D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

Started Apr 24, 2016 | Discussions
jsa Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: Lexar XQD in D500 -- same issue

Speedeye wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

My thoughts at this time are:

1. Problem only with the Lexar UHS-II SD cards, XQD seem to all work fine

First shoot with my D500 and a brand new Lexar XQD 64GB 2933x card, and I got this error message after 16 shots: "XQD This memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged. Insert another card."

Prior to last night's shoot, card had been formatted in the camera, then I took one shot and popped it into my SONY XQD card reader. I was able to load the image into LR, so it appeared that everything was fine before the shoot.

I shut the camera off, popped the card out and back in, and continued to shoot 700+ images without further incidents. Today, I have gotten the error message 2 or 3 times while reviewing images.

I think I'll put the new Lexar XQD card in my faithful D4 tonight for another shoot. Maybe I'll get a clue whether this is Lexar's issue or Nikon's.

Another XQD error report.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/4glfv0/my_d500_first_impressions/

-- hide signature --

Cheers
John

jsa's gear list:jsa's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +11 more
Micma
Micma Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

Got the 1000x 128GB flavor of the Lexar SDXC and getting the error also. Will be testing more. I was using Lexar XQD 128GB 2933x as primary Raw 14bit lossless and SDXC as jpeg, image review off and got the error while reviewing about a dozen pictures sometimes 2nd or third picture down. XQD alone seems fine.

-- hide signature --

From D70s to D500

Micma's gear list:Micma's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +1 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,339
Did you try the above fix?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57691082

Interesting to see if it works

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
Stevequad
Stevequad Senior Member • Posts: 1,673
Re: PROBLEM FIXED!!!!

Barry Wildlife Photographer wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

Has anybody read the Lexar fault help page? Has anyone tried formatting the cards with the SD 3.0 formatter program as suggested?

The page is here.

http://www.lexar.com/support/sdxc-faqs

It would also seem that depending on the size of card as to which FAT table it uses.

I only found that page myself last night. I noticed no-one else had quoted from it so I assume others may not have seen or tried the solutions. I hope it works because I would dearly love the camera to make better use of the second slot.

My cards were waiting to go out in the mail but hadn't yet gone out. So, I still had them for testing. I downloaded Lexar's SD formatter (version 4) referenced on the page above and formatted two separate cards (changed the option in the formatter program to "full erase" instead of "quick format"). To my complete surprise, I can no longer get the cards to fail. They seem to work perfectly. I am astonished but very pleased! I also reformatted the cards in the camera after testing to see if the reformat caused the problem to return. But, they're still working just fine. But, I wonder why Lexar recommended reformatting my cards on the PC instead of pointing me to their tool.

As a side note, I got to make use of my new D500 today and I'm really enjoying it.

I downloaded Lexar's SD formater and did a full format (overwrite) I did a burst of 10 shots. On image review, I scrolled thru the nef's thru the jpg's several times, and got the same error message. So back to B&H it goes. This is a Lexar 32gb SDHC  UHS-ll, 2000x 300mb/s.

-- hide signature --

Steve
I am very, very easily amused.

Stevequad's gear list:Stevequad's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon Coolpix S51c Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S +24 more
SangYuP Regular Member • Posts: 447

Stevequad wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

Has anybody read the Lexar fault help page? Has anyone tried formatting the cards with the SD 3.0 formatter program as suggested?

The page is here.

It would also seem that depending on the size of card as to which FAT table it uses.

I only found that page myself last night. I noticed no-one else had quoted from it so I assume others may not have seen or tried the solutions. I hope it works because I would dearly love the camera to make better use of the second slot.

My cards were waiting to go out in the mail but hadn't yet gone out. So, I still had them for testing. I downloaded Lexar's SD formatter (version 4) referenced on the page above and formatted two separate cards (changed the option in the formatter program to "full erase" instead of "quick format"). To my complete surprise, I can no longer get the cards to fail. They seem to work perfectly. I am astonished but very pleased! I also reformatted the cards in the camera after testing to see if the reformat caused the problem to return. But, they're still working just fine. But, I wonder why Lexar recommended reformatting my cards on the PC instead of pointing me to their tool.

As a side note, I got to make use of my new D500 today and I'm really enjoying it.

I downloaded Lexar's SD formater and did a full format (overwrite) I did a burst of 10 shots. On image review, I scrolled thru the nef's thru the jpg's several times, and got the same error message. So back to B&H it goes. This is a Lexar 32gb SDHC UHS-ll, 2000x 300mb/s.

Same here. I was hoping that using the Lexar formater was going to fix the error message but it didn't. I think I'll wait a little longer to see if Lexar or Nikon comes out with a fix. At least I have my Lexar xqd card to use in the mean time.

SangYuP's gear list:SangYuP's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +17 more
luxun54 Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Re: Thom Hogan on Lexar & D500 issues

Bill Dewey wrote:

This is the info I will pass along.

Thanks for the info and help, I doubt very much that I will hear anything back, I would recommend watching Thom Hogan's D500 blog for any new info.

Thom's initial post on this subject is here on his D500 blog page.

luxun54's gear list:luxun54's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Thanks Barry and Markus

pxlwz wrote:

pxlwz wrote:

Just out of curiosity: Did you have problems with the Lexar as only card or set to Primary slot?

I shot another 700 shots today with my second set (Lexar 2933 XQD 64GB as primary Slot,Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC set to backup, image review on), and did not have a problem. All Raw 14 bit lossless compressed. Tomorrow I will try my third set, and I am wondering, if it is a specific setting, other than image review, that triggers these errors with Lexar cards.

Markus

I had the Lexar SDXC set to primary.

FWIW, I just tried the following with my third set (I have 3 each Lexar 2933 XQD 64GB and

Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC cards).

-Set SDXC card to primary, XQD card to backup, raw, 14 bit lossless, Image review on, Burst of about 100 shots: Worked perfect.

-Set SDXC card to primary, took XQD card out, raw, 14 bit lossless, Image review on, Burst of about 100 shots: Worked perfect.

-Set SDXC card to primary, took XQD card out, jpeg fine, Image review on, Burst of about 70 shots: Worked perfect.

So far I could not replicate the card error with any of my cards. 1 XQD and SDXC card were bought early January, 2 of each were bought, when they were on sale ($100.- for the XQD and I believe $50 for the SDXC cards.

If the error comes up, I will report back.

Markus

Sure seems like there may be a batch of Lexar SD cards with issues, as it isn't happening with every one.  I'll pass this along.

Thanks again for the help and testing.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

What is not clear, but I thought it might be,

CubeAce wrote:

The page is here.

That this might be some sort of low-level format, but if it was then Lexar should do that initially.  Notice as well that this goes only up to Windows 7, and how few Nikon cameras are listed.

It also would not make sense that we would need to do this, as the cards format in the camera.

So while nice, I have seen this before for others as well, it really should not be needed and if Lexar thought it was both they and Nikon would say so, I think.

Good catch though, and it sure can't hurt.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Thank you VERY much for the detailed info, I am afraid that

lgs6632 wrote:

And a new way to get a card error.....leave the camera alone. I left my D500 turned on, went out for a few hours, came back, looked at the top screen, and it had generated a card error all by itself without any human interaction.

Lexar REALLY doesn't like you very much

Wow, I hope I don't find this when I try to do more thorough testing with my 2 cards tomorrow.

Sincerely, thank you very much for the details.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Re: Thom Hogan on Lexar & D500 issues

luxun54 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

This is the info I will pass along.

Thanks for the info and help, I doubt very much that I will hear anything back, I would recommend watching Thom Hogan's D500 blog for any new info.

Thom's initial post on this subject is here on his D500 blog page.

This is who I am compiling this info for.  Now we have the first I have seen of issues with the Lexar XQD, I have been using mine for a week now with zero issues.  Compilation will go to Thom tomorrow.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Barry Wildlife Photographer New Member • Posts: 12

Stevequad wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

The page is here.

I downloaded Lexar's SD formater and did a full format (overwrite) I did a burst of 10 shots. On image review, I scrolled thru the nef's thru the jpg's several times, and got the same error message. So back to B&H it goes. This is a Lexar 32gb SDHC UHS-ll, 2000x 300mb/s.

I used the "full erase" option instead of the "overwrite" option.

Speedeye New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Lexar XQD in D500 -- same issue

Using the same new LEXAR XQD 64GB 2933x card that had given me multiple errors in my D500, I put the card in my D4, formatted the card in my D4, and shot 700+ pics last night with my D4.  Everything worked perfectly.  Zero issues.

Stevequad
Stevequad Senior Member • Posts: 1,673

Barry, that option was greyed out with the 32gb card.

-- hide signature --

Steve
I am very, very easily amused.

Stevequad's gear list:Stevequad's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon Coolpix S51c Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S +24 more
Richard B99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,221
Re: Now issue with XQD 64Gb 2933

I can confirm that I'm having an issue with the XQD card. Lexar 64Gb 2933 / 440mb/s. Latest and best.

Exactly the same issue as being reported for the SD cards. No issue with write, no corrupted data but problems reading from time to time. It's happened on reviewing images three times in the past two days especially when flicking through images quickly.  I don't have image review on as standard, only when I choose to playback. It is definitely the XQD card as that's reported on the error message on the rear LCD.

I also get it when importing to Lightroom using USB 3.0 cable connection with camera (here it comes up with Card Err on top panel rather than the error msg on the back LCD).  (I've no XQD card reader as they are a bit hard to get hold of and I was holding out until Sony's XQD +SD reader is available. So I can't test if an alternative reader works.) So far switching off and on fixes it and I carry on.

I'm strongly suspecting its Nikon Firmware rather than the cards though because it's on two card types and, slightly less telling, on two different read operations at volume.

chary zp Senior Member • Posts: 1,488
Re: What is not clear, but I thought it might be,

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

The page is here.

That this might be some sort of low-level format, but if it was then Lexar should do that initially. Notice as well that this goes only up to Windows 7, and how few Nikon cameras are listed.

It's almost as if they simply stopped updating the page like six years ago or so...

It also would not make sense that we would need to do this, as the cards format in the camera.

So while nice, I have seen this before for others as well, it really should not be needed and if Lexar thought it was both they and Nikon would say so, I think.

Good catch though, and it sure can't hurt.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
luxun54 Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Re: for me, 2933 XQD = fine, 2000 SD not so much

Richard B99 wrote:

I can confirm that I'm having an issue with the XQD card. Lexar 64Gb 2933 / 440mb/s. Latest and best.

Exactly the same issue as being reported for the SD cards. No issue with write, no corrupted data but problems reading from time to time. It's happened on reviewing images three times in the past two days especially when flicking through images quickly. I don't have image review on as standard, only when I choose to playback. It is definitely the XQD card as that's reported on the error message on the rear LCD.

I also get it when importing to Lightroom using USB 3.0 cable connection with camera (here it comes up with Card Err on top panel rather than the error msg on the back LCD). (I've no XQD card reader as they are a bit hard to get hold of and I was holding out until Sony's XQD +SD reader is available. So I can't test if an alternative reader works.) So far switching off and on fixes it and I carry on.

I'm strongly suspecting its Nikon Firmware rather than the cards though because it's on two card types and, slightly less telling, on two different read operations at volume.

I am also using Lexar 2933x XQD, and have had no card issues at all. I HAVE had Lexar SD issues.

luxun54's gear list:luxun54's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,339

If it's Nikon, then why only Lexar?

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more

Richard B99 wrote:

Exactly the same issue as being reported for the SD cards. No issue with write, no corrupted data but problems reading from time to time. It's happened on reviewing images three times in the past two days especially when flicking through images quickly. I don't have image review on as standard, only when I choose to playback. It is definitely the XQD card as that's reported on the error message on the rear LCD.

I also get it when importing to Lightroom using USB 3.0 cable connection with camera (here it comes up with Card Err on top panel rather than the error msg on the back LCD). (I've no XQD card reader as they are a bit hard to get hold of and I was holding out until Sony's XQD +SD reader is available. So I can't test if an alternative reader works.) So far switching off and on fixes it and I carry on.

Thanks, I am going to pass this along.  I sent my report just a while ago, I will add this, the first time we have heard about tethering.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

A REALLY large favor requiring a bit of trust ....

One thing we have not been able to test yet is if one of these "problem" cards has the same problem in multiple D500 cameras.  I am guessing that no one with a "problem" card has 2 D500s at this time, I am wondering, and here is where the "trust" comes into play, would be willing to send me a problem card to test in my D500?  Or if you have a friend nearby who also has a D500 that you could test with?

This might give us another clue as to Nikon, Lexar or both having issues.

I know you folks don't know me from Adam, but I am an Eagle Boy Scout, that ought to count for something, right?

If you can test on a second D500, let me know as well, that is more info I'd like to pass along.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

jpltjak New Member • Posts: 2
Re: D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

I can report that I am experiencing the same problem with both the Lexar SDXC II 64 GB and Lexar SDHC II 32GB with my D500. The problem appears only when reviewing the images at the back of the camera. I didn't have any problem with my Lexar XQD 64 GB 440 Mb when its the only card installed in the camera. Works fine also when used with regular Sandisk SDXC 64GB in the secondary slot.

I did used both Lexar SDXC II 64 GB and Lexar SDHC II 32GB in my Fuji X-T1 with no problem (which is fully compatible with UHS-II). I experiencing the problem with the Lexar card being used as the primary or the secondary selection. The problem also appears also when the Lexar is used as secondary selection for overflow or for backup.I suspect the problem being with the D500 compatibility with UHS-II.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads