Broken 70-200

Started Mar 9, 2016 | Questions
Craig NC
Craig NC Contributing Member • Posts: 659
Broken 70-200

I ordered a used sel70200G from B&H.  It arrived today with no lens hood and even worse, the lens barrel was split.  The box appeared to have no damage, and while well packed, it was not in the original Sony box.  Of course B&H was professional, apologetic and immediately sent a return label.

Has anyone else ever seen this lens splt like this?

Craig NC's gear list:Craig NC's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R II Sony a7 II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
JonBH Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Broken 70-200

Recently saw a similar photo with the lens split at that seam. The two halves of the lens are connected to the plastic internals at this seam. The lens is not designed to withstand the abuse dished out by the shipper (UPS).

JonBH's gear list:JonBH's gear list
Sony a9 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Sony a7R III Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
SparkleHedgehog
SparkleHedgehog Senior Member • Posts: 2,115

JonBH wrote:

Recently saw a similar photo with the lens split at that seam. The two halves of the lens are connected to the plastic internals at this seam. The lens is not designed to withstand the abuse dished out by the shipper (UPS).

I find it amazing that a lens of this cost and "apparent build quality" can be broken so severely. Plus the OP says the box had no damage which is even more scary.

Will be wrapping mine in cotton wool from now on!

-- hide signature --
 SparkleHedgehog's gear list:SparkleHedgehog's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony a7R II Sony FE 70-200 F4
Derek Dean
Derek Dean Senior Member • Posts: 1,969

Yep, my first copy arrived the same way.  It's quite a shock to open the box and see that, especially, when like yours, there appeared to be no damage to the shipping box.

I've also seen it reported before, and to be honest, it did give me pause about asking for a replacement, however, once you get a good copy and start using it, you'll see why so many people love this lens.  It's super fast focusing and tac sharp photos are worth the effort.

Better luck with your next one.

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
SparkleHedgehog

This reinforces the fact that this lens isn't built strong enough then as its not a one off occurrence

really scary stuff

-- hide signature --
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,666
A rugged 70-200

Derek Dean wrote:

Yep, my first copy arrived the same way. It's quite a shock to open the box and see that, especially, when like yours, there appeared to be no damage to the shipping box.

I've also seen it reported before, and to be honest, it did give me pause about asking for a replacement, however, once you get a good copy and start using it, you'll see why so many people love this lens. It's super fast focusing and tac sharp photos are worth the effort.

A few years ago, I was walking down a street in a quiet residential area with my family. There were too many of us to walk abreast on the sidewalk so I was walking in the gutter. I was carrying a Nikon D3s with the then-new Nikon 70-200 mm f/2.8 zoom in my right hand. Because the lens was so heavy, I was holding it by the quick-release plate attached to the tripod collar. I saw a parked car up ahead, and tried to step up onto the sidewalk, not noticing that the gutter was falling away to make way for a storm drain.

I put my left foot on the sidewalk, and caught my right foot on the curb as I swung it over. I almost got it under me, but I actually made matters worse as I put my weight on it and it forced me forward. I went down hard in a three point landing: my left hip, my left palm, and the upside down camera-and-lens combination in my right hand.

The damage? Technicolor bruises to my hip and palm, and abrasions to the lens hood and pentaprism cover. The camera worked fine. So did the lens, even the motion compensation.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Nikon D5 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
Glenn Barber Senior Member • Posts: 2,923

I've seen various reports of photographers accidently bumping the lens and having it split like this.

They soon find Sony claims it is not repairable.  Nothing like a Canon or Nikon - very poor construction standards

I have one of these and it now scares me to death to take it out of the bag.  Definitely not built for professional use!

Glenn Barber's gear list:Glenn Barber's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R III Sony a6500 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +8 more
pr099 Regular Member • Posts: 135

A $2000.00 lens that not only is it not built for professional use, it is not built for amateur use. I have banged some lenses against the rocks while hiking in the mountains and the worst I ever had was a severely chipped 77mm B&W CPL (brand new I might add). Sony lenses make Sigma look better EVERY day!

Hye Regular Member • Posts: 405

SparkleHedgehog wrote:

cotton wool

Is that a British term or something? I thought cotton came from plants, and wool came from animals...

Hye's gear list:Hye's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 II Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Sony FE 28mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +2 more
ZTJ Regular Member • Posts: 278

pr099 wrote:

A $2000.00 lens that not only is it not built for professional use, it is not built for amateur use. I have banged some lenses against the rocks while hiking in the mountains and the worst I ever had was a severely chipped 77mm B&W CPL (brand new I might add). Sony lenses make Sigma look better EVERY day!

$2000? You're getting ripped off if you're paying anywhere near that much. It's $1498 MSRP. Usually going as low as $1000 used.

At any rate, a split like this is most likely a bad assembly, not from abuse or anything like that.

ZTJ's gear list:ZTJ's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
ZTJ Regular Member • Posts: 278

Hye wrote:

SparkleHedgehog wrote:

cotton wool

Is that a British term or something? I thought cotton came from plants, and wool came from animals...

Things with a texture like that of sheep's wool can also be called wool, case in point: steel wool.

ZTJ's gear list:ZTJ's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
chrisrabe Senior Member • Posts: 1,614

I need to rearrange my camera bag again.. I only just recently reshuffled things so this lens was on bottom.

Don't think I trust it there now...

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +5 more
SparkleHedgehog

ZTJ wrote:

pr099 wrote:

A $2000.00 lens that not only is it not built for professional use, it is not built for amateur use. I have banged some lenses against the rocks while hiking in the mountains and the worst I ever had was a severely chipped 77mm B&W CPL (brand new I might add). Sony lenses make Sigma look better EVERY day!

$2000? You're getting ripped off if you're paying anywhere near that much. It's $1498 MSRP. Usually going as low as $1000 used.

At any rate, a split like this is most likely a bad assembly, not from abuse or anything like that.

I paid £799 brand new from a bricks and mortar UK Sony dealer

-- hide signature --
Derek Dean
Derek Dean Senior Member • Posts: 1,969
Re: A rugged 70-200

JimKasson wrote:

Derek Dean wrote:

Yep, my first copy arrived the same way. It's quite a shock to open the box and see that, especially, when like yours, there appeared to be no damage to the shipping box.

I've also seen it reported before, and to be honest, it did give me pause about asking for a replacement, however, once you get a good copy and start using it, you'll see why so many people love this lens. It's super fast focusing and tac sharp photos are worth the effort.

A few years ago, I was walking down a street in a quiet residential area with my family. There were too many of us to walk abreast on the sidewalk so I was walking in the gutter. I was carrying a Nikon D3s with the then-new Nikon 70-200 mm f/2.8 zoom in my right hand. Because the lens was so heavy, I was holding it by the quick-release plate attached to the tripod collar. I saw a parked car up ahead, and tried to step up onto the sidewalk, not noticing that the gutter was falling away to make way for a storm drain.

I put my left foot on the sidewalk, and caught my right foot on the curb as I swung it over. I almost got it under me, but I actually made matters worse as I put my weight on it and it forced me forward. I went down hard in a three point landing: my left hip, my left palm, and the upside down camera-and-lens combination in my right hand.

The damage? Technicolor bruises to my hip and palm, and abrasions to the lens hood and pentaprism cover. The camera worked fine. So did the lens, even the motion compensation.

Jim

Well, the first thing I did when I got my second copy was TRY to break it in half.  Not super hard, but I did some serious twisting, and during that first 30 days I gave it a good workout to make sure this copy could take the kind of use I tend to give my gear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always gentle with my equipment, and protect it with nice cases, but often, in the heat of a shooting session, when the light is quickly fading, I can be a bit less than gentle, so my gear needs to be able to withstand real world use.

I also take my gear to work with me, which means it rides on my bicycle to and from work, and then in my work bag in the bus with me all day, and I've had no issues so far with either the A7ii, the FE 24-70 f4, or the FE 70-200 f4.

However, with all that said, I AM surprised that such an obvious issue hasn't been addressed by Sony with some kind of update to the design of this otherwise fine lens.

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
ruffellprefley New Member • Posts: 20

Scary. I just ordered one.  I wonder if there's any way to "beef up" this seam before any breakage happens...

JimKasson

ruffellprefley wrote:

Scary. I just ordered one. I wonder if there's any way to "beef up" this seam before any breakage happens...

Sure. Adjust the lens to your favorite focal length. Adjust to your favorite distance. Mount to your camera of choice. Put all the switches in your favorite positions. Take a hot melt glue gun and fill all the seams you can find, including around the lens mount.

You're good to go.

As a bonus, this supplies weatherproofing.

Jim

-- hide signature --

JimKasson wrote:

ruffellprefley wrote:

Scary. I just ordered one. I wonder if there's any way to "beef up" this seam before any breakage happens...

Sure. Adjust the lens to your favorite focal length. Adjust to your favorite distance. Mount to your camera of choice. Put all the switches in your favorite positions. Take a hot melt glue gun and fill all the seams you can find, including around the lens mount.

You're good to go.

Jim

Gee, thanks?  Really helpful post.

Anyway, it doesn't appear that the barrel breaks along any kind of functioning seam, but rather just long a joint between two pieces of the outer barrel, so it's possible that a little epoxy along that one seam could help if one never wanted to re-sell

JimKasson

ruffellprefley wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

ruffellprefley wrote:

You're good to go.

Gee, thanks? Really helpful post.

Anyway, it doesn't appear that the barrel breaks along any kind of functioning seam, but rather just long a joint between two pieces of the outer barrel, so it's possible that a little epoxy along that one seam could help if one never wanted to re-sell

I'm sorry my attempt at levity displeased you.

Seriously, I doubt if there's something simple a photographer can do to dramatically improve the ruggedness of this -- or any other modern Sony -- lens. If that were the case, some Sony engineer should be looking for a job.

Jim

-- hide signature --

JimKasson wrote:

ruffellprefley wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

ruffellprefley wrote:

You're good to go.

Gee, thanks? Really helpful post.

Anyway, it doesn't appear that the barrel breaks along any kind of functioning seam, but rather just long a joint between two pieces of the outer barrel, so it's possible that a little epoxy along that one seam could help if one never wanted to re-sell

I'm sorry my attempt at levity displeased you.

Seriously, I doubt if there's something simple a photographer can do to dramatically improve the ruggedness of this -- or any other modern Sony -- lens. If that were the case, some Sony engineer should be looking for a job.

Jim

You're likely right about the unlikeliness of a dramatic improvement in strength. Cheers

Mordi
Mordi Senior Member • Posts: 2,304

ZTJ wrote:

Hye wrote:

SparkleHedgehog wrote:

cotton wool

Things with a texture like that of sheep's wool can also be called wool, case in point: steel wool.

I steel think it's not cotton wool😊

Mordi's gear list:Mordi's gear list
Sony a7 II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads