Sigma DP1 Quattro Review: Slightly disappointing lens on otherwise promising camera

Started Mar 15, 2016 | User reviews
dsteiner Regular Member • Posts: 405
Sigma DP1 Quattro Review: Slightly disappointing lens on otherwise promising camera

This review reflects my usage of the DP1 Quattro. I really wanted to like this camera. I've been using the DP2Q and DP3Q as well and really enjoyed them, however, the DP1Q seemed to be different.

1) Noise: For some reason, the pics of the DP1Q seem to be noisier. Most of the pictures that were originally published shortly after the camera was released looked shockingly noisy - not something I was used to from the DP2Q. Ok, so I thought, it is difficult to make up your opinion if some users possibly push the sliders in SPP to unreasonable levels etc. So I bought the DP1Q to make a up a fair opinion. I installed the latest firmware straight away and things seemed to be better then anticipated, but certainly not the same as the DP2Q delivered. To be honest, although not ideal, I could live with this noise level. And as a side remark: Please do not start a discussion on Quattro vs Merrill sensor again.

2) The Lens: I used the DP1M and previous versions before and I never really saw a massive problem with the sharpness at the borders, however, with the DP1Q, I realized that the borders are quite bad (unsharp, paired with quite some CA). The image also seems to get noisier closer to the borders (maybe also an effect of the weak lens). Although Sigma claim that they improved the lens, I do not think it is good enough for the sensor. I'd rather preferred they made a slightly bigger lens that can deliver on the borders as well (or whatever is necessary to fix this problem.). It is a real shame, because this is the main problem that lets the camera down!

Example Image showing the problem (see at 100% at https://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy/20495450804/sizes/o/ :

As with the other DP Quattro cameras, I like the new design of the camera. It’s bigger, yes, but it is more comfortable to hold. I especially like the two big dials on top to control the aperture and shutter speed. I like the level indicator on the display … very nice new feature. The LCD is way better etc etc etc. In a nutshell: I am disappointed about the weak lens on what could have been otherwise an excellent camera.

Sigma dp1 Quattro
20 megapixels • 3 screen • 28 mm
Announced: Feb 10, 2014
dsteiner's score
Average community score
Sigma dp1 Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 17,666
Re: Sigma DP1 Quattro Review: Slightly disappointing lens on otherwise promising camera

dsteiner wrote:

Example Image showing the problem (see at 100% at https://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy/20495450804/sizes/o/ :

Link needs the right bracket removed.

-- hide signature --

Ted
For every reference there is an equal and opposite opinion

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +11 more
borissimo86 Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: Sigma DP1 Quattro Review: Slightly disappointing lens on otherwise promising camera

Are you sure that you don't have a defective sample? The sample image is softer than what I'm used to seeing from DP1Q.

OP dsteiner Regular Member • Posts: 405

I had actually 2 DP1Qs and both showed a similar effect. So unless I was really unlucky receiving two defect units, I'd assume the lens is really weak.

MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,047

What settings did you use for NR? If Luminance was on, I would try turning it off. Might help.

mdavidp Senior Member • Posts: 2,304

Try SPP 6.32.

Try MF

Try f5.6

Try in_camera jpeg conversion.

Mike P

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50R
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,586
Get a DP0

Like you, I was not as happy with the edges of the image with my DP1Q.

If you want a wide Quattro think about a DP0.  The difference is enormous, the edges of the DP0Q are amazing.  It is a fantastic camera all around, just larger than the other Quattro models.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 26,887
Re: Get a DP0

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

If you want a wide Quattro think about a DP0. The difference is enormous, the edges of the DP0Q are amazing. It is a fantastic camera all around, just larger than the other Quattro models.

So would you say a cropped image from a DP0Q is better than a whole image from a DP1Q (with the same angle of view) ?

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
jstop Regular Member • Posts: 212

Hmmm, the many not-so-great photos I've seen of Quattro may have come from the DPQ1.

The image you posted is very similar to those poor examples I've seen (noise throughout/smearing/softness near the edges); in the past I've never checked what version they were from though.

But I've noticed now that DPQ2 can and does produce excellent results, on par with or maybe better than the Merrills.

tagscuderia
tagscuderia Senior Member • Posts: 1,694

The DP0 lens is very good but... if resolution isn't important, shoot in Lo-res, IQ improvement is immediately apparent. If 5MP isn't enough (HiDPI screens make it look tiny), try X3F_Extract/Kalpanika. It's the only way to get results that I'm happy with, Roland and co did a great job with it.

P.S, in-camera JPG engine is also very good regards rendering but it's not a practical development solution.

tagscuderia's gear list:tagscuderia's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art

The DP0 looks a lot better, yes, and I was considering buying one for some time, however, I came to the conclusion that it's too wide for my liking. The angle of view on the DP1 cameras is just right for my intended purposes. Maybe the next version of the DP1 features an improved lens design.

But I've noticed now that DPQ2 can and does produce excellent results, on par with or maybe better than the Merrills.

Yes, I strongly agree with this. The same goes for the DP3Q based on my own experience.

MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,586

D Cox wrote:

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

If you want a wide Quattro think about a DP0. The difference is enormous, the edges of the DP0Q are amazing. It is a fantastic camera all around, just larger than the other Quattro models.

So would you say a cropped image from a DP0Q is better than a whole image from a DP1Q (with the same angle of view) ?

Hard to compare, as I don't have a good feel for exactly how much larger the DP0 image in comparison - but I think it may be better.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Osa25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,942

dsteiner wrote:

This review reflects my usage of the DP1 Quattro. I really wanted to like this camera. I've been using the DP2Q and DP3Q as well and really enjoyed them, however, the DP1Q seemed to be different..... however, with the DP1Q, I realized that the borders are quite bad (unsharp, paired with quite some CA). The image also seems to get noisier closer to the borders..

When I made my purchase a couple months ago I remember my takeway from the backlog of reviews of all these DPQ series cameras being more or less "any of them except DP1Q".  Were you not aware - or just made the buy based on the ones that you already owned?

Osa25's gear list:Osa25's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +1 more
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,047

Cropping a 0 to equal the FOV of a 1 leaves you with a 10mp picture - a significant drop.  I did one sample today but it wasn't a good one to post - mainly due to conditions. I may have time tomorrow.

R

leicamix New Member • Posts: 2

Hello,

I'm a new owner of a Sigma Dp1 quattro and it's the first time that I write in this forum.

First of all I'm sorry for my english grammar. I'm an italian professional photographer.

I didn't find problems with the lens at all. The dp1 quattro is a tool that you can use with the tripod as a tech-camera or carefully handheld like you did with the diving scene in the forest (I like the picture!). As a landscape, urban-landscape and architecture's camera you know that maybe it needs some tilt/shift correction in Lightroom or Photoshop and the little softness at the corners will desapear immediately cause you're going to trim the picture a little bit.

Let me explain that I don't like pixelpeeping the images at 200% but instead print my pictures and show to people. So I still photographing with the ideal goal of printing my images. Print is my final media and maybe emailing/wetransfer images to magazine and friends.

I don't think that we need to change a camera for little soft corners of little noise. I don't find the noise so annoying but rather organic, filmic. Let's call it grain.

And I know I'm new with Foveon. But the Colors?  One word : Amazing.

I'm so glad to find a digital camera that reproduce natural colors with this high fidelity.

In terms of colors the foveon sensor is the best that I've used and I regularly working with medium format digital cameras/backs.

Kind regards

Frank

leicamix's gear list:leicamix's gear list
Sigma dp1 Quattro
Daedalus2000
Daedalus2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,382
Agree

leicamix wrote:

Hello,

I'm a new owner of a Sigma Dp1 quattro and it's the first time that I write in this forum.

First of all I'm sorry for my english grammar. I'm an italian professional photographer.

I didn't find problems with the lens at all. The dp1 quattro is a tool that you can use with the tripod as a tech-camera or carefully handheld like you did with the diving scene in the forest (I like the picture!). As a landscape, urban-landscape and architecture's camera you know that maybe it needs some tilt/shift correction in Lightroom or Photoshop and the little softness at the corners will desapear immediately cause you're going to trim the picture a little bit.

Let me explain that I don't like pixelpeeping the images at 200% but instead print my pictures and show to people. So I still photographing with the ideal goal of printing my images. Print is my final media and maybe emailing/wetransfer images to magazine and friends.

I don't think that we need to change a camera for little soft corners of little noise. I don't find the noise so annoying but rather organic, filmic. Let's call it grain.

And I know I'm new with Foveon. But the Colors? One word : Amazing.

I'm so glad to find a digital camera that reproduce natural colors with this high fidelity.

In terms of colors the foveon sensor is the best that I've used and I regularly working with medium format digital cameras/backs.

Kind regards

Frank

I agree with Frank. I have the DP1Q and yes the lens is a bit weaker at the edges but it still resolves quite well compared to other cameras/lens combinations, as it resolves almost 2,700 lines at f4.

Here is what a review at PCmag says: (http://uk.pcmag.com/camera/37732/review/sigma-dp1-quattro)

When shooting JPG images at 19.6-megapixel resolution it scores 3,628 lines per picture height on a center-weighted sharpness test. That's much better than the 1,800 lines we require to call a photo sharp, but edge performance (2,178 lines) does significantly lag behind the center (4,261 lines). Peak performance is at f/4 where the lens manages an outstanding 4,003 on average thanks to a sharper center (4,576 lines) and improved edges (2,680 lines). There's a drop off in resolution at f/5.6 (3,941 lines) due to diffraction, but photos still show an incredible amount of detail at f/8 (3,640 lines) and f/11 (3,002 lines). Images don't show quite as much detail as the dp2—it manages 4,699 lines at f/2.8—but still go toe-to-toe with the output from Nikon's 36-megapixel D810in terms of detail.

Edit: Just for reference the full frame Leica Q (that everyone seems to love) at f4 resolves 2,100 lines on the edges. The Ricoh GR resolves also around 2,100 at f4.

I was comparing the lens to the ones on previous versions of the DP1. I do not expect extremely sharp results to the extreme borders on a wide angle lens, but I think this lens could have been better (even if that meant paying a bit more for the camera). I do not view my pictures at 200%, I do not see any point in going beyond 100%.

leicamix New Member • Posts: 2

Hi ,

@dsteiner:  When I was talking about 200% magnification's view I didn't mean that you do this practice. But we can start a group "just keep it at 100" .

Well I understand your point of view about the Dp1 Merrill but  I prefer a camera that could be a little more flexible and actually with the Dp1 Quattro I feel safe with 3 batteries for a day of shooting. The electronic level it's a tool that I use all the time and I don't know if it was present in priors models.

I've tried the camera with a Pentax 645d (my workhorse camera) and one of the best medium format lens the Pentax 35mm FA and I'm very happy of the result of the Sigma Dp1 Quattro . The result in terms of visual acuity is really similar, the digital medium format is a little bit superior in term of "presence" but again  thanks to the amazing color rendition of the Foveon sensor I can really use the two cameras for a photoJob together and mix  their images. Actually I have to work a little bit more in post with the Pentax files (natural color/film simulation with Dxo for instance ) .The Sigma/Foveon routine with SigmaPhoto Pro is slow but is part of the experience (!).

I'm really curios right now about the new SD quattro camera....really and I start to spread the Word about Foveon sensor to my colleague and friends especially the ones that work with fine art photography. ....the Colors!  

Ciao!

leicamix's gear list:leicamix's gear list
Sigma dp1 Quattro

Ok Yes, the DP*Q cameras are definitely more versatile than their predecessors and I really enjoy taking pictures with them. As you mentioned, the elec level indicator is extremely useful as well. I am also very much looking forward to the SD Quattros. Paired with some Art lenses these cameras should be able to produce some stunning images.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads