New Sigma 10 -20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon MF only issue

Started Mar 21, 2016 | Discussions
Kniiip New Member • Posts: 4
New Sigma 10 -20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon MF only issue

Hello,

I just bought an Sigma 10-20mm in the shop today. I have tested the lens in the shop on a D5500 and it worked great. So when I got home I put the lens on my D5300 and the AF was not detected. The camera put the MF in light grey and I cannot change it to AF.

When I tried the lens on my old D50, the autofocus worked fine again. So I tried it back on the D5300 and still no AF. The lens works on the D5300, I can change the aperture form the camera. It is just the AF that doesn't work.

So I searched on the internet and I found some issues with the AF not working on the D5300 with live view on. So I tried it with and without live view, but still AF only. I have done a factory reset of the camera but still nothing.

Then I removed the lens and put it back on without turning off the camera and suddenly the AF function worked. So I took one picture, but after the picture was taken it went back to MF only.

So sometimes the AF works when I put on the lens with the camera turned on (but not always), but it just works for one picture or until I switch the camera off.

I have not seem to find anyone on the internet with the same issue, so I came here for help.

I have tried several other lenses on the camera and they all work fine. I don't have an other Sigma, but I tried multiple Nikon lenses and a Tamron.

I guess I have to take the lens back to the shop tomorrow, I cleaned the connections between the camera and the lens. Does anyone know this problem?

Firmware is:

C: 1.01 / L 2.009

thanks!

Nikon D50 Nikon D5300 Nikon D5500 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,200
Re: New Sigma 10 -20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon MF only issue

Kniiip wrote:

Hello,

I just bought an Sigma 10-20mm in the shop today. I have tested the lens in the shop on a D5500 and it worked great. So when I got home I put the lens on my D5300 and the AF was not detected. The camera put the MF in light grey and I cannot change it to AF.

When I tried the lens on my old D50, the autofocus worked fine again. So I tried it back on the D5300 and still no AF. The lens works on the D5300, I can change the aperture form the camera. It is just the AF that doesn't work.

So I searched on the internet and I found some issues with the AF not working on the D5300 with live view on. So I tried it with and without live view, but still AF only. I have done a factory reset of the camera but still nothing.

Then I removed the lens and put it back on without turning off the camera and suddenly the AF function worked. So I took one picture, but after the picture was taken it went back to MF only.

So sometimes the AF works when I put on the lens with the camera turned on (but not always), but it just works for one picture or until I switch the camera off.

I have not seem to find anyone on the internet with the same issue, so I came here for help.

I have tried several other lenses on the camera and they all work fine. I don't have an other Sigma, but I tried multiple Nikon lenses and a Tamron.

I guess I have to take the lens back to the shop tomorrow, I cleaned the connections between the camera and the lens. Does anyone know this problem?

Firmware is:

thanks!

Maybe this helps?:

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/new_topic.php?id=402

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

OP Kniiip New Member • Posts: 4

Patco wrote:

Kniiip wrote:

Hello,

Firmware is:

thanks!

Maybe this helps?:

Thanks for the link, I don't see the D5300 compatible sticker on the sigma box. So it might be this issue. I will take it back to the store and keep this post updated in case someone else has the same issue.

I Beam Veteran Member • Posts: 3,437

Kniiip wrote:

Patco wrote:

Kniiip wrote:

Hello,

Firmware is:

thanks!

Maybe this helps?:

Thanks for the link, I don't see the D5300 compatible sticker on the sigma box. So it might be this issue. I will take it back to the store and keep this post updated in case someone else has the same issue.

I have the same lens but I bought it about 5 years ago at a guess. My copy works perfectly on a D5300 in viewfinder mode. I have never tried it in live view.

Hopefully the store will let you try another copy. Maybe it is just a mismatch in the contacts between your particular camera and lens.

Regards

Paul

jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,315

Kniiip wrote:

Patco wrote:

Kniiip wrote:

Hello,

Firmware is:

thanks!

Maybe this helps?:

It appears the source of the issue has been solved! BTW I use this Sigma lens on my D7000 and AF works well in viewfinder mode and in Live View as well.

A few sample images shot with the my Sigma 10 -20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM

- Jon

Kniiip wrote:

Patco wrote:

Kniiip wrote:

Hello,

Firmware is:

thanks!

Maybe this helps?:

It has been a strange day over here in Belgium. But after work I stopped at the shop to let them take a look at the problem. The employee at the store tried some other lenses and every single lens worked fine on my camera. Then she went to the back of the store and took another Sigma 10-20m lens. And that one had exactly the same problem.

She tried the lens on some other Nikon camera's and it worked fine (she didn't have a D5300 in stock). So it is just one problem between (my) D5300 camera and that type of lens.

I left my camera at the store and tomorrow morning their technichian will take a look at the camera and lens. I will keep this updated because I can't find any info on the internet about this specific problem.

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,200

Kniiip wrote:

Kniiip wrote:

Patco wrote:

Kniiip wrote:

Hello,

Firmware is:

thanks!

Maybe this helps?:

It has been a strange day over here in Belgium. But after work I stopped at the shop to let them take a look at the problem. The employee at the store tried some other lenses and every single lens worked fine on my camera. Then she went to the back of the store and took another Sigma 10-20m lens. And that one had exactly the same problem.

She tried the lens on some other Nikon camera's and it worked fine (she didn't have a D5300 in stock). So it is just one problem between (my) D5300 camera and that type of lens.

I left my camera at the store and tomorrow morning their technichian will take a look at the camera and lens. I will keep this updated because I can't find any info on the internet about this specific problem.

Aside from the link directly from Sigma above, here are a few more links on the compatibility issue:

Thom Hogan - The Nikon Sigma Kerfuffle

Some Sigma Lenses are Incompatible with New Nikon DSLRs

Sigma fixes Nikon D5300 lens compatibility issues

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Mister Spock
Mister Spock New Member • Posts: 13

Hi.

Just had this with my D5500. Nikon advise it as being caused by firmware update which is permanent and cannot be rolled back.

Good news is that Sigma should be able to update the firmware (need to send it back to them). If in warranty should be no cost. Mine was bought on eBay so is going to cost me £37.99.

Email: service@sigma-imaging-uk.com

Mister Spock's gear list:Mister Spock's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more

Thanks for the info. The update dock from Sigma does not support this lens. So the store told me that they had to send the lens to sigma. But it would take at least 3 weeks to get it back.

I bought the lens mainly for a roadtrip trough the south west and was afraid I wouldn't get it back in time. So I'm in Las Vegas for the moment with only manual focus on the Sigma. But the store will send it to Sigma under warranty, when I'm back in Belgium in a few weeks.

bolador Contributing Member • Posts: 537

Using an Ultra wide in MF is not a problem. I have a Tokina 11 16 not the sigma .. but on trips you will end using it in MF and a medium high f/stop. Have in mind common hiperfocal distances and it'll be really easy to use the lens that way.. easier that having to select a focus point across the masive field of view at 10mm..  (don't rely on auto selection)...

What I mean is that you will be fine with MF. Of course if you can get your lens firmware upgraded is a good thing to do..

bolador's gear list:bolador's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX
richardspain New Member • Posts: 3

Hi, did you ever solve the issue with your Sigma lens. I have exactly the same problem and was wondering what to do.

Mister Spock
Mister Spock New Member • Posts: 13

Hi.

Apologies for the late response, only just found your post.

Yes, I had this issue with two Sigma lenses, and I did solve the problem. If you contact Sigma Support, they can re-chip your lenses (basically just updating the firmware).

If you have the original purchase receipt, then they will do it FOC, you only have to pay postage. However, if like me you purchased the lenses used (eBay) then you have to pay about £35 each lens.

Hope that helps.

Steve. ☺

Mister Spock's gear list:Mister Spock's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Roki303 Regular Member • Posts: 174

Had a similar issue with my old sigma 10-20. Sigma updated firmware for free (had to pay shipping to them only) and all is good now. Great service!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads