For GIMP users, here's how to get the NIK plugins to work in the GIMP.

Started Mar 26, 2016 | Discussions
lylejk
lylejk Forum Pro • Posts: 32,719
For GIMP users, here's how to get the NIK plugins to work in the GIMP.

First, you will need Shell Out.: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=970&p=17957#p17957

Now add the following lines to the Shell Out python script:

["DFine 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Dfine 2\\Dfine 2 (64-Bit)\\Dfine2.exe\"", "png"],

["Sharpener Pro 3", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Sharpener Pro 3\\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\\SHP3OS.exe\"", "png"],

["Viveza 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Viveza 2\\Viveza 2 (64-Bit)\\Viveza 2.exe\"", "png"],

["Color Efex Pro 4", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Color Efex Pro 4\\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\\Color Efex Pro 4.exe\"", "jpg"],

["Analog Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Analog Efex Pro 2\\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"],

["HDR Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\HDR Efex Pro 2\\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"],

["Silver Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Silver Efex Pro 2\\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"]

Note that the 4 stand-alone capable programs only accept jpeg inputs. You can export the result as TIFs if you really need to save lossless that processed layer. Jpeg, of course, will be sent back to the GIMP when you hit the save button. The other presets are not stand-alone and they can take PNG.

lylejk's gear list:lylejk's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7
SnowshoeLane
SnowshoeLane Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: For GIMP users, here's how to get the NIK plugins to work in the GIMP.

Thanks, lylejk for this info.

Now, for us dummies, can you explain a couple of things?

How do I know if my GIMP version has python? (I know they were developing toward it for a few years--can I assume the latest version includes it?)

What do I do with the shellout.py I downloaded? Unzip and double click? Or put it in some GIMP folder?

Do I open shellout in Notepad to edit/add the lines of code?

Basically--acck! Do you have some more detailed but simple instructions for the uninitiated? Thanks.

I've used GIMP for years, but never have gotten into the weeds of it. My books on it are pre-python.

Thanks.

J

SnowshoeLane's gear list:SnowshoeLane's gear list
Olympus SP-550 UZ Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D5600 +2 more
lylejk
OP lylejk Forum Pro • Posts: 32,719
If you have GIMP 2.8x, python for the GIMP should be installed by default.

DaveJK
DaveJK New Member • Posts: 24

There is a way of enabling Photo Shop plugins to work. Check out the link: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10559 That method got the NIK plugins to work with my 2.8.14 Gimp. It hasn't worked for me with the 2.9 versions supplied by Partha: http://www.partha.com/ . BTW, the 64 bit NIK filters don't work you have to use the 32 bit versions. At least I had to.

DaveJK's gear list:DaveJK's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
lylejk

From discussions at GIMPChat, only 3 of the NIK filters would work in the GIMP using PSPI.   Not sure why but suspect it has to do with how the stand-alone NIK filters work.   With Shellout, I got all of the NIK filters to work.    

Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 15,744

lylejk wrote:

First, you will need Shell Out.: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=970&p=17957#p17957

Now add the following lines to the Shell Out python script:

["DFine 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Dfine 2\\Dfine 2 (64-Bit)\\Dfine2.exe\"", "png"],

["Sharpener Pro 3", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Sharpener Pro 3\\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\\SHP3OS.exe\"", "png"],

["Viveza 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Viveza 2\\Viveza 2 (64-Bit)\\Viveza 2.exe\"", "png"],

["Color Efex Pro 4", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Color Efex Pro 4\\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\\Color Efex Pro 4.exe\"", "jpg"],

["Analog Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Analog Efex Pro 2\\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"],

["HDR Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\HDR Efex Pro 2\\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"],

["Silver Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Silver Efex Pro 2\\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "jpg"]

Note that the 4 stand-alone capable programs only accept jpeg inputs. You can export the result as TIFs if you really need to save lossless that processed layer. Jpeg, of course, will be sent back to the GIMP when you hit the save button. The other presets are not stand-alone and they can take PNG.

Lyle, the stand alone versions should be able to take jpeg and TIFF!

lylejk

If you double-click on one of the stand-alones, it only offers your jpeg as an option.  It' does allow you to export Tif though, but the way Shellout works, you can only retrieve back what you send it.   The work-around, of course is to save as while the stand-alone is running and export a Tif before exiting the stand-alone.    Clunky it may be, but, it works.   As a side note, I noticed that HDR's save doesn't return to GIMP the processed image so, for NIK HDR, you have to export your update  before exiting back to the GIMP.   The rest of the stand-alones such as Silver Efex will return the processed image back to the GIMP.    

Toermalijn

lylejk wrote:

If you double-click on one of the stand-alones, it only offers your jpeg as an option. It' does allow you to export Tif though, but the way Shellout works, you can only retrieve back what you send it. The work-around, of course is to save as while the stand-alone is running and export a Tif before exiting the stand-alone. Clunky it may be, but, it works. As a side note, I noticed that HDR's save doesn't return to GIMP the processed image so, for NIK HDR, you have to export your update before exiting back to the GIMP. The rest of the stand-alones such as Silver Efex will return the processed image back to the GIMP.

If i drag a file onto the shortcut of a NIK plug-in(stand alone) then it says i can use a jpeg or TIFF.

Probably the plug-in handler of GIMP is limited.

EDIT:

i just made a shortcut of color efex pro exe onto my desktop(64 bits) and dragged a TIF(100+ MB) on it, it opens just fine!

So, as a stand alone the plug-ins can open TIF, TIFF.

lylejk

Just verified the drag option, T. It will even do a PNG (even with transparencies). For Color Efex, you can pass TIF. For Silver Efex too, but do get an error box (but the layer gets processed). Cannot pass a png though. Still, happy about being able to pass tif. I guess, when I first saw the error box, I assumed it wouldn't work. No errors at all with jpeg. Thanks for the extra info, T. Now at least you can work with alpha channels too.  I'll pass it on to the other thread that I posted too.

Toermalijn

lylejk wrote:

Just verified the drag option, T. It will even do a PNG (even with transparencies). For Color Efex, you can pass TIF. For Silver Efex too, but do get an error box (but the layer gets processed). Cannot pass a png though. Still, happy about being able to pass tif. I guess, when I first saw the error box, I assumed it wouldn't work. No errors at all with jpeg. Thanks for the extra info, T. Now at least you can work with alpha channels too. I'll pass it on to the other thread that I posted too.

You're welcome, Lyle!

lylejk
Updated; added pre-sharpener too.

["Sharpener Pro 3 pre-sharpener", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Sharpener Pro 3\\Sharpener Pro 3 (64-Bit)\\SHP3RPS.exe\"", "png"],

["Color Efex Pro 4", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Color Efex Pro 4\\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\\Color Efex Pro 4.exe\"", "tif"],

["Analog Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Analog Efex Pro 2\\Analog Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Analog Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],

["HDR Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\HDR Efex Pro 2\\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],

["Silver Efex Pro 2", "\"C:\\Program Files\\Google\\Nik Collection\\Silver Efex Pro 2\\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\\Silver Efex Pro 2.exe\"", "tif"],

SnowshoeLane
Re: Updated; added pre-sharpener too.

I played for quite awhile, and got them to work in GIMP with Shellout once I figured out what to do with Shellout.

I have to say, I am underwhelmed by the Nik interface(s)--too dark (only the area around the actual photo seems to be customizable) with controls that are so small (and often appear grayed out though they still work) that they are almost impossible to see/read. Plus, sliders don't seem to work with the mouse wheel--you have to actually drag them. Unless I am missing something.

I tried them in several other programs, with either limited or zero success. But I learned new stuff about GIMP, so that's good. Thanks for the updated "code" for Shellout.

J

Olympus SP-550 UZ Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D5600 +2 more
lylejk

Thanks for the words.   I do like the Analog filter and Silver Efex presets, but I agree, it's not worth paying for but is for free.    

tear4 New Member • Posts: 1

For newbie...

follow this instructions http://bernhardhuber.blogspot.com/2013/05/using-niksoftware-in-gimp.html

1. Download the Gimp ShellOut plugin fromhttp://registry.gimp.org/node/24977, I downloaded ShellOut V 0.7.
  2. Put the ShellOut.py file to your plugin directory, for me this is C:\Users\{my-name}\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins
  3. Edit ShellOut.py in some texteditor (eg. notepad.exe) for configuring the NikSoftware Filters by modifying the programlist = [...] section, see snippet below.

Don' use notepad. Download a more advance text editor like sublime http://www.sublimetext.com/

Copy and paste the new plugin inside program list.

When u reopen GIMP, go to Filter.. if u edit correctly, u will see shellout in there somewhere (even if its grayed out).  If not, u need to re-edit shellout.py.

beachboui New Member • Posts: 1

SnowshoeLane wrote:

I played for quite awhile, and got them to work in GIMP with Shellout once I figured out what to do with Shellout.

Well, I guess I'm not as sharp as you are. I have no idea what to do with the Shellout file. Would you mind telling me what you did with Shellout to make the Nik Collection work? Thanks, in advance.

BB

lylejk

Below's a bitmap capture of my use for shellout. Since shellout depends on what programs you want to launch, yours will likely be different (but once you see this, I think you'll get the gist).

lylejk

Cool; I gave up on the registry search (hence linked from GIMPChat.  lol).   Also, I happen to like notepad.  

SnowshoeLane

I used Notepad. It worked.

Mostly, you need to get the code in the correct spot with the correct bracket placement and no extra commas. I had an extra comma at first that created a problem. (I used to program back in the middle ages, so I recognized the problem quickly.)

GIMP is giving me an error message, though, with some of the Nik filters--I think either GIMP or the Nik filter in use has a problem with Tiffs. But it still seems to work. I may switch the code to jpeg and see what happens.

J

SnowshoeLane

tear4 wrote:

For newbie...

follow this instructions http://bernhardhuber.blogspot.com/2013/05/using-niksoftware-in-gimp.html

1. Download the Gimp ShellOut plugin fromhttp://registry.gimp.org/node/24977, I downloaded ShellOut V 0.7.
  2. Put the ShellOut.py file to your plugin directory, for me this is C:\Users\{my-name}\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins
  3. Edit ShellOut.py in some texteditor (eg. notepad.exe) for configuring the NikSoftware Filters by modifying the programlist = [...] section, see snippet below.

Don' use notepad. Download a more advance text editor like sublime http://www.sublimetext.com/

Copy and paste the new plugin inside program list.

When u reopen GIMP, go to Filter.. if u edit correctly, u will see shellout in there somewhere (even if its grayed out). If not, u need to re-edit shellout.py.

For newbie--more info. Make sure GIMP is closed. Do the above and....

If I remember right, you double click the shellout.py folder and it opens (in Notepad for me). I copied and pasted the new code into the window and saved the file.

Open GIMP. Shellout will be grayed out in the GIMP filter menu unless you have an image file open.

HTH.

J

lylejk
Yes; if you use TIF, you will get error messages but...

.....the layer will be processed.   The reason I keep TIF is it supports alpha channel (jpegs don't).   If you don't like the errors and never intend to work with alpha channels, you can always choose the jpg option.  PNG won't work at all for the 4 presets mentioned.    

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads