D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

Started Apr 24, 2016 | Discussions
luxun54 Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Re: Lexar response - "Talk to Nikon!"

RoyC01 wrote:

lx200 wrote:

Hey, maybe this is our chance to send our Nikons back in and get a little black dot in the tripod socket.

The 1000x cards don't work in my D500. Got out my Nikon D810, they work fine in there. Also work in my Sony A6300. My guess is that Nikon screwed the pooch again.

Is not Lexar giving the same comment as when the D810 came out and some Lexar CF cards would not work in it. Then a few days later, Lexar started replacing those cards for free.

BTW, has anyone seen a post where a SanDisk or other band of UHS-II card is NOT working in a D500?

To be fair, in  their latest email, Lexar has offered to replace my cards. But because it is TWO cards, not just one, where this is happening, it does seem more likely to me that there is a camera firmware issue of some kind rather than that I randomly got two defective 2000x cards (from two different sellers!).

luxun54's gear list:luxun54's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF
RoyC01
RoyC01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

luxun54 wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

lx200 wrote:

Hey, maybe this is our chance to send our Nikons back in and get a little black dot in the tripod socket.

The 1000x cards don't work in my D500. Got out my Nikon D810, they work fine in there. Also work in my Sony A6300. My guess is that Nikon screwed the pooch again.

Is not Lexar giving the same comment as when the D810 came out and some Lexar CF cards would not work in it. Then a few days later, Lexar started replacing those cards for free.

BTW, has anyone seen a post where a SanDisk or other band of UHS-II card is NOT working in a D500?

To be fair, in their latest email, Lexar has offered to replace my cards. But because it is TWO cards, not just one, where this is happening, it does seem more likely to me that there is a camera firmware issue of some kind rather than that I randomly got two defective 2000x cards (from two different sellers!).

Please define a little better what you mean by two cards. Two Lexar cards? Or one Lexar card and one of a different brand?

RoyC01's gear list:RoyC01's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +7 more

RoyC01 wrote:

luxun54 wrote:

To be fair, in their latest email, Lexar has offered to replace my cards. But because it is TWO cards, not just one, where this is happening, it does seem more likely to me that there is a camera firmware issue of some kind rather than that I randomly got two defective 2000x cards (from two different sellers!).

Please define a little better what you mean by two cards. Two Lexar cards? Or one Lexar card and one of a different brand?

Sorry for any confusion, as I said more clearly in first post in this thread earlier, I have TWO new Lexar 2000x 64GB SD cards, purchased separately from two different Amazon sellers, and both are getting the "damaged card" error, erratically, yet both seem to go back to working, and images are not lost, then error recurs.

Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF
Photos Of Our Planet Regular Member • Posts: 182
I have 4 of the Lexar 64GB 2000x SD cards, and...

... my D500 cameras (yes plural) will be here tomorrow. I will test them all, and report back. I have had the cards for a while. All purchased from Amazon. Here's hoping they will take them back if need be.

Even though it appears to possibly be an issue with the D500, no one with Sandisk cards is replying with any issues. So it may be a Lexar issue instead.

RoyC01
Re: I have 4 of the Lexar 64GB 2000x SD cards, and...

Photos Of Our Planet wrote:

, no one with Sandisk cards is replying with any issues. So it may be a Lexar issue instead.

Which is my point. If only Lexar cards are having the problem, is it not only a Lexar problem.

Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +7 more
jhde Junior Member • Posts: 37

Just got my D500 and my Lexar 64MB 2000x SD card does not work. Same issue, works a time or two then gives an error message.

jhde's gear list:jhde's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 +11 more
jhde Junior Member • Posts: 37

jhde wrote:

Just got my D500 and my Lexar 64MB 2000x SD card does not work. Same issue, works a time or two then gives an error message.

Typed too fast: 64GB, not 64MB.

jhde's gear list:jhde's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 +11 more
Andre Yew Contributing Member • Posts: 687

I just got a D500 from LensRentals, and am seeing the same problem on a 1000x Lexar 64GB SD card (no card in the XQD slot). It's intermittent, but unreliable enough that I can't trust that card in the camera. Card worked fine on a D5500 and D810, and was formatted on the D500.

I'm not sure this is related, but my D500 also froze up once when I pressed the Play button to look at images on the card. I had to remove the battery to revive the camera.

Photos Of Our Planet Regular Member • Posts: 182
All mine work fine, so far...

Just got my D500 pair yesterday. Shot both with 2933x XQD and 2000x SD Lexar installed together with no issues. Only about 20 shots on each. Will get in some real shooting later in the next few days and report back.

FWIW I formatted both cards twice in each body they were installed before use. Also, all my cards were bought from Amazon when they had those great sales. I see the XQD sale price I paid is now the normal price.

Joe Farrell Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: All mine work fine, so far...

I have two of the Lexar Professional 128 GB 1000x cards and get the same random errors.  Called Lexar and said to call Nikon.  Lexar acknowledges no issue with card.  Called Nikon and first rep said they were not compatible and referred me to the compatibility page in the manual and when I pointed out that was for XQD cards he said, hmmm. Called back and young lady said they have no clue as to what cards are compatible.  Just try something else.

She said they would let me know when they know.  Right!!!

Just wanted to give you my report.

Joe

-- hide signature --

Joe

sinbad Regular Member • Posts: 397

luxun54 wrote:

RoyC01 wrote:

lx200 wrote:

For what its worth, the Lexar 1000 and 2000 uhs-3 cards perform flawlessly in my D750, D7000, and Fuji X-T1(which does utilize the enhanced read write performance of uhs-3 cards. Agree that it is likely a Nikon firmware problem specific to the D500.

RoyC01

sinbad wrote:

For what its worth, the Lexar 1000 and 2000 uhs-3 cards perform flawlessly in my D750, D7000, and Fuji X-T1(which does utilize the enhanced read write performance of uhs-3 cards. Agree that it is likely a Nikon firmware problem specific to the D500.

Except, I picked up a SanDisk UHS-II card today and it works great.  No issues what so ever with the SanDisk card.  Starting to think this not so much a Nikon thing as a Lexar thing.  Anyone having a problem with a UHS-II SD card that is NOT a Lexar?

Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

Remember that all of these cards are no different than any other disk drive you have on your computer in how they function.  In 16 years I have seen:

1 physical card failure

2 instances of controller firmware where it was obvious that specs were not followed, reported to manufacturer, a couple months later controller firmware was fixed

a bunch of intermittent card failures, these are all the ones that are fixable, as generally that are FAT or sector issues on the cards

So, here is the first thing I would try to do.

1. Put the card in your card reader, right click on the drive and select Properties
  2. Select the Tools Tab and then Error checking.  Select the option to let the system scan and repair the drive.  This will find and fix sector errors.
  3. When complete, right click on the drive again and select Format
  4. Be sure that the box Quick Format is NOT checked, you need to perform a Full Format, the camera only does a Quick Format which just clears the FAT, but does nothing more.
  5. When complete, put the card in your camera and do a format

If this does not fix the issue, then contact the manufacturer for a replacement card.  Both Kingston and Transcend have done this for me.  If Lexar won't, then I don't think they stand by their product.  Are these the new UHS-II cards?  I have the Lexar 2933x UHS-II cards that work just fine.  The issue that I had with both the Transcend and the Kingston was cards that did not follow the controller spec, when Nikon did.

Let's hope that the Repair and Full Format clear the issue, that is the easiest solution.

Can you post the exact Lexar card model please?

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Re: My recommendation whereever I see issues like this ....

Bill Dewey wrote:

Are these the new UHS-II cards? I have the Lexar 2933x UHS-II cards that work just fine. The issue that I had with both the Transcend and the Kingston was cards that did not follow the controller spec, when Nikon did.

Let's hope that the Repair and Full Format clear the issue, that is the easiest solution.

Hi Bill -- My two cards are both Lexar 2000x 64GB UHS-II SDXC cards that are both showing these intermittent and recurring "card damaged" errors. I have tried a computer format, and that did not help; I am not sure whether the "Quick Format" box was checked, will try again. Lexar has already said I can send the cards in.

Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911

luxun54 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

Are these the new UHS-II cards? I have the Lexar 2933x UHS-II cards that work just fine. The issue that I had with both the Transcend and the Kingston was cards that did not follow the controller spec, when Nikon did.

Hi Bill -- My two cards are both Lexar 2000x 64GB UHS-II SDXC cards that are both showing these intermittent and recurring "card damaged" errors. I have tried a computer format, and that did not help; I am not sure whether the "Quick Format" box was checked, will try again. Lexar has already said I can send the cards in.

I was incorrect in my first post, my XQD is 2933x, the Lexars I have are the 2000x.  Another fellow just posted the same issue.  I have not had issues at this time, just shot 64 images with the XQD out with no trouble, but that is a small test.  I am using the XQD as Primary.  My first testing on Thursday I was writing NEF to XQD and JPG to SD, with no problems.

How frequent does this happen?  If you take the card out and put it back in, or turn the camera off/on, does that clear the issue for awhile?

Have you tried the steps I outlined?

One last thing that I mentioned in the other thread is to ask Lexar how to validate that we don't have counterfeit cards.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Bill Dewey wrote:

luxun54 wrote:

Bill Dewey wrote:

I was incorrect in my first post, my XQD is 2933x, the Lexars I have are the 2000x. Another fellow just posted the same issue. I have not had issues at this time, just shot 64 images with the XQD out with no trouble, but that is a small test. I am using the XQD as Primary. My first testing on Thursday I was writing NEF to XQD and JPG to SD, with no problems.

How frequent does this happen? If you take the card out and put it back in, or turn the camera off/on, does that clear the issue for awhile?

Have you tried the steps I outlined?

One last thing that I mentioned in the other thread is to ask Lexar how to validate that we don't have counterfeit cards.

Bill, I  just did a FULL format on card #1 (The Quick Format box HAD been checked previously, so thank you for being explicit about this.) I shot a few quick test shots and error did not recur yet. I will test more extensively in the morning and will report back, but in the meantime others further west and still awake may want to try this. Thanks!!

iwannabesedated Senior Member • Posts: 1,596
Re: D500 Problem Lexar 128 GB 1000x

Another data point. I just tested a Lexar 64GB 2000x (300MB/s) SDXC UHS-II in my D500 (after removing the XQD card). I took a total of 75 shots, some individually, some in bursts of 8 or so. I also did a fair amount of chimping to make sure all the shots were stored okay on the SDXC card.

Results: During the 75 shot test, I didn't experience any problems or get any error messages.

How many shots do others need to take before encountering problems? Regards. -iwbs

Edited to add: I formatted the SDXC card in camera (just once).

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon D850
StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,350
Lexar XQD 2.0 64Gb 210Mb/sec in D500 is extremely fast...

I got a Lexar XQD 2.0 64Gb 210Mb/sec as a loaner in my D500. Extremely fast as well in camera as for file transfer to my computer.
Lexar XQD 2.0 128 Gb 440Mb/sec will arrive tomorrow.

Perhaps the second generation Lexar XQD (2.0) cards solved some compatibility problems the first generation had.

Kindest regards,

Stany

lx200 wrote:

I have tried TWO Lexar 128 GB 1000x SDXC cards.... both give intermittent errors, and at times I get the error that the card is not useable and should be replaced. I have never used these cards in another camera. They were new.

Both were formatted in the D500

I put a 64 GB Sandisk card in.... no issues.

Any ideas ??

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.

StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D1X Nikon D2H Nikon D2X Nikon D1 +1 more
Stevequad
Stevequad Senior Member • Posts: 1,673

Bill Dewey wrote:

So, here is the first thing I would try to do.

1. Put the card in your card reader, right click on the drive and select Properties
  2. Select the Tools Tab and then Error checking. Select the option to let the system scan and repair the drive. This will find and fix sector errors.
  3. When complete, right click on the drive again and select Format
  4. Be sure that the box Quick Format is NOT checked, you need to perform a Full Format, the camera only does a Quick Format which just clears the FAT, but does nothing more.
  5. When complete, put the card in your camera and do a format

If this does not fix the issue, then contact the manufacturer for a replacement card. Both Kingston and Transcend have done this for me. If Lexar won't, then I don't think they stand by their product. Are these the new UHS-II cards? I have the Lexar 2933x UHS-II cards that work just fine. The issue that I had with both the Transcend and the Kingston was cards that did not follow the controller spec, when Nikon did.

Bill, I did as you recommended, and took a series of about 20 shots. So far so good.
The Card is Lexar Professional, 32GB, SDHC UHS-ll, 2000x. Thanks for the help. If it pops up again, I will inform you. I will hold off writing to lexar for now.

-- hide signature --

Steve
I am very, very easily amused.

Stevequad's gear list:Stevequad's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S51c Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D3S Nikon D300 Nikon D100 +24 more
Stevequad
Stevequad Senior Member • Posts: 1,673

Well, it did it again. It seems to only do in on image review. Is that when others have seen this err pop up?

-- hide signature --

Steve
I am very, very easily amused.

Stevequad's gear list:Stevequad's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S51c Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D3S Nikon D300 Nikon D100 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads