D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

Started Apr 24, 2016 | Discussions
RoyC01
RoyC01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,158
Re: Interesting thought, one way to test might be

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

Another data point. I just tested a Lexar 64GB 2000x (300MB/s) SDXC UHS-II in my D500 (after removing the XQD card). I took a total of 75 shots, some individually, some in bursts of 8 or so. I also did a fair amount of chimping to make sure all the shots were stored okay on the SDXC card.

Results: During the 75 shot test, I didn't experience any problems or get any error messages.

How many shots do others need to take before encountering problems? Regards. -iwbs

Edited to add: I formatted the SDXC card in camera (just once).

Looking up the specs for the Lexar Pro 32gig 2000x it has a slower write speed than the 64 and 128gig cards. Why this should cause a problem with reviewing I don't know unless you are reviewing before the card has finished writing to the card. It shouldn't be possible but if it is trying to read before the image is written that could be a cause.

Wait a few seconds after you get the error message, go out of Image Review, and then see if you can review the image that gave the error. If it is some race condition in the firmware the "wait time" might clear it, but it could also explain why just taking the card out a putting it back in would clear it.

Has anyone had the issue, I don't remember, on anything other than the 32gb cards?

Bill, my Lexar card is a 64gb unit.

Update: Cleaned contacts...did not help

Scanned and formatted on computer...did not help

About every third shot string I get a error message upon green light going out or when I press the review arrow.

Lexar card now retired, SanDisk now card promoted.

RoyC

RoyC01's gear list:RoyC01's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,167
Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

I have a lexar 1000x 128gb SDXC II - so far ( a few dozen shots ) it's working fine.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

Yukon Ranger Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: D500 Problem Lexar 64GB 2000x

Don't panic, you are just a new recruit in Nikon's beta testing team, everything will get fixed.

...eventually.

March release huh. Everyone remember that announcement?

pffff

Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
That screws the theory of

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

Another data point. I just tested a Lexar 64GB 2000x (300MB/s) SDXC UHS-II in my D500 (after removing the XQD card). I took a total of 75 shots, some individually, some in bursts of 8 or so. I also did a fair amount of chimping to make sure all the shots were stored okay on the SDXC card.

Results: During the 75 shot test, I didn't experience any problems or get any error messages.

How many shots do others need to take before encountering problems? Regards. -iwbs

Looking up the specs for the Lexar Pro 32gig 2000x it has a slower write speed than the 64 and 128gig cards. Why this should cause a problem with reviewing I don't know unless you are reviewing before the card has finished writing to the card. It shouldn't be possible but if it is trying to read before the image is written that could be a cause.

Wait a few seconds after you get the error message, go out of Image Review, and then see if you can review the image that gave the error. If it is some race condition in the firmware the "wait time" might clear it, but it could also explain why just taking the card out a putting it back in would clear it.

Has anyone had the issue, I don't remember, on anything other than the 32gb cards?

About every third shot string I get a error message upon green light going out or when I press the review arrow.

RoyC

slower 32GB write.  Darn.

So you get the error message even when you are not reviewing?

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

RoyC01
Re: That screws the theory of

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

RoyC

slower 32GB write. Darn.

Yep.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
Well double crap ....

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

RoyC

slower 32GB write. Darn.

Yep.

Did the camera just stop when that happened?

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

luxun54 Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Re: Well double crap ....

OK, finally have a chance to get back to a computer and reply. As noted earlier in the thread, I am having the same problem/experience as other users of the Lexar 64GB 2000x SD cards. I can confirm or answer a couple of questions that have been posed:

• doing a full format in the computer does NOT fix the problem;
  • the camera will shoot fine for a (varying) number of images, then error appears happens immediately after shooting a photo (I have image review ON), sometimes individual, sometimes burst;
  • the camera stops working when the error appears;
  • the error clears by either turning the camera off and one, or sometimes you have to remove the SD card;
  • no images are lost
 luxun54's gear list:luxun54's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Always happen AFTER the image review pops up

luxun54 wrote:

OK, finally have a chance to get back to a computer and reply. As noted earlier in the thread, I am having the same problem/experience as other users of the Lexar 64GB 2000x SD cards. I can confirm or answer a couple of questions that have been posed:

• doing a full format in the computer does NOT fix the problem;
  • the camera will shoot fine for a (varying) number of images, then error appears happens immediately after shooting a photo (I have image review ON), sometimes individual, sometimes burst;
  • the camera stops working when the error appears;
  • the error clears by either turning the camera off and one, or sometimes you have to remove the SD card;
  • no images are lost

Correct?  Just trying to figure out if the problem seems related to only the Read operation.  Could you see if you and problems If you turn Image Review off?  This is the kind of thing I could see if the card is having some issues with trying to display an image before it is completely written.

Roy, do you have Image Review on as well?

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

RoyC01

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

RoyC

slower 32GB write. Darn.

Yep.

With the exception of the "OFF" switch working, yes stopped.

Do you want a deal on a very slightly used, truly as new, Lexar SD UHS-II card. 

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

RoyC

slower 32GB write. Darn.

Yep.

It is sounding to me like Lexar should be giving you a refund, or Nikon if they certify the cards.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

CubeAce Senior Member • Posts: 1,285

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

RoyC

slower 32GB write. Darn.

Yep.

It is sounding to me like Lexar should be giving you a refund, or Nikon if they certify the cards.

But Nikon have not certified this card at that size. They seem size specific for different card transfer rates and the only 1000x cards sizes quoted by Nikon are 8, 16, 32, and 64 gig. The 128gig card in that spec is not listed. As with the 2000x cards at 32gig and below are not listed. It would seem that for the moment at least the D500 is very fussy with both cards and batteries.

CubeAce's gear list:CubeAce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +4 more
I think it is too soon to say Nikon is "fussy"

CubeAce wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

RoyC

slower 32GB write. Darn.

Yep.

But Nikon have not certified this card at that size. They seem size specific for different card transfer rates and the only 1000x cards sizes quoted by Nikon are 8, 16, 32, and 64 gig. The 128gig card in that spec is not listed. As with the 2000x cards at 32gig and below are not listed. It would seem that for the moment at least the D500 is very fussy with both cards and batteries.

The times I have seen this has been because the card manufacturers had controller issues, Nikon was following the spec.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

oldbaldeagle Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: I think it is too soon to say Nikon is "fussy"

Just tried my lexar 64gb . Following full format in computer and reformat in camera I managed about 70 shots and then camera showed fault indication with card .Have just downloaded the pics so it recorded ok but ? Corrupt FAT ? I'll reformat and try again.

oldbaldeagle's gear list:oldbaldeagle's gear list
Nikon D850
CubeAce Senior Member • Posts: 1,285

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

RoyC

slower 32GB write. Darn.

Yep.

But Nikon have not certified this card at that size. They seem size specific for different card transfer rates and the only 1000x cards sizes quoted by Nikon are 8, 16, 32, and 64 gig. The 128gig card in that spec is not listed. As with the 2000x cards at 32gig and below are not listed. It would seem that for the moment at least the D500 is very fussy with both cards and batteries.

The times I have seen this has been because the card manufacturers had controller issues, Nikon was following the spec.

In the past I've stuck religiously to SanDisk memory cards and never had problems in any camera. I've reluctantly bought a Lexar XQD card ready for the arrival of my body but purely because I couldn't at the time find a Sony card. At least the Lexar SQD cards have similar read write speeds.

CubeAce's gear list:CubeAce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +4 more
A request to those who have problem cards

I know you probably have stated this somewhere in the thread, but I'm too lazy to dig through and compile them all

Would you please respond to this post with the following:

Brand, model, size of card, including type.  I think they are all Lexar SD, want to be sure

Do you have Image Review turned on?

Does the error message pop up only when you review an image or when the Image Review displays?

If the error occurs without review, does the D500 "hang"?

When the error occurs does an off/on or just re-seating the card always clear the problem?

Once the camera is "working" again can you then review the image that was taken when the error occurred?

When you transfer files to the computer are all files intact and viewable?

Have you tried to tether the camera and view the images directly on the computer?  If so any problems?

How often does this happen?

Can you make it happen "on purpose"?  If so, how?

Whew, I would really appreciate this, just trying to compile something to see if we have some commonalities.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

CubeAce wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

RoyC

slower 32GB write. Darn.

Yep.

In the past I've stuck religiously to SanDisk memory cards and never had problems in any camera. I've reluctantly bought a Lexar XQD card ready for the arrival of my body but purely because I couldn't at the time find a Sony card. At least the Lexar SQD cards have similar read write speeds.

I have been using, as my primary card the past week, a Lexar 64GB XQD.  Not a problem at all so far with the XQD.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,060

I'm having the exactly the same issues described by luxun54.

My cards are the 64GB Lexar Professional 150 MB/s 1000X SDXC II, which have worked flawlessly in D810 and Panasonic video cameras for at least a year. I have filled these cards with video and stills many times.

My new Lexar XQD card works fine in the D500. I also have not experienced any problem with SanDisk 32GB SD cards.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken
Mizzou PJ '66

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more

Ken Seals wrote:

My cards are the 64GB Lexar Professional 150 MB/s 1000X SDXC II, which have worked flawlessly in D810 and Panasonic video cameras for at least a year. I have filled these cards with video and stills many times.

My new Lexar XQD card works fine in the D500. I also have not experienced any problem with SanDisk 32GB SD cards.

The D500/D5 are, I believe, the first to use the new UHS-II standard.  I will check the D810 to be sure.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Ken Seals
Re: A request to those who have problem cards

Bill Dewey wrote:

I know you probably have stated this somewhere in the thread, but I'm too lazy to dig through and compile them all

Would you please respond to this post with the following:

Brand, model, size of card, including type. I think they are all Lexar SD, want to be sure

Lexar Professional 1000x SDXC II 54GB two cards, both affected. My SanDisk 32 GB cards are not affected

Do you have Image Review turned on?

Yes

Does the error message pop up only when you review an image or when the Image Review displays?

Both

If the error occurs without review, does the D500 "hang"?

Yes, CD error in lcd

When the error occurs does an off/on or just re-seating the card always clear the problem?

I think so...

Once the camera is "working" again can you then review the image that was taken when the error occurred?

Yes

When you transfer files to the computer are all files intact and viewable?

Yes

Have you tried to tether the camera and view the images directly on the computer? If so any problems?

Have not tried

How often does this happen?

Every 20-30 frames

Can you make it happen "on purpose"? If so, how?

No

Whew, I would really appreciate this, just trying to compile something to see if we have some commonalities.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken
Mizzou PJ '66

Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Ken Seals

Bill Dewey wrote:

Ken Seals wrote:

The D500/D5 are, I believe, the first to use the new UHS-II standard. I will check the D810 to be sure.

Thanks,

D810 manual says UHS 1

My SanDisk SD cards are all UHS 1

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken
Mizzou PJ '66

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads