Problem with A6000 firmware update

Started Mar 24, 2016 | Discussions
churchphotos New Member • Posts: 4
Problem with A6000 firmware update

I've been trying to update the firmware on my A6000, but with no luck.

I have the update download on my computer (Windows 10) and have set the camera's USB to Mass Storage.  I hook up the computer and the camera, hit NEXT on the dialogue and, after a minute or so, get a message that the updater can't find the camera.

Any ideas?  I have wi-fi turned off as part of an attempt to reduce battery drain.

Thanks in advance.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jrouss Regular Member • Posts: 217
Re: Problem with A6000 firmware update

In my experience this happens when I use a cable that did not come with the camera. For some reason this camera is really fussy about the USB cable. Did you use the original cable?

bdbits Regular Member • Posts: 260

You don't actually need the original USB cable, I am not sure where mine is and I used a generic cable as I always do and it works fine. Not to say it is not a bad cable, but...

If you just plug in the camera outside of the installer, does it show up as a drive in File Explorer? If not, I would get that working first as it is the same connectivity you need for the installer. Also once it detects the camera, there are further instructions in the dialog. Make sure you follow them as it is not just clicking Next until you are done.

bdbits's gear list:bdbits's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar +1 more
TimelordXYZ Contributing Member • Posts: 570

churchphotos wrote:

I have the update download on my computer (Windows 10) and have set the camera's USB to Mass Storage. I hook up the computer and the camera, hit NEXT on the dialogue and, after a minute or so, get a message that the updater can't find the camera.

Any ideas? I have wi-fi turned off as part of an attempt to reduce battery drain.

Thanks in advance.

If it can't find the Camera, you haven't turned the camera on

Turn the camera on before clicking NEXT on the computer

TimelordXYZ's gear list:TimelordXYZ's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +11 more
jrouss Regular Member • Posts: 217

That is great that your generic cable works and it is true you might get lucky and have a generic cable work but, if you want consistent success you should use the original cable or find a cable on amazon known to work with the a6000. I have at least five generic cables that do not when updating the firmware with the a6000 but, are fine with other devices. So, if the OP is using a generic cable finding the original cable most likely solve this issue.

OP churchphotos New Member • Posts: 4

TimelordXYZ wrote:

churchphotos wrote:

I have the update download on my computer (Windows 10) and have set the camera's USB to Mass Storage. I hook up the computer and the camera, hit NEXT on the dialogue and, after a minute or so, get a message that the updater can't find the camera.

Any ideas? I have wi-fi turned off as part of an attempt to reduce battery drain.

Thanks in advance.

If it can't find the Camera, you haven't turned the camera on

Turn the camera on before clicking NEXT on the computer

Some good advice and one that doesn't apply.  I"ve ordered a cable that's listed as working on the A6000 -- the original isn't available since I bought the camera used.

And the camera is definitely since I'm looking at the display (USB setting at Mass Storage) while the computer tries to find the camera for the update.

spytromics
spytromics Regular Member • Posts: 413

You might be onto something with the cable.  I tried to charge a battery in my a6300 with a regular cable and nothing happened.  Once I used the cable that came with the camera, the charging light came on.

spytromics's gear list:spytromics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +11 more
OP churchphotos New Member • Posts: 4

For all who made suggestions, thanks.

For the individual who suggested that the cable was the problem, a special thanks -- that was it!

I used a cable specific to the A6000 and its relatives (NEX-6, etc) and the update went without a hitch.

Thanks again.  PROBLEM SOLVED.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads