Q lens rattles. Normal?

Started Apr 10, 2016 | Discussions
Rodrigue Zahr
Rodrigue Zahr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,213
Q lens rattles. Normal?

dear Leica Q owners,

i have the pleasure to announce to you that for some time, I'll have anleica Q added to my arsenal, a new camera that a friend of mine bought and soon realized he can't take to one of his crazy expeditions. It's with me now and while trying to appreciate its amazing built and ergonomics I noticed that rattles can be heard from the lens when the camera is lightly shaken. Is this normal? I'm not talking about lens sound or noise when camera is been used, it rattles even when the camera is off.

hope someone can shed some light on this matter  and clarify whether the camera needs to be sent back to Leica

thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

www.rodriguezahr.com

Rodrigue Zahr's gear list:Rodrigue Zahr's gear list
Leica Q Leica M9 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +8 more
JDLaing
JDLaing Veteran Member • Posts: 6,426
Re: Q lens rattles. Normal?

Rodrigue Zahr wrote:

dear Leica Q owners,

i have the pleasure to announce to you that for some time, I'll have anleica Q added to my arsenal, a new camera that a friend of mine bought and soon realized he can't take to one of his crazy expeditions. It's with me now and while trying to appreciate its amazing built and ergonomics I noticed that rattles can be heard from the lens when the camera is lightly shaken. Is this normal? I'm not talking about lens sound or noise when camera is been used, it rattles even when the camera is off.

hope someone can shed some light on this matter and clarify whether the camera needs to be sent back to Leica

thanks in advance.

I think it's the image stabilization.

JDLaing's gear list:JDLaing's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica M8.2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M Typ 240 Sony a7 II +17 more
TheClueless
TheClueless Senior Member • Posts: 2,140
Well, since it stops when you turn it on...

...it should be clear it's the OIS.

Though if it's rattling even when on then it's a problem.

TheClueless's gear list:TheClueless's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica M10 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV +80 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,498

Yes, but is a special Leica rattle!

Dont worry - most lenses with OIS rattle to some extent.

Joe

Rodrigue Zahr
OP Rodrigue Zahr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,213

Thanks for your replies guys. Yes, it seems it's the Image stabilization system but still, engineers could have make it lock somehow upon camera shutdown. Anyways, so far, I'm getting more shaky shots with the Q than I have ever had with the XV or M9 under same shooting situations,  landscapes or still life targets...

Maybe I should give us more time to know each other

-- hide signature --

www.rodriguezahr.com

Leica Q Leica M9 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +8 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,084

Rodrigue Zahr wrote:

Thanks for your replies guys. Yes, it seems it's the Image stabilization system but still, engineers could have make it lock somehow upon camera shutdown. Anyways, so far, I'm getting more shaky shots with the Q than I have ever had with the XV or M9 under same shooting situations, landscapes or still life targets...

My Sigma DN Arts for Sony E-Mount rattle when the power is off.  While they don't have image stabilization, Sigma told me the rattling are the optical elements suspended inside an electromagnetic field that activates when powered on.

-- hide signature --
Paul20
Paul20 Senior Member • Posts: 2,809

Rodrigue,

Yes it rattles. But get on the street and use the AF at close proximity, that is where the Q excels.

P

Paul20's gear list:Paul20's gear list
Leica SL2 Leica M9 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4
Rodrigue Zahr

Paul20 wrote:

Rodrigue,

Yes it rattles. But get on the street and use the AF at close proximity, that is where the Q excels.

P

That what I have noticed and liked to a great extent. Can't wait  for a Q spin on the streets.

-- hide signature --

www.rodriguezahr.com

Rodrigue Zahr

historianx wrote:

Rodrigue Zahr wrote:

Thanks for your replies guys. Yes, it seems it's the Image stabilization system but still, engineers could have make it lock somehow upon camera shutdown. Anyways, so far, I'm getting more shaky shots with the Q than I have ever had with the XV or M9 under same shooting situations, landscapes or still life targets...

My Sigma DN Arts for Sony E-Mount rattle when the power is off. While they don't have image stabilization, Sigma told me the rattling are the optical elements suspended inside an electromagnetic field that activates when powered on.

Just noticed that. When camera is on rattles stops.

anyways, I don't see why a 28mm would need a image stabilizer.

-- hide signature --

www.rodriguezahr.com

Paul20
Paul20 Senior Member • Posts: 2,809

Ha ha take lots of batteries though

Paul

Paul20's gear list:Paul20's gear list
Leica SL2 Leica M9 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4
jcespite Regular Member • Posts: 291

I believe the stabilization should be set to off for pictures and used for video only.  I read that somewhere on one of the reviews.

jcespite's gear list:jcespite's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS OnePlus 3 +1 more
ricky1981 Regular Member • Posts: 307

Rattle is totally normal, I've not owned a camera or lens with stabilization that doesn't rattle. If you read up on how those systems work, it'll be clear why it happens (and why you don't need to worry).

I leave it turned off on my Q unless I am shooting < 1/10s handheld or shooting video (which is very rare).

TheClueless
TheClueless Senior Member • Posts: 2,140

Rodrigue Zahr wrote:

historianx wrote:

Rodrigue Zahr wrote:

My Sigma DN Arts for Sony E-Mount rattle when the power is off. While they don't have image stabilization, Sigma told me the rattling are the optical elements suspended inside an electromagnetic field that activates when powered on.

Just noticed that. When camera is on rattles stops.

anyways, I don't see why a 28mm would need a image stabilizer.

Nearly sharp, 1/2sec handheld in the slight wind. Duh

TheClueless's gear list:TheClueless's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica M10 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV +80 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads