D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

Started Apr 24, 2016 | Discussions
Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Thanks, Ken. Can you try one thing please?

Ken Seals wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

I know you probably have stated this somewhere in the thread, but I'm too lazy to dig through and compile them all

Would you please respond to this post with the following:

Brand, model, size of card, including type. I think they are all Lexar SD, want to be sure

Lexar Professional 1000x SDXC II 54GB two cards, both affected. My SanDisk 32 GB cards are not affected

Do you have Image Review turned on?

Yes

Does the error message pop up only when you review an image or when the Image Review displays?

Both

If the error occurs without review, does the D500 "hang"?

Yes, CD error in lcd

When the error occurs does an off/on or just re-seating the card always clear the problem?

I think so...

Once the camera is "working" again can you then review the image that was taken when the error occurred?

Yes

When you transfer files to the computer are all files intact and viewable?

Yes

Have you tried to tether the camera and view the images directly on the computer? If so any problems?

Have not tried

How often does this happen?

Every 20-30 frames

Can you make it happen "on purpose"? If so, how?

No

Whew, I would really appreciate this, just trying to compile something to see if we have some commonalities.

Thanks.

See if you still have issues if you turn Image Review off?  I suspect you may still have issues when you do a review, I am just curious if the problem will occur on write only.

Thanks, this is great info.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Warpdrv Regular Member • Posts: 172
Re: Well double crap ....

Looks like I won't waste my time pulling the new 64gb Lexar SD card out of the D7000....

My Lexar 64gb XQD works just fine in the D500.

I guess I'll wait until more reports come in to see what a good SD card will be for backup.

Warpdrv's gear list:Warpdrv's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,056
Re: Thanks, Ken. Can you try one thing please?

Bill Dewey wrote:

Ken Seals wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

I know you probably have stated this somewhere in the thread, but I'm too lazy to dig through and compile them all

Brand, model, size of card, including type. I think they are all Lexar SD, want to be sure

Lexar Professional 1000x SDXC II 54GB two cards, both affected. My SanDisk 32 GB cards are not affected

Yes

Does the error message pop up only when you review an image or when the Image Review displays?

Both

Yes, CD error in lcd

When the error occurs does an off/on or just re-seating the card always clear the problem?

I think so...

Once the camera is "working" again can you then review the image that was taken when the error occurred?

Yes

Yes

Have you tried to tether the camera and view the images directly on the computer? If so any problems?

Have not tried

Every 20-30 frames

No

Whew, I would really appreciate this, just trying to compile something to see if we have some commonalities.

Thanks.

See if you still have issues if you turn Image Review off? I suspect you may still have issues when you do a review, I am just curious if the problem will occur on write only.

Apparently no problem on either card with image review off. Shot more than 200 frames on each card with no CD error. Manual image review did not cause the CD error either.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken
Mizzou PJ '66

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Thank you again, this is a great help

Ken Seals wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

Ken Seals wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

Yes

Both

Yes, CD error in lcd

I think so...

Yes

Yes

Have not tried

Every 20-30 frames

No

Thanks.

See if you still have issues if you turn Image Review off? I suspect you may still have issues when you do a review, I am just curious if the problem will occur on write only.

Apparently no problem on either card with image review off. Shot more than 200 frames on each card with no CD error. Manual image review did not cause the CD error either.

Thanks, I will ask others to check this as well.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

One more small test to add please

If you see this problem with Image Review on, please turn Image Review off and see if the problem persists.

See the response from Ken Seals, thanks Ken.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

CubeAce Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: One more small test to add please

So the D500 is trying to read a file from the card that hasn't been fully written yet?

CubeAce's gear list:CubeAce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +4 more

CubeAce wrote:

So the D500 is trying to read a file from the card that hasn't been fully written yet?

Not really quite sure.  If it turns out that the issue disappears when Image Review is turned off on Lexar cards only, so far they seem to be the only reported failures, then I would suspect it to be the controller firmware on the card that is the issue.

At this point in time, tough to really speculate.  I will try this scenario myself to see if I can force a failure.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

I am such a pain, just tought of one more

Does this occur doing single frames or just bursts?

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

iwannabesedated Senior Member • Posts: 1,596

CubeAce wrote:

Possibly. Could be the Lexar UHS-II cards are asserting "write done" signals before the write cycle is actually complete, i.e., a subtle timing issue/race condition. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
luxun54 Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Re: Lexar response UPDATED: sent RMA for returns

luxun54 wrote:

I am having the same problem with two of the 2000x cards (new); I have been back-and-forth with Lexar customer support 3x today, and they have looked at this thread. They are saying "it is a Nikon problem, talk to Nikon."

As an update, after further back-and-forth and referring them to this thread, Lexar has issued an RMA for me to return and replace my two 64GB 2000x SDXC cards.

luxun54's gear list:luxun54's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
iwannabesedated Senior Member • Posts: 1,596
Re: Lexar response UPDATED: sent RMA for returns

luxun54 wrote:

luxun54 wrote:

I am having the same problem with two of the 2000x cards (new); I have been back-and-forth with Lexar customer support 3x today, and they have looked at this thread. They are saying "it is a Nikon problem, talk to Nikon."

As an update, after further back-and-forth and referring them to this thread, Lexar has issued an RMA for me to return and replace my two 64GB 2000x SDXC cards.

And so it begins...

I'll wait a while to see if Lexar comes forward with any serial/lot numbers of affected devices, as they did with some of their 1000x CFs which wouldn't work in the D800. The upside to that fiasco is that they replaced my 1000x CFs with even faster1066x versions. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
Exactly why I would like to collect more specifics on the

iwannabesedated wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

Possibly. Could be the Lexar UHS-II cards are asserting "write done" signals before the write cycle is actually complete, i.e., a subtle timing issue/race condition. -iwbs

Image Review.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Andre Yew Contributing Member • Posts: 681

Bill Dewey wrote:

If you see this problem with Image Review on, please turn Image Review off and see if the problem persists.

I have Image Review off. When it happens, it happens when I press the Image Review button.

Thanks, have you noticed

Andre Yew wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

I have Image Review off. When it happens, it happens when I press the Image Review button.

how often it happens?  Or if it only happens on the last image written?

Thanks for the info.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

pxlwz Regular Member • Posts: 395
Re: D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

I have 3 sets of Lexar XQD2933 64GB and Lexar 2000 SDXC 64GB.

Main card is XQD, SD is set to backup, Image review on. So far 1000 images to the first set of cards, and no problem so far.

Markus

pxlwz's gear list:pxlwz's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,339
Buy Sandisk, they just work

Lexar is problematic with Nikon. Look at the history of D810 and D4s, D7000, other makes. Lexar in the past has bollixed up the controller firmware. Note that other makers product work fine.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
wildlifr
wildlifr Senior Member • Posts: 1,645
Looks like a concensus...

lx200 wrote:

I have tried TWO Lexar 128 GB 1000x SDXC cards.... both give intermittent errors, and at times I get the error that the card is not useable and should be replaced. I have never used these cards in another camera. They were new.

Both were formatted in the D500

I put a 64 GB Sandisk card in.... no issues.

Any ideas ??

...but I'll add one more data point. I got the error with a 2000x 32GB Lexar card on the second image that I took (while trying to review that image).

-- hide signature --

Avid documentarian of evolution.

wildlifr's gear list:wildlifr's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +11 more
Andre Yew Contributing Member • Posts: 681
Re: Thanks, have you noticed

I'm not sure since I stopped using the Lexar cards as soon as they proved unreliable. Maybe 1 in 3 or 4 times?

Joe Farrell Regular Member • Posts: 117
Talked to Lexar again...

After hearing all the issues with the specific cards which I have and fail like others, I called again to Lexar and figured maybe they have a thought or solution. Sadly nothing and they did offer to replace them (128GB 1000x), but they do not know if new ones will be bad like the current ones. I told them I was going to post this note and they asked this:

"For the post, the best way to not overload us would have other people email in the exact issue and numbers from the back of their card to support@lexar.com. That would help us a lot."

They really seemed to care and hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.

In the interim I ordered SanDisk cards to use.

-- hide signature --

Joe

waycott New Member • Posts: 3
Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

Thanks Bill. I'm having the same problem with my new D500 and the new Lexar Pro 64GB 1000X SD card I bought with it. I tried your recommended fix, but no dice. The camera just won't even format it. Any other insights or advice?

waycott's gear list:waycott's gear list
Nikon D500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads