RX1r, Houses, better light, better skies

Started Mar 21, 2016 | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,544
RX1r, Houses, better light, better skies

Snowed last night, nice sky this AM, took these on way back from latest xray, hopefully the last. In Plainfield, even when the sky is high, if the trees are tall enough and/or close enough, you can still get great shadows on the far side of the street. It is trash day, so a few close clips were needed.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marc Aurele Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: RX1r, Houses, better light, better skies

I really like these houses ... You can only see these in USA

Marc Aurele's gear list:Marc Aurele's gear list
Sony RX100
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 4,947

Your preferred deep shadows style doesn't work so well if there's shadows all over the composition..

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax K-S2 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Apple iPhone 7 Plus
66GTO Senior Member • Posts: 2,689

I really like the bottom shot of this group.

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 +1 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,544

SoCalWill wrote:

Your preferred deep shadows style doesn't work so well if there's shadows all over the composition..

I have to agree with you on this one

I might keep it a bit darker though

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more

66GTO wrote:

It turned out to be one of my favorites too. It was hard, trash cans, cars, wires. I wish I had timed the position of the flag better as I did on the 5th one with the American Flag and it's reflection in the window. I was busy composing, didn't notice a breeze had picked up.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Marc Aurele wrote:

I really like these houses ... You can only see these in USA

I am glad you like them.

My town, Plainfield, NJ, has one of the largest collections of old homes in America. I will be showing more as spring blooms.

Some of these are English Tudors, not exactly invented here.

I viewed the originals, all except one, sharp, all corners terrific, I am loving this baby. I must have moved a speck on the one less sharp.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

SoCalWill

66GTO wrote:

I stared at that one for like five minutes trying to figure out why there was no step for the front door; two seconds into processing revealed why - it's not a front door, the entrance is below and to the side. Had no idea..

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 III Pentax K-S2 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Apple iPhone 7 Plus
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,178

Good shots of a very nice upscale neighborhood.  Glad you are continuing to enjoy your new camera!!

FWIW, I generally have to grab my shots under whatever conditions exist at the time.  Being afield, skies are a big part of the experience, but they often don't come though very well in photos or the sky is blank and boring, so I have whole collection of just sky images (all different kinds of clouds and lighting, etc) and I just plunk an appropriate sky into the image in post-processing.

For example, this sky is a total fake - it was raining and I wanted to convey that in the photo, but the sky was blank gray in the original image.  It's easy to do.

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more

I remember this photo, I thought, damn he's lucky with that sky, or very patient, or lives next door, not likely in your parts of the woods. You are really excellent at these old homes.

I thought it was cropped too close, and that it was due to the fixed 35mm. Having mine for a while, now I know better, that it was either your choice, you couldn't back up, or something ugly was just out of view. What's the story here?

It reminds me, I have to get the Moss off my roof! Son Chris to the rescue. Noting quaint about my Split Level's roof.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,178

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I remember this photo, I thought, damn he's lucky with that sky, or very patient, or lives next door, not likely in your parts of the woods. You are really excellent at these old homes.

I thought it was cropped too close, and that it was due to the fixed 35mm. Having mine for a while, now I know better, that it was either your choice, you couldn't back up, or something ugly was just out of view. What's the story here?

It reminds me, I have to get the Moss off my roof! Son Chris to the rescue. Noting quaint about my Split Level's roof.

And here I thought Elliott (the King of Crop) Newcomb would like a tightly cropped image...

That was one of my first efforts with the RX1r II and the framing was intentional.  I have some images from that day that are not so tightly framed, but I preferred the tight version.  This one, for example, has a completely different fake sky giving a different feel to the same day and time.

I hear ya about moss on the roof.  Living back in the woods, moss is a constant issue - it's probably 3" thick on the barn roof and I have it on the house as well.  I don't have the guts to climb up there to scrape it off and I'm too old - besides, that seems to damage the shingles - so I tell myself. 

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
jw10 Contributing Member • Posts: 895

Some really nice homes in that neighborhood.   Looks like the rosebud is starting to bloom.   Sigh, I love rosebud.   Glad you are enjoying your camera, it's capturing some nice images, with your help of course

Off - topic, how's your foot doing?   You are moving around again, I hope it's getting better quickly.

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

jw10's gear list:jw10's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot S3 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II

Birddogman wrote:

And here I thought Elliott (the King of Crop) Newcomb would like a tightly cropped image...

That was one of my first efforts with the RX1r II and the framing was intentional. I have some images from that day that are not so tightly framed, but I preferred the tight version. This one, for example, has a completely different fake sky giving a different feel to the same day and time.

I hear ya about moss on the roof. Living back in the woods, moss is a constant issue - it's probably 3" thick on the barn roof and I have it on the house as well. I don't have the guts to climb up there to scrape it off and I'm too old - besides, that seems to damage the shingles - so I tell myself.

Wonderful, the lack of shadows should have been a clue to the imported sky. In any case, I like it as you have it.

I was thinking about how bright SoCalWill would make it a better Histogram, so I decided to see what happens.

Viewing the Histogram, this is SUPPOSEDLY better. I much prefer your choice to keep it darker.

Often, when viewing Extra Large Icons of several shots of same subject, I think, the ones that look best in icon size also look best when editing the large ones. I think that is partly true of compositions, but, brighter icons, which are identifiable at that size, as this one is, look washed out at large or full sized to me.

With this new camera's dynamic range, he has me thinking about it.

Looking at my house shot icons, the last one, that 66GTO likes, is the most recognizable at that size, composition, roof line against the sky, not too bright, but, the contrast of the house materials also works to it's easier recognition.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

SoCalWill

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I was thinking about how bright SoCalWill would make it a better Histogram, so I decided to see what happens.

That image is already extremely processed and represents the editor's creative vision, which is why I didn't touch it the first time 

-- hide signature --

jw10 wrote:

Some really nice homes in that neighborhood. Looks like the rosebud is starting to bloom. Sigh, I love rosebud. Glad you are enjoying your camera, it's capturing some nice images, with your help of course

Off - topic, how's your foot doing? You are moving around again, I hope it's getting better quickly.

thanks for asking. I am limited now to drive bys, get out, shoot, back in the car.

dr appt tomorrow, and he is 1-1/2 blocks from b&h, a visit is planned, cheapo cap to replace the damnable sony cap, some adjustable wrist straps, play with oly's new .8x wide conversion lens, think about filters for RX1r, think about bag to fit Stylus 1 with tele lens, and RX1r.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

deafbuzz
deafbuzz Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
please don't hate me for saying that...

Birddogman wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

elliot, when your title mentioned, "RX1r, Houses, better light, better skies". i understand what you meant by that blue sky make house look good and pop out as pro.

but sunny day has created the harsh shadow on the house by tree is distracted as con. that is why i rather pray for a little white cloud to move blocking the sunny for few minutes so i can capture it as much i could. that is 5% chance to happen. it could be safe for me to have lousy weather with cloud to give me nice lighting diffuser as proto remove any harsh shadow. i like what grey had done a good job to show brick without no harsh shadow. because it is easy for me to photoshop adding blue sky with cloud whatever float my boat later than correcting or removing the harsh shadow of tree on the bricks house is difficult task. just saying but please don't hate me for being bold.

if you want to capture the house with blue sky without having hash shadow on it then it is possible for you to wait and to see what it looks like in one hour before dusk. sometime, it happens to look good without harsh shadow.
------------------
cuong aka buzz
------------------
carl zeiss lenses do matter to me
------------------
zeissfolio.viewbook.com

deafbuzz's gear list:deafbuzz's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 36,308

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Snowed last night, nice sky this AM, took these on way back from latest xray, hopefully the last. In Plainfield, even when the sky is high, if the trees are tall enough and/or close enough, you can still get great shadows on the far side of the street. It is trash day, so a few close clips were needed.

Elliott, You ever hear back from rick?

All great photos BTW

-- hide signature --

"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
Click for Wild Man's Photos

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more

Bill Borne wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Elliott, You ever hear back from rick?

All great photos BTW

Glad you like them,

-- hide signature --

"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
Click for Wild Man's Photos

Yes, I wrote the answer, you must have missed it,

Ric & I emailed, he is fine, just crazy busy all over Australia with a new line of Volvo Trucks.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Re: please don't hate me for saying that...

deafbuzz wrote:

Birddogman wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

elliot, when your title mentioned, "RX1r, Houses, better light, better skies". i understand what you meant by that blue sky make house look good and pop out as pro.

but sunny day has created the harsh shadow on the house by tree is distracted as con. that is why i rather pray for a little white cloud to move blocking the sunny for few minutes so i can capture it as much i could. that is 5% chance to happen. it could be safe for me to have lousy weather with cloud to give me nice lighting diffuser as proto remove any harsh shadow. i like what grey had done a good job to show brick without no harsh shadow. because it is easy for me to photoshop adding blue sky with cloud whatever float my boat later than correcting or removing the harsh shadow of tree on the bricks house is difficult task. just saying but please don't hate me for being bold.

Anybody can say and do anything they want to/about my images, I always enjoy learning much here. Following is not justification of what is correct, just my more casual approach.

I meant better light and sky than the gray day I went out to shoot for first time to begin to learn the camera. As Greg and you say, if I learn to import sky, those photos would be improved. You guys take photos that you intend to work on, I don't. I capture opportunities, next. This camera may push me over the edge to RAW PP, time will tell, but don't hold your breath.

The big deal for me: I am quite happy I can hold steady at 1/80th with no IS, and find level easily.

Not being defensive, but it's funny, because, for me, these are photos of shadows as much as textures, patterns, colors, yes the houses are interesting, but .... one of the unique things about Plainfield is it's commitment to so many trees, after 2 recent hurricanes, a great many still remain, new ones are planted,

What bothers me is where that big shadow is on that house, covers the entry, over to the right would be better. Yes, you, and Will make a good point, some shots, too much distracting shadow. I could have waited, or gone back if it was a planned shoot. I could have waited for a different set of clouds also. Earlier, the busier tops of the trees might be on the roof, not the front, a simpler look.

if you want to capture the house with blue sky without having hash shadow on it then it is possible for you to wait and to see what it looks like in one hour before dusk. sometime, it happens to look good without harsh shadow.

Timing, I love early and late long shadows, but must be a non-trash pick up working day, must wait till after people go to work, move their cars, about 9:30 am earliest; then, in the afternoon, when long shadows on the other side of the street, but, again, before cars return, before lawn movers get going, yes, hour before dusk is wonderful, and I will plan a shoot when more spring appears. The houses help distract from the fact that trees, plants, are scrubby now.

Today, returning from the body shop, camera with me, 1:30 pm, sun was high, shadows missing, houses harshly bright, I didn't take a single shot. Blueish sky, no good clouds like yesterday.

Correction, I took a photo of Shakespeare's Garden, nothing there but some scruffy daffodils now, but, I wanted to see how far away I needed to be with 35mm to get it's full width. Then, I will crop, just to see how much I can crop this sensor. Seems I had to back up as far as the full width I wanted, I will pay more attention to that so I can plan views of shots and be in position sooner.

-- hide signature --

cuong aka buzz
------------------
carl zeiss lenses do matter to me
------------------
zeissfolio.viewbook.com

Driving around, it's the strong light on the textures, and the strong shadows that catch my eye. That's the real experience I so much enjoy. I should time the light better, I have in the past, this was not timed, just took a few along the route while coming back from xrays of foot for dr appt tomorrow. To find some houses on the side of the street with shadows, at that time of day, the trees had to be both tall and close.

You might have turned around and shot the other side of the street, and had photos of houses.

Yesterday, I almost drove up Watchung Mountain (a hill if you know mountains), to Washington Rock, where General George Washington watched the English Ships in the NYC harbor and Hudson River. Actually, with short buildings of those times, I suppose they could have seen the masts of the east river also. The view is from about 60th street, full sweep of downtown, Verazanno bridge, Staten Island, the Atlantic Highlands, NJ, inland, nearby towns, across to New Brunswick, left to Dunellen, NJ.

The sun sets behind you, in the west, and you are viewing NYC skyline, and timed right you get nice reflections of the sunset in the buildings. The air was clean from the snow the night before, the trees are bare of leaves, visibility would have been awesome, but, the light changed, ..... I watched my Korean Dramas. I would have used a tripod I swear.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

jw10 Contributing Member • Posts: 895
I think shadows are important

I remember my music theory teacher talking about how good music must contain elements of silence, it is the contrast of sound that makes it interesting.   The yin/yang that surrounds us can be found in everything.

I looked at your house picture, and what I thought of was "what's the story", and one thing that popped into my head was it's not about the house, it's about the shadow of the tree on the house.   Here's a crop that changes the image to emphasize my point:

I think it's cool that we can all find different messages in the same music, poetry, songs, images!

-- hide signature --

Jeff (aka jw10)

jw10's gear list:jw10's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot S3 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads