FZ300 quality issues

Started Apr 14, 2016 | Discussions
mobilesimon Forum Member • Posts: 50
FZ300 quality issues

So I returned my first FZ300 because it had issues retracting the lens, occasionally the mechanism made a grinding noise and struggled to move.  I decided to buy another one and on this one the viewfinder is out of whack.  I can't get properly focused and there is only a tiny sweet spot where I can see what's going on.  This time I've decided to just live with it because it's a hassle to return it.  Anyways seems like Panasonic's QA is slipping on this model and I thought I'd make a post about it, maybe others are receiving duds too.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photohanked Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: FZ300 quality issues

Sorry to hear of your fz300 problems its a drag when you spend so much on a camera. I have the fz1000 and the fz300 and no issues here but have had issues with a couple of sony nex cameras in the past so I guess it can happen with any manufacturer.  I had a Nikon D7000 that had back focus issues and same with the new one they replaced it with then found it was a widespread problem. I would return the camera and try again.

photohanked's gear list:photohanked's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6400 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD
cainn24 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

mobilesimon wrote:

So I returned my first FZ300 because it had issues retracting the lens, occasionally the mechanism made a grinding noise and struggled to move. I decided to buy another one and on this one the viewfinder is out of whack. I can't get properly focused and there is only a tiny sweet spot where I can see what's going on. This time I've decided to just live with it because it's a hassle to return it. Anyways seems like Panasonic's QA is slipping on this model and I thought I'd make a post about it, maybe others are receiving duds too.

I've had really bad luck myself in recent times with small-format Panasonic cameras. So much so that I am hesitant to buy another. In Australia it's not like you can just keep returning samples until you find a good one. There are maybe one or two stores that have a generous return policy (among many that don't) but you'll still wear out your welcome real fast. And I just don't like putting retailers in the position of having to resell a previously sold camera, even if it is in pristine condition (and we're just hoping that the next customer doesn't notice whatever the problem was anyway). So the last time I had a significant issue I communicated the problem to Panasonic directly and it took 4 months for them to arrange a return and a store credit. That's not an exaggeration.

Having said all that however it is certainly possible that I have just been unlucky and that my experiences (and yours for that matter) are not indicative of the emergence of widespread quality control issues. It's important to remember that. In the last three and a half years I have owned and used a total of 8 Panasonic camera models, and have only had significant issues with two of those models (that's still unlucky, but a statistically inevitable eventuality for a certain percentage of camera buyers). Unfortunately those two were the last two which means the "wounds" are still fresh.

GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,791

Quality issues seem to go well beyond Panasonic.  You mentioned Sony having issues, and I've had several with Canon including problems with lenses and DSLR bodies as well as fixed lens models.

Given the declining sales volume, I'd expect corner cutting to try and reduce costs.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon SX220 HS Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon G7 X II +2 more
Hatstand Senior Member • Posts: 1,612
Adjusting viewfinder focus

mobilesimon wrote:

on this one the viewfinder is out of whack. I can't get properly focused and there is only a tiny sweet spot where I can see what's going on.

You do know how to adjust the viewfinder focus using the diopter wheel, right? (diopter wheel is on the left side of the viewfinder).

Just checking...!

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,363

All the companies that operate on the large-scale formula of production and sales are constantly looking for jobbers to throw together sweatshop factories in places where labor is cheaper. Quality-control suffers, regardless of what they claim about it being equal wherever the products are assembled. They are counting on enough customers who won't want to bother returning defective items. Do you suppose the time will come, when they'll start making jet airliners in this way?

-- hide signature --
 Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
Passinthru 1234 New Member • Posts: 2

I have loved my Panasonic camera since I bought my first bridge camera many years ago, I have worn out (or fallen on) four different models over the years. Everyone raves about my photos and I love the versatility of it.

That being said, I bought the new PANASONIC LUMIX FZ300 last February and loved it instantly, for 10 days, then the problems started. Intermittent Zoom problems, the lens not retracting when it was turned off. When I would zoom on something it would often say "zoom error, turn camera off and back on again" At times I couldn't zoom past 400 without it "clunking" and giving me the error message. Sometimes when I turned the camera on neither the display nor the viewfinder would turn on and I would have to turn it off and back on again. Also, often for no reason whatsoever it would just say to turn the camera off and back on again,.

I was told to return the camera to factory settings which i did multiple times to no avail so I was told to send it back which I did on May 29th. They fixed it and returned it to me July 9th! I got this report back with it: "The lens unit, battery contact, main seal were replaced. The firmware was updated. The camera tested good".

Right from the time I got it back  I still had problems with it, the zoom still didn't work properly, it kept making me turn the camera off and then back on still.  It also hesitated, responded slowly, stuttered (started and stopped) and even zoomed out when I was trying to zoom in! The back display and viewfinder still didn't always turn on and I had to turn the camera off and back on to get it to show.  I shoot one handed because I use a cane in my left hand so I' was definitely not touching the buttons on the left side. When I turned the camera off sometimes it would take a long time to turn off and I even started having to take the battery out to get it to turn off!

They had me return it to them the end of August again!  The dealer gave them a letter I had written about how disappointed I was in it and they finally agreed to send me a replacement camera, it arrived the end of September and worked fine until the end of February this year when I was in Australia.  The exposure compensation button quit working and so did the movie button (I don't take movies either so it hadn't been used).  I contacted the seller when I got back from Australia and was informed that my warranty expired the end of February!!  The warranty was not for 1 year on the new replacement camera!  I have now sent it back AGAIN and wait and wait and wait again.

I do not have a spare camera at all, I am disabled and rely on my camera for my mental and physical health to get out or my house and take pictures and socialize.

I wonder how long I will be without it again and what will be their decision regarding fixing it again under warranty.  I can not afford to buy another camera!

Ronomy
Ronomy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,062
Re: Adjusting viewfinder focus

Hatstand wrote:

mobilesimon wrote:

on this one the viewfinder is out of whack. I can't get properly focused and there is only a tiny sweet spot where I can see what's going on.

You do know how to adjust the viewfinder focus using the diopter wheel, right? (diopter wheel is on the left side of the viewfinder).

Just checking...!

Good point!  I was looking at a friend's  FZ300 and it was out of focus but ok in the center.  Adjusted the diopter and it was fine.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
John McCormack
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,581
Re: FZ300 quality issues. Yes, There are QC Problems

Passinthru 1234 wrote:

When I would zoom on something it would often say "zoom error, turn camera off and back on again" At times I couldn't zoom past 400 without it "clunking" and giving me the error message. Sometimes when I turned the camera on neither the display nor the viewfinder would turn on and I would have to turn it off and back on again. Also, often for no reason whatsoever it would just say to turn the camera off and back on again,.

Of the 46 cameras listed on my Profile page I've had issues with three Panasonic cameras and one Contax camera. All the others have been great.

I have an FZ300 and occasionally the lens makes a terrible grinding noise when it retracts. Since it is infrequent and hasn't affected performance or IQ I am living with it. My old FZ150 also had the same issue.

On the other hand, I bought a ZS60 that failed right out of the box on the first day with the dreaded "Zoom error..." problem and refused to restart. I spoke to Panasonic and they said to send it in for repair under warranty. No way. I sent it back to Amazon.com for a full refund.

As the saying goes, "Once bitten twice shy." I probably will not invest much if anything in another low end Panasonic camera.

Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,612

Sorry to hear about all of the problems with the FZ300/330.  I have the FZ200 and it has been reported many times about the rear wheel that stops working.  I haven't had the problem, yet.  But, I'm expecting it any time.  I think that Panasonic thought that they'd fixed the problem withe the newer version, but then other problems arose.  Canon???

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Luvbirds New Member • Posts: 1

mobilesimon wrote:

So I returned my first FZ300 because it had issues retracting the lens, occasionally the mechanism made a grinding noise and struggled to move. I decided to buy another one and on this one the viewfinder is out of whack. I can't get properly focused and there is only a tiny sweet spot where I can see what's going on. This time I've decided to just live with it because it's a hassle to return it. Anyways seems like Panasonic's QA is slipping on this model and I thought I'd make a post about it, maybe others are receiving duds too.

I thought I was ordering another FZ200 when I got the FZ300.  At first it seemed fine but then on one outing the zoom started going in and out on it's own.  I turned off the camera to stop it.  Now it sometimes won't go out at all and I have to turn off the camera and back on so it will work.  The focus can also be a problem.  Am hoping Best Buy will replace it.

ntrl New Member • Posts: 5

After buying an fz300 some time ago, my brand image of Panasonic cameras has been lowered due to the grinding noise I heard when turning off the camera (as the lens retracts). It just didn't sound 'normal' at all. I never really had a negative experience with Panasonic cameras until the FZ300. Now I am hesitant to buy another LUMIX.

Stephen McDonald wrote:

All the companies that operate on the large-scale formula of production and sales are constantly looking for jobbers to throw together sweatshop factories in places where labor is cheaper. Quality-control suffers, regardless of what they claim about it being equal wherever the products are assembled. They are counting on enough customers who won't want to bother returning defective items. Do you suppose the time will come, when they'll start making jet airliners in this way?

This has already happened.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-28/boeing-s-737-max-software-outsourced-to-9-an-hour-engineers

Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 2,483

What's this fetish about owning the FZ300 and FZ1000 together? I am in the same camp. You didn't own the FZ50 and FZ200 as well by any chance, did you?

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G90 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads