Anyone know what this is? Red/Green banding on long exposures

Started Mar 15, 2016 | Discussions
dreyko
dreyko Regular Member • Posts: 455
Anyone know what this is? Red/Green banding on long exposures

This was shot on a d610 with a 24-120 f4 vr and a b+w 10 stop filter. I have seen this a number of times but only on long exposures. This was 1+ minute.

I intended to convert to B+W but unfortunately the shot is ruined I think. I thought this was an issue with the filter but I had it with a hoya 9 stop and now a B+W 10 stop. Ive also had this on a d7100.

Yes the eyepiece was covered, I used a hood, and the lens/filters were clean. I wasn't shooting into the sun and I only see this on exposures of 15+ seconds, sometimes its worse than others but not always related to exposure time.

dreyko's gear list:dreyko's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +5 more
Nikon D610 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,972
Re: Anyone know what this is? Red/Green banding on long exposures

Lens light leak?

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon Z6
beeley Junior Member • Posts: 33

It looks like light from the viewfinder. You need to block the eyepiece off.

jtgraphics Contributing Member • Posts: 700

j_photo wrote:

Lens light leak?

My first thought also try other lens same setup to test and figure out if its the lens or body with the issue.

Shoot and make it do this again then put on another lens same conditions same setup and see if its also on photos.

-- hide signature --

JTGraphics

jtgraphics's gear list:jtgraphics's gear list
Nikon D750
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,261

My money is on ND filter flare...

Can you replicate the issue without filter?

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
Alan Brown
Alan Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 5,655

beeley wrote:

It looks like light from the viewfinder. You need to block the eyepiece off.

He said he did in his post.

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
shotupdave Forum Member • Posts: 75

was it the same lens/filter combo? do you have a 6 stop filter that you can get a long exposure with?

shotupdave's gear list:shotupdave's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D3X Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +7 more
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 5,594

I shoot a similar shot covering the camera completely except the lens, that's the viewfinder and the lens mount, all except the lens glass itself!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +17 more
maljo@inreach.com Veteran Member • Posts: 7,726
Light leak?

I have not seen anything quite like this.

Looks like a light leak.

You have seen it with two different cameras and two different filters, but using the same lens.

Try a different lens, otherwise same set up and see if it happens.

Are you covering the viewfinder with the black plastic piece Nikon supplies?

maljo

maljo@inreach.com's gear list:maljo@inreach.com's gear list
Nikon D850 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500
Cloned Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: Light leak?

As another test I would take another shot with the lens cap on, with the entire camera covered, and at the same settings (exposure time, ISO, WB, etc). If the issue goes away, it's a light leak from somewhere. If the issue still occurs its a problem with the sensor. With very long exposures you can get sensor heat noise, but I have never seen it in the middle of a sensor. it's usually just along one edge where the sensor offloads the data.

Cloned's gear list:Cloned's gear list
Nikon D810 Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more

Janoch wrote:

My money is on ND filter flare...

Can you replicate the issue without filter?

Very good chance this is it also.

-- hide signature --

JTGraphics

Nikon D750
dreyko
OP dreyko Regular Member • Posts: 455

I cannot replicate it without the filter, exposure time is not long enough I guess.

I believe I found it though. Using live view and a speedlight I triggered the speedlight all over the body and found that even with the eyepiece blocked off I was able to get light passing from the area around the eyepiece. My guess is that the eyepiece doesn't get completely sealed off with the plastic cover.

Well, I guess a proper viewfinder shutter is on my next cameras list of requirements. Shame the d750 I ordered doesn't have one. Perhaps there are minor differences between the d610 and d750 that will alleviate this issue.

dreyko's gear list:dreyko's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +5 more
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,261

Sounds plausible...

Cure is as simple as a bit of dark clothe over the viewfinder, when shooting these long exposures.

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more

dreyko wrote:

I cannot replicate it without the filter, exposure time is not long enough I guess.

I believe I found it though. Using live view and a speedlight I triggered the speedlight all over the body and found that even with the eyepiece blocked off I was able to get light passing from the area around the eyepiece. My guess is that the eyepiece doesn't get completely sealed off with the plastic cover.

Well, I guess a proper viewfinder shutter is on my next cameras list of requirements. Shame the d750 I ordered doesn't have one. Perhaps there are minor differences between the d610 and d750 that will alleviate this issue.

I also like using these for my cameras,

-- hide signature --

JTGraphics

Nikon D750
rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,139

Janoch wrote:

Sounds plausible...

Cure is as simple as a bit of dark clothe over the viewfinder, when shooting these long exposures.

Bingo.  I use and old, black t-shirt.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

result42 Regular Member • Posts: 291
Use the eyepiece cover provided with the camera. On D800 and above it's built in.

I do long exposures all the time with heavy ND filters and without a doubt this is your issue.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads