mash's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,701

Bangers and Mash wrote:

It proves then, that air does get in through the back of the lens. One thing though; the dust is off the sensor, so where did the dust go? It's still, I assume inside the body of the camera, and may, at a future date, land right back on the sensor. Hopefully not, but if it does, at least you can relocate it when it does. "The cycle of dust."

Cheers

Wayne

It seems to me that in this case there is very good reason to think that the dust is now in the vacuum cleaner - he was running the vacuum next to the lens while pumping the lens in & out to get the dust airborne.

I'm not sure I'd want to try it on a larger camera like an LX100 for fear that there could be more components in the way, but at least on smaller Pansaonic, I've successfully gone in with tools and manually cleaned debris off the sensors - the most difficult part is finding the tools, often sub- millimeter TORX bits.

There are several tutorials for doing this on YouTube.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Bangers and Mash

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Cheers

Wayne

It seems to me that in this case there is very good reason to think that the dust is now in the vacuum cleaner - he was running the vacuum next to the lens while pumping the lens in & out to get the dust airborne.

I'm not sure I'd want to try it on a larger camera like an LX100 for fear that there could be more components in the way, but at least on smaller Pansaonic, I've successfully gone in with tools and manually cleaned debris off the sensors - the most difficult part is finding the tools, often sub- millimeter TORX bits.

I sure hope you are right Erik.

-- hide signature --

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Cheers

Wayne

You have a strip down now to help. Worth bookmarking I would have thought if you have not seen it.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2827016212/under-the-hood-a-look-inside-the-panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100

I banged my TZ40 on the side with my hand and that removed a big lump on the sensor.

tkpatric Senior Member • Posts: 1,692

Greynerd wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

Cheers

Wayne

You have a strip down now to help. Worth bookmarking I would have thought if you have not seen it.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2827016212/under-the-hood-a-look-inside-the-panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100

I banged my TZ40 on the side with my hand and that removed a big lump on the sensor.

I had dust in my LF1 and no fitting tube on the vacuum cleaner. I asked my wife to suck on the lens and it worked!

tkpatric's gear list:tkpatric's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony a6000
Jung3 New Member • Posts: 1

I strongly urge anyone who wants to clean up their LX100 sensor not to vacuum their camera and hope for the best.

I've tried your vacuum method and it was disastrous for me. I ended up going through the disassembly (referenced iFixit guide) to clean up the sensor. Here is my progress:

#1: Initial condition

#2: After vacuum method. Did NOT get any better with more vacuuming.

#3: After proper disassembly cleanup. Took me roughly 30mins to get this done.

Bangers and Mash
You have nerve!!!

The first picture resembles my first one with what looks like a piece of hair.

Well, I do admire your courage. I'm sure if I was to do that I would definitely muck it up. But I don't need to be concerned anymore as I sold the camera a number of months ago. Sad to see it go as it was a nice little camera and I loved it's features, but I couldn't deal with the possibility of having dust again.

Well done.

Wayne

-- hide signature --

Bejersey
Bejersey Forum Pro • Posts: 13,382
Re: You have nerve!!!

Bangers and Mash wrote:

The first picture resembles my first one with what looks like a piece of hair.

Well, I do admire your courage. I'm sure if I was to do that I would definitely muck it up. But I don't need to be concerned anymore as I sold the camera a number of months ago. Sad to see it go as it was a nice little camera and I loved it's features, but I couldn't deal with the possibility of having dust again.

Well done.

Wayne

Yes...bravo to you!!! So far I have not seen dust in my unit.

Rick

AndreasBraun
AndreasBraun Contributing Member • Posts: 708
Re: You have nerve!!!

"But I don't need to be concerned anymore as I sold the camera a number of months ago. Sad to see it go as it was a nice little camera and I loved it's features, but I couldn't deal with the possibility of having dust again."

A serious question: do you stay away from each and every technical product like for instance cars, tv-sets, kitchen aids, watches, smart phones, or whatever there is, because of possible issues? Your attitude towards the LX100 seems to suggest that.

I don't think that this is the case but your verdict of the LX100 is - excuse the word - kind of strange. In particular since you are proclaiming this over and over again.

A different example: years ago I've purchased a premium pair of binoculars (Leica Ultravid 10x42, about 2000 Euros) which had a slight issue. Contacting Leica they asked for sending it in and shortly after I did get a new one without any problem. Period. Do you think I'd never again purchase such a Leica product?

Technical products are of course not immune against occasional issues. The real problem only arises when the manufacturer/vendor refuses taking action.

Andreas

AndreasBraun's gear list:AndreasBraun's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)
QDNUT New Member • Posts: 5

Try this great tip from another member of dpreview, it works great for me, save me $$$, took me about 5th try all the dust was gone!

Stungun wrote

... The dust can be easily removed with a vacuum cleaner, just make an adapter with a plastic bottle and while the vacuum cleaner is sucking the air, turn the camera on and zoom in and out several times .
The adaptor can be made with a small plastic water bottle, cut both sides, one end will receive the vacuum hose and the other end the lens of the camera, the size must allow the lens to fully extend. If your vacuum cleaner is very strong , set it to low power or cut some holes in the adaptor . Did this procedure sometimes and it works like magic even for sensor dust.

Mysterenigma New Member • Posts: 1

Any tips on how I can do this? The hair and dust on my LX100 looks very similar to your original image and before taking it apart I do want to try the vacuum trick just in case. I've looked at the ifixit guide but it doesn't tell you how to clean the sensor. Do you have any tips because I believe the hair is in my lens so not just the sensor.

Thank you

lasarastark New Member • Posts: 2

It worked for me! I had something like a hair right in the middle of the screen and couldn't get rid of it by just tapping the lens. So I tried the vaccum method an the hair disspeared!  I am not completely happy because other 'things' appeared, but they're just a couple of spots, not as annoying as the hair. I will probably insist with an slightly more powerful vaccum and see if I can get my sensor clean as new1 Thanks!

Bangers and Mash

lasarastark wrote:

It worked for me! I had something like a hair right in the middle of the screen and couldn't get rid of it by just tapping the lens. So I tried the vaccum method an the hair disspeared! I am not completely happy because other 'things' appeared, but they're just a couple of spots, not as annoying as the hair. I will probably insist with an slightly more powerful vaccum and see if I can get my sensor clean as new1 Thanks!

I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't know how you put up with it. I got rid of mine. Too frustrating to deal with. Not worth the hassles. My advice: Clean it, sell it, and buy a camera with an interchangeable lens. At least you can clean the sensor on that.

Wayne

-- hide signature --

reidefine New Member • Posts: 1

Made an account just to comment to maybe help someone else.

At first I just had 1 or 2 spots showing up in my photos but they were kind of big.  I kind of stopped using the camera for a while because it showed in all my photos.  Tried the suggestion of throwing the camera onto a bed to try to shake the dust off the sensor.  Didn't help in my case. Put it aside again then a while later tried the vacuum trick.  It made the dust way worse.  Photos were pretty much unusable now with so much dust on the sensor.  Maybe my technique was wrong?  Put the camera aside again.  Lately I've been looking to buy a new camera to replace the LX100 and to start taking photos again.  So today I figured why not just take the damn thing apart if I'm thinking of replacing it anyway.  Followed the iFixit guide to taking the LX100 apart and broke it down until I reached the sensor.  Cleaned the sensor with a really cheap brush, an alcohol swap, and pressurized air to dry the sensor.  Amazing!  I'd say it's 99%.  There is one little spot i can see but its far off to the right and relatively small.  But other than that it looks almost good as new.  I'm really happy I finally gave it a shot.

Took me about 2 hours to do the whole thing.  Kinda long because I hard a hard time prying some parts apart.  But as long as you have the correct bits and keep the screws organized, it's doable.  Camera will go from sitting in my drawer to actually being used again.  Although, I think I may have broken AF-C because it just keeps focusing back and forth, hunting and won't focus correctly.  But I never use AF-C anyway so if that's hopefully the only trade off, I'm fine with that.  At least I can take photos again.

If you guys are sitting on LX100's that have dusty sensors, don't be afraid to try taking it apart and cleaning the sensor!

Bangers and Mash

You are very fortunate, but happy you resolved the issue 99% as you mentioned. With my clumsy hands i would have made a botched up job for sure. Now if I was a rich man, i would have tried it just for fun, and if I did botch it up, big deal.

Well, I hope you don't have to go through it again.

Wayne

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads