Is WinZip worthwhile nowadays?

Started Mar 3, 2016 | Discussions
wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,855
Is WinZip worthwhile nowadays?

I haven't used it for a Long time.. I visited their website and it is up to v20 with a Standard and a Pro version now. It does support cloud storage, which may be useful.

I've come across issues with regard to .exe files like Canon updates that need a CD to install. Otherwise, Canon charges for the disk when the downloaded updater could be used if it can be unpacked.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 15,443
Re: Is WinZip worthwhile nowadays?

wklee wrote:

I haven't used it for a Long time.. I visited their website and it is up to v20 with a Standard and a Pro version now. It does support cloud storage, which may be useful.

I've come across issues with regard to .exe files like Canon updates that need a CD to install. Otherwise, Canon charges for the disk when the downloaded updater could be used if it can be unpacked.

I haven't used WinZip since buying WinRAR many years ago.  At the moment, I mostly use 7-Zip , and consider it to be one of the best compression utilities available.  And it's free!

I've never come across a downloadable installer/updater that needed to be unpacked before using, but 7-Zip will open pretty much any package that can be unpacked.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 4,405
Ditto, 7-Zip n/t

No text.

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon D70 +25 more
OP wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,855

Patco wrote:

wklee wrote:

I haven't used WinZip since buying WinRAR many years ago. At the moment, I mostly use 7-Zip , and consider it to be one of the best compression utilities available. And it's free!

I've never come across a downloadable installer/updater that needed to be unpacked before using, but 7-Zip will open pretty much any package that can be unpacked.

I've used 7-zip and it works.

"Canon's software for their EOS cameras is quite useful, and there are regular updates available, but the problem has always been that they are only updates - you need an original version of the EOS software installed, before they will install."

Canon's policy isn't a problem, unless you've lost your CD, just bought a second hand camera with no CD, or out on a job and left your CD back in the office ...or are trying to install on a machine without an optical drive.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html

-- hide signature --

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,834

You can download the "Installer CD" for a camera. There's a link where you enter your camera's serial # and the download precedes. I've done that for my EOS-M on different computers.

Here's an example. Scan down to EOS Digital Solutions Disk:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/support-dslr/eos-m-ef-m-22mm-stm-kit

Pictus
Pictus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,563
7-zip is the way!!!

Even better to use with a full feature file manager like the cross platform open source Double Commander.

mfait Contributing Member • Posts: 690

Patco wrote:

wklee wrote:

I haven't used WinZip since buying WinRAR many years ago. At the moment, I mostly use 7-Zip , and consider it to be one of the best compression utilities available. And it's free!

Totally agree. 7-zip is the way to go.

Regarding WinZip: I used to purchase it on a maintenance plan until version 17.5, when I noticed that the installation file was significantly larger that the previous version. During installation I decided to read the EULA (the first time I ever read one carefully) and it appeared that it was going to install additional software from Corel that I did not care about. I was not happy about this and wrote to them to tell them. They sent me an alternate link for the package that only contained the WinZip utility. I was not happy about them trying to sneak in additional software, for a paying customer, that they would try to charge for later, and cancelled my annual upgrade assurance plan. I still have version 17.5 installed alongside 7-zip.

This is about the time I discovered 7-zip, and wish I had found it sooner. I would have save me a bit of money.

7-zip is much more lightweight than WinZip, being a bout a 5MB installation compared to about 150MB for WinZip 17.5 (probably much bigger now for more recent versions). Sure it had additional features, but I did not care about having it Zip2Send for e-mails, resizing images, or converting files to pdf. I had other programs that were better at doing these functions.

-- hide signature --

Patco

mfait's gear list:mfait's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 450D
brn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,200

Others have suggested 7-zip and I agree.  However, I'm not a fan of it's user interface.  It's less intuitive and integrates poorly, compared to the competition.  If you can get past that, it works very well.

brn's gear list:brn's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DC-G100
Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 2,362

WinRAR for doing everything.

7Zip if just doing zip files.

Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 18,124

Robert Zanatta wrote:

WinRAR for doing everything.

Why do you recommend a piece of software that (a) costs money after a 40 day trial, and (b) is proprietary and not commonly used?

Is it that great?

7Zip if just doing zip files.

7zip does many other types of archiving and compression including 7z, 7z, ZIP, Gzip, bzip2, xz, tar, and WIM. It can unpack RAR (see above).

brn wrote:

Others have suggested 7-zip and I agree. However, I'm not a fan of it's user interface. It's less intuitive and integrates poorly, compared to the competition. If you can get past that, it works very well.

I agree, the UI is not ideal. However after you get used to it, the application works very well.

Personally I like the command line zip -r to archive recursively, and unzip to unpack. Much easier than the 7-zip UI.

Pictus
Pictus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,563

CAcreeks wrote:

I agree, the UI is not ideal. However after you get used to it, the application works very well.

Personally I like the command line zip -r to archive recursively, and unzip to unpack. Much easier than the 7-zip UI.

That is why I use a file manager like Double Commander, sooooooooooo much easier/practical...

It supports ZIP/RAR, 7-zip....

Richard Townsend Regular Member • Posts: 104

I threw out WinZip years ago when it started getting really bloated with a lot of stuff I didn't need.

I then used 7Zip for a while. It worked quite well but went for ages between stable releases, I wasn't sure that it was being maintained.

Recently I have switched to Bandizip which is also free, has a clear, straightforward interface and handles far more compression formats than I will ever need.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 15,443

Richard Townsend wrote:

I threw out WinZip years ago when it started getting really bloated with a lot of stuff I didn't need.

I then used 7Zip for a while. It worked quite well but went for ages between stable releases, I wasn't sure that it was being maintained.

It was recently updated Dec. 31, 2015, so it is being maintained .

Recently I have switched to Bandizip which is also free, has a clear, straightforward interface and handles far more compression formats than I will ever need.

-- hide signature --

Patco

Richard Townsend Regular Member • Posts: 104

Patco wrote:

Richard Townsend wrote:

Yes I was delighted when V15.12 was released in November 2015.
The previous stable release was V9.20 in November 2010.

-- hide signature --

Patco

Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 2,362

I don't mind paying for software that I use.

Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
7-zip

Richard Townsend wrote:

Patco wrote:

Richard Townsend wrote:

Yes I was delighted when V15.12 was released in November 2015.
The previous stable release was V9.20 in November 2010.

7-zip was at v9.2 for such a Long time that I thought it may have been abandoned. Thanks for the update!

-- hide signature --

Even crazier is that the WinZip Self Extractor is a trail version and the costs US$50.00?

http://www.winzip.com/prodpagese.html

-- hide signature --

CAcreeks
Re: 7-zip

7-Zip can mount or read an ISO file (on disk, not on a CD or DVD). Windows 7 cannot do this without an externally installed program such as Virtual Clone Drive or Virtual CD-ROM.

Nice!

CAcreeks wrote:

7-Zip can mount an ISO file (on disk, not on a CD or DVD). Windows 7 cannot do this without an externally installed program such as Virtual Clone Drive or Virtual CD-ROM.

Nice!

Thanks for the Indo. I didn't know that!!

-- hide signature --

CAcreeks

wklee wrote:

7-Zip can mount an ISO file (on disk, not on a CD or DVD). Windows 7 cannot do this without an externally installed program such as Virtual Clone Drive or Virtual CD-ROM.

Nice!

Thanks for the Info. I didn't know that!!

I'd like to take back the "mount" word because although 7-Zip can open files in an ISO, it can't deal with links to other files. I had to extract the ISO in order to run applications on it.

Anyway, beats having to install a special program.

Evidently Windows 8 and 10 can mount an ISO directly.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads