ZOOM Ring on 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 HD DA WR

Started Mar 31, 2016 | Discussions
Pinemoon Forum Member • Posts: 59
ZOOM Ring on 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 HD DA WR

Just got a deal on this lens from B&H used dept. (lens condition was listed as a "10") but wondering if anyone else who owns this lens can comment on how the zoom ring should feel. Mine has a distinct "bump" feeling between 50 and 85mm. It is more towards the 85mm. A slight resistance is felt before 85mm...feels like going over a bump. ...Pictures seem fine. Thank you in advance.

Pinemoon's gear list:Pinemoon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Pentax K-50
Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
briantrying Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: ZOOM Ring on 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 HD DA WR

Pinemoon wrote:

Just got a deal on this lens from B&H used dept. (lens condition was listed as a "10") but wondering if anyone else who owns this lens can comment on how the zoom ring should feel. Mine has a distinct "bump" feeling between 50 and 85mm. It is more towards the 85mm. A slight resistance is felt before 85mm...feels like going over a bump. ...Pictures seem fine. Thank you in advance.

Mine does the same, it's the mechanism moving the glass and tubes about. The 60-250mm does the same.

Brian

Valeriu 64
Valeriu 64 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,212

I have the same problem with my Pentax 18-135mm wr, and I bought new.

Regards, Valeriu

Valeriu 64's gear list:Valeriu 64's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +7 more
UtahManSir Veteran Member • Posts: 4,659

That is a normal part of the zoom function. Many lenses will have that sensation.

Hope you enjoy the lens I LOVE mine!

Lloyd

-- hide signature --

“For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong.” Henry Louis Mencken
http://lloydshell.blogspot.com/
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/
WSSA #354
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v41/p234497562-3.jpg

OP Pinemoon Forum Member • Posts: 59

Thanks to you both...sounds somewhat normal, I guess. Perhaps it's something to do with the WR seals (although my k50 kit lens is WR and is smooth throughout its range)... I am fairly new to Pentax -- loving it! -- and this 16-85mm is the first lens I've ever used with this "bump."

seventysixersfan
seventysixersfan Forum Member • Posts: 60

So it was you who bought that lens!  I was tempted for several days when I saw it for sale in the used section and when I finally decided to pull the trigger, it was gone!  Anyway, that's a great price you got on a condition 10 lens!  No optical problems that you can detect?  Congrats!

seventysixersfan's gear list:seventysixersfan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +25 more

Sorry you missed it. Yes, I feel pretty lucky! Got it for about half of the original debut price... Have used the lens a little bit, maybe 10-20 pictures. Things look good so far.

A couple low-light pics (reduced resolution), which is not supposed to be where this lens excels:

BrianC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,596

Pinemoon wrote:

I, just today, returned my DA 16-85 to Adorama...............I love this lens but, at times, when I start to zoom in a ring of film would catch as the zoom when out. Only happened 4-5 times but it looked like the old cassette tape material. Adorama was very gracious by allowing me to return for exchange after the 30 day period. I was out of state all month and they understood my dilemma completely.

I hope the next one is as sharp as this one...........

-- hide signature --

Brian

BrianC's gear list:BrianC's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR +1 more

Hmmm... Hope your experience was a rarity. Good that Adorama made things right.

BrianC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,596

Pinemoon wrote:

Hmmm... Hope your experience was a rarity. Good that Adorama made things right.

I only did this 4-5 times........I used it a lot on vacation and it hasn't happened since. Pentax advised me to send it back without considering otherwise. I'm sure it would happen in the future........

Hoping for a good one, it's a great lens.

-- hide signature --

Brian

BrianC's gear list:BrianC's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads