HowTo - NX500 and NX1 - disable recording limit

Started Mar 15, 2016 | Discussions
vasile Contributing Member • Posts: 575
HowTo - NX500 and NX1 - disable recording limit

Follow this tutorial at your risk and peril. Your warranty is now void.

After some more digging through the firmware and way in advance of my ETA

1. Create a text file as follows:

• file name: nx_dev.adj
  • file content: "smart_camera" - NB no carriage return, no nothing except the string (NB excluding quotes). File length should be exactly 12 bytes.

2. Place this file on the root of an SD card and put the card in your camera.

3. Power on the camera.

4. Make sure camera is on Auto.

5. Press, in succession: down [for NX1 press on the wheel around the OK button downwards], OK, up, OK, right, press and keep pressed the exposure compensation button, press and release OK, and finally release the exposure compensation button.

6. You should now see the DEV menu.

7. The setting referred to in the subject of this post is under SYSTEM PARAMETER, (5) DISABLE MOVIE REC LIMIT.

8. Do not forget to delete the nx_dev.adj file from the SD card.

Before I forget:

YOUR WARRANTY IS NOW VOID.

vasile's gear list:vasile's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +1 more
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wpstl Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: HowTo - NX500 and NX1 - disable recording limit

Would a camera reset return the setting back to default thus restoring the warranty should you need to send it in for repair?

-- hide signature --

"Sometimes I like to throw a grenade and run away."

wpstl's gear list:wpstl's gear list
Samsung NX1 Sony a7R II Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +2 more
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,225

Excellent work! Thank you

otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
pureaxis Regular Member • Posts: 216

is this permanent?

pureaxis's gear list:pureaxis's gear list
YI M1
OP vasile Contributing Member • Posts: 575

wpstl wrote:

Would a camera reset return the setting back to default thus restoring the warranty should you need to send it in for repair?

Just make sure you re-enable the limit before sending it in.

The disclaimer is there in my post because the DEV menu has some other REALLY REALLY dangerous settings.

Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +1 more

otto k wrote:

Excellent work! Thank you

I said it before and I say it again: you made this possible.

Thank you.

pureaxis wrote:

is this permanent?

It survives reboots/power off's until you re-enable it using the same method.

FWIW, for people with bad manual adapters that do not press the pin and don't allow shooting, in the DEV menu:

2. SYSTEM PARAMETER

(6) NO LENS RELEASE ENABLE [v]

This will enable shooting without lens or with bad adapter - tested without anything in mount - it works

Edit - All changes are saved to partition /dev/mmcblk0p2 (pref) and can be wiped (there are additional partitions p3 and p5 with default and recovery preferences). All changes are reversible.

Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
RiccoT Forum Member • Posts: 94

thanks a lot! this works. finally no more recording limit (+ shooting without lens)

made my day.

RiccoT's gear list:RiccoT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN +1 more

As requested - some screenshots of DEV menu...

First level menu

This is what you want

Disabling recording limit

Disabling checking for lens

I really would not mess with other options.

By putting "smart_camera" in nx_cs.adj and doing the same key sequence in AUTO mode you get the CS menu. In order to do anything (other than turning the wifi off) you need to have directory adjustment/nx500 or nx1 in SD card root with files named, for example: 8.country_code.adj with following commands:

start

osd clear

sys_param shipment_country set 137

to set country to nonexistent Yugoslavia ...

This is strictly service menu and you should have a bunch of files (and additional equipment) in order to do anything meaningful to camera (adjust shutter, etc). For example, Samsung UK site had for some reason CIS DOT DATA files for NX1...

But, again, I would not mess with those option unless there is a very good reason.

Barple Regular Member • Posts: 263

The button sequence sounds like a Mortal Kombat fatality

Excellent work guys, keep it up!!

Barple's gear list:Barple's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
Johny007 New Member • Posts: 4

LOL, I love you!

Enna New Member • Posts: 7

You did really great job

3nrayged Forum Member • Posts: 68

Hi and thanks heaps for this hack, it works. However, it only works with SDXC cards, SDHC cards bounce back to 7:04 mins limitation.
Also, is it normal? When I remove the limitation, I lose the icons in the left of the screen in preview mode (focus mode, mic level, etc...) and focus peaking is not working.
I was able to revert back to normal disabling the no record limit in DEV mode.
Camera used NX1
Anyway, great work vasile!
I'd just like to know what are other NX1 results when the hack is activated. It looks like when dev mode has been used, the NX1 only reacts as in AUTO mode. Can you guys confirm?
EDIT: Nevermind, I just forgot to press UP (DISP) again, everything works fine.

3nrayged's gear list:3nrayged's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D5200 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more

Did you try taking the nx_dev.adj file out of the SD card and THEN turning on and off the camera? [as instructed in point 8 of my initial post]

The setting should remain active if you do that.

The limit off should be independent of any other settings so I am not sure what's going on if you already did the above.

Nah mate! It works perfectly on SDXC cards, for the loss of the icons I just forgot to press TOP (DISP) again to make them reappear. 
You're my idol man, I wished that hack to happen since I bought the camera February of last year. Always maintained hope in this camera and its awesome community.

Nikon D5100 Nikon D5200 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more

Wow!

Timelapse mode x20 to 2128:30.

Timelapse mode x10 to 1064:15

Timelapse mode x5 to 531:15

With SDXC 64GB

How safe would it be to run a timelapse of those durations?

Juxx989
Juxx989 Forum Member • Posts: 73

Barple wrote:

The button sequence sounds like a Mortal Kombat fatality

Excellent work guys, keep it up!!

I think im older than you.. This reminds me of the classic Contra Code on NES... Ill never forget it ..

UP UP DOWN DOWN B, A, Select Start!

I haven't used it in over 20 years and still remember it

Juxx989's gear list:Juxx989's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 +7 more
Pavel Masek Regular Member • Posts: 116

RiccoT wrote:

thanks a lot! this works. finally no more recording limit (+ shooting without lens)

made my day.

Has anyone try remote app - if live view now works even with non-native lenses?

Pavel Masek's gear list:Pavel Masek's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
Johny007 New Member • Posts: 4

3nrayged wrote:

Hi and thanks heaps for this hack, it works. However, it only works with SDXC cards, SDHC cards bounce back to 7:04 mins limitation.

Format all your card to exFat and you are set.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads