Educate me on Pentax

Started Mar 3, 2016 | Discussions
Parks71a Regular Member • Posts: 402
Educate me on Pentax

I am researching a new system and I accidentally came across Pentax. I know a lot about Sony, Nikon, and canon. The specs of the k3 and features appear to be much better than the other systems. Here's some questions.

what mount is for the k3? So I can research lenses.

what mount for the K1?

how well does the astrotracer work?

how good is the weather seal? Can I shoot in the rain or snow?

cost of lenses vs Nikon and canon?

3rd party support for either mount?

why are these cameras so inexpensive compared to competitors?

any downsides to the two systems u notice from use?

i know I can and I will research a lot of this but I feel the best feedback is from real users so thanks for any input!!

Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,206
Re: Educate me on Pentax

Parks71a wrote:

I am researching a new system and I accidentally came across Pentax. I know a lot about Sony, Nikon, and canon. The specs of the k3 and features appear to be much better than the other systems. Here's some questions.

what mount for the K1?

Both K-3 and K-1 use the same K-mount. Actually all (beyond 645 and Q) Pentax bodies use K mount. So if you find 35 year old lenses in a second hand shop, they will mount and function on your brand new K-1 (or a K-3 for that matter)

Best to google some reviews and see the results of people using it.

With a WR lens sure. A lens with AW or DA* have better sealing though. I've taken a WR lens on a K-5II out in the middle of an ice storm.. it had ice coating the whole camera and didn't have any issues (except on/off switch got a little stiff).

about the same, sadly.

minimal at the moment but it is there. Go to b&h and search for K-mount lenses.

Pentax as a brand tends to aim for best bang for the buck. Smaller market too. Less marketing. Canikony tend to inflate prices because there is more demand there.

what two systems? APS-C vs FF? Both use the same mount with Pentax.

DA = APS-C (but some might have a FF circle or stop down to minimize vignetting)

F,FA,D-FA = Full frame autofocus

A = Full frame, manual focus, auto exposure

M,K = Full frame, manual focus, manual exposure

on the old M and K lenses, use the green button to meter. But since the SR is in-body they are stabilized lenses.

i know I can and I will research a lot of this but I feel the best feedback is from real users so thanks for any input!!

no worries! But really the best way to research some of this is to look at the quality of the results (such as the astrotracer). What I might say is great and amazing someone else might say is poor and lackluster.

Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,485

Parks71a wrote:

Dear Parks 71a

I'll try to give you a few answers - but I can't anywer everything.

what mount for the K1?

The mount of K3 and K1 is the same - you can use all lenses of both of the cameras - but some lenses with limitations:

The first generation of K-lenses (K and M generation) both have no electric contacts - thus, you can't adjust the aperture by the camera - but you can use them in M mode and press a green button on the back of the camera to adjust the measuring of actual aperture and adjustment of correct exposure time. It is an extras step, but it works well.

The A generation lenses have the eletric contacts to so you can use all modes of the camera to control exposure times and aperture.

The first three generations I was talking about so far did not have AF - but there is an option to use a focus trap to trigger the shutter if camera system detects a sharp structure by its AF system.

The next generations of lenses all have AF - and you can use them including a propper working of the AF system for any of the new cameras. The first generations have a mechancial screwdrive AF which works fast and exactly - but for most models the AF system is loud.

The newest lenses have a silent and fast motor.

You find a good overview here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/evolution-of-pentax-k-mount.html#page_1

If you decide for K1 there a few lenses you can use with this camera only with a cropped sensor as they were designed for APS-C.

Don't know - no expriences.

Weather sealing is no problem for snow and rain - there are some video clips where tha capability of the system is tested. But it is no camera you should use below the water (diving). I remember a case where someone was on a tour and his K5 with a canoe and water was poured over the camera frequently - after his tirp there was water inside the camera.

You can check on your own (e.g. at Amazon.com). I former times the Pentax system was less expensive compared to Canon or Nikon - now the lenses are regarding the price nearly the same (maybe a little cheaper) - but keep in mind that many Pentax lenses are weather sealed which is a costly feature.

There are many lenses from 3rd party companies for Pentax even though the list is not as long as for Canon or Nikon. But my experience (I have a lot of Sigma lenses) is that these lenses work fine on Pentax cameras. I read about problems with other camera systems and third party lenses - anf from this background information the Pentax camera maybe support the third party lenses better than the bodies of other companies. The recognition of the correct EXIF information is sometimes not so good (my experience with Sigma lenses).

Pentax always was a fair brand with a good price/performance relation - and I am happy that Ricoh did not change this.

I don't have experience with Canon or Nikon. Each camera has its strength and also weak aspects. You will find more lenses for Canon and Nikon. Canon may have a better AF system and Nikon has a very good flash system.

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,847

Parks71a wrote:

K-mount, Any Pentax or third party K-mount lens will go on this camera. Also M42 with adapter, Even the ancient M37 with adapter, Pentax 645 and 6x7 lenses also with adapters... All adapted will allow for stop-down metering, catch in focus (some may require minor tricks for this), All will allow for SR

what mount for the K1?

Ditto

As far as i know, no complaints

Good and yes, it may not survive a full dunk in a lake

Sometimes more sometimes less

Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Samyang, Laowa(Venus), Mitakon and dozens of others over the ages, not all lenses from each manufacturer is offered

To be competitive, they're late to the FF market and don't have a huge market share so they've got to do something to keep people buying their stuff

Its weakest point may be that the AF is not quite as good as the big 2 (C & N) however despite what some might say its very far from bad, its just not spectacular.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

chriskana Regular Member • Posts: 391

Parks71a wrote:

what mount for the K1?

K3 and K1 are both K mount.

Works well, check reviews though.  It comes built in on K-1 and K-3ii, not on K-3 though (though you can mount an external unit on the hot shoe of k-3)

Great! Absolutely.  I actually ski with a K-5iis + DA18-135 WR attached to my shoulder strap of my backpack, completely exposed, while snowing like crazy... no problems.  I also frequently pour clean water of my camera while in the field to wash off any dust, saltwater, etc..

Depends on which lenses

Decent but clearly not the same level as Canikon

They advertise less? Don't sell as well? Probably many reasons.

None from my point of view, but I'm not a true sports photographer, and I'm certainly not professional.

You mentioned the k-3 above; just be aware that the K-3ii may be better suited for you if you want the astrotracer functionality.  If onboard flash is more important to you, stick to k-3; if GPS is more important then look at K-3ii.

I've been shooting with the Pentax system since 2007, never once regretted my decision.  For me the ergonomics are unmatched by any brand.  That is of course a personal choice though.

Good luck with your decision!

chriskana's gear list:chriskana's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Ricoh GR Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 +21 more
ragmanjin
ragmanjin Contributing Member • Posts: 959

Parks71a wrote:

I am researching a new system and I accidentally came across Pentax. I know a lot about Sony, Nikon, and canon. The specs of the k3 and features appear to be much better than the other systems.

They are.

Here's some questions.

what mount for the K1?

As already mentioned, they both use the decades-old K-mount. This is fantastic as there are so many old legacy lenses out there that can keep you shooting while you save up for the latest and greatest glass.

There are a few reviews and samples online, and a discussion here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57098509

These two videos should pretty much answer that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX15rE7a7SM

Generally about the same, though sometimes they are quite a bit cheaper for equivalent lenses such as the "nifty 50."

I expect this will grow again, but it's not terrible now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ipp=100&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c0&ci=274&setNs=p_PRICE_2%7c0&N=4288584247+4108103565&srtclk=sort

I feel the big three all tend to inflate their prices and charge the maximum the market will bear, while Pentax prices a lot more aggressively with their bodies.

Some people complain about the continuous AF performance, but I never felt it was a problem with the K-3. It was even able to keep up with my toddler running towards me in a very poorly-lit room when I was doing my original tests.

The K-1 should be have a noticeable improvement with its new SAFOX chip.

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks,
Raj.

Image quality sample from K-3

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

pixelsmithy Contributing Member • Posts: 540

I'll try not to repeat answers you have already been given, but I've owned Pentax DSLRs since late summer of 2008. I've never regretted going with Pentax and with their innovations they just keep getting better and better. I've now got a K-3 II.

Possibly like you, I originally thought that Canon or Nikon were the "only choices". Then I saw a positive review of the Pentax in MacUser magazine (of all places). I started comparing features and quickly saw that I got a lot more "bang for the buck" with Pentax. Here's what I especially liked:
Not being wealthy, I liked that I could use inexpensive manual focus lenses (and previous generation autofocus lenses) on the Pentax because they maintained backwards mount compatibility (mount AND flange to film/sensor distance: SMART). (Two bargain "must have" lenses, IMHO are the Pentax-F 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 (with close focus capability) and the Pentax-F 70-210mm f/4-5.6. Nice compact designs and you can probably buy BOTH lenses on the used market for well under $150. They are from the full frame film era, so they will cover the full frame sensor in the K-1. (Expect the prices on those lenses to start going up once the K-1 is shipping).

Secondly, I loved the in-body shake reduction. That means I get image stabilization with EVERY lens I stick on the front, even a vintage Takumar screwmount lens (with the screwmount to K adapter). Why pay more for image stabilization over and over inside each lens?

Thirdly, I loved that Pentax uses a magnesium subframe. The cameras did not feel like plastic toys. Great ergonomics and feels like a "real camera".

Fourth, I loved that Pentax used weather and dust sealing (which you can also find in their WR-designated (weather resistant) lenses. Google the soldier's video in Iraq/Afghanistan burying his nice Pentax in the desert sand and then washing it off in the shower, if you think that is a joke.

Today, I would add the incredible innovations that Pentax has made like the built-in Astrotrack and GPS, the Pixel Shift Resolution mode, and the use of the shake reduction system to act as an AA filter (if/when you need it). If you don't, you've got the benefit of no AA filter for sharpness. THESE features are available on NO OTHER BRAND.

All of this would mean nothing if Pentax didn't deliver great image quality, but it does. Since they switched to Sony sensors, they get better quality out of them than Sony engineers do.

Few people have actually gotten to see or shoot with a K-1 yet, but it won't surprise anyone if it is ever bit as awesome as its specs sound. The built-in Wi-Fi is new for Pentax users and I know quite a few are looking forward to tethering.

If you want some SUPER lenses, don't forget to check out the Pentax Limited line. Small/lightweight and superb is a winning combination.

Hope this helps!

-- hide signature --

Check out my (UPDATED 09-26-2015) Gallery! http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/355548730/photos/slideshow

pixelsmithy's gear list:pixelsmithy's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,428

Parks71a wrote:

what mount for the K1?

Questions from here on, I can answer with some experience:

I've shot my K-3 in the middle of the ocean with salt spray hitting me in the face, and it wasn't affected one bit.  That was with a DA* prime lens -- with a WR zoom, you might have to be more careful.

It varies from year to year -- sometimes about the same, other times significantly better.

Definitely less support than the bigger brands, but there are definitely some interesting third party options available.

Because if they were priced just as high, everybody would play it safe and just buy the big brand.

Autofocus is still a bit behind that of companies that make $5000 sports cameras.

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Wallace Ross
Wallace Ross Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

I will leave it to other to talk about some of the other aspects but this image should give you a sense of the weather sealing.

My K-3 has been this wet numerious times since 2013 and its never once had an issue.  Its sealed completely it just isnt designed to withstand emersion and water under pressure.

-- hide signature --
Regarding the AstroTrack...

I have not yet gotten to test the AstroTrack on the K-3II. It may be a bit better than before because the SR system of the K-3II is improved over previous models (and probably similar components to the ones used in the K-1). However, I had the same technology in the Pentax O-GPS1 model that I used with my previous K-5.

First off, nobody has anything like this. It is ingenious in concept. Taking long exposure astrophotos with only a tripod mounted camera is the stuff of science fiction, but Pentax did it. Also keep in mind that ANY astrophotography gets more demanding with longer focal lengths. So if you are interested in doing Milky Way astrophotos, you will probably get a higher percentage of "keepers" than you do with a 135mm or 200mm lens. Secondly, with AstroTrack, the more focal length you use the shorter your longest possible tracking times will become.

Secondly, if you know about digital astrophotography in the 21st Century, you probably know that good astrophotos are generally made by aligning and stacking subexposures to bring out detail. DeepSkyStacker is one such tool So you take exposures as long as you can, without getting star trails. Fortunately, you can get some really good astrophotos by stacking short exposures in software. I've shared this before, but here is a set of 6 subexposures, each of them 45 seconds to 1 minute, stacked in DSS. This was taken with a 135mm lens on a tripod mounted K-5 using the AstroTrack built into the OGPS-1.

People are amazed when I show them this and tell them that no telescope was used.

You don't have to mess with polar alignment using AstroTrack, but you do have to do a Precise Calibration of your camera. This can be fiddley & frustrating at times. Once you've got it, don't turn off your camera or you will have to do it again before resuming AstroTracking. I think that AstroTrack is a great "gateway drug" into more serious Astrophotography, but it is nice to know that you have the capability built into your camera where it is always available to you.

-- hide signature --

Check out my (UPDATED 09-26-2015) Gallery! http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/355548730/photos/slideshow

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 2,050

You already have got lots of useful replies.

For more details, I suggest you go to PentaxForum.com, where you will find a complete database of all Pentax lenses ever made, from vintage screwmount M42 mm back 50 years ago to the most recent.

There are user's review of most ofl these lenses, and in depth staff review of almost all current new glass or camera.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/

Pentaxians are few, but many are fans: they feel proud to shoot with very well made cameras designed "by photographers for photographers".

When you are used to Pentax K5 or K3, other brand DSLR feel cheap plastic, save the >2000 €/$ flagships.

Pentax AF has improved a lot in the last few years.

In K3, it is accurate, fast and responsive, and doesnt lag much behind similarly priced cameras by Canon or Nikon. But it is of course not as efficient in tracking targets in continuous AF as top grade Canon or Nikon cameras, which cost twice the price of a K3.

I shoot Pentax since my Spotmatic bought in 1970 when I was a student, and still working.

I keep it as a "souvenir", but I dont shoot film any more since my first DSLR, a Pentax Ist-DS bought in 2005 (which still produces quite good raw 6MP pictures, but of course lags far behind recent cameras as regards AF and low light/high ISO performance).

My present DSLR is a brand new K3, but I will keep my K30 bought 2 years ago and a pleasure to use (see my flickr account).

The K3 is in another league, magnesium alloy body, lots of controls and customizing possibilities, 2 SD slots, feeling like a top grade professional tool.

Did not need it, but my son first bought one, upgrading from K5, thus I could try it when he visited me for Xmas, and it was addictive....

Addictive also are the Pentax "limited" lenses, very compact nicely machined top grade lenses, which dont specially shine on test charts or brick walls, but deliver outstanding pictures in real life scenes (see details on Pentax Forums):

-full frame: FA 31 f1.8, FA 43 f1.9, FA 77 f1.8

-APS-C: DA 15 f4, DA 21 f3.2, DA 35 f2.8 macro (1:1), DA 70 f2.4, DA 20-40 f2.8-4 WR.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +24 more
Englund Regular Member • Posts: 471

Hi there,

When it comes to WR I was very comfortable rinsing my K5 camera under the tap after a very dusty and messy experience (see link below). Last time I posted this picture some other members frowned a little and suggested that this was maybe to take it too far, perhaps I was just lucky. Also, check for postings by a guy called Heie2 ( I think) who has taken his pentaxes on army trips to desert countries where they have been subjected to all kinds of abuse.

I have also been skiing downhill with my k5 hanging exposed around my neck in about -10 C (add wind chill factor to that) with no problems, except for one or two times when the camera froze (pun intended) and I had to take out and reinsert the battery.

All of the above was done with the WR kit zoom DA 18-55 attached.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56975594

cheers,

Mikael

Parks71a wrote:

what mount for the K1?

-- hide signature --

~Swede with part of my soul forever in Scotland~

Englund's gear list:Englund's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +5 more
OP Parks71a Regular Member • Posts: 402

Wow, some great info here, thank you to all that replied. I'm very impressed with the water sealing! I do a lot of long backpacking trips and hiking so I wanted something sealed decent. I didn't expect it to be that good!

fast auto focus doesn't matter to me. I don't shoot birds or moving kids. I shoot mostly landscapes or posed photos in the elements. I didn't realize they were using Sony sensors either.

I think I might buy into this system. So much bang for the buck! The K1 looks like a hell of a lot of camera for much less than the D810 and it's got real weather sealing!

One  thing I don't get is, what's the point of GPS in a camera?  It's not like I won't know where my photo was taken....

OP Parks71a Regular Member • Posts: 402

pixelsmithy wrote:

I'll try not to repeat answers you have already been given, but I've owned Pentax DSLRs since late summer of 2008. I've never regretted going with Pentax and with their innovations they just keep getting better and better. I've now got a K-3 II.

Possibly like you, I originally thought that Canon or Nikon were the "only choices". Then I saw a positive review of the Pentax in MacUser magazine (of all places). I started comparing features and quickly saw that I got a lot more "bang for the buck" with Pentax. Here's what I especially liked:
Not being wealthy, I liked that I could use inexpensive manual focus lenses (and previous generation autofocus lenses) on the Pentax because they maintained backwards mount compatibility (mount AND flange to film/sensor distance: SMART). (Two bargain "must have" lenses, IMHO are the Pentax-F 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 (with close focus capability) and the Pentax-F 70-210mm f/4-5.6. Nice compact designs and you can probably buy BOTH lenses on the used market for well under $150. They are from the full frame film era, so they will cover the full frame sensor in the K-1. (Expect the prices on those lenses to start going up once the K-1 is shipping).

Secondly, I loved the in-body shake reduction. That means I get image stabilization with EVERY lens I stick on the front, even a vintage Takumar screwmount lens (with the screwmount to K adapter). Why pay more for image stabilization over and over inside each lens?

Thirdly, I loved that Pentax uses a magnesium subframe. The cameras did not feel like plastic toys. Great ergonomics and feels like a "real camera".

Fourth, I loved that Pentax used weather and dust sealing (which you can also find in their WR-designated (weather resistant) lenses. Google the soldier's video in Iraq/Afghanistan burying his nice Pentax in the desert sand and then washing it off in the shower, if you think that is a joke.

Today, I would add the incredible innovations that Pentax has made like the built-in Astrotrack and GPS, the Pixel Shift Resolution mode, and the use of the shake reduction system to act as an AA filter (if/when you need it). If you don't, you've got the benefit of no AA filter for sharpness. THESE features are available on NO OTHER BRAND.

All of this would mean nothing if Pentax didn't deliver great image quality, but it does. Since they switched to Sony sensors, they get better quality out of them than Sony engineers do.

Few people have actually gotten to see or shoot with a K-1 yet, but it won't surprise anyone if it is ever bit as awesome as its specs sound. The built-in Wi-Fi is new for Pentax users and I know quite a few are looking forward to tethering.

If you want some SUPER lenses, don't forget to check out the Pentax Limited line. Small/lightweight and superb is a winning combination.

Hope this helps!

Do the 2 must have lenses u recommend have auto focus or are they Manuel? What wide angle options are good? Manuel focus would be fine for wide angle

Parks71a wrote:

One thing I don't get is, what's the point of GPS in a camera? It's not like I won't know where my photo was taken....

GPS is useful for tagging your images locations of origin. Flickr, for example, can show where on the planet a particular photo was taken with the info.

I believe it is also used by that AstroTrack feature. It needs to know your location on the planet (mainly exact latitude) which it determines by GPS satellites. Then it also takes info from the inclinometers in the camera to know where in the sky you are pointing so as to calculate how to move the sensor. (It needs to move the sensor much faster if you are pointed at something closer to the celestial equator (say, Saggitarius) as opposed to something closer to the celestial pole (for example, the Double Cluster in Perseus).

-- hide signature --

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,294

Parks71a wrote:

One thing I don't get is, what's the point of GPS in a camera? It's not like I won't know where my photo was taken....

If all your photos are geotagged, then you can search your photo repository after all photos taken at a certain location. Or maybe use google map and get a map with one dot for every photo you have taken. Klick on a dot, and see the photo.

Of course, a photo of the Eiffel tower is easy to understand where it is taken. But say you are biking through Holland and take pictures here and there or maybe hiking in some mountains and taking pictures of e.g. flowers. Then, maybe it is nice to get the location.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
bladerunner6 Contributing Member • Posts: 964

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Parks71a wrote:

If all your photos are geotagged, then you can search your photo repository after all photos taken at a certain location. Or maybe use google map and get a map with one dot for every photo you have taken. Klick on a dot, and see the photo.

Of course, a photo of the Eiffel tower is easy to understand where it is taken. But say you are biking through Holland and take pictures here and there or maybe hiking in some mountains and taking pictures of e.g. flowers. Then, maybe it is nice to get the location.

More Astrotracer shots.

http://poirierstephane.free.fr/photos/index.php?/category/132

bladerunner6's gear list:bladerunner6's gear list
Pentax K-50 Pentax K-70 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +12 more

More Astrotracer shots.

http://poirierstephane.free.fr/photos/index.php?/category/132

He is my hero in the arena of work with AstroTrack.

-- hide signature --

MaKeR Contributing Member • Posts: 892

Parks71a wrote:

Wow, some great info here, thank you to all that replied. I'm very impressed with the water sealing! I do a lot of long backpacking trips and hiking so I wanted something sealed decent. I didn't expect it to be that good!

fast auto focus doesn't matter to me. I don't shoot birds or moving kids. I shoot mostly landscapes or posed photos in the elements. I didn't realize they were using Sony sensors either.

I think I might buy into this system. So much bang for the buck! The K1 looks like a hell of a lot of camera for much less than the D810 and it's got real weather sealing!

Speaking as a backpacker and hiker myself:

Since weight is such a concern on long backpacking trips, I wonder why you wouldn't prefer a crop-sensor camera, and its lighter lenses instead of the K-1. For backpacking photos, the image quality from the lighter-weight Pentax K-5 II and K-3 (II) cameras leaves nothing to be desired, IMO, and they are also fully weather-sealed and full-featured. Have look at how tiny and lightweight the Limited DA prime lenses are: 15 mm, 21 mm, 40 mm, and 70 mm are great options for this use case. The DA 35 Limited macro and the 100 WR macro are also good options. (And only one 49 mm polarising filter would be needed to cover all of these lenses.) The DA 20-40 Limited is another option if you would like to use a zoom lens; or the DA 16-85.

I hope that this helps to educate you about Pentax!

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,405

MaKeR wrote:

Parks71a wrote:

Speaking as a backpacker and hiker myself:

Since weight is such a concern on long backpacking trips, I wonder why you wouldn't prefer a crop-sensor camera, and its lighter lenses instead of the K-1. For backpacking photos, the image quality from the lighter-weight Pentax K-5 II and K-3 (II) cameras leaves nothing to be desired, IMO, and they are also fully weather-sealed and full-featured. Have look at how tiny and lightweight the Limited DA prime lenses are: 15 mm, 21 mm, 40 mm, and 70 mm are great options for this use case. The DA 35 Limited macro and the 100 WR macro are also good options. (And only one 49 mm polarising filter would be needed to cover all of these lenses.) The DA 20-40 Limited is another option if you would like to use a zoom lens; or the DA 16-85.

I hope that this helps to educate you about Pentax!

I'm also a long time backpacker, hiker, and also a kayaker and Pentax and I go back to the early 70's with my ME Super. I went from a Nikon D90 and 4 lenses to the K-50 and happy as could be. The weather proofing has saved my bacon a few times and one time in particular when my K-50 was on the floor of a white water raft in 4-6 inches of water for a few minutes (thought it went overboard on a big drop) and continues to work like a charm. I shoot mostly landscapes and just recently added a DA 50mm F1.8 prime..affordable and a great performer. With features like weather resistance, 100% view OVF, 2 control wheels, focus peaking, crazy high ISO (and usable too), and excellent ergonomics, it's just a fun camera to use. Regarding weight: most of my backpacking is in our northern Sierra's and consists of 2-4 nights out at elevations up to 10,000 and I find the weight difference between a M4/3 and the K-50 minimal. NOw if I add my Sigma 18-250 too, then yes, that's all I would want to carry. Choices everywhere.

Good luck with your new camera whatever you choose. Is it possible to rent a Pentax for a few days?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads