X-Pro 2 and X100T owners: Do you find the ERF indispensable or just nice-to-have?

Started Mar 7, 2016 | Discussions
Bjrn SWE
Bjrn SWE Regular Member • Posts: 436
Re: X-Pro 2 and X100T owners: Do you find the ERF indispensable or just nice-to-have?

I use the OVF most of the time. But the small ERF "window in window" comes in handy sometimes for checking focus and/ or exposure or even exact framing. Remember it has three magnification levels that you can switch by pushing the back command dial. You can also choose "Peak" in MF assist and then it's easy to confirm that focus is fine (or misfocused) even though the ERF is small. Also, if using manually focused lenses, the ERF gives you the opportunity to work with the optical viewfinder in ERF mode. One might call it the best of both worlds. Others may say useful, but not indispensable. I do like it, and it's definitely a unique feature for Fuji.

Bjrn SWE's gear list:Bjrn SWE's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
dmaclau Senior Member • Posts: 2,828
Re: X-Pro 2 and X100T owners: Do you find the ERF indispensable or just nice-to-have?

I use it often.  I shoot sports with the 90mm and OVF.  I glance at the little evf to double check what I have centered in the frame.  It's very handy

-- hide signature --

absolute power corrupts...absolutely

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
JH Lee New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Can't figure out WHY Fuji did that ?

I used to think it will be an alternative to the way I can focus like-a-leica also. However like you, I found having a bright electronic screen at the corner of the optical viewfinder distracting. My eyes always gets diverted to the little screen during framing, so it doesn't fit in with me like an actual "rangefinder"; the experience has always been the purest form.

After I realise erf doesn't work for me, I activate the magnifier instead anytime I need critical focus.
It's an experience closer to the leica Q. However I loses the framing and the ability to see out of the frame.

Hence, now I only uses back button focus + OVF. Sometime it misses focus, however I value the ability to ensure better composition and decisiveness over accurate focus any day of the week.

I will still uses the ERF instead of the fully magnified EVF focus assist to check if critical focus is desired. But I will also switch it off by default.

It is nice to have options.

Xshooter Regular Member • Posts: 248

JH Lee wrote: Hence, now I only uses back button focus + OVF.

Hi, can you explain to me how you use back button focus with OVF on the X-Pro2. Do you only use back focus in manual focus? Thanks

Xshooter's gear list:Xshooter's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,574

uniball wrote:

Sttringer wrote:

X100T owner and I find I use the ERF exclusively. I'm one of those people who won't buy a camera without a viewfinder, optical or electronic..I want something to bring up to my eye as I've found I get better, more stable performance from good technique.

Are you referring to the evf/ovf or the ERF? Sounds like the former when the topic is the latter.

The ERF appears only in the OVF.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more

I find it very useful on the X-Pro2 for 2 things:

1. Checking the actual point of focus, and fine-tuning focus, in the OVF. in this case, I display the ERF in magnified view.

2. Checking the image frame at wider than 18mm FL. In this case the ERF displays the entire image in unmagnified view.

Unlike some others here, I don't find the ERF too small to be useful, though I wouldn't call it indispensable either.  I use it almost all the time with the OVF, but this might be because I have the 16-55 F/2.8 mounted most of the time, which blocks that part of the OVF anyway, so it's nice to have a useful focusing aid there instead of just seeing lens.  When I zoom in to 55mm, the brightness frame (image frame) shrinks, as do the focus boxes. In that situation, the ERF is much larger than the tiny focus boxes, making it much easier to see precisely what is being focused upon. For manual focus, the ERF lets me use focus-peaking in the OVF.

When using the 14mm, I change the ERF to unmagnified view. That way I can see the entire image frame even when it's not visible in the OVF.

Beyond that, it lets me see the exposure just like the EVF without switching to the EVF. It's nice for all of these things.

I'm wondering from the comments here whether the ERF is smaller in the X-100 OVF than in the X-Pro2 OVF.  I wouldn't want it to be larger than it is because it would intrude too much into the OVF shooting experience, but I wouldn't want the ERF smaller either. Personally, I think it's a great aid that was very well designed. I use it almost all the time.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
JH Lee New Member • Posts: 19

Xshooter wrote:

Hi, can you explain to me how you use back button focus with OVF on the X-Pro2. Do you only use back focus in manual focus? Thanks

Hi, I uses MF and back button AF on an x100t, this will be similar to the x-pro2. To assist with auto-focus, I always push the manual focus forward or backward, towards whichever direction that is closer to my intended subject before focusing with back button. This is to minimises hunting, and speed up af since the lens travel less.  It doesn't solve all hunting issues, but it cuts it down by a fair bit when the operator steer the camera with the understanding of distance, depth of field and contrast.

Tbh, one of the reason why I did not opt for the x-pro2 body is the af-l or ae-l buttons(whichever you customised to) are a little awkward to press for back button focusing both affecting my handheld stability with the camera. But I know the placement works for others.

JH Lee wrote:

Xshooter wrote:

Hi, I uses MF and back button AF on an x100t, this will be similar to the x-pro2. To assist with auto-focus, I always push the manual focus forward or backward, towards whichever direction that is closer to my intended subject before focusing with back button. This is to minimises hunting, and speed up af since the lens travel less. It doesn't solve all hunting issues, but it cuts it down by a fair bit when the operator steer the camera with the understanding of distance, depth of field and contrast.

Tbh, one of the reason why I did not opt for the x-pro2 body is the af-l or ae-l buttons(whichever you customised to) are a little awkward to press for back button focusing both affecting my handheld stability with the camera. But I know the placement works for others.

Yes it does, but it also worked on the x-t1 when the ae-l and af-l buttons were reversed

bs1946
bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,977
I don't use the ERF

Before I bought my first serious digital camera in 2013, I used film based cameras with optical viewfinders for more than fifty years, and all but two of them were rangefinders. So now I have an X100T and I am very comfortable using the OVF or the EVF.

I haven't kept track of how much I use the OVF or the EVF, but since I got my X100T, I think I've used the ERF once or maybe twice just to make sure it worked.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M9 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +1 more
HannaS New Member • Posts: 5
Re: I don't use the ERF

I am also a user who only use the EVF which is already very convenient and I feel totally satisfied with it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads