K-1 hands-on experience in the Netherlands

Started Mar 17, 2016 | Discussions
joostdh
joostdh Forum Member • Posts: 50
K-1 hands-on experience in the Netherlands

There was a photography trade fair in the Netherlands last weekend where Ricoh had a quite a large floor space booked. I went to have a look at the K-1 and I thought I would share my experience.

Firstly the stand was reasonably attended in the hour that I was there. I know from the Dutch Pentax forums that a lot of members went to have a hands-on with the camera during one of the three days the fair was on. But I spoke to a few people that did not currently shoot with Pentax but where very interested, usually because they had good memories from the film days.

The camera is very familiar when you first pick it up. Most buttons are exactly where you expect them. The screen is unique, as we have already seen on the photos, but it seems to work well. I am sure it will come in handy for macro work and over-head shots, it’s one of those things that if the option is there you will use it.

The function dial and third wheel work well, I’m sure that will get a lot of use too. I did notice that while you using the dial you cannot see from the top of camera what you are doing for all settings. For example if you want to see what crop mode you are setting it too (on, auto or off) you have to look at the back screen. Side note: there is no way to accidentally leave the crop mode on, the overlay in the viewfinder is not to be missed. The various buttons feel like we expect from Pentax: tactile, clickey and confident.

There were loads of K-1s on display, it wouldn’t surprise me if they had ten at the stand. Most were fitted with the D-FA 24–70mm and if you first experience is picking up that combo then it does feel usually heavy. It is doable but in a different league of weight than a K-3 with DA* 16–50mm. At one point a DA* 60–250mm was put on the counter and that used to be one of the big guys, now with the 15–30, 24–70 and 70–200 it had been relegated to the second division.

I had bought along two of my own lenses that I wanted to fit on the K-1. That was no problem at all, it was even encouraged. Side-note: using your own SD card was not allowed though I have read one report of a person hearing otherwise and going home with him card filled with K-1 photos.

I had bought along my FA 43mm. It is one of my favourite lenses to use and on FF it had my most used FOV. It worked as expected but did look almost lost on the camera.

I also took my FA* 85mm and joked it was singing when I mounted it on the FF. I believe that beautiful lenses from back then are still beautiful lenses now and that is certainly the case for the 85. I met a chap that has the A* version that he had bought new in the eighties for his LX. He wondered if it would still work so I explained and let him have a go with my version on the K-1. I took this photo.

Pentax K-1 mounted with FA* 85mm f/1.4, in use

Before that I chatted with Mike Muizebelt, he is a professional nature photographer and Pentax “ambassadeur” and is often present at Pentax stands in the Netherlands. As ambassadeur he had the opportunity to try the K-1 about which he wrote on his blog (I recommend this if you haven’t seen it yet, gorgeous photos). He was very friendly, knowledgable and sincerely enthusiastic, not only about the camera but how Penatx/Ricoh are putting it in the market. He expects great reviews when the camera is released.

My eye, shot with a K-1 with FA* 85mm by a nature photographer, on the screen of a K-1, shot on an iPhone with Hipstamatic by me (you follow?)

Mike was interested to have a look with the 85mm. As I understand it he has a nice collection of Pentax lenses but this is not one he has. He took a photo of me and zoomed in on my eye. We both concluded there was nothing wrong with the sharpness.

AF is certainly faster, also with the screwdriver lenses, so I assume the motor is stronger. It felt confident and seemed to be very accurate, as the above photo demonstrates. In the viewfinder all the in focusAF points light up, which is very clear and useful.

Back to the lenses, I also had a HD Pentax DA 35mm Macro Limited with me as it was mounted on my K-01 (what a difference a ‘0’ can make). I had assumed it would not work wel on FF, from vjacesslav’s photos taken with film but as I was there anyway: why not try it out? Judging solely from the rear screen the 35mm seemed to work very well indeed with only the lightest vignetting. I did not check to see if in-camera lens correction was turned on but regardless the lens seemed to work, even the sharpness outside of the APS-C area seemed excellent. So this lens was a total pleasant surprise.

To be honest the K-1 is a really, really, nice camera. It is obvious that Pentax did not release a K-3 with a larger sensor. They have redesigned every aspect of the camera and it shows. AF seemed quick and accurate, the camera was very zippy in use reviewing and zooming, they have added new buttons and dials to enhance functionality and both the viewfinder and screen are completely new. It is a very desirable camera if size and weight are not an issue. Personally I will keep my K-01 for those times that I want to travel light and compact. I will certainly have to get used to the idea of spending more than three times what I have paid for my previous cameras. But leaving the Pentax stand I had already drawn my conclusion: my next camera is going to be a K-1.

joostdh's gear list:joostdh's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +5 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wallace Ross
Wallace Ross Senior Member • Posts: 2,128
Re: K-1 hands-on experience in the Netherlands

Thanks for the post.  I noticed that the screen shows 100% view at 10x magnification that is a small but nice thing.  My k3 has a miss match between resolutions and 100% is at 8.3x not sure it makes a difference but it's an even number.

Also so from my testing on film I am confident to say the DA 35 ltd works as a ful frame lens.

-- hide signature --
22codfish
22codfish Contributing Member • Posts: 764
Re: Good News about DA 35 mm on K-1

Nice to read there was good photo usage outside the designated aps-c boundary area.

I don't like the K-1 aps-c area being only 15 mp, when you want to crop.  This is my only reason to consider staying with aps-c cameras.

-- hide signature --

Please visit my Gallery. Critique and suggestions appreciated:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5224733514/

22codfish's gear list:22codfish's gear list
Pentax Optio M10 Pentax K-5 Nikon D7200 Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 4,584

A well written report.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II
kriztian Contributing Member • Posts: 956

Seems like very sharp pictures.

-- hide signature --

kriztian

Voikkari Senior Member • Posts: 1,059
Re: Good News about DA 35 mm on K-1

Hi!

16 Mpix is well enough. My K5 has never let me down in that sense.

-- hide signature --

Pentax since Spotmatic F

Voikkari's gear list:Voikkari's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +5 more
Driver3 Regular Member • Posts: 210

Mike Muizebelt used to frequent this forum.

I think he got a bit tired of the sniping...

johnami
johnami Senior Member • Posts: 1,095

Yes well written, thanks..........

It's clear that this is one Pentax that needs to be seen and handled before money is spent.  Well you have been bought but in a positive way it would seem

johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Sigma DP2 Ricoh GR II Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +14 more
joostdh
OP joostdh Forum Member • Posts: 50

Thank you all for the replies, glad you appreciated it. Obviously there are many things I didn't mention. It didn't pay much attention to the 24-70mm as it is unlikely I will purchase it. I didn't test the AF-tracking as it isnot something I need or use. But these are things others have mentioned. Everyone has there own perspective and this was mine.

Well spotted on the 100% magnification, that is very useful and something that was indeed lacking.

Mike is member of one of the Dutch forums too but not very active there either. I think he's more one to get out and take photos than sit around and talk about the gear. Which is very understandable.

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +5 more
walgarch Regular Member • Posts: 326

Nice write up!  Great to hear Pentax Netherlands is giving people the opportunity to try out the new camera!

joostdh wrote:

AF is certainly faster, also with the screwdriver lenses, so I assume the motor is stronger. It felt confident and seemed to be very accurate, as the above photo demonstrates. In the viewfinder all the in focusAF points light up, which is very clear and useful.

I assume you meant compared to the K5IIs?

-- hide signature --

Will
=============================
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walgarch

walgarch's gear list:walgarch's gear list
Pentax K-1 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Pentax FA 15-30mm F2.8 Fujifilm X100S +9 more
joostdh

walgarch wrote:

Nice write up! Great to hear Pentax Netherlands is giving people the opportunity to try out the new camera!

Thanks.

I assume you meant compared to the K5IIs?

Yes, that's right. I have no experience with the K-3. Do you know if it is better than the K-5 II?

johnami
johnami Senior Member • Posts: 1,095

Better?  It takes nice photos too

johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Sigma DP2 Ricoh GR II Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +14 more
left eye
left eye Senior Member • Posts: 1,726
DA 35mm set the camera to crop mode?

The K1 may have had it's 'crop mode' on auto? - the camera detected the DA lens and cropped the sensor res down - to match the lens's smaller image circle.

Though I hear the DA 35mm limited can cover FF, but would have the camera have cropped?

From the Pentax website:

The new PENTAX 35mm full-frame digital SLR camera features a Crop mode, which allows you to select the image size to be recorded, with a choice of three settings: AUTO, FF and APS-C. The AUTO setting automatically selects the appropriate image size for the lens mounted on the camera. It selects either a 35mm full-frame image size for D FA- and FA-series lenses, or an APS-C image size for DA- and DA L-series lenses.

left eye's gear list:left eye's gear list
Olympus E-300 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic GH5 +5 more
joostdh
Re: DA 35mm set the camera to crop mode?

left eye wrote:

The K1 may have had it's 'crop mode' on auto? - the camera detected the DA lens and cropped the sensor res down - to match the lens's smaller image circle.

I purposely set the crop mode to off with the spanking new function dial. And I revened, on the viewfinder, the results outside of the crop area. But already in the viewfinder it was clear that the lens was hardly vignetting, not on the white walls 8 meters away or on the price list printed on white paper on the counter. The only thing I don't know is if I left lens correction on. However I don't think that works for unsupported DA lenses on FF mode anyway but it is just something I did not check.

jackie semple Contributing Member • Posts: 596

Thanks for this excellent report on your findings at the trade fair. I have been lucky enough to handle this camera in London. It is hard to find fault with it.

joergensmi New Member • Posts: 6

Thanks for the interesting report.

I'm glad to read that the 35 mm limited  works fine even in FF mode. Thats great news. together with 70 mm there are at least two good limited lenses.  I'll give a try to the other limitdes, I own.

joergensmi's gear list:joergensmi's gear list
Ricoh Theta S Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +27 more
davidbea Forum Member • Posts: 90

Does anybody have any experience with an actual K-1 and 35mm ltd Macro using the lens wide open? Do you still get full frame coverage? If so that clinches it for me. I primarily shoot with a wide angle to normal lens with very close focusing capability and want to go full frame.

Fingers crossed.

David

davidbea's gear list:davidbea's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus OM-D E-M10 Pentax K-1 +12 more
noshea Regular Member • Posts: 184

joostdh wrote:

There was a photography trade fair in the Netherlands last weekend where Ricoh had a quite a large floor space booked. I went to have a look at the K-1 and I thought I would share my experience.

Firstly the stand was reasonably attended in the hour that I was there. I know from the Dutch Pentax forums that a lot of members went to have a hands-on with the camera during one of the three days the fair was on. But I spoke to a few people that did not currently shoot with Pentax but where very interested, usually because they had good memories from the film days.

The camera is very familiar when you first pick it up. Most buttons are exactly where you expect them. The screen is unique, as we have already seen on the photos, but it seems to work well. I am sure it will come in handy for macro work and over-head shots, it’s one of those things that if the option is there you will use it.

The function dial and third wheel work well, I’m sure that will get a lot of use too. I did notice that while you using the dial you cannot see from the top of camera what you are doing for all settings. For example if you want to see what crop mode you are setting it too (on, auto or off) you have to look at the back screen. Side note: there is no way to accidentally leave the crop mode on, the overlay in the viewfinder is not to be missed. The various buttons feel like we expect from Pentax: tactile, clickey and confident.

There were loads of K-1s on display, it wouldn’t surprise me if they had ten at the stand. Most were fitted with the D-FA 24–70mm and if you first experience is picking up that combo then it does feel usually heavy. It is doable but in a different league of weight than a K-3 with DA* 16–50mm. At one point a DA* 60–250mm was put on the counter and that used to be one of the big guys, now with the 15–30, 24–70 and 70–200 it had been relegated to the second division.

I had bought along two of my own lenses that I wanted to fit on the K-1. That was no problem at all, it was even encouraged. Side-note: using your own SD card was not allowed though I have read one report of a person hearing otherwise and going home with him card filled with K-1 photos.

I had bought along my FA 43mm. It is one of my favourite lenses to use and on FF it had my most used FOV. It worked as expected but did look almost lost on the camera.

I also took my FA* 85mm and joked it was singing when I mounted it on the FF. I believe that beautiful lenses from back then are still beautiful lenses now and that is certainly the case for the 85. I met a chap that has the A* version that he had bought new in the eighties for his LX. He wondered if it would still work so I explained and let him have a go with my version on the K-1. I took this photo.

Before that I chatted with Mike Muizebelt, he is a professional nature photographer and Pentax “ambassadeur” and is often present at Pentax stands in the Netherlands. As ambassadeur he had the opportunity to try the K-1 about which he wrote on his blog (I recommend this if you haven’t seen it yet, gorgeous photos). He was very friendly, knowledgable and sincerely enthusiastic, not only about the camera but how Penatx/Ricoh are putting it in the market. He expects great reviews when the camera is released.

My eye, shot with a K-1 with FA* 85mm by a nature photographer, on the screen of a K-1, shot on an iPhone with Hipstamatic by me (you follow?)

Mike was interested to have a look with the 85mm. As I understand it he has a nice collection of Pentax lenses but this is not one he has. He took a photo of me and zoomed in on my eye. We both concluded there was nothing wrong with the sharpness.

Back to the lenses, I also had a HD Pentax DA 35mm Macro Limited with me as it was mounted on my K-01 (what a difference a ‘0’ can make). I had assumed it would not work wel on FF, from vjacesslav’s photos taken with film but as I was there anyway: why not try it out? Judging solely from the rear screen the 35mm seemed to work very well indeed with only the lightest vignetting. I did not check to see if in-camera lens correction was turned on but regardless the lens seemed to work, even the sharpness outside of the APS-C area seemed excellent. So this lens was a total pleasant surprise.

To be honest the K-1 is a really, really, nice camera. It is obvious that Pentax did not release a K-3 with a larger sensor. They have redesigned every aspect of the camera and it shows. AF seemed quick and accurate, the camera was very zippy in use reviewing and zooming, they have added new buttons and dials to enhance functionality and both the viewfinder and screen are completely new. It is a very desirable camera if size and weight are not an issue. Personally I will keep my K-01 for those times that I want to travel light and compact. I will certainly have to get used to the idea of spending more than three times what I have paid for my previous cameras. But leaving the Pentax stand I had already drawn my conclusion: my next camera is going to be a K-1.

Thanks for your report, it made interesting reading. The K1 will be my next camera, too. An observation I omitted from my own hands-on report was that the rep said that Ricoh were aiming the K1 squarely at existing Pentax users who had clamoured for a full-frame upgrade path. They are not expecting to win over much of the Canikon lot. He also said that they were aggressive on price and knew they had hit the target judging by the market's reaction, saying that although they could have justified a D810 level price, that it was hard to credit existing users of the K-3 paying double the latter's RRP in order to go full-frame.

noshea's gear list:noshea's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +8 more
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,254

noshea wrote:

joostdh wrote:

Back to the lenses, I also had a HD Pentax DA 35mm Macro Limited with me as it was mounted on my K-01 (what a difference a ‘0’ can make). I had assumed it would not work wel on FF, from vjacesslav’s photos taken with film but as I was there anyway: why not try it out? Judging solely from the rear screen the 35mm seemed to work very well indeed with only the lightest vignetting. I did not check to see if in-camera lens correction was turned on but regardless the lens seemed to work, even the sharpness outside of the APS-C area seemed excellent. So this lens was a total pleasant surprise.

Thanks for your report, it made interesting reading. The K1 will be my next camera, too. An observation I omitted from my own hands-on report was that the rep said that Ricoh were aiming the K1 squarely at existing Pentax users who had clamoured for a full-frame upgrade path. They are not expecting to win over much of the Canikon lot. He also said that they were aggressive on price and knew they had hit the target judging by the market's reaction, saying that although they could have justified a D810 level price, that it was hard to credit existing users of the K-3 paying double the latter's RRP in order to go full-frame.

And good that they did (not target the D810 price). FF cameras have been terribly overpriced and need not be. I guess ultimately, if enough people adopt FF, selling these cameras at sane prices will still make them profitable for the manufacturers. Sony clearly stated some two years back, that the price of the (36 mp) FF sensor could drop significantly if only enough people adopt FF. Well, Sony has made strides in getting FF to a larger public, and Pentax should follow a similar path, and not follow the traditional Canon/Nikon path of unashamedly overpricing their FF bodies.

If they want to make a sound profit, they should get it from super high class lenses. These at least warrant a hefty price, as they may last decades and give you numerous great images in return.

A 36mp FF camera body should not be priced at three times the K3 price.

I think Pentax made a great move here.

Chris

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
walgarch Regular Member • Posts: 326

joostdh wrote:

Yes, that's right. I have no experience with the K-3. Do you know if it is better than the K-5 II?

From what I've heard there was an improvement. Personally, I went from the K5 to the K3 and there was a major difference. Hoping there's another bump in speed from the K3 to K1 

-- hide signature --

Will
=============================
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walgarch
Just so you know how good/bad I am at this

walgarch's gear list:walgarch's gear list
Pentax K-1 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Pentax FA 15-30mm F2.8 Fujifilm X100S +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads