Nikon D5 Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) ... The New Low Light Champ

Started Mar 21, 2016 | Discussions
bclaff Veteran Member • Posts: 8,303
Nikon D5 Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) ... The New Low Light Champ

I have now measured measured the Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) of the Nikon D5 (shown here compared to the Nikon D4) (thanks to AndresE for the raw data)

This curve looks more Sony-like than any previous Nikon.
Some low ISO dynamic range has been traded off against extraordinary high ISO performance.

My Low Light ISO for the Nikon D5 is 6982 which beats the previous high of 6400 for the Phase One IQ250 by 0.13 stops.
You can see these values in the sort-able table below the PDR chart.

This type of design is not ISO-invariant at all. Note the Shadow Improvement (again compared to the D4) :

More measurements are required to better understand what's "under the hood" but it looks like a remarkable achievement.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at http://www.PhotonsToPhotos.net )

Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jvigano Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: Nikon D5 Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) ... The New Low Light Champ

Bill, how does that compare with the D3?

-- hide signature --

www.josevigano.com

OP bclaff Veteran Member • Posts: 8,303

jvigano wrote:

Bill, how does that compare with the D3?

I encourage people to follow the link to the interactive chart and play with it themselves.

In the case of the D5 and D3 you will see this:

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at http://www.PhotonsToPhotos.net )

logatom Regular Member • Posts: 146

Bill,

That's a great reading. Thanks for your quick and amazing (as always) effort.

Looks fantastic for high ISOs, but people caring more for a landscape performance will be a bit disappointed.

Greg

Bill,

I guess you're fine-tuning the measurements since I do not find the D5 on your interactive charts at this point.

thanks

Greg

logatom wrote:

Bill,

I guess you're fine-tuning the measurements since I do not find the D5 on your interactive charts at this point.

Thanks for the "heads up"
I'm having trouble uploading to my site right now and didn't know the update had failed.

-- hide signature --

logatom wrote:

Bill,

All set now. Thanks again for the "heads up".

-- hide signature --

OK, having a look.

StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,293

Hi Bill. Thanks for your work.

D5, do I see a crippled DR? +Back to 2007 D3 standards...

If so, I hope it isn't the case with D500(but I fear it will...)...

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.

StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D1X Nikon D2H Nikon D2X Nikon D1 +1 more

StanyBuyle wrote:

You are welcome.

That depends on your point of view.
Personally I think low ISO Dynamic Range (DR) is too high for many photographers and that this is a welcome trade-off between a very respectable low ISO DR and extraordinary high ISO performance.

Look how close we're getting to the "Ideal FX" performance:

If the D500 follows this same pattern then some may be disappointed but personally I may have to rethink holding on to my D7200.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

syberman7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,195

bclaff wrote:

StanyBuyle wrote:

You are welcome.

That depends on your point of view.
Personally I think low ISO Dynamic Range (DR) is too high for many photographers and that this is a welcome trade-off between a very respectable low ISO DR and extraordinary high ISO performance.

Look how close we're getting to the "Ideal FX" performance:

If the D500 follows this same pattern then some may be disappointed but personally I may have to rethink holding on to my D7200.

Regards,

According to your own chart, the Sony A7RII is the 'low light champ', and it has two more stops of DR at base ISO. In fact it even exceeds the ideal FX at higher ISOs. Of course it won't do 12-14 fps.

syberman7's gear list:syberman7's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
JasonED Contributing Member • Posts: 946

The high iso look impressive but I can't help but wonder if the low iso performance has been hampered by the need to support 4K...   Seems the read-out electronics have gotten noisier?

-- hide signature --

The sky is blue and there is nothing we can do..

syberman7 wrote:

According to your own chart, the Sony A7RII is the 'low light champ', and it has two more stops of DR at base ISO. In fact it even exceeds the ideal FX at higher ISOs. Of course it won't do 12-14 fps.

You seem confused by what is meant by "Low Light Champ", this is high ISO performance, not low ISO performance.
In terms of the charts, how far to the right a PDR of 6.5 is rather than how high the curve at it's maximum height.
(Like DxOMark Sports ISO Score rather than DxOMark Landscape Score)

-- hide signature --

steras Senior Member • Posts: 1,078
So my initial impressions were right

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57123902

Great work Bill. It is always very interesting to read about your analysis, thanks a lot!

steras's gear list:steras's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2H Nikon D5300 +13 more
Slugsworth
Slugsworth Regular Member • Posts: 280

logatom wrote:

Bill,

That's a great reading. Thanks for your quick and amazing (as always) effort.

Looks fantastic for high ISOs, but people caring more for a landscape performance will be a bit disappointed.

Greg

They ideal workaround is, (for those that can afford it)

would be to have both the D5 and the D810 for low ISO & landscape work.

Going one step further would be the triple crown of the D5, D810 and the D500 for ALL your needs.

Slugsworth's gear list:Slugsworth's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Sharlin
Sharlin Contributing Member • Posts: 516

logatom wrote:

Pretty sure the D5 (just like Canon's 1D(X) series) is meant to be a landscape shooter's camera. It's all about speed: ISO speed, burst speed, AF speed.

Sharlin's gear list:Sharlin's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Slugsworth
Slugsworth Regular Member • Posts: 280

Sharlin wrote:

logatom wrote:

Pretty sure the D5 (just like Canon's 1D(X) series) is meant to be a landscape shooter's camera. It's all about speed: ISO speed, burst speed, AF speed.

I think you mean "isn't"and yes, totally agree, having the D810 to fill that gap nicely

Slugsworth's gear list:Slugsworth's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Sharlin
Sharlin Contributing Member • Posts: 516

Slugsworth wrote:

I think you mean "isn't"and yes, totally agree, having the D810 to fill that gap nicely

Oops, thanks. Changed the phrasing and forgot to negate the verb

Sharlin's gear list:Sharlin's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
syberman7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,195

bclaff wrote:

syberman7 wrote:

You seem confused by what is meant by "Low Light Champ", this is high ISO performance, not low ISO performance.
In terms of the charts, how far to the right a PDR of 6.5 is rather than how high the curve at it's maximum height.

Maybe I worded that clumsily. The A7II has both better base ISO DR AND better high ISO DR according to your chart:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Ideal%20FX,Nikon%20D5,Sony%20ILCE-7RII

Thanks very much for the data by the way. All I'm debating is the interpretation.

syberman7's gear list:syberman7's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
FDD5 Regular Member • Posts: 204

syberman7 wrote:

bclaff wrote:

syberman7 wrote:

Maybe I worded that clumsily. The A7II has both better base ISO DR AND better high ISO DR according to your chart:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Ideal%20FX,Nikon%20D5,Sony%20ILCE-7RII

Thanks very much for the data by the way. All I'm debating is the interpretation.

I think with low light champ he means ; 'My Low Light ISO for the Nikon D5 is 6982 which beats the previous high of 6400 for the Phase One IQ250 by 0.13 stops.'

Whereas the a7RII has 5846

FDD5's gear list:FDD5's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Olympus E-M1 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads