D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

Started Apr 24, 2016 | Discussions
Barry Wildlife Photographer New Member • Posts: 12
Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

I'm having the same problem with the Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC cards and the D500. Two different (brand new) cards have the same issue others are reporting (several shots and then the card is reported as "damaged"). Tried low level format on the PC but that didn't resolve the issue. Turned off image review and the problem seems to have gone away (but I really like to have image review on).  Tried Sandisk SDXC cards and Lexar XQD cards and have no issues with either one.

Spoke to Lexar (who blamed the problem on Nikon). After discussion, they agreed to replace both of my Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC cardsbut I don't have a lot of confidence that the new cards will behave differently.

pxlwz Regular Member • Posts: 395

Just out of curiosity: Did you have problems with the Lexar as only card or set to Primary slot?

I shot another 700 shots today with my second set (Lexar 2933 XQD 64GB as primary Slot,Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC set to backup, image review on), and did not have a problem. All Raw 14 bit lossless compressed. Tomorrow  I will try my third set, and I am wondering, if it is a specific setting, other than image review, that triggers these errors with Lexar cards.

Markus

pxlwz's gear list:pxlwz's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +10 more
Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
My thoughts, and guess, is that

pxlwz wrote:

Just out of curiosity: Did you have problems with the Lexar as only card or set to Primary slot?

I shot another 700 shots today with my second set (Lexar 2933 XQD 64GB as primary Slot,Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC set to backup, image review on), and did not have a problem. All Raw 14 bit lossless compressed. Tomorrow I will try my third set, and I am wondering, if it is a specific setting, other than image review, that triggers these errors with Lexar cards.

Markus

Only the SD card has issues.  The Image Review is most likely coming from your XQD card, what might be interesting is to either reverse the two, make the SD primary, or remove the XQD.  I have not yet had time to do this, prepping for an all day Soccer tournament tomorrow, but hope to get some time on Sunday.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Did they give you any idea when your new cards will arrive?

Barry Wildlife Photographer wrote:

I'm having the same problem with the Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC cards and the D500. Two different (brand new) cards have the same issue others are reporting (several shots and then the card is reported as "damaged"). Tried low level format on the PC but that didn't resolve the issue. Turned off image review and the problem seems to have gone away (but I really like to have image review on). Tried Sandisk SDXC cards and Lexar XQD cards and have no issues with either one.

Spoke to Lexar (who blamed the problem on Nikon). After discussion, they agreed to replace both of my Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC cardsbut I don't have a lot of confidence that the new cards will behave differently.

I am curious to see if the issue persists.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

I am going to compile this info and send it off to - and a favor

someone who may be heard more than we would individually.

If there is anyone who has a card that is consistently failing who would be willing to send it to me for a test, I will get it back to you in a couple of days.  Completely understand if no one wants to do this, not sure I'd trust me either

I have not yet had time, hopefully will on Sunday if I can still move after an all day Soccer tournament tomorrow.  I am not sure if I am hoping I can force mine to fail or not, but I am going to give it a go.

My thoughts at this time are:

1. Problem only with the Lexar UHS-II SD cards, XQD seem to all work fine
  2. No problems reported with either XQD or SD from Sandisk
  3. My guess is a controller issue on the Lexar side, if it was Nikon I would expect that every card would have issues.

This is the info I will pass along.

Thanks for the info and help, I doubt very much that I will hear anything back, I would recommend watching Thom Hogan's D500 blog for any new info.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

pxlwz wrote:

I shot another 700 shots today with my second set (Lexar 2933 XQD 64GB as primary Slot,Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC set to backup, image review on), and did not have a problem. All Raw 14 bit lossless compressed. Tomorrow I will try my third set, and I am wondering, if it is a specific setting, other than image review, that triggers these errors with Lexar cards.

Markus

I had the Lexar SDXC set to primary.

Re: My thoughts, and guess, is that

Bill Dewey wrote:

pxlwz wrote:

Markus

Only the SD card has issues. The Image Review is most likely coming from your XQD card, what might be interesting is to either reverse the two, make the SD primary, or remove the XQD. I have not yet had time to do this, prepping for an all day Soccer tournament tomorrow, but hope to get some time on Sunday.

I had no issue when XQD was primary.  But, if the Lexar SDXC was primary (or only) card, it didn't take long to see the issue.

Re: Did they give you any idea when your new cards will arrive?

Bill Dewey wrote:

I'm having the same problem with the Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC cards and the D500. Two different (brand new) cards have the same issue others are reporting (several shots and then the card is reported as "damaged"). Tried low level format on the PC but that didn't resolve the issue. Turned off image review and the problem seems to have gone away (but I really like to have image review on). Tried Sandisk SDXC cards and Lexar XQD cards and have no issues with either one.

They said the new cards should arrive roughly 2 weeks after they receive my current set of cards.  And, yes, I have to pay the cost of shipping my cards to them.

luxun54 Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Re: Did they give you any idea when your new cards will arrive?

Bill Dewey wrote:

Lexar's standard response with RMA email said "14-21 days." My two cards were shipped back yesterday. I am guessing (hoping?) it will be faster than that.

luxun54's gear list:luxun54's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF
Buck164 New Member • Posts: 3
Re: D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

Also receiving D500 error messages with my Lexar 2000X SD card........put a Sandisk in....no problem.  Hope Nikon recognizes this problem soon, these cards are not cheap!

Speedeye New Member • Posts: 5
Lexar XQD in D500 -- same issue

Bill Dewey wrote:

My thoughts at this time are:

1. Problem only with the Lexar UHS-II SD cards, XQD seem to all work fine

First shoot with my D500 and a brand new Lexar XQD 64GB 2933x card, and I got this error message after 16 shots: "XQD This memory card cannot be used.  Card may be damaged.  Insert another card."

Prior to last night's shoot, card had been formatted in the camera, then I took one shot and popped it into my SONY XQD card reader.  I was able to load the image into LR, so it appeared that everything was fine before the shoot.

I shut the camera off, popped the card out and back in, and continued to shoot 700+ images without further incidents.  Today, I have gotten the error message 2 or 3 times while reviewing images.

I think I'll put the new Lexar XQD card in my faithful D4 tonight for another shoot.  Maybe I'll get a clue whether this is Lexar's issue or Nikon's.

CubeAce Senior Member • Posts: 1,285

Has anybody read the Lexar fault help page? Has anyone tried formatting the cards with the SD 3.0 formatter program as suggested?

The page is here.

http://www.lexar.com/support/sdxc-faqs

It would also seem that depending on the size of card as to which FAT table it uses.

I only found that page myself last night. I noticed no-one else had quoted from it so I assume others may not have seen or tried the solutions. I hope it works because I would dearly love the camera to make better use of the second slot.

CubeAce's gear list:CubeAce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
mishu1968 New Member • Posts: 7

In my manuai at pag 16 is a quote" do not formated the card in a computer".

I have 2 64 gb lexar 2000x card and I put on both around 1200 shots with no problemor error.

I dont know if this help.

lgs6632 Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: A request to those who have problem cards

Would you please respond to this post with the following:

Brand, model, size of card, including type: SD Lexar 64Gb 2000x (two of them)

Do you have Image Review turned on? no, never use image review

Does the error message pop up only when you review an image or when the Image Review displays? It will show up when shooting (no review), when reviewing image, or when snapbridge "auto send" is turned on/off

If the error occurs without review, does the D500 "hang"? yes, shutter is disabled without on/off cycle.

When the error occurs does an off/on or just re-seating the card always clear the problem? So far on/off has worked

Once the camera is "working" again can you then review the image that was taken when the error occurred? The images that were written, but if it happens in a burst then there will usually be one more raw file on the QXD card than .jpg images on the SD card (i write raw on xqd + jpg on SD).

When you transfer files to the computer are all files intact and viewable? Yes, all the files that have been written are intact, no corrupted files

Have you tried to tether the camera and view the images directly on the computer? If so any problems? haven't tired this

How often does this happen? I've shot 640 images with the camera (and it has happened 9 times on two cards 5 on one and 4 on the other)

Can you make it happen "on purpose"? If so, how? Not every time, but around 1 in 3 bursts it did this. I tried with with/without snapbridge auto sending and it failed in both states. The camera also gave me the same error when not shooting and I changed snapbridge autosend "on" to "off". It will fail when it is in concert with an XQD card (writing .jpg to the SD) and it will also fail when it is the only card in the camera. It also occurred when viewing image and trying to zoom.

lgs6632 Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: A request to those who have problem cards

And a new way to get a card error.....leave the camera alone.  I left my D500 turned on, went out for a few hours, came back, looked at the top screen, and it had generated a card error all by itself without any human interaction.

luxun54 Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
I had not seen this... interesting!

CubeAce wrote:

Has anybody read the Lexar fault help page? Has anyone tried formatting the cards with the SD 3.0 formatter program as suggested?

The page is here.

It would also seem that depending on the size of card as to which FAT table it uses.

I only found that page myself last night. I noticed no-one else had quoted from it so I assume others may not have seen or tried the solutions. I hope it works because I would dearly love the camera to make better use of the second slot.

I at least had NOT seen this. And Lexar tech support did not mention this in 4 messages back and forth. The Lexar link provided by CubeAce has very interesting information that could be shed some light on how these SDXC cards actually work, and it could be related to the problem many of us are experiencing. However, it does not explain:

- why this would happen on brand new 64GB 2000x cards that had never been in a computer, card reader, or any other device before the D500? [My case]

- why this same error is also occurring for some people with 32GB 2000x cards that are SDHC? [other reported cases]

I have sent my cards back already, so I can't test them, but I will be interested in others' reports about whether the Lexar SDXC formatting utility provided on the linked page has any impact on the "card damaged" issue?

luxun54's gear list:luxun54's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF
waycott New Member • Posts: 3
Re: I had not seen this... interesting!

Too late for me. I've already got my RMA from Amazon for this Lexar card and I've bought an XQD card instead. Was trying to save a few ducats by getting a fast SD card but it is not worth all this hassle and, more importantly, inability to trust the Lexar card to not lose my images.

waycott's gear list:waycott's gear list
Nikon D500
pxlwz Regular Member • Posts: 395

pxlwz wrote:

Markus

I had the Lexar SDXC set to primary.

FWIW, I just tried the following with my third set (I have 3 each Lexar 2933 XQD 64GB and

Lexar 64GB 2000X SDXC cards).

-Set SDXC card to primary, XQD card to backup, raw, 14 bit lossless, Image review on, Burst of about 100 shots: Worked perfect.

-Set SDXC card to primary, took XQD card out, raw, 14 bit lossless, Image review on, Burst of about 100 shots: Worked perfect.

-Set SDXC card to primary, took XQD card out, jpeg fine, Image review on, Burst of about 70 shots: Worked perfect.

So far I could not replicate the card error with any of my cards. 1 XQD and SDXC card were bought early January, 2 of each were bought, when they were on sale ($100.- for the XQD and I believe $50 for the SDXC cards.

If the error comes up, I will report back.

Markus

pxlwz's gear list:pxlwz's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +10 more
Re: PROBLEM FIXED!!!!

CubeAce wrote:

The page is here.

My cards were waiting to go out in the mail but hadn't yet gone out.  So, I still had them for testing.  I downloaded Lexar's SD formatter (version 4) referenced on the page above and formatted two separate cards (changed the option in the formatter program to "full erase" instead of "quick format").  To my complete surprise, I can no longer get the cards to fail.  They seem to work perfectly.  I am astonished but very pleased!  I also reformatted the cards in the camera after testing to see if the reformat caused the problem to return.  But, they're still working just fine.  But, I wonder why Lexar recommended reformatting my cards on the PC instead of pointing me to their tool.

As a side note, I got to make use of my new D500 today and I'm really enjoying it.

CubeAce Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: PROBLEM FIXED!!!!

CubeAce wrote:

The page is here.

My cards were waiting to go out in the mail but hadn't yet gone out. So, I still had them for testing. I downloaded Lexar's SD formatter (version 4) referenced on the page above and formatted two separate cards (changed the option in the formatter program to "full erase" instead of "quick format"). To my complete surprise, I can no longer get the cards to fail. They seem to work perfectly. I am astonished but very pleased! I also reformatted the cards in the camera after testing to see if the reformat caused the problem to return. But, they're still working just fine. But, I wonder why Lexar recommended reformatting my cards on the PC instead of pointing me to their tool.

As a side note, I got to make use of my new D500 today and I'm really enjoying it.

Wow! thanks for trying it out. That's really useful to know. Maybe other will try. I know I will when my body arrives as I had also bought some SDXC cards ready for it's arrival.

CubeAce's gear list:CubeAce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads