D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

Started Apr 24, 2016 | Discussions
CurtG
CurtG Contributing Member • Posts: 524
Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....
1

Yes, happened a couple times for me on image review.  Have since done full format on PC and reformat twice in camera.  OK so far, but very little chance to tax it yet.  Will test over noon hour.  Starting to sound like a read issue.

-- hide signature --
 CurtG's gear list:CurtG's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more
Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Keeping my fingers crossed and see the other thread

Stevequad wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

So, here is the first thing I would try to do.

  1. Put the card in your card reader, right click on the drive and select Properties
  2. Select the Tools Tab and then Error checking. Select the option to let the system scan and repair the drive. This will find and fix sector errors.
  3. When complete, right click on the drive again and select Format
  4. Be sure that the box Quick Format is NOT checked, you need to perform a Full Format, the camera only does a Quick Format which just clears the FAT, but does nothing more.
  5. When complete, put the card in your camera and do a format

If this does not fix the issue, then contact the manufacturer for a replacement card. Both Kingston and Transcend have done this for me. If Lexar won't, then I don't think they stand by their product. Are these the new UHS-II cards? I have the Lexar 2933x UHS-II cards that work just fine. The issue that I had with both the Transcend and the Kingston was cards that did not follow the controller spec, when Nikon did.

Let's hope that the Repair and Full Format clear the issue, that is the easiest solution.

Can you post the exact Lexar card model please?

Bill, I did as you recommended, and took a series of about 20 shots. So far so good.
The Card is Lexar Professional, 32GB, SDHC UHS-ll, 2000x. Thanks for the help. If it pops up again, I will inform you. I will hold off writing to lexar for now.

The Other Thread Here, which I just noticed you have found but I'll leave here for completeness.  Great info in both.

I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed, just like Microsoft telling people to "re-format disks", sometimes this is what is needed, to clean up all the linkages and stuff on the drive having issues.

RoyC01 noted that he gets this regularly on Review only, never on a write.  Has this been your experience as well?  Never had it "stop in the middle" trying to write a file?

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

Stevequad wrote:

Well, it did it again. It seems to only do in on image review. Is that when others have seen this err pop up?

Darn, I should have read this first, you answered my question.  So a follow-up.  Can you keep writing to the card and then find all the files when you transfer, including the one that gave the error when you did the review?  This would be good info for both Lexar and Nikon.

As I noted elsewhere I am going to try to do a "fill the card write" from my computer tonight and then see if I can review on both the computer and the camera.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

scubajunkie
scubajunkie Regular Member • Posts: 143
Is it just the SD cards?

I think some clarification is needed here.  It is just the SD cards that people are having issues with, yes?  Or are some having issues with XQD cards as well?  Not everyone has been specifying which type of card they were using.

-- hide signature --

sj

 scubajunkie's gear list:scubajunkie's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +4 more
Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Good question, I have only heard of

scubajunkie wrote:

I think some clarification is needed here. It is just the SD cards that people are having issues with, yes? Or are some having issues with XQD cards as well? Not everyone has been specifying which type of card they were using.

issues with the 2000x SD.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

RoyC01
RoyC01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,158
Re: Lexar XQD 2.0 64Gb 210Mb/sec in D500 is extremely fast...

StanyBuyle wrote:

I got a Lexar XQD 2.0 64Gb 210Mb/sec as a loaner in my D500. Extremely fast as well in camera as for file transfer to my computer.
Lexar XQD 2.0 128 Gb 440Mb/sec will arrive tomorrow.

Perhaps the second generation Lexar XQD (2.0) cards solved some compatibility problems the first generation had.

Kindest regards,

Stany

Stany, the issue is with the Lexar SD UHS-II cards NOT any XQD card.

lx200 wrote:

I have tried TWO Lexar 128 GB 1000x SDXC cards.... both give intermittent errors, and at times I get the error that the card is not useable and should be replaced. I have never used these cards in another camera. They were new.

Both were formatted in the D500

I put a 64 GB Sandisk card in.... no issues.

Any ideas ??

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.

 RoyC01's gear list:RoyC01's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
Andre Yew Contributing Member • Posts: 687
Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

That's when I see mine: on image review after less than 10 shots. My D500 has also crashed once with the Lexar card --- I had to remove the battery to bring back the camera. I'm not sure if that's related.

Meanwhile I've shot a couple hundred on a Sandisk 95MB/sec Extreme Pro card with no problems with the usual amount chimping. The Sandisk is not UHS-II though, while the 1000x Lexar has the 2nd set of contacts for UHS-II. Maybe it's a UHS-II issue?

Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

Andre Yew wrote:

That's when I see mine: on image review after less than 10 shots. My D500 has also crashed once with the Lexar card --- I had to remove the battery to bring back the camera. I'm not sure if that's related.

Meanwhile I've shot a couple hundred on a Sandisk 95MB/sec Extreme Pro card with no problems with the usual amount chimping. The Sandisk is not UHS-II though, while the 1000x Lexar has the 2nd set of contacts for UHS-II. Maybe it's a UHS-II issue?

After you see this occur on review, can you continue to shoot to the card?  If so do all the reviews attempts from that point fail?  If you can still write to the card, are all files intact when you transfer to your pc?

This is all great info, I have net heard of anyone where the camera "hung up" other than your one instance.

UHS-II is fairly new, so that could always cause an issue with newer card/newer camera combinations.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

CubeAce Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

iwannabesedated wrote:

Another data point. I just tested a Lexar 64GB 2000x (300MB/s) SDXC UHS-II in my D500 (after removing the XQD card). I took a total of 75 shots, some individually, some in bursts of 8 or so. I also did a fair amount of chimping to make sure all the shots were stored okay on the SDXC card.

Results: During the 75 shot test, I didn't experience any problems or get any error messages.

How many shots do others need to take before encountering problems? Regards. -iwbs

Edited to add: I formatted the SDXC card in camera (just once).

Looking up the specs for the Lexar Pro 32gig 2000x it has a slower write speed than the 64 and 128gig cards. Why this should cause a problem with reviewing I don't know unless you are reviewing before the card has finished writing to the card. It shouldn't be possible but if it is trying to read before the image is written that could be a cause.

 CubeAce's gear list:CubeAce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +4 more
Micloi Regular Member • Posts: 419
Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

Shot just over 150 photos with a 2933x saving RAW and a 1000x saving JPG (secondary) without any errors.

calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,794
Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

I always do a full format of a new card and I always do a format in each camera as well. A quick format clears the FAT which is already clear and so accomplishes nothing.  The format process in the camera also only clears the FAT and creates a folder for the image files and nothing more.

The full format is one way to try to detect any bad sectors or a corrupted FAT area in a new card. I would not expect that the card manufacturers would take the additional time  and expense involved to format every memory card they produce before shipping it out.

-- hide signature --

“We can have huge wealth in the hands of a relatively few people or we can have a democracy. But we can’t have both.” Supreme Court judge Louis Brandeis

Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Interesting thought, one way to test might be

CubeAce wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

Another data point. I just tested a Lexar 64GB 2000x (300MB/s) SDXC UHS-II in my D500 (after removing the XQD card). I took a total of 75 shots, some individually, some in bursts of 8 or so. I also did a fair amount of chimping to make sure all the shots were stored okay on the SDXC card.

Results: During the 75 shot test, I didn't experience any problems or get any error messages.

How many shots do others need to take before encountering problems? Regards. -iwbs

Edited to add: I formatted the SDXC card in camera (just once).

Looking up the specs for the Lexar Pro 32gig 2000x it has a slower write speed than the 64 and 128gig cards. Why this should cause a problem with reviewing I don't know unless you are reviewing before the card has finished writing to the card. It shouldn't be possible but if it is trying to read before the image is written that could be a cause.

Wait a few seconds after you get the error message, go out of Image Review, and then see if you can review the image that gave the error.  If it is some race condition in the firmware the "wait time" might clear it, but it could also explain why just taking the card out a putting it back in would clear it.

Has anyone had the issue, I don't remember, on anything other than the 32gb cards?

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Absolutely. I even go so far as to

calson wrote:

I always do a full format of a new card and I always do a format in each camera as well. A quick format clears the FAT which is already clear and so accomplishes nothing. The format process in the camera also only clears the FAT and creates a folder for the image files and nothing more.

The full format is one way to try to detect any bad sectors or a corrupted FAT area in a new card. I would not expect that the card manufacturers would take the additional time and expense involved to format every memory card they produce before shipping it out.

Do an error check and full format on all the cards I use.  I should be more disciplined as the how I schedule this, but I just do ti as I think about it.

Good points.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Writing vs. Reading - a question to those who have seen this occur

Micloi wrote:

Shot just over 150 photos with a 2933x saving RAW and a 1000x saving JPG (secondary) without any errors.

It seems that the issue is related to Image Review.  Have people only seen this on the last image taken, or just reviewing images in general?

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Andre Yew Contributing Member • Posts: 687
Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

Bill Dewey wrote:

After you see this occur on review, can you continue to shoot to the card? If so do all the reviews attempts from that point fail? If you can still write to the card, are all files intact when you transfer to your pc?

The files are intact, and the camera will recognize the card again after I remove it from the camera and put it back in. It seems to happen only when I view the files on the camera. Shooting probably doesn't cause the problem, but I didn't try to confirm that, because I'd moved on to the Sandisk.

Micloi Regular Member • Posts: 419
Re: Writing vs. Reading - a question to those who have seen this occur

Bill Dewey wrote:

Micloi wrote:

Shot just over 150 photos with a 2933x saving RAW and a 1000x saving JPG (secondary) without any errors.

It seems that the issue is related to Image Review. Have people only seen this on the last image taken, or just reviewing images in general?

I just reviewed all the images having only the SD card inside without errors.

If this happens only when shooting then I do not know.

At least it won't affect anyone using the SD card as the secondary one until Nikon figures it out.

Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
That is at least some good news

Andre Yew wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

After you see this occur on review, can you continue to shoot to the card? If so do all the reviews attempts from that point fail? If you can still write to the card, are all files intact when you transfer to your pc?

The files are intact, and the camera will recognize the card again after I remove it from the camera and put it back in. It seems to happen only when I view the files on the camera. Shooting probably doesn't cause the problem, but I didn't try to confirm that, because I'd moved on to the Sandisk.

that no files are lost.  If this happens again, can you see if waiting a few seconds after the error clears it without having to take the card out?

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Re: Writing vs. Reading - a question to those who have seen this occur

Micloi wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

Micloi wrote:

Shot just over 150 photos with a 2933x saving RAW and a 1000x saving JPG (secondary) without any errors.

It seems that the issue is related to Image Review. Have people only seen this on the last image taken, or just reviewing images in general?

I just reviewed all the images having only the SD card inside without errors.

If this happens only when shooting then I do not know.

At least it won't affect anyone using the SD card as the secondary one until Nikon figures it out.

I think if it happened when shooting you would know, as the camera would probably stop with an error and files would be missing.

Not sure yet if this is a Nikon problem.  If it only happens on Lexar, and not others like SanDisk, it is hard to think it is Nikon and not the card manufacturer.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Stevequad
Stevequad Senior Member • Posts: 1,673
Re: Writing vs. Reading - a question to those who have seen this occur

FWIW...I had only 1 image on the SD card, no  xqd in. The image would review, then again a couple of times, then got the error. Turn off and on to clear error, and was able to review a couple of times, then error.

-- hide signature --

Steve
I am very, very easily amused.

 Stevequad's gear list:Stevequad's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon Coolpix S51c Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S +24 more
Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Re: Writing vs. Reading - a question to those who have seen this occur

Stevequad wrote:

FWIW...I had only 1 image on the SD card, no xqd in. The image would review, then again a couple of times, then got the error. Turn off and on to clear error, and was able to review a couple of times, then error.

Thanks, Steve, I am going to try this exactly as you have described tonight with both my Lexar cards.

It will be nice of this is just some race condition in the Lexar firmware rather than a Nikon issue.  I may have to acquire a SanDisk UHS-II SD to compare.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads