How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Started Apr 15, 2016 | Questions
rgs_45
rgs_45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,328
How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

I thinking getting the Panasonic GX85 camera (when it comes out) and will be mainly use for 4K video The Pany GX85 will be mated with the Pana/Leica 15/1.7 lens. Also looking at different one but the GX85 intrigues me most and will also be use as back up to my EM-1.

Have a couple of questions in regards to memory capacity, video frame rates and setting.

How many minutes of 4K video would fit on a 32/64GB SDXC memory card with different size sensors?

  • 16 MP
  • 20 MP
  • 24 MP

Is there a difference between 24 and 30 fps and will there be a difference in file size?

For starter, is using Program or Aperture priority be good enough to get a result better than a 1080 HD? This will my first time to venture into video.

Any suggestions is very much appreciated

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

- Richard -
"I'm a hobbyist and a snap-shooter! I shoot anything that interest me. Sometimes I get lucky and one or two of my snap-shots turns into a fine photograph."

 rgs_45's gear list:rgs_45's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael Trenton Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?
1

rgs_45 wrote:

I thinking getting the Panasonic GX85 camera (when it comes out) and will be mainly use for 4K video The Pany GX85 will be mated with the Pana/Leica 15/1.7 lens. Also looking at different one but the GX85 intrigues me most and will also be use as back up to my EM-1.

Have a couple of questions in regards to memory capacity, video frame rates and setting.

How many minutes of 4K video would fit on a 32/64GB SDXC memory card with different size sensors?

  • 16 MP
  • 20 MP
  • 24 MP

Is there a difference between 24 and 30 fps and will there be a difference in file size?

For starter, is using Program or Aperture priority be good enough to get a result better than a 1080 HD? This will my first time to venture into video.

Any suggestions is very much appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Hi there!

Things like sensor size, framerate and resolution of the video doesn't affect how much you can record to your memory card, it's the video bitrate per second that does. Basically if you have a camera capable of recording 1080p 60fps at 100Mbps you'd be able to fit exactly the same amount of video on your memory card as if you're recording 4K 25fps at 100Mps.

I have a Sony RX100 IV which is capable of recording 4K video at 100Mbps bitrate. On a 64GB SDXC card that gives me around 1 hour and 20 mins of recording time. As far as I know the GX85 is also capable of recording 100Mbps 4K so you'd be looking at around the same time. Some cameras have the option to dial down the bitrate (on my RX100 IV you can opt for recording 4K at 60Mbps) which will give you more recording time on your memory card (2h11m). Obviously the video will be more heavily compressed as a result.

Make sure you have fast enough memory cards for recording 4K by the way as some cards, even SDXC U-3 cards aren't fast enough for recording at 100Mbps.

 Michael Trenton's gear list:Michael Trenton's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 60D Sony a6300 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +11 more
rgs_45
OP rgs_45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,328
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Michael Trenton wrote:

rgs_45 wrote:

I thinking getting the Panasonic GX85 camera (when it comes out) and will be mainly use for 4K video The Pany GX85 will be mated with the Pana/Leica 15/1.7 lens. Also looking at different one but the GX85 intrigues me most and will also be use as back up to my EM-1.

Have a couple of questions in regards to memory capacity, video frame rates and setting.

How many minutes of 4K video would fit on a 32/64GB SDXC memory card with different size sensors?

  • 16 MP
  • 20 MP
  • 24 MP

Is there a difference between 24 and 30 fps and will there be a difference in file size?

For starter, is using Program or Aperture priority be good enough to get a result better than a 1080 HD? This will my first time to venture into video.

Any suggestions is very much appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Hi there!

Things like sensor size, framerate and resolution of the video doesn't affect how much you can record to your memory card, it's the video bitrate per second that does. Basically if you have a camera capable of recording 1080p 60fps at 100Mbps you'd be able to fit exactly the same amount of video on your memory card as if you're recording 4K 25fps at 100Mps.

I have a Sony RX100 IV which is capable of recording 4K video at 100Mbps bitrate. On a 64GB SDXC card that gives me around 1 hour and 20 mins of recording time. As far as I know the GX85 is also capable of recording 100Mbps 4K so you'd be looking at around the same time. Some cameras have the option to dial down the bitrate (on my RX100 IV you can opt for recording 4K at 60Mbps) which will give you more recording time on your memory card (2h11m). Obviously the video will be more heavily compressed as a result.

Make sure you have fast enough memory cards for recording 4K by the way as some cards, even SDXC U-3 cards aren't fast enough for recording at 100Mbps.

Thanks Michael.

I am looking at the Lexar® Professional 1000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II (U3). It says it is capable of 150MB/s, but it does not state if it's the write or read speed. Will this be good enough for 60fps? As I mentioned, this will be my first forte on video and more likely be doing photo frame capture. Again, Thanks for your respone.

-- hide signature --

- Richard -
"I'm a hobbyist and a snap-shooter! I shoot anything that interest me. Sometimes I get lucky and one or two of my snap-shots turns into a fine photograph."

 rgs_45's gear list:rgs_45's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
Michael Trenton Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

rgs_45 wrote:

Thanks Michael.

I am looking at the Lexar® Professional 1000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II (U3). It says it is capable of 150MB/s, but it does not state if it's the write or read speed. Will this be good enough for 60fps? As I mentioned, this will be my first forte on video and more likely be doing photo frame capture. Again, Thanks for your respone.

Yes, Lexar Professional 1000x is definitely more than fast enough for 4K 100Mbps recording. 150MB/s is the read speed, but the write speed is also very fast. I have one of those in 64GB capacity myself and it works perfectly with my RX100 IV.

When you say 60fps do you mean 1080p 60fps? Because even a slower card should be capable of recording 1080p 60fps on a GX85 as the bitrate for recording 1080p 60fps on the GX85 is only 28Mbps (when I said 100Mbps in my first post that was just meant as an example as some cameras are capable of recording 1080p at 100Mbps, but the GX85 is not - it only shoots 100Mbps when 4K is selected).

It seems the GX85 has these options:

4K at 100Mbps, 1080p/60fps at 28Mbps, 1080p/30fps at 20Mbps and 720p/30fps at 10Mbps.

So in the case of your camera 4K is the only setting that will need fast memory cards. A 64GB card would have enough space for approximately 1 hour 20 minutes at 4K. If you shoot 1080p 60fps a 64GB card will have enough space for just over 5 hours recording. But then again 4K looks much better in my opinion, even when played back at a 1080p monitor, I'd say it's worth shooting 4K, but this depends on each individual of course.

 Michael Trenton's gear list:Michael Trenton's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 60D Sony a6300 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +11 more
rgs_45
OP rgs_45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,328
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Michael Trenton wrote:

rgs_45 wrote:

Thanks Michael.

I am looking at the Lexar® Professional 1000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II (U3). It says it is capable of 150MB/s, but it does not state if it's the write or read speed. Will this be good enough for 60fps? As I mentioned, this will be my first forte on video and more likely be doing photo frame capture. Again, Thanks for your respone.

Yes, Lexar Professional 1000x is definitely more than fast enough for 4K 100Mbps recording. 150MB/s is the read speed, but the write speed is also very fast. I have one of those in 64GB capacity myself and it works perfectly with my RX100 IV.

When you say 60fps do you mean 1080p 60fps?

Sorry, supposed to be 4K at 60MBps. 'Have to get use to video terms  

-- hide signature --

- Richard -
"I'm a hobbyist and a snap-shooter! I shoot anything that interest me. Sometimes I get lucky and one or two of my snap-shots turns into a fine photograph."

 rgs_45's gear list:rgs_45's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
Michael Trenton Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

rgs_45 wrote:

Sorry, supposed to be 4K at 60MBps. 'Have to get use to video terms

-- hide signature --

- Richard -
"I'm a hobbyist and a snap-shooter! I shoot anything that interest me. Sometimes I get lucky and one or two of my snap-shots turns into a fine photograph."

Yes, the Lexar 1000x is more than fast enough even for 100Mbps so for 60Mbps (if that is even an option on the GX85?) you should be more than okay.

I've recorded 60Mbps on SDXC U-3 memory cards with less than 80MB/s write speeds without any problem so you should definitely be all set with a Lexar 1000x for both 60Mbps and 100Mbps (even 100 megabits per second is actually only 12,5 Mega Bytes per second so as long as a memory card has sustained write speeds above that it should in theory be able to record, but some cameras, like my Sony RX100 IV refuses to record 100Mbps unless you insert cards with much higher write speeds than what is really needed).

 Michael Trenton's gear list:Michael Trenton's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 60D Sony a6300 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +11 more
xi5
xi5 Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Just an fyi: the advertised write speeds are minimum speeds, not maximum.

I have a Panasonic camera that shoots 4K video at the same 100mbps bitrate. I use this Transcend card with advertised write speed of "60MB/s" and it works fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Speed-UHS-3-Memory-TS64GSDU3/dp/B00J3KA814/191-1885078-9247225?ie=UTF8&keywords=TRANSCEND%20SDXC%20U3&qid=1460753639&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,215
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?
1

xi5 wrote:

Just an fyi: the advertised write speeds are minimum speeds, not maximum.

I have a Panasonic camera that shoots 4K video at the same 100mbps bitrate. I use this Transcend card with advertised write speed of "60MB/s" and it works fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Speed-UHS-3-Memory-TS64GSDU3/dp/B00J3KA814/191-1885078-9247225?ie=UTF8&keywords=TRANSCEND%20SDXC%20U3&qid=1460753639&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

No the "advertised write speeds" are maximum burst speeds, and they are totally irrelevant. Not only that, 60 MB/s = 480 Mbps. The u3 designation is about minimum sustained write speed. It is above 100 Mbps, and that is what counts.

 Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +12 more
Michael Trenton Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

xi5 wrote:

Just an fyi: the advertised write speeds are minimum speeds, not maximum.

I have a Panasonic camera that shoots 4K video at the same 100mbps bitrate. I use this Transcend card with advertised write speed of "60MB/s" and it works fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Speed-UHS-3-Memory-TS64GSDU3/dp/B00J3KA814/191-1885078-9247225?ie=UTF8&keywords=TRANSCEND%20SDXC%20U3&qid=1460753639&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Are you sure all memory card manufacturers advertise minimum speeds? I know when it comes to other storage media like SSDs and harddrives many manufacturers are often quite generous with the performance of their own products when advertising.

I haven't performed any write speed tests of SD cards myself, nor read up on them, so I'm not gonna accuse any manufacturers of cheating or misleading the customers, but I notice quite often when transfering large amounts of data to my computer from my SD cards that the sustained read speeds often seem to be somewhat slower than advertised. I haven't dvelved into it in any scientific way though so take that with a grain of salt.

I don't doubt for a second that you've shot 100Mbps 4K on a 60MB/s card. After all 100Mbps is only 12,5 MB/s so in theory any card capable of sustained write speed not dropping below 12,5 MB/s should be good enough for recording 100Mbps bitrates.

Which brings me to the interesting point; does some camera manufacturers rip us off? My Sony RX100 IV doesn't even allow me to select high bitrate video like 4K at 100Mbps or even 60Mbps unless a SDXC U-3 rated card is detected. Even though plenty of other SDXC cards ought to be more than fast enough. And even with a SDXC U-3 card I've been denied shooting at 100Mbps. On holiday recently I needed an extra memory card and ended up buying a PNY SDXC U-3 card that was advertised as having 80MB/s read and 60 MB/s write. Yet my camera would only allow me to shoot 4K at 60Mbps while I was denied shooting at 100Mbps as my camera popped up an error message claiming the card wasn't fast enough. Not fast enough?! With advertised write speeds of 60MB/s it should be more than fast enough for the 12,5MB/s needed for 100Mbps! (what's this crap you're pulling Sony?!)

 Michael Trenton's gear list:Michael Trenton's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 60D Sony a6300 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +11 more
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,215
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Michael Trenton wrote:

xi5 wrote:

Just an fyi: the advertised write speeds are minimum speeds, not maximum.

I have a Panasonic camera that shoots 4K video at the same 100mbps bitrate. I use this Transcend card with advertised write speed of "60MB/s" and it works fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Speed-UHS-3-Memory-TS64GSDU3/dp/B00J3KA814/191-1885078-9247225?ie=UTF8&keywords=TRANSCEND%20SDXC%20U3&qid=1460753639&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Are you sure all memory card manufacturers advertise minimum speeds? I know when it comes to other storage media like SSDs and harddrives many manufacturers are often quite generous with the performance of their own products when advertising.

I haven't performed any write speed tests of SD cards myself, nor read up on them, so I'm not gonna accuse any manufacturers of cheating or misleading the customers, but I notice quite often when transfering large amounts of data to my computer from my SD cards that the sustained read speeds often seem to be somewhat slower than advertised. I haven't dvelved into it in any scientific way though so take that with a grain of salt.

I don't doubt for a second that you've shot 100Mbps 4K on a 60MB/s card. After all 100Mbps is only 12,5 MB/s so in theory any card capable of sustained write speed not dropping below 12,5 MB/s should be good enough for recording 100Mbps bitrates.

Which brings me to the interesting point; does some camera manufacturers rip us off? My Sony RX100 IV doesn't even allow me to select high bitrate video like 4K at 100Mbps or even 60Mbps unless a SDXC U-3 rated card is detected. Even though plenty of other SDXC cards ought to be more than fast enough. And even with a SDXC U-3 card I've been denied shooting at 100Mbps. On holiday recently I needed an extra memory card and ended up buying a PNY SDXC U-3 card that was advertised as having 80MB/s read and 60 MB/s write. Yet my camera would only allow me to shoot 4K at 60Mbps while I was denied shooting at 100Mbps as my camera popped up an error message claiming the card wasn't fast enough. Not fast enough?! With advertised write speeds of 60MB/s it should be more than fast enough for the 12,5MB/s needed for 100Mbps! (what's this crap you're pulling Sony?!)

xi5's statement is just wrong (leaving aside the confusion over megabytes and megabits). The "advertised" speeds are maximum burst write speeds. What matters are minimum sustained write speeds. The u3 designation is supposed to provide that (you can look up what it means).

 Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +12 more
Michael Trenton Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Markr041 wrote

xi5's statement is just wrong (leaving aside the confusion over megabytes and megabits). The "advertised" speeds are maximum burst write speeds. What matters are minimum sustained write speeds. The u3 designation is supposed to provide that (you can look up what it means).

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case. Still, I'd very much like to find out if Sony has set the bar too high when it comes to memory card requirements. Surely a memory card which claims 60MB/s maximum write speed should be capable of at least 12,5 MB/s sustained write speed (and thus be good enough for 100Mbps bitrates)?

 Michael Trenton's gear list:Michael Trenton's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 60D Sony a6300 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +11 more
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,870
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Michael Trenton wrote:

On holiday recently I needed an extra memory card and ended up buying a PNY SDXC U-3 card that was advertised as having 80MB/s read and 60 MB/s write. Yet my camera would only allow me to shoot 4K at 60Mbps while I was denied shooting at 100Mbps as my camera popped up an error message claiming the card wasn't fast enough. Not fast enough?! With advertised write speeds of 60MB/s it should be more than fast enough for the 12,5MB/s needed for 100Mbps! (what's this crap you're pulling Sony?!)

I've tried Sandisk extreme Pro U3 (64 gb) and it worked fine in AX53 for 4k 100 bps

-- hide signature --

Best regards

 Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
xi5
xi5 Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Markr041 wrote:

xi5 wrote:

Just an fyi: the advertised write speeds are minimum speeds, not maximum.

I have a Panasonic camera that shoots 4K video at the same 100mbps bitrate. I use this Transcend card with advertised write speed of "60MB/s" and it works fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Speed-UHS-3-Memory-TS64GSDU3/dp/B00J3KA814/191-1885078-9247225?ie=UTF8&keywords=TRANSCEND%20SDXC%20U3&qid=1460753639&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

No the "advertised write speeds" are maximum burst speeds, and they are totally irrelevant. Not only that, 60 MB/s = 480 Mbps. The u3 designation is about minimum sustained write speed. It is above 100 Mbps, and that is what counts.

Thanks for clearing that up.

xi5
xi5 Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?
1

I was incorrect with my information, look at Markr041's reply to my post regarding U3.

xi5
xi5 Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Markr041 wrote:

Michael Trenton wrote:

xi5 wrote:

Just an fyi: the advertised write speeds are minimum speeds, not maximum.

I have a Panasonic camera that shoots 4K video at the same 100mbps bitrate. I use this Transcend card with advertised write speed of "60MB/s" and it works fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Speed-UHS-3-Memory-TS64GSDU3/dp/B00J3KA814/191-1885078-9247225?ie=UTF8&keywords=TRANSCEND%20SDXC%20U3&qid=1460753639&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Are you sure all memory card manufacturers advertise minimum speeds? I know when it comes to other storage media like SSDs and harddrives many manufacturers are often quite generous with the performance of their own products when advertising.

I haven't performed any write speed tests of SD cards myself, nor read up on them, so I'm not gonna accuse any manufacturers of cheating or misleading the customers, but I notice quite often when transfering large amounts of data to my computer from my SD cards that the sustained read speeds often seem to be somewhat slower than advertised. I haven't dvelved into it in any scientific way though so take that with a grain of salt.

I don't doubt for a second that you've shot 100Mbps 4K on a 60MB/s card. After all 100Mbps is only 12,5 MB/s so in theory any card capable of sustained write speed not dropping below 12,5 MB/s should be good enough for recording 100Mbps bitrates.

Which brings me to the interesting point; does some camera manufacturers rip us off? My Sony RX100 IV doesn't even allow me to select high bitrate video like 4K at 100Mbps or even 60Mbps unless a SDXC U-3 rated card is detected. Even though plenty of other SDXC cards ought to be more than fast enough. And even with a SDXC U-3 card I've been denied shooting at 100Mbps. On holiday recently I needed an extra memory card and ended up buying a PNY SDXC U-3 card that was advertised as having 80MB/s read and 60 MB/s write. Yet my camera would only allow me to shoot 4K at 60Mbps while I was denied shooting at 100Mbps as my camera popped up an error message claiming the card wasn't fast enough. Not fast enough?! With advertised write speeds of 60MB/s it should be more than fast enough for the 12,5MB/s needed for 100Mbps! (what's this crap you're pulling Sony?!)

xi5's statement is just wrong (leaving aside the confusion over megabytes and megabits). The "advertised" speeds are maximum burst write speeds. What matters are minimum sustained write speeds. The u3 designation is supposed to provide that (you can look up what it means).

Found this @ B&H through a search, (obviously after my post).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/computers/tips-and-solutions/numbers-your-memory-card

Michael Trenton Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

xi5 wrote:

Found this @ B&H through a search, (obviously after my post).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/computers/tips-and-solutions/numbers-your-memory-card

Thanks for posting this. It does indeed show how Sony are ripping off their customers and forcing us to buy faster and more expensive cards than we really need. If U-3 means the write speed will never drop below 30 MB/s then every single U-3 card out there should be more than fast enough to record 4K at 100Mbps seeing as that is only 12,5 MB/s.

 Michael Trenton's gear list:Michael Trenton's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 60D Sony a6300 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +11 more
nigelht Senior Member • Posts: 1,862
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Michael Trenton wrote:

xi5 wrote:

Found this @ B&H through a search, (obviously after my post).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/computers/tips-and-solutions/numbers-your-memory-card

Thanks for posting this. It does indeed show how Sony are ripping off their customers and forcing us to buy faster and more expensive cards than we really need. If U-3 means the write speed will never drop below 30 MB/s then every single U-3 card out there should be more than fast enough to record 4K at 100Mbps seeing as that is only 12,5 MB/s.

http://alikgriffin.com/best-sd-memory-card-sony-a7rii

Here is an interesting blog post on why this might be for Sony. The hypothesis is unproven but interesting.

But if true it might explain Sony's requirements and why it appears some cards are flakey in Sony gear.

 nigelht's gear list:nigelht's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D5300
Michael Trenton Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

nigelht wrote:

http://alikgriffin.com/best-sd-memory-card-sony-a7rii

Here is an interesting blog post on why this might be for Sony. The hypothesis is unproven but interesting.

But if true it might explain Sony's requirements and why it appears some cards are flakey in Sony gear.

That was an interesting read. Strange that Sony would bottleneck the write speeds an expensive camera like the A7RII for what appears (to me at least) to be no apparently good reason.

Still, this may just be me, but even after reading that blog post I'm still confused as to why the RX100 IV refuses me to record 100Mbps 4K onto my PNY 64GB SDXC U-3 by giving me an error message saying the card is not fast enough. Because clearly the camera is capable of writing fast enough to other U-3 cards so it can't be the camera itself, nor the U-3 standard that's the bottleneck right?

Unless PNY is the culprit here and their advertised U-3 card doesn't deliver above 30MB/s sustained write speeds, but rather sub 12,5 MB/s write speeds which would make the card too slow for 100Mbps 4K?

EDIT:

Wait, I think I understand it now. It's because some U-3 memory cards use a protocol not supported by Sony is that it?

 Michael Trenton's gear list:Michael Trenton's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 60D Sony a6300 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +11 more
nigelht Senior Member • Posts: 1,862
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

Michael Trenton wrote:

nigelht wrote:

http://alikgriffin.com/best-sd-memory-card-sony-a7rii

Here is an interesting blog post on why this might be for Sony. The hypothesis is unproven but interesting.

But if true it might explain Sony's requirements and why it appears some cards are flakey in Sony gear.

That was an interesting read. Strange that Sony would bottleneck the write speeds an expensive camera like the A7RII for what appears (to me at least) to be no apparently good reason.

Still, this may just be me, but even after reading that blog post I'm still confused as to why the RX100 IV refuses me to record 100Mbps 4K onto my PNY 64GB SDXC U-3 by giving me an error message saying the card is not fast enough. Because clearly the camera is capable of writing fast enough to other U-3 cards so it can't be the camera itself, nor the U-3 standard that's the bottleneck right?

Unless PNY is the culprit here and their advertised U-3 card doesn't deliver above 30MB/s sustained write speeds, but rather sub 12,5 MB/s write speeds which would make the card too slow for 100Mbps 4K?

EDIT:

Wait, I think I understand it now. It's because some U-3 memory cards use a protocol not supported by Sony is that it?

You have moved past my knowledge in this area :). If I had to guess, I would guess that one easy area to cut corners on when making a card is how many high speed protocols you support to meet the minimum required to get the desired certifications.

Also, the PNY did poorly on the Wirecutter review.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sd-card/

I like Wirecutter because I have found even when I don't buy what they suggest I get good information to make my own decision.

 nigelht's gear list:nigelht's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D5300
Michael Trenton Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: How many mins of 4K video can a 32/64 GB SDXC memory card can hold?

nigelht wrote:

You have moved past my knowledge in this area :). If I had to guess, I would guess that one easy area to cut corners on when making a card is how many high speed protocols you support to meet the minimum required to get the desired certifications.

Also, the PNY did poorly on the Wirecutter review.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sd-card/

I like Wirecutter because I have found even when I don't buy what they suggest I get good information to make my own decision.

Ah, I think you're definitely on to something there. So it's probably PNY that's the culprit for cutting corners then.

I'll definitely be more careful when buying cards from now on. I usually tend to research memory cards thoroughly before buying, but on holiday this easter I had a Kingston 256GB SDXC U-3 card dying on me so I was forced to buy some cheap replacement cards. I first bought a PNY 'Elite Performance' 64GB card which worked perfectly even with 100Mbps bitrates, but when I got back to the store to buy another one the day after they were sold out so I settled for a PNY 'Turbo Performance' instead. I figured since both cards were U-3 that both would work. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I'll probably stick with Lexar and SanDisk cards from now on.

 Michael Trenton's gear list:Michael Trenton's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 60D Sony a6300 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads