D5 New Features and Issues

Started Mar 28, 2016 | Discussions
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,698
D5 New Features and Issues

This thread is intended to be a collection point for all manner of trivia regarding the new D5 - feature changes from previous models, any issues discovered, etc.

As I have already accumulated over 16,000 frames on my (now not so) new D5, I thought I would start with a few points that I've noticed (please excuse me if I include any that were actually introduced on other recent models, which I have not experienced).

High-ISO Image Quality, camera JPEGs:  You have to see it to believe it.  Enough said.

AF speed/consistency:  I am finding AF even more responsive than the D4, and it also seems more consistent from shot to shot.  When setting up AF fine tune, I do not see as much random variation.  The greatest challenge to AF that I find in the field, seems to be tracking a receding subject which has passed by fairly close to the camera, and although the D5 can still have problems here, it appears to recover more quickly.

New Advance Mode Control:  There is now an extra setting on the dial which then allows a new advance-mode button on the bottom control panel to select advance mode and frame rate, combined with the command dials.  This is nice as it allows on-the-fly changes and I can see using this to adjust frame rate for different classes of skaters in my photography.

LCD and Viewfinder display changes:  Due to the new advance mode control which takes over one of the bottom control panel buttons, the ISO button moves to the top by the shutter-release and display of ISO setting moves to the top LCD.  This is fine, but then the frame-count field has been lost from the top display and it's even missing from the viewfinder display.    If the camera is turned off, the top LCD ISO field changes to frame count, but that now seems to be the only way to see how many frames you've taken in the current folder!  Not good news for me, as I often rely on that number while shooting, to confirm that I've made folder-number changes correctly.  Some users may be consoled by the fact that the viewfinder will now show shots-remaining on the card.

Menu display of folder number:  The D5 shows the folder name "base" string, e.g. NC_D5, instead of the 3-digit folder number when you display this menu item.  You do not see the actual number until you select the menu item to make a change to it.  Since I normally access this from My Menu, I've adopted the workaround of putting the Playback Folder setting in My Menu; if this is set to "Current" it will immediately show the 3-digit folder number when I press the Menu button.

Folder names:  You can now edit the string appended to the 3-digit folder number, instead of being "stuck" with the factory default NC_D5.  This then allows you to add photos to folders created by other camera models (past Nikon cameras have disallowed selection of such folders as the working folder).  Also, you can select any other camera's folder from "Select Folder from List" but there is a gotcha:  If you do this, the camera then "adopts" the other camera's folder naming and will keep it if you create a new folder!  Can quickly lead to D5 aliases abounding if you're not paying attention . . .

Playback Image Numbering:  The folder-frame value shown in the upper right corner when viewing images in a folder now uses the image file numbers rather than the frame count.  For example, if you are viewing images in folder 152 which has 75 images in it, and the file names are DSC_1021 through DSC_1095, then you will see 152-1021 through 152-1095 in the upper corner, and not 152-001 through 152-075 as on previous models.

AF Fine Tune Default range:  I'm accustomed to the Default setting of AF fine tune for fast lenses on Nikon cameras, having much more range than the lens-specific setting.  This allows one to bring a lens into AF tune even if it has a very large offset.  On the D5, this is apparently no longer the case, and the Default adjustment range is the same as the lens-specific range.  I know this because my 70-200 VR II with 1.4x TC requires a +18 fine tune, regardless of whether I use the Default entry, or the entry specific to that lens combination.

Third-party lens issue:  I tried setting up AF fine tune for my Sigma 120-300/2.8, with and without the Sigma TC, but then discovered that the D5 doesn't recognize that the TC is present on that lens (which actually results in AF being unusable with the TC mounted).  This is probably a lens firmware issue, i.e., it's the lens not recognizing the D5.  Not sure whether Sigma will offer a firmware update to correct the problem, as my 120-300 model is rather old (pre-OS).

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

Nikon D4 Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,147
Re: D5 New Features and Issues

Thank you for sharing the feedback.

How noisy is the shutter ? Just curious.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,293

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Marianne Oelund wrote:

High-ISO Image Quality, camera JPEGs: You have to see it to believe it. Enough said.

No need anymore to spend time PP raw files, just learn how to use and fine tune picture control in combination with shooting banks? Eventually while shooting TIFF?

Kindest regards,

Stany

www.nikonuser.info

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.

StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D1X Nikon D2H Nikon D2X Nikon D1 +1 more
AndreasE Contributing Member • Posts: 909

Thanks for starting this thread Marianne and your initial comments.

My ongoing "logbook" of D5 experiences is here: http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3077.0.html

For your list:

XQD Card reader compatibility: The Sony XQD card reader supplied with the D5 seems (QDA-SB1A) to be not compatible with earlier Sony XQD cards (i.e. H-Series). The Sony MRW-E90 is.

Auto AF fine tune: Is not mentioned in the D5 user manual supplied in the box, but in the Menu Guide (page 110) - available as PDF download.

rgds, Andy

-- hide signature --
OP Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,698

StanyBuyle wrote:

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Marianne Oelund wrote:

High-ISO Image Quality, camera JPEGs: You have to see it to believe it. Enough said.

No need anymore to spend time PP raw files, just learn how to use and fine tune picture control in combination with shooting banks? Eventually while shooting TIFF?

Certainly the envelope of possibilities for camera files is expanding, and the D5 is giving a huge boost to the quality of images that I am delivering to my customers.  Ultimately, however, post processing will always offer creative options that no camera will by itself, even regarding some basic characteristics such as detail, white balance, etc.

-- hide signature --

- Marianne

RoyC01
RoyC01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,128

AndreasE wrote:

Thanks for starting this thread Marianne and your initial comments.

My ongoing "logbook" of D5 experiences is here: http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3077.0.html

For your list:

XQD Card reader compatibility: The Sony XQD card reader supplied with the D5 seems (QDA-SB1A) to be not compatible with earlier Sony XQD cards (i.e. H-Series). The Sony MRW-E90 is.

Old item carrying forward from D4S.

Auto AF fine tune: Is not mentioned in the D5 user manual supplied in the box, but in the Menu Guide (page 110) - available as PDF download.

rgds, Andy

-- hide signature --
 RoyC01's gear list:RoyC01's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +7 more
jeminijoseph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,550
Thanks for the comments

Marianne

Thanks a lot for your insightful thread and I always follow your invaluable threads here (even though some of them are too much for me to swallow :))

Marianne Oelund wrote:

This thread is intended to be a collection point for all manner of trivia regarding the new D5 - feature changes from previous models, any issues discovered, etc.

As I have already accumulated over 16,000 frames on my (now not so) new D5, I thought I would start with a few points that I've noticed (please excuse me if I include any that were actually introduced on other recent models, which I have not experienced).

Can we achieve same result in post processing RAW?

AF speed/consistency: I am finding AF even more responsive than the D4, and it also seems more consistent from shot to shot. When setting up AF fine tune, I do not see as much random variation. The greatest challenge to AF that I find in the field, seems to be tracking a receding subject which has passed by fairly close to the camera, and although the D5 can still have problems here, it appears to recover more quickly.

The issue I had with D4 and an other camera I have used the past including Canon 7DII is that at times the camera won't focus or even attempt at times. It can happen for still subject or tracking. I'm more interested in moving subjects (AKA BIF). I can clearly see the subject in the frame and it's under my focus point or one of the focus points. But the camera won't attempt to focus. Next frame could be in focus. In simple terms in a burst of 10-15 shots some images can be out of focus. There are bursts that I got all of them in focus.

Did you see any improvement in this? Is it related to contrast of the subject? I doubt it some times because a bright colored bird with enough texture can be a problem too.

New Advance Mode Control: There is now an extra setting on the dial which then allows a new advance-mode button on the bottom control panel to select advance mode and frame rate, combined with the command dials. This is nice as it allows on-the-fly changes and I can see using this to adjust frame rate for different classes of skaters in my photography.

LCD and Viewfinder display changes: Due to the new advance mode control which takes over one of the bottom control panel buttons, the ISO button moves to the top by the shutter-release and display of ISO setting moves to the top LCD. This is fine, but then the frame-count field has been lost from the top display and it's even missing from the viewfinder display. If the camera is turned off, the top LCD ISO field changes to frame count, but that now seems to be the only way to see how many frames you've taken in the current folder! Not good news for me, as I often rely on that number while shooting, to confirm that I've made folder-number changes correctly. Some users may be consoled by the fact that the viewfinder will now show shots-remaining on the card.

Menu display of folder number: The D5 shows the folder name "base" string, e.g. NC_D5, instead of the 3-digit folder number when you display this menu item. You do not see the actual number until you select the menu item to make a change to it. Since I normally access this from My Menu, I've adopted the workaround of putting the Playback Folder setting in My Menu; if this is set to "Current" it will immediately show the 3-digit folder number when I press the Menu button.

Folder names: You can now edit the string appended to the 3-digit folder number, instead of being "stuck" with the factory default NC_D5. This then allows you to add photos to folders created by other camera models (past Nikon cameras have disallowed selection of such folders as the working folder). Also, you can select any other camera's folder from "Select Folder from List" but there is a gotcha: If you do this, the camera then "adopts" the other camera's folder naming and will keep it if you create a new folder! Can quickly lead to D5 aliases abounding if you're not paying attention . . .

Playback Image Numbering: The folder-frame value shown in the upper right corner when viewing images in a folder now uses the image file numbers rather than the frame count. For example, if you are viewing images in folder 152 which has 75 images in it, and the file names are DSC_1021 through DSC_1095, then you will see 152-1021 through 152-1095 in the upper corner, and not 152-001 through 152-075 as on previous models.

I like this change.

AF Fine Tune Default range: I'm accustomed to the Default setting of AF fine tune for fast lenses on Nikon cameras, having much more range than the lens-specific setting. This allows one to bring a lens into AF tune even if it has a very large offset. On the D5, this is apparently no longer the case, and the Default adjustment range is the same as the lens-specific range. I know this because my 70-200 VR II with 1.4x TC requires a +18 fine tune, regardless of whether I use the Default entry, or the entry specific to that lens combination.

Third-party lens issue: I tried setting up AF fine tune for my Sigma 120-300/2.8, with and without the Sigma TC, but then discovered that the D5 doesn't recognize that the TC is present on that lens (which actually results in AF being unusable with the TC mounted). This is probably a lens firmware issue, i.e., it's the lens not recognizing the D5. Not sure whether Sigma will offer a firmware update to correct the problem, as my 120-300 model is rather old (pre-OS).

-- hide signature --

- Marianne

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jemini Joseph
http://wildbirdimages.com/

jeminijoseph's gear list:jeminijoseph's gear list
Nikon D500
StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,293
Sample pictures at high iso?

Sample pictures at high iso please? I think ice skating pictures would tell us a lot about both high iso quality, D5 colour rendition and DR...

Thanks in advance and kindest regards,

Stany

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.

StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D1X Nikon D2H Nikon D2X Nikon D1 +1 more
BobWorrell
BobWorrell Senior Member • Posts: 2,753

Thanks for sharing, have you tried, "Auto" AF fine tune?

BobWorrell's gear list:BobWorrell's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
AndreasE Contributing Member • Posts: 909
Re: How to set the D5 Auto AF fine tune

BobWorrell wrote:

I am not Marianne, but here is some info how to operate it. (It wasn't obvious to me)

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3077.msg45172.html#msg45172

rgds, Andy

-- hide signature --
BobWorrell
BobWorrell Senior Member • Posts: 2,753

AndreasE wrote:

BobWorrell wrote:

I am not Marianne, but here is some info how to operate it. (It wasn't obvious to me)

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3077.msg45172.html#msg45172

rgds, Andy

Thank you .

Bob W.

BobWorrell's gear list:BobWorrell's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
ZurichPhoto Contributing Member • Posts: 625

As this thread was designed to discuss D5 "trivia" -- just thought I'd throw this out there.

I've always purchased Giottos optical screen protection for my cameras, and I did so in anticipation of the D5. After it arrived I thought, "Hmmm, I wonder if this will screw up the touch screen capability." Something I never had too worry about before.

Well it turns out it has no impact it all. If you planned on buying one, go right ahead. I pinched and scrolled with and without the protective glass and there was no discernible difference.

They don't make a specific D5 labeled version yet, but the 5 has  the same screen size as the D800/D800E. For those interested it's Giottos model number SP 8321. AEGIS Pro Optical Glass Screen Protector. Fit is perfect.

ZurichPhoto's gear list:ZurichPhoto's gear list
Leica Q Nikon D5 Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +5 more
Dibyendu Majumdar Regular Member • Posts: 494

Hi Marianne,

Many thanks for your detailed analysis of the D5 - it is hugely appreciated!

I was wondering if you could shed some light on following:

a) Is the claim of 153 focus points true - i.e. it is not just a marketing trick?

b) Are there any improvements in accuracy when focusing lenses faster than f2.8?

Many thanks

Regards

Dibyendu

Yoyo163 New Member • Posts: 2

Hello there,

Quick questions, Doyon find the view finder Grid line at the focus area to be Fuzzy?

JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,691
Grid

Yoyo163 wrote:

[Do you] find the view finder Grid line at the focus area to be Fuzzy?

No, it's sharp all over. It's not a complete grid, though. which I would have liked. It does seem to allow the framing of square images.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Nikon D5 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
OP Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,698
AF fine tune range - correction

Marianne Oelund wrote:

AF Fine Tune Default range: I'm accustomed to the Default setting of AF fine tune for fast lenses on Nikon cameras, having much more range than the lens-specific setting. This allows one to bring a lens into AF tune even if it has a very large offset. On the D5, this is apparently no longer the case, and the Default adjustment range is the same as the lens-specific range. I know this because my 70-200 VR II with 1.4x TC requires a +18 fine tune, regardless of whether I use the Default entry, or the entry specific to that lens combination.

Apparently that wasn't a good check.

I've completed some careful testing using f/1.4, f/2.8 and f/4 lenses, and conclude that the D5 is indeed similar to older models.  With f/2.8 or faster lenses, the Default fine tune range is about 2.5x wider than the lens-specific range.  For f/4 lenses, it's about 1.5x wider.

-- hide signature --

- Marianne

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads