9-27mm NX Mini lens won't find focus

Started Apr 6, 2016 | Discussions
Kinger
Kinger Contributing Member • Posts: 542
9-27mm NX Mini lens won't find focus

Anyone have this happen? Just back from a Hawaii adventure and this was my compact setup. Towards the end of the trip the 9-27 started struggling finding focus and then failed to find focus all together. It was a tough trip for cameras. That one failed me and my trusty compact Panasonic waterproof flooded. Fortunately both happened towards the end of the trip. My NX1 was the only one that did not fail me!

Trying to file an online warranty claim and I keep getting an error. Not impressed with the warranty process so far.

Frustrated since this has gotten such little use.

Kinger's gear list:Kinger's gear list
Samsung NX300 Canon EOS M5 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Samsung NX mini Samsung NX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kinger
OP Kinger Contributing Member • Posts: 542
Re: 9-27mm NX Mini lens won't find focus

Kinger wrote:

Anyone have this happen? Just back from a Hawaii adventure and this was my compact setup. Towards the end of the trip the 9-27 started struggling finding focus and then failed to find focus all together. It was a tough trip for cameras. That one failed me and my trusty compact Panasonic waterproof flooded. Fortunately both happened towards the end of the trip. My NX1 was the only one that did not fail me!

Trying to file an online warranty claim and I keep getting an error. Not impressed with the warranty process so far.

Frustrated since this has gotten such little use.

I figured out what is wrong with the lens. It seems the internal focal length indicator is out of position/calibration. The lens goes on prior to being fully extended. This lens functions similar to how the compact nx20-50mm functions where you have to extend it prior to use. So I think because this is giving a false signal to what focal length it is at it is therefore limiting the focus range to the incorrect focal length. So it is unable to obtain proper focus. I am reporting this back in case anyone else runs into it. Hope this is not a common quality issue.

Samsung NX300 Canon EOS M5 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Krazyheaven Regular Member • Posts: 411

Forgive me for not being able to offer any help but I reading this I found myself cheering the nx1 for overcoming a challenge that no other camera could meet.

brunorhm New Member • Posts: 1

Hi!, You figure out how to resolve it? My Samsung NX mini seems to have the exactly same problem, only focus on 27mm,  Really sad, the camera have 14 months, its like new.

nadatron New Member • Posts: 1

Can I ask how you resolved this issue? I am currently facing the exact same problem. My lens is only finding focus at 27mm

Kinger
OP Kinger Contributing Member • Posts: 542

nadatron wrote:

Can I ask how you resolved this issue? I am currently facing the exact same problem. My lens is only finding focus at 27mm

Unfortunately no resolution. I ended up selling off the camera and the lens(declared as not working). Very disappointing.

ppgflyer New Member • Posts: 1

I came across your post when looking for a solution to the same issue that my son was having with his Samsung NX mini.

I managed to fix the issue, hopefully it will remain fixed.

It requires small Phillips head screwdriver and some tweezers. If you have an optivisor (headband magnifier) that would help, but it's not absolutely necessary.

On the back of the lens, remove the inner ring, the screws holding the contacts and the outer ring. This will give you access to the pcb header that the contact assembly ribbon cable is plugged in to.

On the opposite side to where the cable enters the header, on the pcb connector is a small brown clip, it is used to lock the cable in to the header. Lift up on the edge farthest away from the cable, it should just hinge up. You can now easily remove the contact assembly ribbon cable.

Carefully clean the contacts with a alcohol swab and wipe dry. Now the tricky part, lift the edge of the main PCB where the ribbon cable came from and carefully insert the end of the ribbon cable back into the header,  then push the part that hinged up back flat locking the cable back in place.

Re-assemble your lens and hopefully it will work properly.

I hope this is of help to you and any others that have the same issue with this camera lens.

Regards,

Greg.

sillycornlotty
sillycornlotty Regular Member • Posts: 183

ppgflyer wrote:

I came across your post when looking for a solution to the same issue that my son was having with his Samsung NX mini.

It requires small Phillips head screwdriver and some tweezers. If you have an optivisor (headband magnifier) that would help, but it's not absolutely necessary.

On the back of the lens, remove the inner ring, the screws holding the contacts and the outer ring. This will give you access to the pcb header that the contact assembly ribbon cable is plugged in to.

On the opposite side to where the cable enters the header, on the pcb connector is a small brown clip, it is used to lock the cable in to the header. Lift up on the edge farthest away from the cable, it should just hinge up. You can now easily remove the contact assembly ribbon cable.

Carefully clean the contacts with a alcohol swab and wipe dry. Now the tricky part, lift the edge of the main PCB where the ribbon cable came from and carefully insert the end of the ribbon cable back into the header, then push the part that hinged up back flat locking the cable back in place.

I hope this is of help to you and any others that have the same issue with this camera lens.

Regards,

Greg.

Im expenicing the same problem with my NX mini. Will give a try tonight to fix it tonight, hope it works.

I bought this camera a year ago for my girlfriend and she rarely uses it, dont know why that kind of problem would occur despite of low usage.

sillycornlotty's gear list:sillycornlotty's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 +2 more
ajcairns New Member • Posts: 1

Thanks for the great tip. Got my NX mini working properly again

Mythrakis New Member • Posts: 1

I really appreciate your detailed post on how to fix this NX Mini issue. I also encountered the issue where it says "rotate the zoom ring to unlock the lens." at any zoom. It was first only an issue at the 9-13 range. Then within a couple days I couldn't get it to take a picture at all anymore.

I tried your fix, which is a big heart-wrenching at first, as I haven't opened this relatively new baby yet. I didn't have alcohol but just wiped the contact assembly ribbon cable with an ear swab and reinserted it, which solved the issue. I am very thankful that I found this thread before sending it in for repair.

kugig New Member • Posts: 1

Hello,

I solved the problem for my camera. The problem is that one of the pins between the camera and the lens wont come out.

When you look at the camera when the lens is not mounted you can see these golden pins. In my case some of the pins wont snap out. The solution is: Before you mount the lens have a look at all pins. If one pin is stuck you need to release it manually with the finger nails or a screw driver.

Since I made this I never had any issues again.

Regards

BennyG9 New Member • Posts: 1

I didn't fully understand what you were saying the first attempt I took. I came back to it and I found I was being dumb and not following your well put description.

I did it again and so far IT WORKS!!!

You have no idea how thankful I am to you!!!! I just spent the last 6 hours feeling beaten and broken with no shred of help from anywhere on the internet. My options were becoming, trying to find a camera fix shop near me(of which I do not have the time or money for) or buying a whole new camera despite not having the funds for this especially.

You are a god sent!!!!

Thank you!!!!!

I honestly cannot explain how much this means to me! I created a whole account on this website just to thank you because you really are awesome!!!

Thank you again!!!

-Ben

noncho
noncho Regular Member • Posts: 347

ppgflyer wrote:

Carefully clean the contacts with a alcohol swab and wipe dry. Now the tricky part, lift the edge of the main PCB where the ribbon cable came from and carefully insert the end of the ribbon cable back into the header, then push the part that hinged up back flat locking the cable back in place.

Regards,

Greg.

I almost forgot that I have NX mini with such problem, until I read this one and tried.

It just works, thank you for sharing this solution!

Noncho

-- hide signature --

www.NonchoILiev.com

noncho's gear list:noncho's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +11 more
jbuckler88 New Member • Posts: 1

AHHH I have been waiting for 2 years for someone to figure this out!! Id almost given up but it was such an expensive camera I couldnt let go. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Im literally going to post this link to all of the other blogs of people trying to solve this problem.

this is with the cable already disconnected, once you open your own lens you'll be able to compare to this to see what to do to yours!

M_digicapt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,278

jbuckler88 wrote:

AHHH I have been waiting for 2 years for someone to figure this out!! Id almost given up but it was such an expensive camera I couldnt let go. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Im literally going to post this link to all of the other blogs of people trying to solve this problem.

this is with the cable already disconnected, once you open your own lens you'll be able to compare to this to see what to do to yours!

Thanks for posting the pictures! For future reference... Where does the cable go? In the white plastic conector on the left or the bottom one?

DPR-Kat New Member • Posts: 1

kugig wrote:

Hello,

I solved the problem for my camera. The problem is that one of the pins between the camera and the lens wont come out.

When you look at the camera when the lens is not mounted you can see these golden pins. In my case some of the pins wont snap out. The solution is: Before you mount the lens have a look at all pins. If one pin is stuck you need to release it manually with the finger nails or a screw driver.

Since I made this I never had any issues again.

Regards

I only registered to say thank you to kugig for this solution - did the job for me, too!

I carefully pulled the small golden pins on the camera's body out one by one, with tweezers. Couldn't identify which of them might have been the problem, as optically and haptically, no pin seemed to be stuck - but the NX does focus again, now! Very happy. I am also grateful for the other solution offered and would have tried that next, but somewhat glad I don't have to disassemble that far in my case...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads