RX1r, Finally some Photos

Started Mar 16, 2016 | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,642
RX1r, Finally some Photos

My best shot so far

LOL, my sister in law's cellphone, Grand Cayman Island. I have one of these SOBs, in my tree, in my front yard. He is a master of hopping around the tree, I have NEVER gotten a decent photo of him.

Meanwhile, it stopped raining, out I went, houses and flowers. Too late for low shadows, it got cloudy as soon as I pulled the camera out, but, my first batch

lets not forget my front and back

Boy did I learn a lot of what not to do regarding handling the camera. I was thinking of going into NYC tomorrow, St Patrick's Day Parade, but my foot is not ready, and I certainly am not ready with this yet anyway.

edit,

good thing I went out, it is thunderstorms again. You would be looking at pitiful test shots if I didn't go out in the gray.

I will check out my flower shots next.

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Harvey Rawn
Harvey Rawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,633
Re: RX1r, Finally some Photos

I like what it does. Colors remind me of the R1.

-- hide signature --

Harvey
Write with light

Harvey Rawn's gear list:Harvey Rawn's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple iPhone X
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 38,784

Get off auto, Elliott and resize them some! They will look better. Especially with slight processing. Now you need to visit the abandoned village with it?

-- hide signature --

"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
Click for Wild Man's Photos

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne

Harvey Rawn wrote:

I like what it does. Colors remind me of the R1.

Yes the tones reminded me of that also.....

-- hide signature --

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne
Sure Grabs the details! n/t
-- hide signature --

OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,642

Bill Borne wrote:

Get off auto,

For a non-funny guy, that is a hoot. It's "Get Thee Out of Auto"!

Due to awareness of large sensor differences, I started in A mode, then, I went to M, still choosing A as priority to learn, either f2; 5.6; 11 for my first time out, looking for DOF differences. That will show up in my flower shots tomorrow.

Then, after selecting an Aperture, the shutter speed worked like an exposure compensation, you spin the wheel, and see essentially what works, then refine exposure IF you can see.

I tried exposure bracketing, 3 shots +/- 1 ev. They did not look like 1 ev changes to me when home.

Then I switched from AF to MF. I changed Peaking Levels, low, mid, high, as conditions allowed/needed, I prefer low, but, unlike rx100, low does not work all the time with RX1.

Elliott and resize them some! They will look better.

I need an esplain, what is resize all about, why does it look better?

Especially with slight processing. Now you need to visit the abandoned village with it?

The few I viewed full size, the corner to corner sharpness is way beyond the rx100. This is practice, pre-spring, to find out about handling, effects of settings. Boy did I run into a bunch of handling things today. More about that tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 6,299

The histogram on this one (and probably a few of the others) was severely stunted; if you're using some "creative" mode, I'd advise against it:

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,177

Bill Borne wrote:

Get off auto, Elliott and resize them some! They will look better. Especially with slight processing. Now you need to visit the abandoned village with it?

What and where is the "abandoned village"?

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Nikon Df +1 more
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,177

I would love to explore the 2nd house in your pics Elliot.

Looks like you are having fun with your new camera too.

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Nikon Df +1 more
jafleming3 Contributing Member • Posts: 574

Nice shots, Elliott, I like them.  You're getting the hang of your very fine camera!

jafleming3's gear list:jafleming3's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 V Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art
Bill Borne

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Get off auto,

For a non-funny guy, that is a hoot. It's "Get Thee Out of Auto"!

Due to awareness of large sensor differences, I started in A mode, then, I went to M, still choosing A as priority to learn, either f2; 5.6; 11 for my first time out, looking for DOF differences. That will show up in my flower shots tomorrow.

Must be using auto ISO then. which is no good in exposure bracketing

Then, after selecting an Aperture, the shutter speed worked like an exposure compensation, you spin the wheel, and see essentially what works, then refine exposure IF you can see.

I tried exposure bracketing, 3 shots +/- 1 ev. They did not look like 1 ev changes to me when home.

Then I switched from AF to MF. I changed Peaking Levels, low, mid, high, as conditions allowed/needed, I prefer low, but, unlike rx100, low does not work all the time with RX1.

Well... if you post full size pics then they lose quality when dpreview downsizes them to look at.

Especially with slight processing. Now you need to visit the abandoned village with it?

The few I viewed full size, the corner to corner sharpness is way beyond the rx100. This is practice, pre-spring, to find out about handling, effects of settings. Boy did I run into a bunch of handling things today. More about that tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Elliott

-- hide signature --

Bill Borne

66GTO wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

What and where is the "abandoned village"?

Somewhere in or near Watchung NJ. Lived there till I was 30 years old and never heard of it. Elliott posted some nice pics of it and that's when I learned all my friends knew about it. Ask Elliott.

-- hide signature --

deafbuzz
deafbuzz Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
raw or jpeg?

elliottnewcomb wrote:

lets not forget my front and back

Elliott

were these photos taken in raw or jpeg?
------------------
cuong aka buzz
------------------
carl zeiss lenses do matter to me
------------------
zeissfolio.viewbook.com

deafbuzz's gear list:deafbuzz's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 37,412

About resizing. . . I find that images look best in DPR at screen size or at 100% size when I post into DPR with other than the original size of the image.   That is, I host images on Smugmug and Flicker, and choose Large or xLarge instead of Original when grabbing a link from those hosts to post in DPR.   If anyone wants to see the true originals, I direct them to the hosting site.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X100F +1 more

SoCalWill wrote:

The histogram on this one (and probably a few of the others) was severely stunted; if you're using some "creative" mode, I'd advise against it:

I learned quite a bit first time out.

35mm

I know from 1st use I will be happy with 35mm for a lot.

Sharpness

Sharpness is terrific corner to corner

Jpeg Colors

Like R1, simply terrific

AF

for stills, is pretty good.

MF

focus peaking, takes level changing depending on subject, so I learned to leave the menu, 'previous', on gear, pg 2, peaking level, a single button push, I'm there.

BBF

I am set up, understand it's advantage, but didn't try it this first outing

A mode

I set out to primarily learn what f2, 5.6, 11 would give me. (remember, never had FF before). When I get to my flower shots, I will learn more about what I got.

DOF Control

Separate from proper exposure, a primary reason I want this camera is to have DOF control. A mode must be learned for that.

M mode

I used M, Aperture still the priority to learn, S to prevent blur, remember, I am shakier than most. Aperture chosen 1st, I found I could/had to use the lcd and shutter wheel like a trackball to get close to exposure, then use exposure comp.

S mode

Prior to this, my main mode has been S mode, fast enough, not too fast, let camera solve A and ISO, so A mode is new to me for any camera.

Level

I found I could achieve level fairly consistently out of the barn, without on-screen level. I had a devil of a time learning to hold my Stylus 1 to get level. First camera I ever had that experience. With tele lens on, I was dead on level, realized I was holding the camera by the lens, much like I held my R1. I learned to hold the camera differently without tele lens, now right on level again.

Then, I turned on-screen level, could see it for verification on lcd, I had problems seeing the level on the EVF, not sure why.

Exposure

I don't know the camera, I didn't try for more than good enough to see to learn some of the above. I'll ask for slack on that for this batch. Suggestions are more than welcome.

No creative mode, but, I messed around with brightness, contrast, highlights, shadows, all willy nilly, just to see how much this camera's jpegs allow, quite a bit I found. Shadows come up more than highlights come down I think. Bill mentioned 'over cooked' on the first image I messed with, I expected that again, not surprised by your comment. Those skies are all 'improved'! Blue in only a few. Hardly any detail in sky in the majority of them.

This shot, I think my decision was to perk up the grass to look green, did all kinds of weird things.

I will turn on Histogram, and occasionally check Zebra, in the future, not now.

Exposure Bracketing.

I tried 3 shot, +/- 1.0 ev. The alternate shots did not seem to be as 'alternate' as my rx100 gives me.

Auto ISO

I use Auto ISO for everything in my rx100m3 (m1 does not have Auto ISO in M). Bill suggested bracketing was affected by Auto ISO. 1st I ever heard of that.

Processor

This relates to my processor question. rx100m1 has Bionz processor, no auto iso in m. m3 has Bionz X, auto iso in M.

RX1 specs do not say Bionz X, it says Bionz.

Does RX1 have Auto ISO in M?????

Pre-Spring Test.

As I said, this is pre-spring, the lawns, flower beds, bushes are all in rough shape. I have many photos of some of these houses, fall, winter, spring, from rx100. I will happily compare them in a short while, I ought to know more about RX1 by then.

Handling

I reserve HATE for very serious things, like original VCR clocks.

I HATE that damnable front focus wheel.

I HATE the movie button.

Hit it many times taking verticals. Had to spin camera around the other way to avoid it. I have it set to off unless top wheel is in movie mode, BUT, accidentally hit it, a warning screen comes up on the lcd, you cannot shoot until you get rid of that. Do that a few times in a row, HATE surfaces.

I temporarily HATE the right rocker

It is easy to accidentally hit the right rocker, inadvertently activating my AF/MF toggle. No problem, I changed it to Not Set. BUT, when using MF, accidentally hit the right rocker, the box where the magnification occurs moves to the right, quickly. I'm pointing at a flower, it's no where to be seen. WTH? Over and over. Turn the camera off/on, all agogo, until, it happens again. Finally I figured it out. I'll sort it out.

Macro & Macro Ring.

As noted, I need to check the ring, it gets moved inadvertently. Intentionally macro, I kept trying to shoot from 2" like the rx100. MF seemed broken. Then I figured out, a very different minimum distance, need to learn more about that.

Oh, nasty gray sky just turned blue with clouds. Supposed to be changing all day. Hope it stays decent for the Parade.

Cooper is here, perhaps I can lash the rx100 onto him and out we will go.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Re: raw or jpeg?

I am starting with what I know, Jpeg, defaults, SF compression, OOC, handheld.

Normally I only lift shadows and/or cut highlights, but this batch I messed with all light controls, just to see how much the sensor allows, and because it was far from ideal light, sun too high, nasty skies,

and it was trash day, so avoiding trash cans in shots puts you in views you normally would not bother with.

I learned, my first rx100m1 shoot, fall shots walk-about: wait for non-trash day, wait till people go to work, minimizing cars in driveways and at the curb, but get out there right after that, before sun gets too high. We have so many trees here, you can get some nice shadows late morning, early afternoon, but earlier and later is better as you know..

I never experimented with alternates, like vivid,etc. and never messed with modifying NR, sharpness, in-camera settings. I will be testing modifying in-camera sharpness, due to the halos that showed up in the zoom tests. I never saw those halos in rx100 extra zooms, and I posted the Stylus 1 zoom shots just to show they are not normal

This camera may push me into RAW, don't rush me.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bill Borne

SoCalWill wrote:

I don't know what you did to that photo but it looks nothing like the one in his original post??????

-- hide signature --

Bill Borne

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Your original post

and resized to 1080 high

did adjust levels slightly

Now look at both original size

-- hide signature --

deafbuzz
deafbuzz Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Re: raw or jpeg?

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I am starting with what I know, Jpeg, defaults, SF compression, OOC, handheld.

Normally I only lift shadows and/or cut highlights, but this batch I messed with all light controls, just to see how much the sensor allows, and because it was far from ideal light, sun too high, nasty skies,

and it was trash day, so avoiding trash cans in shots puts you in views you normally would not bother with.

I learned, my first rx100m1 shoot, fall shots walk-about: wait for non-trash day, wait till people go to work, minimizing cars in driveways and at the curb, but get out there right after that, before sun gets too high. We have so many trees here, you can get some nice shadows late morning, early afternoon, but earlier and later is better as you know..

I never experimented with alternates, like vivid,etc. and never messed with modifying NR, sharpness, in-camera settings. I will be testing modifying in-camera sharpness, due to the halos that showed up in the zoom tests. I never saw those halos in rx100 extra zooms, and I posted the Stylus 1 zoom shots just to show they are not normal

This camera may push me into RAW, don't rush me.

i am sure that you will be master of ooc in jpeg better than me without question.

i never bother to learn what rx1's creative style can do for me in jpeg. i can't afford time to think/worry too much what is best ooc in jpeg as creative style for me to chose before shooting.

i trust raw to give me "not too late" time for post-processing after shooting. only the difference is jpeg giving me feeling "too late" to correct it sometime for some reason after i shoot it.

i am glad to see that you've enjoyed your new toy to test ooc in jpeg.
------------------
cuong aka buzz
------------------
carl zeiss lenses do matter to me
------------------
zeissfolio.viewbook.com

deafbuzz's gear list:deafbuzz's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 6,299

Bill Borne wrote:

I don't know what you did to that photo but it looks nothing like the one in his original post??????

Filled out the histogram; that's what the picture should look like OOC, for some reason his pics all have nothing above highlights on the histogram, which is reducing color and contrast.

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads