RX1r, Shadows with House

Started Apr 4, 2016 | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,650
RX1r, Shadows with House

Late evening sun/shadows on a favorite house.

Why + 0.7 ev you might ask? I needed that for a backlit shot of Ava earlier, and forgot that was how it was set. I need better discipline. I had to cut the heck out of the highlights, then boost the shadows a speck.

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400
Actually,

That +.7 gave you better details in the shadows. The white paint clipping isn't that bad. Nice photos! BTW, I've also forgotten a number of times to return settings to normal shooting parameters. For a few days I was disgusted enough with myself to shoot in Green Auto. With its automatic scene and subject recognition, and Auto DR it has sometimes brought surprising results.

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 38,839
Re: Actually,

Lightpath48 wrote:

That +.7 gave you better details in the shadows. The white paint clipping isn't that bad. Nice photos! BTW, I've also forgotten a number of times to return settings to normal shooting parameters. For a few days I was disgusted enough with myself to shoot in Green Auto. With its automatic scene and subject recognition, and Auto DR it has sometimes brought surprising results.

When I visited Gunnison Nat Park I shot the whole time in MFNR mode...was kinda hard to salvage the shots.....

see the shots

-- hide signature --

"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
Click for Wild Man's Photos

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne
Re: RX1r, Shadows with House

elliottnewcomb wrote:

It may  be your favorite home "to look at" but living in it must be a Full-Time Cleaning job???

Why + 0.7 ev you might ask? I needed that for a backlit shot of Ava earlier, and forgot that was how it was set. I need better discipline. I had to cut the heck out of the highlights, then boost the shadows a speck.

Elliott

While the shadow photos are nicely exposed I think you need to think about your compositions a little more, Elliott.

For instance I would have made the 2 trees equally balanced on the house in the 2nd pic.

Tried to shoot from furthur on the left in the 1st pic.

And the tree in the 3rd pic is just distracting

A little criticism is a learning experience

Now Go back and do them over.....

-- hide signature --

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more

Bill Borne wrote:

Lightpath48 wrote:

When I visited Gunnison Nat Park I shot the whole time in MFNR mode...was kinda hard to salvage the shots.....

see the shots

Sorry, but what's MFNR mode?  Do you mean manufacturer's mode, or manual focus, noise reduction mode, or what?  Thanks

Bill Borne

Lightpath48 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Lightpath48 wrote:

see the shots

Sorry, but what's MFNR mode? Do you mean manufacturer's mode, or manual focus, noise reduction mode, or what? Thanks

Auto ISO Multi Frame Noise Reduction which I like to use Indoors without flash

read about it here

-- hide signature --

OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,650

Bill Borne wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

It may be your favorite home "to look at" but living in it must be a Full-Time Cleaning job???

A favorite, because of it's location up high to catch the late afternoon, evening light. Many favorites, and when more mobile, more favorites in other parts of town. We have (I seem to remember) 6 separate Historic Districts in Plainfield.

Forget cleaning, how about maintaining these? This one was put in shape for sale not long ago.

Elliott

While the shadow photos are nicely exposed I think you need to think about your compositions a little more, Elliott.

For instance I would have made the 2 trees equally balanced on the house in the 2nd pic.

Tried to shoot from furthur on the left in the 1st pic.

And the tree in the 3rd pic is just distracting

A little criticism is a learning experience

Now Go back and do them over.....

You bring the chain saw to remove the telephone poles, and a steam-shovel and dump truck to move the giant piles of broken branches along the curb waiting for pickup. Notice, we had a wind storm the night before, new broken branches on the lawn. The property is huge, big carriage house in the back. Luckily, no cars near the house in the driveway. The left porch is a bit sloppy.

The first shot, at original size, view the detail and sharpness of the tree on the right, love it.

I was thinking how different m3 24mm would have been, I will go back.

didn't bother with this, I might have walked up the driveway to get the Carriage House, but there are trees, then cars between me and it. A 2nd side driveway, on the side street, goes to the front of the Carriage House, but cars, so... And, it was not a photo outing, Donna was waiting in the car.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Well, those look pretty good

Bill Borne wrote:

Lightpath48 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Lightpath48 wrote:

see the shots

Sorry, but what's MFNR mode? Do you mean manufacturer's mode, or manual focus, noise reduction mode, or what? Thanks

Auto ISO Multi Frame Noise Reduction which I like to use Indoors without flash

read about it here

You have a nice technical set there.  What was it that was difficult to repair?  Clipped highlights would be one guess.

Re: Well, those look pretty good

thanks,

the sun was making part of the house bleach white, my beloved long shadows very strong, and I forgot I was shooting +.7.

So I had to cut the highlights quite a bit, then raise the areas in the shadows a bit.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 6,299

I saw "Shadows" and "House" in the title and said, "Ah, that must be Elliott.."

Upping shadows and dropping highlights is solid HDR technique, but whatever program you're using to do it is seriously not equipped; some heinous halos in there..

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max

SoCalWill wrote:

Upping shadows and dropping highlights is solid HDR technique, but whatever program you're using to do it is seriously not equipped; some heinous halos in there..

Well, Donna was waiting, I just drove by to see, I knew the light would be nice. This would have been a darn good one to see RX1r in-camera HDR for the first time. Next nice evening, IF....

I could have used PE 12, the darn Windows 10 viewer and PP is SOOOO damn easy, I use it daily for Donna's ebay photos. I forgot how they differed from my gravestone photo.

You guys would shoot this RAW and make the most of it, I am still seeing what I can do Jpeg OOC, and learning 35mm. I've never done more than cut highlights, lift shadows for anything I shoot.

Don't rush me, my 'Good Enough' is up a step with this lens/sensor, and increased SDOF capability.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bill Borne

SoCalWill wrote:

where do yo see the halos? I don't see any?

-- hide signature --

SoCalWill

Bill Borne wrote:

The trees are experiencing some sort of outgassing..

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
Foto4x4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,671

Bill Borne wrote:

Lightpath48 wrote:

see the shots

Oh Bill, who cares! What a great place Gunnison is. We went through there with our kids back in 1991. In those film days, you had to wait until your whole holiday was over before you realised simple oversights like that.

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +14 more

SoCalWill wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

The trees are experiencing some sort of outgassing..

Or moving in a breeze?

OOC Jpeg original

And Quickie Photoshop Elements 12 similar crop, high/shadow adjustments

Elliott

SoCalWill

No atmospheric phenomena in Lightroom:

-- hide signature --

I like learning, but this is getting tedious for some I am sure.

I don't see much in the trees, I easily see differences in the cornice crop, some is the software, some is the amount of adjustments

OOC, cornice cropped in PE12

Wills LR adjusted image cornice cropped in pe12

My pe12 adjusted image, cropped in pe12

my win10 viewer adjusted image, cropped in win10

I like the exposure adjustments of my orig win10 pp image

better than pe12 quickie

and definitely better than wills lr adjustments (cropped like the others)

If the lr was adjusted more to my liking, would more pp articacts appear?

The win10 viewer software is not best. It had highlights cut much more than the others. Because it is so easy, I think I made better decisions about how to adjust visually. pe12 was a quickie, if I spent more time with pe12 pp, it would be the one to use.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

SoCalWill

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I don't see much in the trees

Look at the sky behind the trees; in some of your edits, it is significantly lighter than elsewhere in the picture, as though the trees are glowing. The sky is uniform in my edit.

-- hide signature --

jw10 Contributing Member • Posts: 896

SoCalWill wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I don't see much in the trees

Look at the sky behind the trees; in some of your edits, it is significantly lighter than elsewhere in the picture, as though the trees are glowing. The sky is uniform in my edit.

I see what SoCalWill is seeing, I'm not sure how just lowering highlights and lifting shadows would do this, it seems to be something beyond altering the base curve going on with the edit.   I'd guess maybe a local contrast edit involved too?

BTW I don't mind all the back and forth commentary.   I learn a lot from threads like these.

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

jw10's gear list:jw10's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot S3 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
SoCalWill

jw10 wrote:

I'm not sure how just lowering highlights and lifting shadows would do this

Some software does it worse than others, LR does it the least of anything I've seen.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads