Breaking the 30 second barrier with a Pentax DSLR (Interval Composite Mode)

Started Mar 31, 2016 | Discussions
Wallace Ross
Wallace Ross Senior Member • Posts: 2,202
Breaking the 30 second barrier with a Pentax DSLR (Interval Composite Mode)

I wanted to share a method of creating long timed exposures with the Pentax K-3.  It looks like there is also a new 'Star Stream' composite mode in the upcoming K-1 but not to be left out here is a way to do something similar with the K-3 or K-3ii

http://wkoopmans.ca/notebook/?p=17523

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pixelsmithy Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: Breaking the 30 second barrier with a Pentax DSLR (Interval Composite Mode)

Thank you for sharing! In addition to your tripod-mounted examples, this is a neat way to painlessly get longer exposures for astrophotography when using a driven-telescope-piggybacked camera or a tracker like the Vixen Polarie.

-- hide signature --

Check out my (UPDATED 09-26-2015) Gallery! http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/355548730/photos/slideshow

pixelsmithy's gear list:pixelsmithy's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Wallace Ross
OP Wallace Ross Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

It certainly would cut down on the time spent processing images but the risk of getting an errant frame is increased this way and there is no recourse.  Thst being said I'm willing to give it a try.

-- hide signature --
mulveyr Regular Member • Posts: 367

I've been doing some star trails recently, and the issue with the interval having to be greater than the exposure length by several seconds annoyed me, since it left discernable gaps. Then I ran across a post elsewhere in which someone determined the minimum lapse required at a variety of shutter speeds, and discovered that while you need about 33 second intervals for the 30 second exposures, you need only 26 seconds for a 25 second exposure. I've tried it, and it seems to work quite well--I haven't run across any "missed" frames, like I occasionally did with the 30/33 second timings. The 1 second gap leaves a noticeably better image that the 3 second gap when doing long star trail sessions.

- Rich

mulveyr's gear list:mulveyr's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 +1 more
Wallace Ross
OP Wallace Ross Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

I had been using 20 seconds but I was using a two second gap I will try the one second and see how it works for me.  I think that its also a matter of how tightly packed the trails and gaps are it seems that the amount of movement in 30 seconds followed by a gap highlights it more than say 15seconds with the same gap.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads