D750 not recording lens model in EXIF data

Started Apr 30, 2016 | Discussions
TiffK
TiffK Forum Member • Posts: 50
D750 not recording lens model in EXIF data

My Nikon D750 stopped recording the lens data (which lens is mounted) about a month and a half ago. Other EXIF Data is being recorded such as the photo settings. I use all Nikon Branded Lenses. The lens data is not being written to the file by the D750 for any of the lenses. Has anyone else experienced this?

TiffK's gear list:TiffK's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 2500 Nikon D80 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +6 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
thelenspainter Senior Member • Posts: 1,894
Re: D750 not recording lens model in EXIF data

Hmm... I don't think Nikon cameras actually record the lens make and model at all. They only populate one field which is a generic field that contains the max and min aperture, and max and min focal length. So for a 70-300 4-5.6 lens the field looks like this: 70, 300, 4, 5.6. Take a look at the raw EXIF with Lightroom or similar and you'll see this value.

An alternative theory would be that the lens model data is in a proprietary EXIF field that only Nikon software will read (for lens corrections and such).

thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Leica TL2 Leica T 55-135mm F3.5-4.5 Leica Summilux-TL 35mm F1.4 ASPH Leica TL 18mm F2.8 +1 more
TiffK
OP TiffK Forum Member • Posts: 50

I don't think this is the case. Lightroom metadata is unknown lens. Prior to a month and a half ago Lightroom knew which make and model lens was attached. Now it shows nothing or unavailable. So I checked the original files to see if the exif data for the lens was in the properies.

Nikon Coolpix 2500 Nikon D80 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +6 more
thelenspainter Senior Member • Posts: 1,894

Right, so check the raw EXIF like I said. Most likely the field I mentioned is not populating. Try resetting the camera to factory defaults.

thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Leica TL2 Leica T 55-135mm F3.5-4.5 Leica Summilux-TL 35mm F1.4 ASPH Leica TL 18mm F2.8 +1 more
KurtHoyle
KurtHoyle Contributing Member • Posts: 526

The exif data for the lenses doesn't show on Windows 10 for me.

I can see the lens data when using the Exiftool software however!

Robert Peters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,396

This was a bug in Lightroom C 2015.5 and Lightroom 6.5 which only appears for Nikon DSLRs. The latest Lightroom release corrects the problem.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/04/lightroom-cc-2015-5-1-now-available.html

Robert Peters's gear list:Robert Peters's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +13 more
TiffK

I updated lightroom. it still doesn't know what lens I used. Will not figure that out since it wasn't working on import? I haven't importing new photos yet.

TiffK

ok, Never mind. It looks like it figures it out if i tell it to read the metadata from the file.

Thanks for the help.

There are instructions which accompany the update.

(1)  Select all the NEF files in Lightroom which do not show the correct lens information.

(2)  Now "Write Metadata to Files"

(3)  With the images still selected you then "Read Metadata From Files"

Done.

Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +13 more

If you Read Metadata From Files without first executing Write Metadata to FIles then you have clobbered all edits you have done to the affected images.

Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,189

In your Library module, use the Metadata filter to find all images with "Unknown Lens" since March of this year. The collection should include all the images you've imported since the version 6.5 update, which has the bug.

• Ctl/Cmd, A to select all "Unknown Lens" files
  • Ctl/Cmd, S to save Metadata to the files. If you shoot in Raw, this will create sidecar XMP files preserving all the work you've done to the images since import. This is an important step because, if skipped, the next step will undo any editing you've done to the files.
  • Ctl/Cmd, R to read Metadata from the XMP files. This will read and display the Metadata, including the lens ID info.

Good luck.

TiffK wrote:

I updated lightroom. it still doesn't know what lens I used. Will not figure that out since it wasn't working on import? I haven't importing new photos yet.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
lickity split
lickity split Veteran Member • Posts: 5,406

thelenspainter wrote:

Hmm... I don't think Nikon cameras actually record the lens make and model at all. They only populate one field which is a generic field that contains the max and min aperture, and max and min focal length. So for a 70-300 4-5.6 lens the field looks like this: 70, 300, 4, 5.6. Take a look at the raw EXIF with Lightroom or similar and you'll see this value.

An alternative theory would be that the lens model data is in a proprietary EXIF field that only Nikon software will read (for lens corrections and such).

Not so , if you look at my Flickr exif the D500 and the D810 record different lens info but they both record the Lens ID # , the D810 records Model also, both record focusing distance.

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads