RX1r, Spring Flowers

Started Mar 18, 2016 | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,641
RX1r, Spring Flowers
5

from my first day out. Jpeg, defaults, OOC, messing with SDOF

I didn't mess with any exposure PP, it wasn't great light, but I like the colors

the 2 shown in the other thread

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
deafbuzz
deafbuzz Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

elliottnewcomb wrote:

from my first day out. Jpeg, defaults, OOC, messing with SDOF

I didn't mess with any exposure PP, it wasn't great light, but I like the colors

the 2 shown in the other thread

yours already have flowers to grow early. i've not seen any flowers here to grow in minnesota yet today. still cold.

but thank for sharing these flowers. wow, your photos looked refresh enough for me to breath fresh.
------------------
cuong aka buzz
------------------
carl zeiss lenses do matter to me
------------------
zeissfolio.viewbook.com

 deafbuzz's gear list:deafbuzz's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
AlGor
AlGor Senior Member • Posts: 1,855
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

L O V E L Y !

Thanks for share Elliott>enjoy your new cam!

Al.

 AlGor's gear list:AlGor's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D750 +2 more
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 6,299
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

First one jumped to 1/2000th for some reason, way too dark. Fine subjects though..

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

 SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
John Kubler Regular Member • Posts: 305
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

Very nice collection, perfect time for spring flowers!

-- hide signature --

JMK

 John Kubler's gear list:John Kubler's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +12 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,641
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

Will,

You always make every image you adjust soooo light, I have determined you have Cataracts! 

Joking aside, that specific image, your version is sooo washed out to me, I don't know what you are using as guidance, or what you are looking for when making exposure decisions.

What I wanted to say about that image is:

A gardener once told me, planting rows of bushes, etc., odd numbers look better tan even numbers. Observing photos, single and multiple crocus for instance, I have tended to agree, BUT, as I cropped/framed this one, 2 crocus, I think it works better than expected.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
jrdu Forum Pro • Posts: 21,371
I loaded both versions into Photoshop

The histogram in Elliot's version is bunched up down in the left side, the light in Will's reworked image is evenly spread over the whole histogram.  Both versions are clipping, ever so slightly at the right side.

The histogram isn't the boss of photos, just a guide. The way you see it, the way it works for you, is what we want to see.

-- hide signature --

John Dunn

SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 6,299
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

elliottnewcomb wrote:

your version is sooo washed out to me

"Washed out" means brightness has been increased so much that detail in bright areas has been lost; if you A/B your original and my edit, all detail in the flower is identical and untouched, and more detail is plainly visible in the background that was previously hidden in shadow.

I only get flak from the guys who prefer dark images and aren't concerned that color and contrast is being lost from compressing the histogram. To be clear: You are specifically reducing the image quality from your camera if you merely shoot dark to taste, especially if you shoot JPG.

A quick and simple video that explains this nicely.

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

 SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,641
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

SoCalWill wrote:

First one jumped to 1/2000th for some reason, way too dark. Fine subjects though..

Preference for sure, what I don't like about in-camera HDR is the lack of shadows, dark areas. Perhaps you would like the HDR histograms, not me.

I feel like someone is shining 2 flashlights in my face. Part of that is the very close crop.

As I said, I was just showing the exposures OOC

This one, original

I might have done this to it

Brightness +25, I would not want to lighten the background any more, or lose any more purple. It is not that sharp, I think brighter washes out the color and emphasizes lack of sharpness. As I say, it is a shot of 2 rather than 3 that interested me. I think the original crop is part of why that works better.

This one, original

I would have only tried cutting the highlights

You gain something, more purple, and lose something else.

Original, I liked the 'floater' crocus, it floats less in this version, and I cropped the twigs and liked their visual strength to make the composition work. They lose their contribution.

Histograms don't tell us any of that.

Thanks for the link, I will watch the video, it's too early to turn the sound on here. Ben and Cooper still asleep, hopefully a bit longer, peace in the valley.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
deafbuzz
deafbuzz Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
perfect tune up

elliottnewcomb wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

First one jumped to 1/2000th for some reason, way too dark. Fine subjects though..

Preference for sure, what I don't like about in-camera HDR is the lack of shadows, dark areas. Perhaps you would like the HDR histograms, not me.

I feel like someone is shining 2 flashlights in my face. Part of that is the very close crop.

As I said, I was just showing the exposures OOC

This one, original

I might have done this to it

Brightness +25, I would not want to lighten the background any more, or lose any more purple. It is not that sharp, I think brighter washes out the color and emphasizes lack of sharpness. As I say, it is a shot of 2 rather than 3 that interested me. I think the original crop is part of why that works better.

This one, original

I would have only tried cutting the highlights

You gain something, more purple, and lose something else.

Original, I liked the 'floater' crocus, it floats less in this version, and I cropped the twigs and liked their visual strength to make the composition work. They lose their contribution.

Histograms don't tell us any of that.

Thanks for the link, I will watch the video, it's too early to turn the sound on here. Ben and Cooper still asleep, hopefully a bit longer, peace in the valley.

you did tune up to perfect it this one "after" (second one) better than "before" (first one). well done on "after" (second one).

sometime i work on post-processing at long night then my mind become numb. next day, i notice my images look little dark so i adjust it to tune up perfect.
------------------
cuong aka buzz
------------------
carl zeiss lenses do matter to me
------------------
zeissfolio.viewbook.com

 deafbuzz's gear list:deafbuzz's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
deafbuzz
deafbuzz Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

SoCalWill wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

your version is sooo washed out to me

"Washed out" means brightness has been increased so much that detail in bright areas has been lost; if you A/B your original and my edit, all detail in the flower is identical and untouched, and more detail is plainly visible in the background that was previously hidden in shadow.

I only get flak from the guys who prefer dark images and aren't concerned that color and contrast is being lost from compressing the histogram. To be clear: You are specifically reducing the image quality from your camera if you merely shoot dark to taste, especially if you shoot JPG.

A quick and simple video that explains this nicely.

thank for link. this histogram is helpfully to clarify for the thumb rule as math in paper.
------------------
cuong aka buzz
------------------
carl zeiss lenses do matter to me
------------------
zeissfolio.viewbook.com

 deafbuzz's gear list:deafbuzz's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,641
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

SoCalWill wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

your version is sooo washed out to me

"Washed out" means brightness has been increased so much that detail in bright areas has been lost; if you A/B your original and my edit, all detail in the flower is identical and untouched, and more detail is plainly visible in the background that was previously hidden in shadow.

I only get flak from the guys who prefer dark images and aren't concerned that color and contrast is being lost from compressing the histogram. To be clear: You are specifically reducing the image quality from your camera if you merely shoot dark to taste, especially if you shoot JPG.

A quick and simple video that explains this nicely.

Very good video, thanks.

Lightroom certainly looks organized in a logical way, a few Lightroom questions:

Standalone, or must it work on top of other software, like my Photoshop Elements 12 for instance?

until I learn RAW, will it work with Jpeg SF files?

Seems it needs to put photos in a library first to work. I do not want it to be my photo library. Neither is PE. I have my own folder system. Can I install it, and only load the photos I want to work on into it's catalog?

thanks for any answers,

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,641
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

AlGor wrote:

L O V E L Y !

Thanks for share Elliott>enjoy your new cam!

Al.

Thanks Al, I am enjoying it, even in a dark closet.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,641
Re: I loaded both versions into Photoshop

jrdu wrote:

The histogram in Elliot's version is bunched up down in the left side, the light in Will's reworked image is evenly spread over the whole histogram. Both versions are clipping, ever so slightly at the right side.

The histogram isn't the boss of photos, just a guide. The way you see it, the way it works for you, is what we want to see.

Well john, as long as I don't get my underwear bunched up, I will survive. You know I appreciate everything I learn here, and I do think this camera will take me further, so much more to learn, what a great forum this is.

I just viewed the histograms of my garage shot.

original is bunched up on the left.

I think this is the in-camera HDR, histogram much more evenly distributed

for me: top shot is sexy, bottom shot is 'washed out', meaning bleached, not overblown, and you see so much you don't want to see in the foreground.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
deafbuzz
deafbuzz Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

elliottnewcomb wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

your version is sooo washed out to me

"Washed out" means brightness has been increased so much that detail in bright areas has been lost; if you A/B your original and my edit, all detail in the flower is identical and untouched, and more detail is plainly visible in the background that was previously hidden in shadow.

I only get flak from the guys who prefer dark images and aren't concerned that color and contrast is being lost from compressing the histogram. To be clear: You are specifically reducing the image quality from your camera if you merely shoot dark to taste, especially if you shoot JPG.

A quick and simple video that explains this nicely.

Very good video, thanks.

Lightroom certainly looks organized in a logical way, a few Lightroom questions:

Standalone, or must it work on top of other software, like my Photoshop Elements 12 for instance?

until I learn RAW, will it work with Jpeg SF files?

Seems it needs to put photos in a library first to work. I do not want it to be my photo library. Neither is PE. I have my own folder system. Can I install it, and only load the photos I want to work on into it's catalog?

thanks for any answers,

no wonder, that photoshop only work on jpeg. that photoshop doesn't have white balance in kelvin and tint to work with.

either lightroom or capture one 9 is great to work with raw then it also accept to work with jpeg. but you can get free capture one express for sony only.
------------------
cuong aka buzz
------------------
carl zeiss lenses do matter to me
------------------
zeissfolio.viewbook.com

 deafbuzz's gear list:deafbuzz's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 6,299
Re: I loaded both versions into Photoshop

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Very good video, thanks.

Lightroom certainly looks organized in a logical way, a few Lightroom questions:

Standalone, or must it work on top of other software, like my Photoshop Elements 12 for instance?

until I learn RAW, will it work with Jpeg SF files?

Seems it needs to put photos in a library first to work. I do not want it to be my photo library. Neither is PE. I have my own folder system. Can I install it, and only load the photos I want to work on into it's catalog?

Wow, so this is the first time you've seen Lightroom CC, okay; It works by itself, within Creative Cloud so if you have other CC software, it magically shares all your edits across all your devices. Works great with JPG, but be aware that this program most certainly reveals the limitations of JPG. You can arrange files however you please, I also use/prefer folders and simply drag and drop whatever pic I want to edit into the library, it makes it simple for whatever particular system you prefer.

elliottnewcomb wrote:

for me: top shot is sexy, bottom shot is 'washed out', meaning bleached, not overblown, and you see so much you don't want to see in the foreground.

So you prefer deeper shadows, that's fine - the key is to make sure any part of the histogram touches the left and right sides, you can arrange the rest of it as you please (it doesn't have to be "spread out".) Your preferred original pic is fine histogram-wise except that it has some empty black areas in it (shadow on bottom left, shadow on the red house just above left center) - with Lightroom, you can simply brush in raised shadows, so those void zones have just a little texture and everything else remains untouched:

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

 SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,641
Re: I loaded both versions into Photoshop

Spring Retreat, it snowed last night

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,641
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

Today's setup, FF IQ, plenty of zoom

going to b&h for accessories for both

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,641
Re: RX1r, Spring Flowers

I took Ava, my 6-1/2 year old Granddaughter for a photo walkabout, she using my rx100m3, (with adjustable wrist strap) and me with my new RX1r.

She found this

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,641
more happening now

These are out and about all over town now

Even with EVF I had a hard time seeing to focus.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads