X-Pro 2 and X100T owners: Do you find the ERF indispensable or just nice-to-have?

Started Mar 7, 2016 | Discussions
Mehran Khalili Forum Member • Posts: 99
X-Pro 2 and X100T owners: Do you find the ERF indispensable or just nice-to-have?

I’ve read a lot about the ‘Electronic rangefinder’ (ERF) function of the X-Pro2 and X100T, where a little EVF window pops up in the OVF for help with exposure and focusing. But I haven’t played with it much as I don’t own one of those cameras. It seems like a great way to have the best of both worlds - OVF and EVF - and a feature that only Fuji could offer, since the groundwork for it was laid back in 2011 with the X100.

Yet, the reviews always seem to talk about ERF as a ‘nice-to-have’ feature. But that’s (obviously) not how Fuji pitches it. So I wanted to ask anyone that owns either of these cameras: Does having the ERF really change the way you shoot? Do you use it most with the mini EVF zoomed in or zoomed out? Or are you just glad it’s there, but are sticking with the full EVF for most of your shooting?

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Immanuel Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: X-Pro 2 and X100T owners: Do you find the ERF indispensable or just nice-to-have?

I have the X100T. I don't use the ERF. To me, it is too small to make anything but very rough focus checks.

Immanuel's gear list:Immanuel's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,070
Re: X-Pro 2 and X100T owners: Do you find the ERF indispensable or just nice-to-have?

I sold my X100T. When I had it I found the ERF to be useless. For my eyes, to small to be of any use and an obstruction to composition.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE2, XF-16, 18, 23, 27, 35/1.4, 18-55, XC16-50, Sony RX100 M3

Sttringer Junior Member • Posts: 26

X100T owner and I find I use the ERF exclusively. I'm one of those people who won't buy a camera without a viewfinder, optical or electronic..I want something to bring up to my eye as I've found I get better, more stable performance from good technique.

Sttringer's gear list:Sttringer's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X100T Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X70 Leica M-Monochrom +1 more
akin_t Veteran Member • Posts: 3,320

Sttringer wrote:

X100T owner and I find I use the ERF exclusively. I'm one of those people who won't buy a camera without a viewfinder, optical or electronic..I want something to bring up to my eye as I've found I get better, more stable performance from good technique.

I think you're confusing ERF for viewfinder. X100T has both an optical and an electronic VF; what OP is asking is if the 'Rangefinder Mode' (i.e. small digital overlay in Optical Viewfinder) is useful.

Personally I don't use it, I haven't found it useful at all.

akin_t's gear list:akin_t's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,070

Sttringer wrote:

Are you referring to the evf/ovf or the ERF? Sounds like the former when the topic is the latter.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE2, XF-16, 18, 23, 27, 35/1.4, 18-55, XC16-50, Sony RX100 M3

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 11,712

I do neither-- I do most of my shooting my X100 with the OVF only--no ERF, no inserts.  I use the EVF primarily for macro (where it is required) and sometimes just for fun, since I've never had a camera with an EVF before.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more

uniball wrote:

Sttringer wrote:

Are you referring to the evf/ovf or the ERF? Sounds like the former when the topic is the latter.

Kind of referring to both really. I use the ERF function most exclusively and don't opt to use the EVF as it is. That little lever on the camera that switches the function doesn't get used.

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X100T Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X70 Leica M-Monochrom +1 more
Jose Viegas
Jose Viegas Senior Member • Posts: 1,845

EVF only for me, I didn't even remember my X100T had that feature.

Jose Viegas's gear list:Jose Viegas's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 +7 more
94 Senior Member • Posts: 1,074

What's an ERF? Something to eat?

I'll try one.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +14 more

94 wrote:

I'll try one.

Its kind of like a Twinkie!

Tony Bonanno Senior Member • Posts: 1,000
Can't figure out WHY Fuji did that ?

I'm using the X-Pro2. I wondered if I was missing something ?? All the hype about the ERF. I use the OVF and the EVF about equally and like them both, depending on the situation. I experimented with the ERF while using the OVF and found myself wondering 'WHY?'. The focusing options are already quite reliable without it. It is too small, it is not telling me anything that I don't already know, and just slows my shooting down by adding another piece of information for my eye to process.  I really like my Fuji gear for my street work, but this feature has me scratching my head ? If I'm obviously missing something, please enlighten me.

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP Professional Member, APA National Member
www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D5 Leica M10 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
wrenhunter Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: Can't figure out WHY Fuji did that ?

Overall, I'd say nice to have. I'm coming from film rangefinders (Voigtlander), so having a "real" RF viewfinder sounded great to me. But in practice, as others said, it's very tiny. I tend to use OVF alone, EVF once in a while. Manual focus assist is a feature I use more than ERF.

DonHF Forum Member • Posts: 94

ERF is great if you want to use OVF and focus accurately in either MF mode or with any adapted glass.

DonHF wrote:

ERF is great if you want to use OVF and focus accurately in either MF mode or with any adapted glass.

I'd forgotten about the adapted glass where using only manual focus on non-Fuji glass.  Guess I had missed something :-).

-- hide signature --

www.bonannophoto.com

bhop0073 New Member • Posts: 3

I guess this thread's been here a while, but I just found it... so..

I use the little ERF all the time in my X100T, it seems i'm the minority. I have it set to zoom in really close, so when I want to manual focus, it acts as my rangefinder patch, or when I want to focus check something with AF, It saves me from having to push the button to do it.

I also use a Leica M6, so i'm wondering if that has something to do with me liking an extra focus option, with regards to its rangefinder patch.

OP Mehran Khalili Forum Member • Posts: 99

Thanks for the info. Interesting take...

John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,189

Tony Bonanno wrote:

I experimented with the ERF while using the OVF and found myself wondering 'WHY?'. The focusing options are already quite reliable without it. It is too small, it is not telling me anything that I don't already know, and just slows my shooting down by adding another piece of information for my eye to process.

Those who come from mechanical rangefinder cameras may find it more comfortable... we don;t all use cameras the same way.

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
photodan1
photodan1 Contributing Member • Posts: 972

Sttringer wrote:

94 wrote:

I'll try one.

Its kind of like a Twinkie!

Tastes like chicken!

-- hide signature --

www.dankaneimages.com

photodan1's gear list:photodan1's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more

Hi John,

Yes, I agree.. I came from Leica and other mechanical rangefinders and I love the Fuji Optical Viewfinder (OVF), but find the addition a tiny Electronic view (ERF) in the corner of the OVF to be a bit distracting and of very limited usefulness, at least for my shooting style.  But like you said, everyone has different preferences..

Cheers,

Tony

-- hide signature --

www.bonannophoto.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads