P900 takes a shot at Mars

Started Mar 5, 2016 | Discussions
MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,785
P900 takes a shot at Mars

Perhaps a glimpse of a polar cap and planitia/planum?

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
Nikon Coolpix P900
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Forum Pro • Posts: 10,731
Re: P900 takes a shot at Mars

WOW, Mario! My jaw dropped

That's fantastic!

I could say you got a very clear sky, it's true, but equally true is that I couldn't have achieved such image in a lifetime! When you said that "P900 is a telescope with a camera attached to it", I took it just as a witty comment, but you proved now it's true!

Congratulations,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,163

Hi Mario, very awesome shot, looks like polar cap to me. Very cool!! 

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
OP MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,785

Augustin Man wrote:

WOW, Mario! My jaw dropped

That's fantastic!

I could say you got a very clear sky, it's true, but equally true is that I couldn't have achieved such image in a lifetime! When you said that "P900 is a telescope with a camera attached to it", I took it just as a witty comment, but you proved now it's true!

Congratulations,

Augustin

Thanks Augustin.  Anyone with a P900 can do anything. This just takes a tripod, manual focus (use magnified focus peaking) and a little patience.

The sky was clear, yes, but the atmosphere was a bit turbulent (bright stars twinkling) which is not ideal.  If you try under steadier skies and/or stack a few shots or take video, a better shot can be had.

Cheers

Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more

KJaay wrote:

Thanks kJ. To capture general features on planets (eg, major belts on Jupiter, Saturn's rings and now this, is pretty cool, I agree

I forgot to mention to turn off IS. Leaving it on under such magnification can cause the subject to dance once or twice before settling.

Cheers

(Saturn enlarged ~2x)

Actually, I didnt realise until now, the ring at 2 o'clock is pointing towards us and the ring at 8 o'clock is behind Saturn - you can see its shadow cast on the rings!

Ianperegian
Ianperegian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,597

That's very impressive, Mario, as are your Jupiter and Saturn shots.

I took the liberty of applying "shadows/highlights" with PSE to your Jupiter shot, and its moons (I think that's what they are?) became visible.  (Maybe you already knew that, because of the shape of the crop?)

This was my result:

Ian

-- hide signature --
 Ianperegian's gear list:Ianperegian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Olympus PEN-F

Ianperegian wrote:

That's very impressive, Mario, as are your Jupiter and Saturn shots.

I took the liberty of applying "shadows/highlights" with PSE to your Jupiter shot, and its moons (I think that's what they are?) became visible. (Maybe you already knew that, because of the shape of the crop?)

This was my result:

Ian

Thanks, Ian. I think it was best to brighten them because the moons were still a bit too faint. I did actually brighten them because they were even fainter.

From left to right: Io Europa Ganymede Callisto

Microshooter
Microshooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,179

These are absolutely AMAZING!!! I almost want to print/frame the Saturn and Jupiter shots and tell my friends that I know the guy who shot these with his camera like mine!!!!!! I never....ever....would have thought this was possible! Did I already say these  are AMAZING ?

-- hide signature --

Dan
"I never read, I just look at pictures"- Andy Warhol
Currently shoot with Nikon D800, V1/V2, P900 & Sony HX400V, Lumix ZS40 & LX7

Microshooter's gear list:Microshooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 +16 more

Microshooter wrote:

These are absolutely AMAZING!!! I almost want to print/frame the Saturn and Jupiter shots and tell my friends that I know the guy who shot these with his camera like mine!!!!!! I never....ever....would have thought this was possible! Did I already say these are AMAZING ?

Thanks Dan.  Your enthusiasm is refreshing

Microshooter

MarioV wrote:

Microshooter wrote:

These are absolutely AMAZING!!! I almost want to print/frame the Saturn and Jupiter shots and tell my friends that I know the guy who shot these with his camera like mine!!!!!! I never....ever....would have thought this was possible! Did I already say these are AMAZING ?

Thanks Dan. Your enthusiasm is refreshing

I like to give credit when credit is due. And these ARE DESERVING!!

-- hide signature --

Dan

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 +16 more
Microshooter

Did you have a star tracker on it? How long was the exposure....friends are asking 😀

-- hide signature --

Dan

Microshooter wrote:

Did you have a star tracker on it? How long was the exposure....friends are asking 😀

No tracking, just a cheap tripod (Slik F740).  The exif is shown:  1/20s, ISO 100, f/6.5, 999.6mm (5600mm image scale in 35mm equivalent)

BryanHJ Forum Member • Posts: 60

Wonder what would be possible with image stacking, probably a serious pain without tracking. It's incredible that is possible at all.

KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,163

Awesome images, thanks you!!!!!!!!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more

BryanHJ wrote:

Wonder what would be possible with image stacking, probably a serious pain without tracking. It's incredible that is possible at all.

You would definitely need to track. The stacked images would increase signal and end up with a nicer image without the blotchy artifacts.

OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 7,460

MarioV wrote:

KJaay wrote:

Thanks kJ. To capture general features on planets (eg, major belts on Jupiter, Saturn's rings and now this, is pretty cool, I agree

I forgot to mention to turn off IS. Leaving it on under such magnification can cause the subject to dance once or twice before settling.

Cheers

(Saturn enlarged ~2x)

Actually, I didnt realise until now, the ring at 2 o'clock is pointing towards us and the ring at 8 o'clock is behind Saturn - you can see its shadow cast on the rings!

Mario, you can actually make out the Cassini Division on Saturn here and the Great Red Spot on Jupiter also (lower right).  I see it in this other P900 photo also (with a shadow of Ganymede, Jupiter's largest moon, at the upper right.)

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +9 more
OutsideTheMatrix

MarioV wrote:

KJaay wrote:

Cheers

(Saturn enlarged ~2x)

Mario are these all single shot unstacked and not using video mode?  I can see Cassini's Division there.

So you enlarged the picture of Saturn 2x after taking the shot or using the digital zoom feature?

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +9 more
OutsideTheMatrix

MarioV wrote:

Perhaps a glimpse of a polar cap and planitia/planum?

Southern Polar Cap (the smaller one) is clearly there!  Did you use single shot mode (unstacked) and not a video file for this?

-- hide signature --

OutsideTheMatrix

MarioV wrote:

BryanHJ wrote:

You would definitely need to track. The stacked images would increase signal and end up with a nicer image without the blotchy artifacts.

so all of yours are single shot mode unstacked untracked and not from video files?  Mario, why is a tracker necessary for stacking?  I figured you could do it with a regular tripod and the software will align them later.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads