Sigma MC-11 Adapter Shipping!

Started Apr 22, 2016 | Discussions
John G Moore
John G Moore Forum Member • Posts: 85
Latest

I will spend more time over the weekend testing my MC-11's. I've found a few quirks already. I need to investigate further. Stay tuned.

Phamtastic Regular Member • Posts: 446
Re: Sigma MC-11 Adapter Shipping!

Out of curiosity, has anyone else in here ordered through Adorama? If so, have you gotten any notifications from them?

Phamtastic's gear list:Phamtastic's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-100 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 +34 more
Phamtastic Regular Member • Posts: 446
Re: Latest

John G Moore wrote:

I will spend more time over the weekend testing my MC-11's. I've found a few quirks already. I need to investigate further. Stay tuned.

Curious about details of the quirks.

Phamtastic's gear list:Phamtastic's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-100 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 +34 more
John G Moore
Re: Quirks

Phamtastic wrote:

John G Moore wrote:

Curious about details of the quirks.

Bedtime here lads. I'll update you tomorrow.

chrisrabe Senior Member • Posts: 1,996
Re: Worth A Watch :)

John G Moore wrote:

http://goo.gl/f5cSrh

Was that at 600mm?

Couldn't hear the audio.

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a6600 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +5 more
Ketan G Regular Member • Posts: 344

I just received my adapter (had pre-ordered) and performed a quick test on the Sony A7R II.In terms of build, I like the quality of construction and the switch to unlock the lens from the adapter is larger and much easier to use than that of the Metabones IV.

One disclaimer: it is entirely possible that firmware updates could improve the results I experienced:

• Sigma 50mm Art: It seems to be using contrast-detect AF rather than phase-detect as the small phase-detect AF boxes within the medium-sized AF square do not light up when focusing this lens. They DO light up with my other Canon EF lenses using the same adapter. However, I tested Eye-AF and it works. I am guessing this could be fixed in an update.
  • Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 (non-IS): Focuses using phase detect AF, but I can only open the aperture to f/3.5, or at least that is what shows on the camera. Eye-AF does not work.
  • Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L: Focuses using phase-detect AF. Eye-AF does not work.

Overall, if you own a Metabones, it seems like the only reason to buy this (currently) is if you really want to use Eye-AF with Sigma Art Lenses. It could also be a good choice if you don't own any adapter as it is cheaper than the Metabones and performance is currently decent. However, I'm not sure how committed Sigma is to improving the AF performance of Canon EF lenses. For me, since I already have  a Metabones, it is hard to justify $250 just to Eye-AF my Sigma 50mm Art, even though the results would be great.

-- hide signature --
 Ketan G's gear list:Ketan G's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon EOS R5 Apple iPhone 11 Pro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +9 more
OP Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,128

Ketan G wrote:

I just received my adapter (had pre-ordered) and performed a quick test on the Sony A7R II.In terms of build, I like the quality of construction and the switch to unlock the lens from the adapter is larger and much easier to use than that of the Metabones IV.

One disclaimer: it is entirely possible that firmware updates could improve the results I experienced:

• Sigma 50mm Art: It seems to be using contrast-detect AF rather than phase-detect as the small phase-detect AF boxes within the medium-sized AF square do not light up when focusing this lens. They DO light up with my other Canon EF lenses using the same adapter. However, I tested Eye-AF and it works. I am guessing this could be fixed in an update.

I would not expect the phase detection points to light up. If you have a native lens and you put it in AF-S mode Small, Medium, or Large it will not show you the PDAF points.  Just the larger bracket bars. So in my opinion its active like a true native lens Sony or Zeiss native lens with AF. You can confirm this by switch between between these three variable spot modes for AF-S and if just the outer braces light up its emulating a native lens exactly.

• Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 (non-IS): Focuses using phase detect AF, but I can only open the aperture to f/3.5, or at least that is what shows on the camera. Eye-AF does not work.
  • Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L: Focuses using phase-detect AF. Eye-AF does not work.

Overall, if you own a Metabones, it seems like the only reason to buy this (currently) is if you really want to use Eye-AF with Sigma Art Lenses. It could also be a good choice if you don't own any adapter as it is cheaper than the Metabones and performance is currently decent. However, I'm not sure how committed Sigma is to improving the AF performance of Canon EF lenses. For me, since I already have a Metabones, it is hard to justify $250 just to Eye-AF my Sigma 50mm Art, even though the results would be great.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for reporting your results. If you can do the test above would appreciate if you reported back your results.  Steve

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Canon EOS R Sony a7R IV +41 more
AlphaPhotography
AlphaPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,957

Anders Wotzke wrote:

I'm most interested to see how the adapter performs with the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary, which i picked up yesterday. The metabones does a decent job, but a lot of the auto focus methods are disabled. If this could make that lens behave more natively, I'm in.

Other than the lack of AF methods, how does the 150-600mm AF perform at the long end? Have you used it for any tracking? I'm also curious about this lens with the MC-11 vs metabones

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/sonyartisan/

AlphaPhotography
AlphaPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,957

cbr00 wrote:

Anders Wotzke wrote:

I'm most interested to see how the adapter performs with the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary, which i picked up yesterday. The metabones does a decent job, but a lot of the auto focus methods are disabled. If this could make that lens behave more natively, I'm in.

+1 on this. Picked up the same lens - and the adapter should be here today. Will report back on how things work.

Looking forward to your thoughts

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/sonyartisan/

John G Moore

chrisrabe wrote:

John G Moore wrote:

Was that at 600mm?

Couldn't hear the audio.

Yes Chris - 600mm.

John G Moore wrote:

chrisrabe wrote:

John G Moore wrote:

Was that at 600mm?

Couldn't hear the audio.

Yes Chris - 600mm.

In that case, looks great to me. I'd be happy with those sorts of speeds - it's not like I'm going to get anything better any other way

Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a6600 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +5 more
John G Moore

Phamtastic wrote:

The manual states the MC-11 is only compatible in AF-S mode. It specifically states that it's not compatible in AF-C or AF-A. It also mentions that Manual Focus should be used for video shooting.

Having tried it; it does work in AF-C, and Eye AF also works.

I normally use my A7R II in AF-S Flexible Spot-M. In this mode my Sigma SA lenses mounted via the MC-11 mimic the behaviour of my Sony Lenses exactly. The focus selector area lights green when focus is acquired, but the small phase detect indicators within the focus area do not light.

I mention this because I also use the Commlite ENF-E1 Nikon-E adapter: In the same AF mode using my Sigma Nikon fit lenses, the small phase detect indicators do light up within the focus area. Because he is used to the Indicator behaviour of the Commlite adapter, my assistant actually questioned whether the Phase Detect AF was working when using the MC-11 with SA mount lenses.

Although my SIgma SA lenses mounted via the MC-11 behave like my native Sony lenses, they are noticeably a wee bit slower to acquire focus.

Comparing performance and compatibility of the MC-11 using Sigma SA mount lenses versus the Commlite ENF-E1 using the same models of Sigma lenses but in Nikon fit, the MC-11/ SA mount lens combination is much, much faster to acquire focus. The MC-11 is (as you would expect) also compatible with all of my Sigma lenses whereas the Commlite isn't..

In the end, it's great to be able to use all my Sigma SA mount GV lenses on the A7R II and have AF, Eye Detect, and all the Exif Data passed too.

Cheers

John

John G Moore

chrisrabe wrote:

In that case, looks great to me. I'd be happy with those sorts of speeds - it's not like I'm going to get anything better any other way

As you can tell from the comments in the video footage, Ricky and I were pretty happy with the performance too. Is it at fast as native Sony glass? ...not quite, but it's close enough and more than acceptable for our needs. We can now use 15 excellent Sigma GV lenses on our Sony bodies and that can only be a good thing.

OP Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,128

John G Moore wrote:

Phamtastic wrote:

The manual states the MC-11 is only compatible in AF-S mode. It specifically states that it's not compatible in AF-C or AF-A. It also mentions that Manual Focus should be used for video shooting.

Having tried it; it does work in AF-C, and Eye AF also works.

I normally use my A7R II in AF-S Flexible Spot-M. In this mode my Sigma SA lenses mounted via the MC-11 mimic the behaviour of my Sony Lenses exactly. The focus selector area lights green when focus is acquired, but the small phase detect indicators within the focus area do not light.

Agreed that is how it should react. I posted below on this because people who have only adapted lenses to their A7RII did not know this.  They expected it to act like the Metabones and Commlite and tickle the PD points. I think this is because adapted lenses only us PDAF and native lenses use a combination of PDAF and CDAF in the hybrid mode but not 100% sure.

Surprised the manual says it is not compatible with AF-C or AF-A. I thought AF-C was the recommended mode for using Eye-AF on the A7RII. Sure you can use Eye-AF in AF-S but its not nearly as effective based on my experience.

I mention this because I also use the Commlite ENF-E1 Nikon-E adapter: In the same AF mode using my Sigma Nikon fit lenses, the small phase detect indicators do light up within the focus area. Because he is used to the Indicator behaviour of the Commlite adapter, my assistant actually questioned whether the Phase Detect AF was working when using the MC-11 with SA mount lenses.

Although my SIgma SA lenses mounted via the MC-11 behave like my native Sony lenses, they are noticeably a wee bit slower to acquire focus.

Comparing performance and compatibility of the MC-11 using Sigma SA mount lenses versus the Commlite ENF-E1 using the same models of Sigma lenses but in Nikon fit, the MC-11/ SA mount lens combination is much, much faster to acquire focus. The MC-11 is (as you would expect) also compatible with all of my Sigma lenses whereas the Commlite isn't..

In the end, it's great to be able to use all my Sigma SA mount GV lenses on the A7R II and have AF, Eye Detect, and all the Exif Data passed too.

Cheers

John

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Canon EOS R Sony a7R IV +41 more
John G Moore

Steve W wrote:

Agreed that is how it should react. I posted below on this because people who have only adapted lenses to their A7RII did not know this. They expected it to act like the Metabones and Commlite and tickle the PD points. I think this is because adapted lenses only us PDAF and native lenses use a combination of PDAF and CDAF in the hybrid mode but not 100% sure.

Hi Steve, yes that's why I mentioned it. It seems to be causing confusion for some people, so I wanted to highlight the difference in behaviour patterns with different makes of adapters and the MC-11.

Surprised the manual says it is not compatible with AF-C or AF-A. I thought AF-C was the recommended mode for using Eye-AF on the A7RII. Sure you can use Eye-AF in AF-S but its not nearly as effective based on my experience.

Yes, it is surprising, although Sigma may just be being cautious.
The good thing is, is that it seems to be working in AF-C and with Eye AF anyway. Bonus!

John G Moore wrote:

chrisrabe wrote:

As you can tell from the comments in the video footage, Ricky and I were pretty happy with the performance too. Is it at fast as native Sony glass? ...not quite, but it's close enough and more than acceptable for our needs. We can now use 15 excellent Sigma GV lenses on our Sony bodies and that can only be a good thing.

Just watched on proper screen (with audio).

Yeah, I'll be absolutely content with that.

Only concern was what someone mentioned in another MC-11 thread about crashing on high speed shooting?

John G Moore wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Agreed that is how it should react. I posted below on this because people who have only adapted lenses to their A7RII did not know this. They expected it to act like the Metabones and Commlite and tickle the PD points. I think this is because adapted lenses only us PDAF and native lenses use a combination of PDAF and CDAF in the hybrid mode but not 100% sure.

Hi Steve, yes that's why I mentioned it. It seems to be causing confusion for some people, so I wanted to highlight the difference in behaviour patterns with different makes of adapters and the MC-11.

Yes, it is surprising, although Sigma may just be being cautious.
The good thing is, is that it seems to be working in AF-C and with Eye AF anyway. Bonus!

That scan just reminded me of something else I am hoping someone will report back on - the use of lens stabilisation with Sony camera stabilisation settings.

If I turn off OSS on lens, does it disable it all?

Do the two work in conjunction nicely?

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,341

In the past, the recommendation has been to disable 3rd party lens IS/VR (via the switch on the lens), which still leaves IBIS active. I think the expectation is that Sony did things to coordinate operation of OSS and IBIS with their lenses, but 3rd party stabilization doesn't have this interaction. It's a very good question whether Sigma is able to provide such coordination for their stabilized lenses working with IBIS through the MC-11.

-- hide signature --

A7-II with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); NEX-7 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
Si019 Forum Member • Posts: 64

There has  been some feedback but the sigma lenes version of the adaptor will work with all focus options including eye and face detection but the canon will only have the basic focus options?

Si019's gear list:Si019's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony 28mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,341

Si019 wrote:

There has been some feedback but the sigma lenes version of the adaptor will work with all focus options including eye and face detection but the canon will only have the basic focus options?

My comment was about IS vs. IBIS and whether IS should be disabled.

But, yes, the information we have so far, which seems to be confirmed by observations of users that have already received their copies, is that (at least some) Sigma lenses on the MC-11 can emulate native lenses. Emulating native lenses means support for capabilities like eye-AF; while Canon lenses on the MC-11 are still adapted lenses, and do not gain fast CDAF or eye-AF.

-- hide signature --

A7-II with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); NEX-7 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads